PDA

View Full Version : Suffering from extreme fatigue

thisisme
03-15-2003, 08:29 PM
Ladies have any of you suffered from constantly being tired? No matter what I do I feel sleepy and sluggish. I don't eat red meat or pork. I exercise about twice a week. I've started going to bed at the same time and getting up at the same time.

but i'm still tired! i can't stay awake all day. a sleepy haze comes over me. i take a multivitamin, calcium, and msm so my essentials are covered.

i've tried docs but they just run a million blood tests and find nothing.

any suggestions?

krazeenapps
03-15-2003, 09:11 PM
thisisme, YOUAREME!!!!

I swear, for the life of me, I can't keep from falling asleep. I'm at my worst when I'm in a classroom setting, or have to do something academic (negative associations with the classroom, I guess). Anyway, it's so bad for me that some classes I can't go into without some coffee beforehand! And I know that's really unhealthy, and this whole situation is frustrating, but there's nothing else I can think of to do.

When I go home for Spring Break, I'm having a blood test done, because I also exercise, don't eat red meat or pork, I sleep, I take my vitamins...I seem to do all the right things and still get all of the negative results.

Have you tried naps during the day? To re-energize yourself? It might help. I've tried them, but under not-so-normal circumstances (trying to re-energize myself after pulling 4am and 5am nighters). When I can get back to a normal schedule I will try again.

Do you eat at specific times during the day? Or do you snack in between? I notice that when I can keep myself physically occupied while doing what I need to do, I can sort of fight the fatigue. That's why it's helpful for me to even have a mug so that I can just keep sipping while I'm in class, or some fruit or veggies to munch on.

Do you have certain times during the day that you get tired? I notice I'm much more of a night person, and really have it bad in the morning when all of my classes are. Then, I feel tired until around mid-afternoon or when I pick up a book, whichever comes first :roll: . But of late, I've just been tired all day everyday.

I don't know what to do at this point. Sleeping my life away would be nice, but I have things to do that can't wait. I'm hoping that something gives in and this tiredness stops. Let me know if you find out anything, and I'll do the same.

thisisme
03-15-2003, 09:47 PM
i do take naps during the day but that just makes things worse. i can't nap like normal people. i sleep for a couple hours!

i eat small meals all day instead of 3 big meals.

i'm tired during daylight hours and at night i'm wide awake and can't sleep. this is not good considering that the rest of the world is on a day schd.

i have no idea what to do. i'm going to go get checked again b/c i feel like i'm getting worse.

i'll let you know if i find anything.

EarthTones
03-16-2003, 04:41 AM
Hi Ladies...

Are you both eating well balanced diets? I know you both mentioned that you don't eat red meat or pork, but how is the rest of your diet? You may be overloading on carbs...I know I am a carb addict and I used to always feel sluggish when I was in carbohydrate overload.

Also, has your doctor evaluated you for a sleep apnea (when you stop breathing for periods of time while sleeping)? Do you find it hard to get out of the bed in the morning? A friend of mine was experiencing the same symptoms you ladies have mentioned and after several months of blood tests and evaluations her doctor evaluated her for a sleep apnea, which he found to be the cause.

I wish you both well...hopefully your docs can help you solve this one...take care!

afronappy
03-16-2003, 05:21 AM
liquid acidophilus energizes me and calms my tummy too. it is available at health food stores.

i remember there was one really good vitamin supplement that seemed to infuse me with energy but i forgot the name of it! it was 2 expensive 4 me at the time. it was not generic and it wasn't geared toward men or women. someone else mentioned the brand name centrum gave her lotsa energy in the VITAMINS thread...

i prayed 4 u!

~blessings

thisisme
03-16-2003, 05:28 AM
thank you both earthtones and afronappy for your well wishes and prayers!

curlygirl
03-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Ladies, I hope you find some relief! I was wondering if you drink plenty of water. Many people are dehydrated and don't know it. Deyhdration causes extreme fatigue. I have been working on drinking more water and have noticed a difference in my energy level.

ollypitts2
03-16-2003, 06:34 PM
In addition to the other good tips offered by previous posters, I would add monitoring your moods.

Even a low grade depression could severely disrupt sleep patterns. The typical problems are sleeping too much or not sleeping enough (waking up early). Depressed people do not always feel sad and tearful, sometimes the depression comes in the form feeling worried and agitated. The symptoms of this type of depression look a little bit like an anxiety problem, but the accompanying lack of motivation, fatigue, sense of hopelessness about worries makes it fall into the category of a mood problem. Its called an agitated type of depression. In general, when serotonin (a brain chemical) is in short supply, sleep, mood, and sex drive are altered or thrown off kilter. This is why sometimes our bodies can tell us about our moods before our minds become aware of anything going awry.

Also, lots of people use various methods to cope with high stress. Some people drink alcohol, use drugs, or eat comfort foods, and some hit the pillow, or at least feel like they need to sleep. Sleeping is usually a way of recharging your batteries, but it can also a way to become numb to high stress or the pain of sadness.

