PDA

View Full Version : Pantene for Relaxed and Natural Hair

CurleeDST
03-17-2003, 12:09 AM
I read in my latest edition of Essence that Pantene now has a shampoo and conditioner line specifically for the special hair care needs of women of color. The bottle is shaped as their others but comes in a bronzey/orange color look.

Has anyone tried the conditioner and if so, how did it work for you?

blkrighteousspace1
03-17-2003, 12:19 AM
I was just thinking about that....i saw it today @ K-Mart & Target down here....and i was looking @ it....and looking @ it....however, i have put myself on punishment currently....because i also am considering trying the hydrating curls because i'm hearing such rave reviews of it....however, when my self-inflicted punishment is lifted....i shall see what the T is

soulsista
03-17-2003, 01:42 AM
I posted my thoughts on the first Pantene thread but I'll respond to this thread too.

I bought it the other day at walmart. The color of the bottle is what struck my eye because I didn't know they were coming out with a line for relaxed and natural hair. It cost the same amount as the other Pantene Shampoo's and Conditioners. The shampoo made my hair soft, but it has Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate AND Ammonuim Laureth Sulfate in it. The conditioner was good. I let it sit on my hair for about 7 minutes with a cap on.

Since I'm a no pooer, I'll use my Suave coconut conditioner on a daily basis. I'll use the Pantene when I do my weekly washing.

noname
03-17-2003, 01:50 AM
From what I hear it is the same as the rest of the stuff. I can't remember who posted it but she was saying that the ingredients were just about the same?

soulsista
03-17-2003, 03:23 AM
Yeah...I think it is the same product. Just in a pretty bottle with "For relaxed and Natural hair" label slapped on the front.

noname
03-17-2003, 04:52 AM
Yeah...I think it is the same product. Just in a pretty bottle with "For relaxed and Natural hair" label slapped on the front.Riiiiiiiiiight. LOL. Think they're slick.

CurleeDST
03-17-2003, 02:36 PM
Oh durn for real? No extra hydration or anything? Well heck I can stay w/ the hydrating curl formula then b/c I haven't seen it in my neck of the woods yet.

twistednubian
03-17-2003, 02:38 PM
It's the same thing as one of the other conditioners by Pantene. The only thing is the slapped some oils in the one made for "us".

blkrighteousspace1
03-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Yeah...I think it is the same product. Just in a pretty bottle with "For relaxed and Natural hair" label slapped on the front.

:lol: You know what....i think they realize that the Black hair industry is a BILLION dollar industry...they are trying to go where the money is. Beauty supply houses(asian owned) are making a killing. Same with natural stuff.....they know that holistic, botanical, natural, organic are trigger words....people see that...and they think they are getting top notch stuff....so they are able to slap on an extra $1, $2, or hell....$15.....sick sad world i tell ya....it costs a lot to live right, but in the end...i reckon it balances itself out

REGEE
03-17-2003, 10:42 PM
I purchased this product this weekend and used it the 1st time this AM.
By lunch my hair was still soft, and it was completely dry!
Now I was going to try the one for curls, but saw this one. I have not used any other Pantene b4, so I can't compare it .
I've not brought any product for a while now, so I'm thinkin' my hair is really reacting to the cones' and stuff that's in it. But I do like it :) Usu. by lunch my hair is dry and kinda hard and needs to be spritzed! Today I didn't spritz :shock: I guess I'll keep it for my no poo routine for now!
REGEE

Neza
03-17-2003, 11:03 PM
What gets me is how this new line is supposed to be for relaxed AND natural hair. You just can't do that. Relaxed hair is COMPLETELY different from natural hair, as many of you know.

How can you make one hair product for two different types of hair.

Not to mention that many sistas have informed us that the ingredients in these relaxed/natural bottles aren't even that different from those our blonde-haired, blue eyes sistas are usin.

Can you say JIP.

sorry, i just had to vent. and if i could type half as fast as i could talk, ya'll would have gotten a lot more of my opinion.

Kinkygirl
03-20-2003, 07:32 PM
Damn I'm glad you posted your response to this! I was about to run out and buy this stuff. I was the one that posted a original post about it and I didnt get back to see the response. I'm glad I came back today. That's money in my pocket. The world just aint safe for a product junkie.

