PDA

View Full Version : My hair won't curl up anymore

Knowledge
02-19-2004, 10:59 PM
I've been natural for about a year now. Two months ago I straightenedmy hair for a funeral, out of respect for my family's wishes. Now my hair won't curl up anymore. What can I do to correct the problem?

Siennasilk
02-19-2004, 11:04 PM
I would do another big chop and never touch a pressing comb again no-matter what anyone's "wishes" are for MY hair. Once hair is damaged, it is damaged.

Ace9
02-19-2004, 11:14 PM
You probably can't do anything! Have you read some of the posts that warn against hot combing your hair? Your probably new. One of things is that you can have permanent damage. It was a risk you took...and sadly you were one of the many unfortunate ones.

I have heard many a females say that if you deep condition your hair continuous times over a weeks time you can get your hair back to normal. I don't really think so.

The only think I can say is to deep condition wash you rhair, if that doesn't work. You'll have to wait until your hair grows back and you'll have to cut it off. So if that means going to a TWA, you may have to. Our hair is fragile, chemicals and extreme heat can seriously damage your hair.

I would suggest after this..never to hot comb your hair unless of course you have your own electric onen that has the temperature dials so you can monitor how much heat, you want.

A9

Dolliesdaughter
02-19-2004, 11:18 PM
Hate to tell you. You hair is damaged and you have to cut it off and start it all over again. If you try to hang on to it and grow it out you will get frustrated. Please take heed. I am sure if you go back a few pages you will read about other people and their hot comb\straightening mishaps. Learn from your mistakes so you won't repeat them.

BTW: Why would you straighten your hair for a funeral? What business is it of other people what you do with your hair?

deecoily
02-20-2004, 12:24 AM
Sorry this happened to you. Burned hair cannot be resurrected.

Next time, do not allow someone else to cause you to damage your own body. There is nothing WRONG with your napptural hair. Nothing. There is something wrong with the mindset of the people who demanded you burn it straight.

Funeral or not, they had no right to ask you to do that to your hair.

**angry**

~Dee~

southerncurl
02-20-2004, 12:29 AM
:app What she said. :rainfro

mz_katz
02-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Alken41100@Feb 19 2004, 06:18 PM

BTW: Why would you straighten your hair for a funeral? What business is it of other people what you do with your hair?
:-P yeeeeeah??..I'd like to know what straighten'n your hair has to do with paying your respects to the passing of someone :doh

nicetry
02-20-2004, 02:36 AM
Whoever asked you to straighten your hair 'out of respect' was incredibly disrespectful to you. What an offensive-a*^ thing to say to a grown woman. (and I wish you had told them that) Geez.

delleaux
02-20-2004, 02:41 AM
Straightening your hair because YOU want a change is one thing but for respect? That was very insulting. We cut our noses to spite our faces sometimes. Like natural hair is an abomination when it is the very root of who we are. I can't stand that mess. Especially when I am in the grocery store with a headwrap they act like I am crazy. I just keep my head high. I am proud of being a natural sista.

Nappy4Me
02-20-2004, 03:32 AM
I'm sorry for your loss and for what you had to go through. Like everyone has said once it's damaged it is basically damaged. You can either cut it off or start the transitioning process again.

I think we really need to somehow keep a warning about straightening on the home page or a thread that has information for nappy newbies to help prevent incidents like these.

Knowledge don't worry this too will pass. It may take a while to get back to where would like to be, but you've learned alot and now you have knowledge and experience.

