PDA

View Full Version : Law school

MuseofTroy
02-19-2004, 11:23 PM
Ladies,

Currently, I'm studying for the June LSATs on top of keeping up with my undergraduate curriculum (Currently a Junior at USC). For anyone who has taken this standardized test for lawschool, what was your experience like? Did you take any prep courses? I just signed up to take the Testmasters prep course. My diagnostics are pretty high but I'm so nervous about the application process for law school considering that it has gotten very competitive. Anyone in law school? Please share! Thanks!

wildkiki
02-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Hey I am in the same boat. Preparing for June LSAT, taking the Princeton Review Course, and am a junior at NYU.

I hope we both do well :thumbsup

cdonalds00
02-20-2004, 12:15 AM
My advice to you is to do very well on the LSAT. Where are you all thinking of going to law school?

gennaevelyn
02-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Hi there! I just took the LSAT last October and am now in law school in Canada (it is the same test all around!).

Let me tell you. Its not as bad as you might think. It will feel like a marathon because it is 4-5 hours long, but its nice because if you are not so good at one kind of test you know there are 3 other sections to shine on.

Remember that you don't lose points for wrong answers so always fill in all the bubbles no matter if you know the answer or not. Right before all your time is out make sure you have filled in all the bubbles.

Even though the timing is pretty tight (thats what makes the test hard! If there was unlimited time, then everyone could get every question right. It is your efficiency that is really being tested) make sure that you read everything through fully! Some of the questions (most!) are designed specifically to slip up students who don't fully read the question/answer choices. That is crucial!

Remember to stay calm and collected. I for one found that practice tests were gold. I got EXACTLY the same mark on all my practice tests and then got the same mark on the actual test (keep in mind that this is not true for everyone I know people who had drastically different marks).

Try to make sure that you are calm and cool. Don't sit next to anyone you know because it will make you nervous and make you feel like you're behind if they are turning pages and you're still on the first page!Try to sit at the front so that you don't have to look at what anybody else is doing. Its just you.

Well thats all I can think of. Hope that helped a bit!

Good Luck!

p.s. Law School is the best thing I've ever done. I love it way more than my undergraduate degree studies (in Philosophy). Look forward to it!

wildkiki
02-20-2004, 12:49 AM
I was thinking of Columbia, or NYU law, but that all depends on how well I do

FreedomPlease
02-20-2004, 04:51 AM
Hello,

I took the LSAT twice. :doh My experience was....interesting. Everyone has their strong points and their weak points. Standardized test are a week point for me, I did awful. :shock But through prayer and hard work I just received my acceptance letter TODAY!!!! :thumbsup

I am also scheduled to attend a summer program to help me be prepared for next year. Good luck, and remember while you are in that prep course to also stay true to your learning style. And take it easy. The application process is hard but I believe that the Lord would place me where I needed to be and he has. Despite a crappy LSAT score. :)

MuseofTroy
02-20-2004, 06:25 AM
My top two choices are Yale and Stanford. Right now I'm working on getting my letters of recommendation and personal essay. It's kind of early but I want my applications done by September so I can beat the rush.

nappyesquire
02-20-2004, 06:46 AM
i took the lsat only once. i did not use a prep course, as i got kaplan books from a friend that were damn near new (she didn't study very much for the test). it was long and painful so i couldn't imagine taking it more than once UNLESS i thought that my score was going to significantly improve.

feel free to pm me if you want any advise or another set of eyes to read your personal essay.

i'm a 2L at UCLA. i also got into hella schools like columbia, g-town, and cornell. i picked UCLA because i am cheap, they gave me a free ride, and i wanted to concentrate in their critical race studies program within the law school.

i'm sure y'all will be fine!

good luck... all power to the people.

marissasensei
02-20-2004, 07:09 AM
:mad $@%!*@# search function! There was a great thread about the law school admissions process a few months ago.