KinkyG

micarae
03-21-2003, 03:13 PM
I heard about this 'new' product line. From what I have read, the only change in the formula is that they have added some jojoba oil and some other oil to the regular formula...and from what I understand these two oils are near the bottom of the ingredient list. :roll: Give it a few weeks/months, I bet that price gradually goes up on the 'new' stuff. :wink:

REGEE
03-21-2003, 10:36 PM
I won't say JIP :?
If it's the same basic formula w/a lil added eo, I don't think it's a lesser product soooo why would I feel slighted :?: I didn't pay any more for it than the other formulas, so I think it's all good :D

Now what I wouldn't buy is the daily moisturizer that's apart of the new line :!: It's first ingredients are mineral oil and patroleum :shock:

REGEE :)

Curlysaurus
03-29-2003, 05:20 AM
Now what I wouldn't buy is the daily moisturizer that's apart of the new line :!: It's first ingredients are mineral oil and patroleum :shock: REGEE :)

Yep, the supermarket in my area just started carrying this line and I checked it out today.

I was very disappointed in learning that the daily moisturizer has MO and petro as the first ingredients. I mean jeez. . . The PJ in me ran the other way when I saw this.

Poobity
03-29-2003, 06:59 AM
Okay, I admit that I actually did buy this stuff. :oops:

I like the way Pantene products smell, so I thought, 'What the heck?'

I bought the Daily Oil Cream Moisturizer and the Intensive Moisturizing Conditioner. I used the DOCM while twisting my hair. It was greasy, but my hair smelled good. 8)

I used the IMC for a conditioner wash since I'm doing the no 'poo routine. It worked the same as the other conditioners I've used for the same purpose.

naijamodel
03-29-2003, 01:38 PM
What gets me is how this new line is supposed to be for relaxed AND natural hair. You just can't do that. Relaxed hair is COMPLETELY different from natural hair, as many of you know.

Not to mention that many sistas have informed us that the ingredients in these relaxed/natural bottles aren't even that different from those our blonde-haired, blue eyes sistas are usin.

That is exactly what I was thinking!!! am yet to see it over here in my little town in U.K., but they do have Pantene Perfect Curls, which I think is the same is what most of the ladies here are using in the States, and it works just swell!!!

twistednubian
03-29-2003, 01:49 PM
I purchased this product this weekend and used it the 1st time this AM.
By lunch my hair was still soft, and it was completely dry!
Now I was going to try the one for curls, but saw this one. I have not used any other Pantene b4, so I can't compare it .
I've not brought any product for a while now, so I'm thinkin' my hair is really reacting to the cones' and stuff that's in it. But I do like it :) Usu. by lunch my hair is dry and kinda hard and needs to be spritzed! Today I didn't spritz :shock: I guess I'll keep it for my no poo routine for now!
REGEE

I used the stuff and thought it was good too. But, as with all of my conditioners I added some extra oil. I just purchased my second bottle.....I hardly buy anything twice.

Peppa
03-30-2003, 12:02 AM
I'm late!! :roll:
Anyways..I saw this product in Publix today, and I was like..wtf?? :?
I read the back of the bottle of the daily moisture, i think it's called, and realized that it's the same thing as the others :roll:
Also, I applied some of the product between my fingers and said to myself that this product ain't for no black woman's head :x :roll:

jmnappy
03-31-2003, 06:23 PM
I read on another message board that the new line of Pantene shampoo contains ammonium laureth sulfate. ALS is a detergent that is more harsh than SLS which could be contributing to the drying effect that you ladies have noticed.

I'm not buying it. It's just another gimmick.

blkbutterfly
04-09-2003, 04:19 AM
I bought the new products and loved them. So far I have been transitioning since Nov 2002 and this was the first time that I was completely satisfied with anything. I used the shampoo, conditioner and the daily oil cream moisturizer. After I shampooed and conditioned, I applied the oil cream to my hair while wet, then applied setting lotion and did a plain roller set. After the set dried, I applied the oil cream to dry hair before combing it out. I also applied Razac Perfect for Perms to the ends of the relaxed hair. I then proceeded with the comb out and my hair was so soft and shiny. It's now 3 days later and my hair is still soft and full of moisture. My hair is coarse and really porous and it never really feels moisturized to me. I love the results on my natural hair and on the natural hair. Hopefully, I'll be able to post some pics within the next week or so.