- Nappy4Me :rainfro

NappySoul
02-20-2004, 03:49 AM
YOU DON'T HAVE TO CUT YOUR HAIR THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ANDRE THE RAPPER AND HE SAID IT TOOK ABOUT A MONTH FOR HIS HAIR TO CURL BACK UP. GIVE IT A MOMENT. IF AFTER A MONTH ITS STILL STRAIGHT YOU MIGHT HAVE TO CUT IT.~~GOOD LUCK~~

Sekhmet
02-20-2004, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by NappySoul@Feb 19 2004, 07:49 PM
YOU DON'T HAVE TO CUT YOUR HAIR THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ANDRE THE RAPPER AND HE SAID IT TOOK ABOUT A MONTH FOR HIS HAIR TO CURL BACK UP. GIVE IT A MOMENT. IF AFTER A MONTH ITS STILL STRAIGHT YOU MIGHT HAVE TO CUT IT.
Uh, I guess you didn't notice that her original post said that it's been 2 months already! It is damaged. No amount of deep conditioning and treatments will reverse that.

ini
02-20-2004, 04:19 AM
Good Lord, not again! :nohuh

Sekhmet
02-20-2004, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by ini@Feb 19 2004, 08:19 PM
<taking a deep sigh as I don my asbestos catsuit>

As long as pressing is touted as "not a big deal" and "just another styling option" instead of the Nappy Russian Roulette that it truly is, this will continue to happen no matter how many threads like this there are on this board.

I used to silently ask "I wonder who it&#39;ll be next time?". Now it&#39;s become "I wonder who it&#39;ll be next month/week?" At the rate people seem to be oppressing their naps, it might just turn into "I wonder who it&#39;ll be tomorrow?" :duck

EarthTones
02-20-2004, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by Sekhmet+Feb 19 2004, 11:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sekhmet @ Feb 19 2004, 11:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ini@Feb 19 2004, 08:19 PM
<taking a deep sigh as I don my asbestos catsuit>

As long as pressing is touted as "not a big deal" and "just another styling option" instead of the Nappy Russian Roulette that it truly is, this will continue to happen no matter how many threads like this there are on this board.

I used to silently ask "I wonder who it&#39;ll be next time?". Now it&#39;s become "I wonder who it&#39;ll be next month/week?" At the rate people seem to be oppressing their naps, it might just turn into "I wonder who it&#39;ll be tomorrow?" :duck [/b][/quote]
:app :app :app A-Men! :app :app :app

Journey
02-20-2004, 05:00 AM
Wow..I had no idea that using a hot comb could cause your hair to not go back to its original form again(ex. curls). Thanks for this info because I was CLUELESS!! Not that I had hot combed my hair but I was thinkin of trying it if I decided to wear a straight style...Thanks so much for this info everyone..

Dolliesdaughter
02-20-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Nappy4Me@Feb 20 2004, 03:32 AM
I think we really need to somehow keep a warning about straightening on the home page or a thread that has information for nappy newbies to help prevent incidents like these.

A hot iron comb is dangerous no matter what. You shouldn&#39;t need a warning about that. When momma said don&#39;t touch the stove when you were younger you didn&#39;t touch. Hot things burn. We are adults not kids. Come on now.

tdhayes
02-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Alken41100@Feb 20 2004, 08:27 AM
A hot iron comb is dangerous no matter what. You shouldn&#39;t need a warning about that. When momma said don&#39;t touch the stove when you were younger you didn&#39;t touch. Hot things burn. We are adults not kids. Come on now.
Sometimes, it takes things being spelled out for folks to pay attention to it... :duck

napturallyme
02-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Alken41100+Feb 20 2004, 01:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alken41100 @ Feb 20 2004, 01:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nappy4Me@Feb 20 2004, 03:32 AM

A hot iron comb is dangerous no matter what. You shouldn&#39;t need a warning about that. When momma said don&#39;t touch the stove when you were younger you didn&#39;t touch. Hot things burn. We are adults not kids. Come on now. [/b][/quote]
I really think people don&#39;t think there is a risk because many of us had our hair pressed when we were a kid and it snapped back with no problem, at least mine did. I know hot combs are a risk, but not everyone&#39;s hair gets permanently straightened from them. I would not use a hot comb because it&#39;s very hard to control the heat on it. But, I didn&#39;t know about it permanently straightening hair until I read about it a million times on this board since in my past experience it never happened to me.