Anyway, you've been given great advice so far. Kick the LSAT's a s s, and that will make things a lot easier. In the past, Stanford seemed to favor (relatively) older applicants who'd taken time off after undergrad and done different things, but it seems like they're placing more of an emphasis on LSAT scores now. With Yale, you have to do incredibly well on the LSAT, be well-rounded, and lucky.

ETA: I think with the LSAT, your best bet is to take lots of practice tests and plan on taking it only once. Most law schools average your scores, which makes it really difficult to bring your score up if you bomb it the first time. I went to undergrad with a guy who took it twice, getting a 172 the second time. Even though that was an impressive score, because it was averaged with the 160-something he got the first time, his scores were still a little low for HYS (Harvard/Yale/Stanford) range, which were the schools he was shooting for.

AKAHLF
02-20-2004, 12:48 PM
To all the ladies taking the LSAT....

GOOD LUCK!!!!

I am so happy to see my sistahs prepare to earn professional degrees!

Professional school is exciting, frustrating and draining, but rewarding when you finish! I have 2 more years to go, God willing!

Good luck, ladies. I hope everyone does very well! :thumbsup

siriuswizdom
02-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by AKAHLF@Feb 20 2004, 08:48 AM
To all the ladies taking the LSAT....

GOOD LUCK!!!!

I am so happy to see my sistahs prepare to earn professional degrees!

Professional school is exciting, frustrating and draining, but rewarding when you finish! I have 2 more years to go, God willing!

Good luck, ladies. I hope everyone does very well! :thumbsup
:app :app :app :app

crittle
02-20-2004, 01:06 PM
I will pray that you all do well! I am starting to prepare for the GRE....I am a junior at Duke. FYI, I have a good friend who is in his second year of law school at Columbia. If you all have any questions, I could put you in touch with him!

naijamodel
02-20-2004, 01:24 PM
do people taking the LSATS take the GRE's as well?

napturallyme
02-20-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by marissasensei@Feb 20 2004, 08:09 AM
:mad $@%!*@# search function! There was a great thread about the law school admissions process a few months ago.

Was that really necessary? I'm sure this isn't a topic that comes up a lot on the board.

I took the LSAT 10 years ago, I don't believe it's changed much. I'm not good at standardized tests, so my score was below average. I think practice is the key. I didn't practice a whole lot when I took the LSAT because I took it in October when I was attending classes. Practice makes perfect, that's what I believe help me pass the bar.

If you scores aren't high, I wouldn't sweat it, so long as your GPA is good and you have a great personal statement. Despite my score, I was accepted into 9 out of 12 schools I applied to and 2 of them were in the top 25.

Good luck to all taking it! Feel free to pm if you have any questions about law school or practicing law. I've been practicing for 6 years now. One thing I will add, please make sure it's what you want to do, it's not as fulfilling as people think it is.

Lagina
02-20-2004, 05:05 PM
Congrats to the ladies doing the educational thing!!! One day I might take the lsat after I get my ASA. Good luck to the test takers

Tami2shoes
02-20-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by napturallyme@Feb 20 2004, 12:43 PM
If you scores aren't high, I wouldn't sweat it, so long as your GPA is good and you have a great personal statement. Despite my score, I was accepted into 9 out of 12 schools I applied to and 2 of them were in the top 25.

Good luck to all taking it! Feel free to pm if you have any questions about law school or practicing law. I've been practicing for 6 years now. One thing I will add, please make sure it's what you want to do, it's not as fulfilling as people think it is.
ITA. Especially with the words in bold. After undergrad, I took both the GRE and the LSAT. Didn't study too much because I've always done well on standardized exams. I borrowed materials from friends that had taken the exam and studied for about three months sporadically. I did well, had better than average grades from undergrad and got into every school I applied to and they were all first tier. I ended up at Fordham because they gave me more money than Columbia, not sure how I feel about that decision now, but my pockets like it. My little sister graduated summa cum laude from undergrad and had a score of 166 and was recruited hard by Yale, so its possible. I wish everybody luck and I encourage you to apply to schools that may seem out of your range, take a chance. I also wouldn't encourage taking the test more than once, I've known quite a few people that have done so, and I've never noticed a tremendous improvement, and it does hurt you in the application process.