Sekhmet
04-14-2003, 10:34 PM
bumping for Reddhead

blkbutterfly
04-14-2003, 10:58 PM
Someone asked "how can the product be for relaxed and natural hair." I don't understand why it couldn't be. There are all types of products that can be used on relaxed and natural hair alike. I realize that the 2 hair types are totally different. I still use many of the same products taht I used before I started transitioning. For example, Creme of Nature, Nexxus, Aveda, Abba, and many other products don't specify that they are for a certain hairtype but they can be used on both relaxed and natural hair. I haven't had any problems with any of them...including the Pantene products.

One of my reasons for going natural is that I have a ton of products for different things and I felt that natural hair wouldn't require all of that "mess". I am trying to find the simplest methods that also maintain healthy hair without having to use a bunch of products. So if it works for natural AND relaxed hair...I love it. I don't have to use separate products for the natural or relaxed hair.

Even if the new Pantene is in essence the same as the regular line with only a few additional oils added. That's fine because they are the same price. We are not being charged extra for the added oils. What's the complaint. Yesterday I saw ALL Pantene products on sale in Kroger. They were 3 for $8. This included the products for Women of Color.

blkrighteousspace1
04-15-2003, 09:30 PM
Someone asked "how can the product be for relaxed and natural hair." I don't understand why it couldn't be. There are all types of products that can be used on relaxed and natural hair alike. I realize that the 2 hair types are totally different. I still use many of the same products taht I used before I started transitioning. For example, Creme of Nature, Nexxus, Aveda, Abba, and many other products don't specify that they are for a certain hairtype but they can be used on both relaxed and natural hair. I haven't had any problems with any of them...including the Pantene products.

One of my reasons for going natural is that I have a ton of products for different things and I felt that natural hair wouldn't require all of that "mess". I am trying to find the simplest methods that also maintain healthy hair without having to use a bunch of products. So if it works for natural AND relaxed hair...I love it. I don't have to use separate products for the natural or relaxed hair.

Even if the new Pantene is in essence the same as the regular line with only a few additional oils added. That's fine because they are the same price. We are not being charged extra for the added oils. What's the complaint. Yesterday I saw ALL Pantene products on sale in Kroger. They were 3 for $8. This included the products for Women of Color.

Many of the products in the aforementioned lines....don't say what texture hair they are geared for....some say for moisture...some say for volume some are clarifying (althought aveda and aura have shampoos & conditioners for redheads, blondes, and darker hair...for accenting highlight purposes)....i think (and this is just my opinion), i'm just stating....through blatantly clustering these two obviously different textures of hair...it sent up a red flag in my eyes.....because why is it when dealing with AA hair did Pantene feel the need to cluster relaxed & non-relaxed hair together....yet they have a seperate line for colored and chemically treated hair, a seperate line for volumizing, a seperate line for curly hair....that they didn't cluster together with non-chemically treated hair....that is why i got suspicious of that line.....However, if it works for you....that's great. I checked in the Eckerd near me....and the CVS Pharmacy....when it first came out....they were not the same price...it was a 1.00 difference (Eckerd) and 1.40 (CVS).....now @ the Kroger...i did see them @ the same price.....so it all depends on where you saw the particular product also.

P.S. also the start of this thread(s) is a month old....so that may also affect the price differences as well...because diff. store chains have diff. sales

Sekhmet
06-30-2003, 05:36 PM
bump

novelidea
06-30-2003, 11:19 PM
I've tried the conditioner. That's my new 'must have' conditiner. What I did was put the conditioner on my hair, after shampooing with Fantasia Frizz Buster shampoo, was to put the Pantene Relax&Natural conditioner on and let it sit on my head for an hour. I didn't have anything to do that day and I was out of retail plastic caps. So I put a regular plastic bag from the grocery store on it, (Yall know 'we' know how to rig stuff :lol:), while I did some house work and checked my email. That was a freakin' week ago and my hair is still soft and shiny as I've ever seen it. I haven't put any oils on it or anything for this past week. I've tried this same routine with other conditioners, but never had these kinds of results.

I want to try their new oil moisterizer too just to see how it is.

My hair is 4a-4b and comes down to my shoulder blades without being stretched. I'm not biracial either, in case yall wondering. I've been natural for 3 years (3rd Anniversay was May 15, 2003)

Happy2BNappy
07-01-2003, 03:41 AM
I LOVE Pantene conditioners. I use the N&R conditioner everyday for my no poo since I finished off that Suave mess.