J_Crysy
02-20-2004, 02:43 PM
I would think that another option would be to transition the damaged hair off, just as many of the posters transition out of a relaxer. You could trim each month, continue to take care of your hair and wear protective styles until the damaged stuff is fully trimmed off.

J~

vailady
02-20-2004, 02:53 PM
It sounds to me as though you relaxed it. But, then maybe not, because I don&#39;t know the texture of you hair. If you have a fine grade of hair, it may take longer for it to curl back up. How curly was it previously? My hair sometimes acts kinda funny to. I am not to sure whether it should be diagnosed as "damaged" because I don&#39;t know exactly what you did.

If you could inform more...maybe someone that shared your same experience could give you some helpful/productive tips.

chickiebrown
02-20-2004, 03:02 PM
Yeah leave the hot comb alone. If you don&#39;t want to cut it all off try setting your hair on very small perm rods while you chop off an inch or two every month. It&#39;s not the same pretty coils, but at least it will match your new hair growth better than straight strands.

Sorry this happened to you. Alot of use have felt the pressure to conform too. I gave in before too and curled my hair with curling irons, not as hot, but still damaging the smell alone made me sad. It&#39;s funny but I never smelled hair burning when I was permed, now it makes me sick at the thought of it.

Button2004
02-20-2004, 04:50 PM
:fight uuuurrrggghhhh!!! it just makes me so mad that people think that our nappy hair is an insult. i am so sad to hear this story. i will learn from your experience. NO ONE will pressure me into pressing this head full of napz...thatz fo sho. now that i have seen this, i know i will not press/curl my hair ever again. y should we, when there are so many other options? ever since my big chop, i have not even used a blow dryer on my hair....it air dryz and that is just fine. Bless u alwayz and i with u the best with your hair. :blab

netta1
02-20-2004, 05:05 PM
I Netta1 promise to never even LOOK at a hot comb. :nohuh

marissasensei
02-20-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by napturallyme@Feb 20 2004, 06:40 AM
I really think people don&#39;t think there is a risk because many of us had our hair pressed when we were a kid and it snapped back with no problem
Or maybe it just seemed like that because we were trying to fight our naps. If your primary concern is getting your hair straight, you&#39;re not really going to be all that concerned with the condition of your naps when your hair &#39;goes back.&#39;. Most press and curl devotees aren&#39;t going to notice that their hair won&#39;t nap up anymore, because they&#39;re not interested in maintaining the integrity of their tightly-coiled hair so they can rock a fierce puff. Their frame of reference is straight hair, and once the hair goes back, they&#39;re not really focusing on whether it&#39;s still 4a or whether heat damage has made it look like a 2b. N&#39;ah mean?

carmenjones
02-21-2004, 01:15 AM
Okay, so does this apply to ANY heating tool, i.e. Ceramic flat irons, etc? One of the marvelous things about ceramic irons (supposedly) is that it heats evenly instead of having "heat spots" so your hair isn&#39;t damaged (I&#39;m guessing). I know of girls who are natural that use ceramic irons and they say they dont have any problems with them.

Ace9
02-21-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by carmenjones@Feb 21 2004, 01:15 AM
Okay, so does this apply to ANY heating tool, i.e. Ceramic flat irons, etc? One of the marvelous things about ceramic irons (supposedly) is that it heats evenly instead of having "heat spots" so your hair isn&#39;t damaged (I&#39;m guessing). I know of girls who are natural that use ceramic irons and they say they dont have any problems with them.
yeah it goes for flat irons. If it stands for blow dryers, flat irons are in teh mix, hair colouring and hot combs. All deadly..if their put in your hair.....it&#39;s at your own risk.