Now, please, please make sure its something you want to do. I know I've posted here numerous times about how I've regretted going to law school. I'm not taking the bar, and I probably won't practice, but I do believe that the degree itself is useful, and I guess I've learned something :sleep When you apply, apply early so you have the first dibs at any money they might offer in the form of scholarships and grants. Consider the debt you might incur, the job market is so sketchy right now that the $150,000 salaries they wave in front of you might not be there in the end.

Slightly OT I guess, are there any 3Ls here taking the July bar? Have you decided on a prep course?

marissasensei
02-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by napturallyme+Feb 20 2004, 09:43 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (napturallyme @ Feb 20 2004, 09:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-marissasensei@Feb 20 2004, 08:09 AM

Was that really necessary? I&#39;m sure this isn&#39;t a topic that comes up a lot on the board. [/b][/quote]
That wasn&#39;t directed towards the original poster. I was just expressing frustration and irritation that so much of the good info on this board isn&#39;t accessible b/c the search function doesn&#39;t work. Anyway, if I was angry at the original poster for bringing up this topic, why would I have followed up the :mad with a substantive response to her question?

marissasensei
02-20-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Tami2shoes@Feb 20 2004, 10:27 AM
Slightly OT I guess, are there any 3Ls here taking the July bar? Have you decided on a prep course?
I&#39;m taking the CA bar in July. Haven&#39;t really investigated the different prep classes too much, but I think the firm I&#39;m going to work has an arrangement worked out with Barbri, so I&#39;ll more than likely end up taking their course.

cassia
02-21-2004, 03:16 AM
I received an acceptance letter yesterday (yay!) What is law school REALLY like? What do I need to expect?

chocol8diva714
02-22-2004, 02:58 AM
Hi there...

I am currently a 1L and went straight through to law school from undergrad. Honestly, studying for the LSAT while maintaining my undergrad classload was a task, but GREAT prep for law school. My LSAT prep was pretty hectic, I took PrincetonReview and loved it....it really depends who you talk to but a lot a ppl don&#39;t like it.

I studied pretty much anytime I wasn&#39;t doing any work for my classes and especially while I was at work. With the LSAT practice as much as you can, you never know what you&#39;re going to face when you open the test booklet, so it would be key to test yourself under similar LSAT factors (timing and such) and to take as many practice tests as you can and find the strategy that works BEST FOR YOU!!

I actually took the October 2003 LSAT as a senior UNC-Chapel Hill, but had many friends who took the June LSAT and we all did pretty well. But I would also recommend that you begin working on your applications ASAP....you want to make sure that your package is the BEST is can be and that it is representative of you and really sells you as a prime candidate for admission into your prospective schools entering class.

You have to realize that when you send off your apps, scores, and grades that of course number matter but the admission boards see the same thing day in and out and you really want to differentiate yourself (not just tooting your own horn or in an obnoxious manner)...but I hope YKWIM.

When doing your personal statement try to find a topic that you can write about honestly and that has some influence on your decision to apply to law school....your resume should also be geared in a legal manner....not so much that you need to have volunteered at a DA&#39;s office but use words that are legal minded...analytical and try to play up any leadership that youve held.

I could really type for days, but I am actually preparing research for a brief....if any has any questions for me PM and I will try to get back with you ASAP....

Sorry for the long post, and I apologize for any typo&#39;s (rushing here, LOL)........
Smooches and blessings
~Chocol8

nappynana
02-22-2004, 09:53 PM
I&#39;ve never taken the LSAT but both my sisters did and they both ended up at Harvard Law.

Based strictly casual conversations with them, I would suggest taking a LSAT course IF you don&#39;t have the discipline to study seriously on your own. I think it comes down to your own personal work habits. Just be honest with yourself about whether or not you&#39;ll devote the time to studying without a classroom setting. I know many folks who&#39;ve taken the LSAT, etc., studying on their own - I took the GMAT without a prep course - but they all hard core about studying.