It leaves my hair so soft, and my curls have excellent form and definition. Here are the ingredients for the two.

Pantene Hydrating Curls: Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl, Dimethylamine, Glutamic Acid, Dimethicone, Benzyl Alcohol, Fragrance, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, EDTA, Panthenol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Pantene Natural & Relaxed: Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl, Dimethylamine, Simmondsia Chinesis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Coconut Oil, Glutamic Acid, Dimethicone, Benzyl Alcohol, Fragrance, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, EDTA, Panthenol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, and Methylisothiazolinone

There is a slight difference and I can tell a difference between the Hydrating Curls and the N&R. The N&R makes my hair much softer and silkier than Hydrating Curls. JMO

AKALDH
07-04-2003, 06:42 PM
I used Pantene shampoo and conditioner when I was permed and it worked great on my hair. I've lately been using their conditioners for my no poo method and was still pleased with the results. I now use the Relaxed and Natural and my hair is left very soft even days after using it. I used Suave conditioning products when I first went natural (Aug. 3, 2002) and that was okay, but I find Pantene products just work better for me. :D

Mecca
07-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Neza@Mar 17 2003, 11:03 PM

Can you say JIP.

My thoughts exactly. <_<

Mecca
07-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Kinkygirl@Mar 20 2003, 07:32 PM
Damn I&#39;m glad you posted your response to this! I was about to run out and buy this stuff. I was the one that posted a original post about it and I didnt get back to see the response. I&#39;m glad I came back today. That&#39;s money in my pocket. The world just aint safe for a product junkie.

KinkyG
:D LOL :D

Mecca
07-10-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Kinkygirl@Mar 20 2003, 07:32 PM
Damn I&#39;m glad you posted your response to this! I was about to run out and buy this stuff. I was the one that posted a original post about it and I didnt get back to see the response. I&#39;m glad I came back today. That&#39;s money in my pocket. The world just aint safe for a product junkie.

KinkyG
:D LOL :D I know what u mean.

Cococure
07-13-2003, 02:17 AM
I tried Pantene a few years back just to see what it was like. My hair was fine for about a month. Then it started to get really dry and break off so I switched shampoos again. When I heard about the Pantene line for Relaxed and Naural Hair I was excited. I thought that maybe I might try it again. But after reading that it&#39;s just the same stuff wih a few more EO&#39;s I was not impressed. I&#39;ll save my money because it didn&#39;t do my hair any good when I was a pernie. I doubt it will help me as a natural.

Of course the kicker came when I was watching TV yesterday with my housemates. We were watching BET and having our usual conversation about the ridiculousness of the majority of music videos while laughing. The commercial for this line came on we all stopped talking and watched it closely. It features an Ashanti-type permie, a 3b/c, and a woman with dreads. They&#39;re all smiling and swinging their heads while the voiceover touts the benifits of the line. I nearly fell over laughing and just shook my head. The best part was when my housemates (both Latino) both said. &#39;Look they put the same old Pantene in a different bottle. That&#39;s slick&#39; or something to that effect. I looked at them both in awe. Thinking &#39;if they can see that so easily why can&#39;t other people?&#39;

Interesting.

Ceela
07-13-2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by CurleeDST@Mar 17 2003, 12:09 AM
I read in my latest edition of Essence that Pantene now has a shampoo and conditioner line specifically for the special hair care needs of women of color. The bottle is shaped as their others but comes in a bronzey/orange color look.

Has anyone tried the conditioner and if so, how did it work for you?
Well..looks like I&#39;m late in spreading the news. I just saw the commercial tonight :D . I already posted something and everything.... <_< oh well, just ignore it.

lydicarol
07-13-2003, 02:39 PM
I saw the commercial, what a joke. I&#39;ve been contemplating whether or not I was going to try out this conditioner. At first I thought nah I&#39;m not going to bother but I did. I tried it yesterday, left it in for 5 minutes and brushed through, not sure if it was the conditioner or the brush but it worked really well to detangle my hair. I&#39;ve tried the Hydrating Curls Conditioner before, thought it was just ok. Since this is only the first time that I&#39;ve been using it, I&#39;ll come back to report if it&#39;s still holding up (in about a month).