A9

HuGrad2002
02-21-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Sekhmet+Feb 19 2004, 11:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sekhmet @ Feb 19 2004, 11:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NappySoul@Feb 19 2004, 07:49 PM
YOU DON&#39;T HAVE TO CUT YOUR HAIR THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ANDRE THE RAPPER AND HE SAID IT TOOK ABOUT A MONTH FOR HIS HAIR TO CURL BACK UP. GIVE IT A MOMENT. IF AFTER A MONTH ITS STILL STRAIGHT YOU MIGHT HAVE TO CUT IT.
Uh, I guess you didn&#39;t notice that her original post said that it&#39;s been 2 months already! It is damaged. No amount of deep conditioning and treatments will reverse that. [/b][/quote]
ITA

CURLYMOM
02-21-2004, 02:35 AM
Do not cut your hair. I press my hair. When I want my curls back, all I do is wash my hair and the curls appear. Try some nexxus shampoo and moisturizing conditioner.

Melanizm
02-21-2004, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by CURLYMOM@Feb 21 2004, 02:35 AM
Do not cut your hair. I press my hair. When I want my curls back, all I do is wash my hair and the curls appear. Try some nexxus shampoo and moisturizing conditioner.
it&#39;s been over 2 months...I&#39;m sure she&#39;s washed her hair since then without her curls coming back.

:smug

It baffles me that people think washing the hair over and over is going to make the curls snap back...or using a moisturizing shampoo & conditioner is going to help....

once hair is burnt straight (aka damaged) to the point it won&#39;t snap back, it&#39;s probably not going to curl back until the damaged part is cut or grown out...

Natural Kinks
02-21-2004, 06:07 AM
Gotta say that I&#39;m feelin you on this one Mel. Come on y&#39;all... :doh

elani75
02-21-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Melanizm+Feb 20 2004, 09:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Melanizm @ Feb 20 2004, 09:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-CURLYMOM@Feb 21 2004, 02:35 AM
it&#39;s been over 2 months...I&#39;m sure she&#39;s washed her hair since then without her curls coming back.

:smug

It baffles me that people think washing the hair over and over is going to make the curls snap back...or using a moisturizing shampoo & conditioner is going to help....

once hair is burnt straight (aka damaged) to the point it won&#39;t snap back, it&#39;s probably not going to curl back until the damaged part is cut or grown out...

[/b][/quote]

Thank you for saying this, Melanizm. That should be all there is to it.

But in case it wasn&#39;t clear, on Page 55 of Pamela Ferrell&#39;s book "Let&#39;s Talk Hair," considered by many as the natural hair care bible, "Although it is not toxic like a chemical straightener, the heat press can be damaging in the hair is overly straightened and repeatedly stretched by the very hot comb and heavy hair oil. After a time, the hair ends will stretch, lose elasticity, become thin and uneven, and NOT REVERT to its natural curl."

In another book titled the "Black Woman&#39;s Guide to Beautiful Hair" by Lisa Akbari, on Page 126, she says, "Straightening processes are temporary, as we all know, but the hair may not be natural after pressing. Many women are pressing their hair thinking that this is home base and that there&#39;s no way to cause the same damage with a pressing comb as you can with a relaxer. Unfortunately, this is not true. If your hair is pressed too often or too much pressure heat is applied, your strands will suffer from heat damage. I call this overprocessing with a pressing comb. THE WAY TO KNOW (caps my emphasis) if your hair is suffering from this type of heat damage is very simple.

"Rinse your natural hair with warm water and apply shampoo. Your hair should QUICKLY turn back to its natural, kinky state. If you notice that all or part of the strand is STILL STRAIGHT, THEN YOUR HAIR IS OVERPROCESSED." She advises keeping the comb at no more than 150 degrees if you press your hair.

Your best bet is to cut your hair and start all over again. If it hasn&#39;t gone back to its natural texture in two months, your hair is damaged, overprocessed, etc. Cut it off and get on with the growing. If texture/curl pattern-changing shampoos and conditioners were the answer to undoing damaged hair, I doubt this would be news or that we&#39;d be having this discussion. The only real solution is cut it off.

-e

happylockss
02-29-2004, 06:24 PM
I was just going to press today, am having second thought, it does change your hair, My hair is not the same, Altought it is still thick, theres a lost of curls, When I shed some hair, I am shocked by the way it looks, at 1st I did not think it was my hair, I dont know what type it is, or suppose to be, my hair is fine now, I dont know how to explain it, its still very curly and thick, Like, the other day I have french braids, my mom ask if I had pressed my hair out and so did my sister, I dont know

Beautifulnappi
02-29-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by ini@Feb 19 2004, 11:19 PM
Ini, you&#39;re a trip....lol

delleaux
02-29-2004, 11:01 PM
That hair is fried, died to the side. It must be cut.

queenamina
03-01-2004, 01:22 AM
Peace,

CUT IT!!!!!!!! And don&#39;t let anyone tell you how to wear your hair unless it&#39;s really YOUR decision. Your hair was fine from the start. Straightening it didn&#39;t do any justice Sis, not at all. Start anew by chopping that off and like the other sistas said, DON&#39;T DO IT AGAIN.

Be Peace N Guided

Queen Amina

au-naturel
03-01-2004, 05:24 AM
As a teenage my hair was straightened weekly. It will curl back in about 3-6 weeks. In the mean time - keep it moisturized and also try twisting it and then unravel it. That will put some body and waves in it until it reverts.

indigo2
03-01-2004, 05:37 AM
I hate the pressing comb!!!
I cannot bring myself to use it anymore!

It burns! I have three scars on my arm that are just now starting to fade from when I burned myself 5+ years ago when I was natural.
When I think of that thing I want to run far far far away :shocked
I avoid that thing like a cat avoids water

As for the sista who pressed all curl from her hair:

:blab
now that you know better, you&#39;ll do better. Now if ya give in agian....
well, :doh
you have no one to blame but you...

but we&#39;ll still be here for ya with pleenty of tuff luv to go around!

ini
03-01-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Beautifulnappi+Feb 29 2004, 06:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Beautifulnappi @ Feb 29 2004, 06:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ini@Feb 19 2004, 11:19 PM
Ini, you&#39;re a trip....lol [/b][/quote]
it&#39;s just sad. we have one of these threads a week! people....pressing may damage your hair. gracious!!!!!! :rolling

ThisIsKia
03-01-2004, 08:04 AM
Can we make this topic a "Sticky" for future references, plllllease?!?! :huh

kendrajanae
03-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Are you kidding me?! Hotcombs can permanantly straighten hair? Or is it only when too much heat is applied? Help me out &#39;cause I&#39;m transitioning. I pretty much stay away from hotcombs, but should I leave it alone completely?

Sekhmet
03-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by ini@Feb 29 2004, 11:47 PM
it&#39;s just sad. we have one of these threads a week! people....pressing may damage your hair. gracious!!!!!! :rolling
Unfortunately ini, this thread was one of three the week it was originally posted.

thunderstorm
03-01-2004, 02:21 PM
i&#39;m confused by the number of people who say that straightening has permanently altered their hair&#39;s texture, when i read so many member&#39;s posts about when they were little and got their hair pressed once or twice a month, and told about how it reverted as soon as they started sweating, or when it became humid.

i don&#39;t see how using a straightening comb the proper way can damage one&#39;s hair any more than a blow dryer with a comb attachment. i don&#39;t hear of many, if any, members saying the same thing about blow dryers.

could it be that maybe you got the straightening comb too hot, trying to get a bone straight look, and you actually ended up scorching your hair into a permanently straight texture? that, i can believe. i don&#39;t know anyone personally (and i have a lot of friends who use all kinds of appliances on their hair) who has experienced their natural hair not reverting back after straightening.

starchild
03-01-2004, 02:24 PM
try and aphogee treatment.