That said, I would suggest aiming for programs that will give you a good education AND at which you&#39;ll have a good experience. One of my sisters wishes (in retrospect) that she&#39;d attended a different law school that offered her more grants (to offset the loans). My other sister (now a 2L) wishes she&#39;d gone to a different school just for quality of life issues.

Both went to law school straight from undergrad and wish they&#39;d considered other careers.

Good luck!
nana

Antigua
02-23-2004, 07:13 PM
I took the LSAT last october. I didn&#39;t do as well as I hoped (probably should have studied more), but I got a lot of offers from schools to apply for fre anyway. I got letters from Stanford and Harvard encouraging me to apply, but no fee waivers. I didn&#39;t want to spend $70 to hear no so I skipped those schools (maybe that was a bad move?). So far I have been accepted into Vanderbilt (top 20 school) and The University of Miami. I&#39;m waiting for 9 other schools right now.

The application process can be a bit tedious. A lot of the applications ask the same questions. If you are applying to a lot of schools invest in a program that will let you fill out the common information on all of the applications (lsac.org sells one). It may seem expensive, but it will save you time.

NappyGoddesse
02-24-2004, 12:22 AM
Some say that the legal profession is not as rewarding - whast type of law do you all practice? I&#39;ve known for years I wanted to be an attorney, but it was apparent last quarter when I participated in a mock trial. That was a natural high for me. Plus I LOVE the law and its different applications!

I signed up to take the June LSAT in Jacksonville. I&#39;m nervous but am going to study a little everynight and ESPECIALLY on the weekends!

Thanks for the advice, ladies!

Can we use this board as a support group for the up-and-coming legal minds?!

netta1
03-09-2004, 07:31 PM
This is a great thread! For a while I was debating between getting my PHd in History or actually becoming a Lawyer. But I feel like I&#39;m leaning more towards Law now....I guess???? Anyway I don&#39;t know where I would take these LSAT prep classes at. I plan on attending Marquette Law, so maybe I can take prep courses there???? Anyway does anyone know where you take these prep courses? And also for those who don&#39;t think that Law is rewarding what kind of law do you practice? For those who are going into to law school what kind of law are you planning on practicing?

marissasensei
03-09-2004, 08:03 PM
@ netta,

The two biggest prep companies are probably The Princeton Review and Kaplan. I&#39;m sure they each have a website. Depending on where you live, there may also be smaller, regional test prep companies. Before you invest in a prep class, though, you should find out what kind of score you need to get into Marquette, and take a few practice tests. Who knows? You might already be scoring in that range, and you can just focus on polishing your testtaking skills.

netta1
03-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Thanks for that info Marissasensei, I will contact Marquette and get more info Thursday.

NappyGoddesse
03-14-2004, 08:20 PM
Hello, again, ladies;

I&#39;m going to view Stetson Law School this Thursday and I just wanted to know if I should take anything special, or be prepared to speak to anyone in particular. How should I dress? Professionally, or is casual okay?

Who here has viewed a campus before and can you tell me a little about how it went?

Ngosi
03-14-2004, 10:08 PM
If you&#39;re going there just to check out the school, I&#39;d dress casually. They aren&#39;t interviewing you, and could probably care less what you&#39;re wearing as long as it looks neat. While there, I&#39;d ask to see the BLSA (Black Law Students&#39; Association) or other minority law students&#39; association of which you might want to be a member. They can give you a true perspective on the quality of life at the unversity and the support mechanisms available. Also visit career services and ask whawt percentage of the last yeawrs&#39; graduates passed the bar the 1st time, how many were emplyed within 6 months of graduating, and how many students secured summer employment via the campus job fairs. Because really, when it boils down to it, you want to go to a school that adequately prepares you for the bar and can help you get a good job. You should also go to financial aid and see what kind of packages they offer. I went to Columbia, and they didn&#39;t really offer many, if any, academic scholarships at that time (c/o 99). Other gthan that you may want to sit in on a class to see if you the professors and students. Now of ocurse I didn&#39;t do any of this, but as a former BLSA president, I try to give advice that&#39;ll help others do better than whawt I did.