Also check and make that you're not keeping your glucose levels on a rollercoaster at times when you need them to be more stable. Try to avoid eating fruits or other foods in the morning and right before bed that are high in sugar. I used to drink juice in the morning but I discovered that the sugar was causing me to feel a little sluggish or drowsy by mid-day. Now I start the day off with green tea, a pear or apple, and whole grain cereal or piece of toast. I'm energized until I re-fuel at lunch, and eat a very light dinner.

Do go back to your doc and get checked, but also take a careful look at how your doing wholistically, not just physically. Know that body and mind are inextricably linked.

Oya
03-16-2003, 06:44 PM
along with what everyone else said....... has the doctor checked everything... including your iron count... could you be anemic perhaps??

krazeenapps
03-16-2003, 07:39 PM
I thank all of you for your responses, I'll definitely be looking into some of these ideas further.

I haven't been to the doctor yet, but I'm hoping I will be able to within the next week. For the time being, my condition isn't going to get any better because I have two exams (on the same day) to worry about studying for, so my sleep pattern will have to be disrupted.

My water intake has gotten much better since I got one of those Nalgene bottles (I don't know, I used to have those Dasani bottles and would always have to be refilling, and so I didn't bother to), so all I have to do is fill 2 times and get my water for the day, and I do that. I will admit, however, that I have been draining myself out emotionally, with being a peer counselor and at the point where I have to decide what I want to do with myself for the next two years of school, and trying to balance friends with schoolwork and my counseling job. I've already decided to take an emotional hiatus next year. I'm "biploar" when it comes to people:
I've always been an introvert and been happy being an introvert, but with being a counselor, I can't afford to be that way so I have to really throw myself out there and it's a 24-7 living situation and it's just a lot for me right now. People are a lot to handle.

Yeah, so I put all that out there. Again, thanks for the ideas, now I don't have to feel like what I thought of were my only answers, because they really weren't.

dayna
03-16-2003, 07:47 PM
I'm always fatigued, also. I think mine may be in part due to depression. Right now I'm looking into amino acid supplements to see if it helps, particularly L-tyrosine and L-tryptophan. Maybe you could do some research into alternative therapies to see if it helps your fatigue.

Also, has your doc checked you for subclinical hypothyroidism? I was reading an article that stated docs seldom screen for anything other than overt clinical or mild hypothyroidism. I'll look for it and post the link.

dayna
03-16-2003, 07:49 PM
Found it:

http://www.mts.net/~baumel/MoveOverProzac.html

thisisme
03-16-2003, 11:55 PM
Ladies, I hope you find some relief! I was wondering if you drink plenty of water. Many people are dehydrated and don't know it. Deyhdration causes extreme fatigue. I have been working on drinking more water and have noticed a difference in my energy level.

now that you've mentioned water. i've had water all day today and i made it through. i normally drink coffee in the morning but i had nothing but water. thank you for making me aware.

someone else asked if i'm anemic. no not anymore. i used to be several years ago, but i know what those sypmtoms are and i've got that covered.

so i guess i'm going to cut back on my caffeine and drink piles of water and see how that goes.

thanks for the concern ladies.

noname
03-17-2003, 02:21 AM
Ladies have any of you suffered from constantly being tired? No matter what I do I feel sleepy and sluggish. I don't eat red meat or pork. I exercise about twice a week. I've started going to bed at the same time and getting up at the same time.

but i'm still tired! i can't stay awake all day. a sleepy haze comes over me. i take a multivitamin, calcium, and msm so my essentials are covered.

i've tried docs but they just run a million blood tests and find nothing.

any suggestions?When I had that problem I also had tons of blood tests and even thyroid tests done and nothing came back abnormal....I tired exercising more and everything and like you I sleep like a baby during the day when I am home and am up at night. My doctor also told me that if I hang out in my bedroom alot during the day and watch TV on or in the bed then my body will not be able to differentiate between being up or down for the night. She told me that I need to be sitting up during the day in another room and when I am ready to go to bed then get in the bed but only get in if I will be sleeping. That helped a little as far as me sleeping at night but I still get sleepy around 12-1 everyday.

Naturaljoy
03-17-2003, 02:38 AM
It may be Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. See the link below and read up on it to see if it sounds like what you're experiencing. Take care

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/ar...icle/001244.htm (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001244.htm)

EarthTones
03-17-2003, 03:38 AM
Wow...NaturalJoy, you were reading my thoughts! I heard a commercial for Chrinic Fatigue Syndrome on the radio in the car earlier tonight. I was thinking I would sign on when I got home and post about it for the ladies on this thread. I am glad to see that you got to it sooner...there is a lot of info on it, and it often goes undiagnosed.

Best of luck to you ladies...I hope you find some relief soon.

curlygirl
03-17-2003, 08:36 PM

now that you've mentioned water. i've had water all day today and i made it through. i normally drink coffee in the morning but i had nothing but water. thank you for making me aware.

someone else asked if i'm anemic. no not anymore. i used to be several years ago, but i know what those sypmtoms are and i've got that covered.

so i guess i'm going to cut back on my caffeine and drink piles of water and see how that goes.

thanks for the concern ladies.

You're welcome! I hope it helps. Caffeine is a big energy drainer - even though it peps you up at first, once it wears off, it generally leaves you more fatigued than before you took it. I've been off caffeine for quite a while now, and I really don't miss it! Good luck.