NappyGoddesse
03-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Ngosi, thank you! Are you now an attorney? Was the bar as monstrous as everyone says it is? I&#39;m still just on the LSAT and I&#39;m being told how hard it is! :huh

LikeWhoa
03-22-2004, 02:05 AM
I just recently took the LSAT. I took the Kaplan prep course. I would suggest taking the course, and taking the full length exam at least 5-6 times, timed in a controlled condition, before sitting for it. This is important because it is a LONG mentally taxing exam, and you want to be conditioned for that, especially to complete the last 2 sections. It is a very important exam, and depending on the school can count 5x more than your GPA. Seriously. Additionally, many Blacks tend to do worse on standardized exams and there are a lot of theories about why that is, but it is a fact. I personally believe it has a lot to do with the history of the exams catering for whites to do well and the way exam questions are screened. But it&#39;s also important to note that this exam tests many skills that you more than likely have NOT learned in your undergraduate curriculum so it is necessary to study and work on any areas that you might be deficient. A good score is 165 and above for the top schools, but you will still have a good chance with 150 and above. I would worry with anything below 150, and take the exam a second time, keeping in mind that you MUST study to increase your score.

Lagina
04-13-2004, 04:23 PM
Does anyone have any old LSAT prep material they don&#39;t want?? Thanks in advance :)

southernbelle
04-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Lagina@Apr 13 2004, 11:23 AM
Does anyone have any old LSAT prep material they don&#39;t want?? Thanks in advance :)
I do. If you are willing to pay for s/h I can send you all that I have (books and software).

Hamira
04-14-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Lagina@Apr 13 2004, 04:23 PM
:mad Dang Lagina, you beat me to my post :lol

TaniaInChi
04-16-2004, 07:42 PM
I did the testmasters prep course and I would recommend it. I took Kaplan in high school for act prep, but from that experience I would not recommend Kaplan for anything. Kaplan does offer quite a few free lsat prep courses, in hopes that you will sign up for the pay course, so you can always check them out. Did anyone decide to go to law school this fall? I am starting this fall and was just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

FreedomPlease
04-16-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by TaniaInChi@Apr 16 2004, 01:42 PM
I did the testmasters prep course and I would recommend it. I took Kaplan in high school for act prep, but from that experience I would not recommend Kaplan for anything. Kaplan does offer quite a few free lsat prep courses, in hopes that you will sign up for the pay course, so you can always check them out. Did anyone decide to go to law school this fall? I am starting this fall and was just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.
I will be going in the fall...maybe we can keep in contact.

:offtopic I may sound weird but I would like to form a small support circle around me of people that go to other schools. Because I can only think that once everyone starts classes everyone is in the race for the top.

I would just like to communicate with others that are going through the same thing.

MuseofTroy
04-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Those of you taking the Lsats this year (June, October, or December) did you guys turn in your registration packet? I highly recommend everyone apply asap because I noticed that a lot of the test taking centers are filling up fast. I had to go with my second choice (southwestern) instead of USC b/c the facility is full! Ugh LOL.

TaniaInChi
04-20-2004, 06:54 PM
@Freedom Please...

No, you don&#39;t sound wierd at all. I think it is a great idea. :) :) I personally dont know anyone who is in or has been to law school, so this is a completely new experience for me. I always had to browse different websites to get information about law school. We should definitely keep in touch. What area will your law school be located? Ill be in D.C.

FreedomPlease
04-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by TaniaInChi@Apr 20 2004, 12:54 PM
@Freedom Please...

No, you don&#39;t sound wierd at all. I think it is a great idea. :) :) I personally dont know anyone who is in or has been to law school, so this is a completely new experience for me. I always had to browse different websites to get information about law school. We should definitely keep in touch. What area will your law school be located? Ill be in D.C.
I will be in Texas. I will send you a direct message with my email address...This will be great :dance: