PDA

View Full Version : My Locs Reborn

mochacaremel
02-21-2004, 06:17 AM
First I gotta say big ups to LOCUGOD for putting me on to 7 Locks in New Orleans! :thumbsup Good lookin' out!

Second I gotta say, I still have mad love for Nae, the lady who did my hair and I still recommend her, just be sure to ask for exactly what you want when you get there.

Okay, with that said, here's my story, it's long :duck

I needed to have my hair retwisted because it had been 4 weeks and 3 days since I had them started and it was time for some maintenance. (Check my album for peeks at my fuzzies) Anyway, I asked LOCUGOD and he pointed me in the direction of a lady named Rhonda. Rhonda was cool and assured me that she would take great care of my babies. I hopped in the ride--destination, New Orleans.

When I got there y'all, I had forgotten to go to the ATM. So I walked in the shop called 7 Locks, (so she wouldn't think I was mad late) and told her I had to go and come back real quick. I asked her for directions to the nearest one and she took me back outside. She took one look at my hair and said,

"You're locking?"
"Yeah," I said, slightly annoyed. "Why is she asking me that?" I thought to myself.
"I see it's twisted the wrong way is why I was asking" she said, looking at me with a mixture of pity and confusion on her face.
I perked up "Ooh, that's what she's thinking" I thought. I looked at the ground,
"Yeah, the lady who did my hair did a great job, but she didn't mention that she did my hair counterclockwise until after I was there and she had started it already. I was disappointed too, I know it's not the way nature intended..."
She looked grateful that I at least knew that much, I was simply a victim.
"Well, go ahead to the ATM and I will see what I can do. I think I can work with you," she said, and promptly walked back in the salon.

She told me since my hair was short it would only be $35. I was like BET! I thought it woulda been at least $75. So glad it wasn't.

I got back and when I walked in the door I almost fainted at all the gorgeous locked brothers and sisters that were there. Every last person in there was rocking a beautiful crown of mature locks. I wanted to take all of their pictures but nah, nobody in there was cracking even the slightest smile. I figured these cats must be the serious type. :tiptoe

I spoke to everyone, "How y'all doing, y'all alright?"
I got a few nods and one grunt. It was funny, but I didn't take it personal, after all New Orleans was murder captial at one point, smiles probably have to be earned around here.

Rhonda and I walked back to the shampoo bowl. She decided to bless me. "Well," she said with a sigh, "I can't continue your hair twisting it that way, it is never meant to be done that way. I will have to retwist them in the right direction, but I won't charge you any more for it." She sniffed and looked away, picking at invisible lint on her shirt.

"Awww Rhonda are you sure?" I asked, feeling awe-struck. "Yes, I'm sure," she huffed, "now come on here." "You are so sweet, bless your heart! You know, I knew it wasn't supposed to be done like that, but I felt trapped...you are so nice to do this for me!" I gushed on and on and she just looked at me with a knowing smile.

"Yeah I know some people who are left handed and they twist people's hair like that, but they should know better."

I stayed quiet, because I really like Nae, the lady who did my original twists. But I felt where Rhonda was coming from too.

She washed my hair, and then proceeded to take my twists apart to retwist them. *Snnnaaaaappp!*Snap!* I could hear my hair breaking. "Sorry girl, your hair was really starting to mat, too. I'm sorry this hurts." "It's okay," I said wincing, "I know it must be done." I was really thinking to myself "I am soooo glad this is the last time I will ever have to feel this feeling again!"

We must have both taken turns saying, "Sorry" and "It's okay" one hundred times over before she was done. I did mention to her that I have always been extremely tenderheaded.

A few more loc'd brothas walked in. This was a lively bunch. The convo soon started...and it was about R. Kelly.
One brother said to another, "The man can write but he can't really sing."
Another brother answered him, "I went to the last concert he had here and he was garbage."
I interjected, singing, "See I know...there's somebody...breaking out...the champagne...somewhere..." We all laughed. I said, loudly, "I dont care what nobody say, 'Step in the Name of Love' is the jam!"

Then Michael Jackson's "Human Nature" came oozing out the stereo speakers, seducing us all with those first few notes. Every toe was tapping and every pair of lips was humming, "Looking out, across the night-time..." We all fell silent, the anticipation of what someone would say was hanging in the air.

I cleared my throat, "Po' Micheal!" I said, and at that, the whole shop broke out in laughter. "Po' Micheal?!" Rhonda shrieked, "what about them kids?" Everyone seemed to have something to add, but the conversation faded with the last delicious tunes of the song.

I went and sat under the dryer. I couldn't hear anymore convo, so I began reading what Rhonda handed to me, "HAIRLOCKING: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW african, dread & nubian locks" by Nekhena Evans.
An excellent book that I recommend anyone thinking of getting locks should read.

I read almost the whole book (it's a small book) and then Rhonda said I was done. I looked in the mirror and was very impressed. My hair looked completely different from when I walked in. And it was twisted CLOCKWISE! I could have kissed her! :blab

I gave her a nice tip and a hug "Thank you so much for what you did for me," I said low enough for only her ears to hear...or so I thought, the handsome brotha in the swivel chair winked at me.

I told everyone in the shop goodbye and here I am! With ReBorn locks!
She told me I should consider this day #1 in my journey, and I do. I am changing the date in my signature to read Feb 20th as the first day of my locs!

(I hope I didn't bore you, but I had to tell my story exactly how I felt it) :heart

Mocha

sonshinescoils
02-21-2004, 06:35 AM
that's alright girl. you're on the road now--in the RIGHT direction.

Aswadah
02-21-2004, 06:58 AM
Congrats Mocha....I felt like I was right there with you. This was a wonderful commentary. I am from New Orleans and YES, there are ALOT of beautiful heads of locs walking around there. Many blessings on your re-birth. Keep us posted. BTW, where are you from that you had to travel to New Orleans?

Aswadah

Sunchild
02-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Wow. Are your locks start with coils or 2stand twists?

Your locs share my birthday.

congrats on starting off on the right foot. At least you know after that brief time your hair was starting to make progress, it will go right back to doing its thang.

mochacaremel
02-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by afrikankween@Feb 21 2004, 08:34 AM
Wow. Are your locks start with coils or 2stand twists?

Your locs share my birthday.

congrats on starting off on the right foot. At least you know after that brief time your hair was starting to make progress, it will go right back to doing its thang.
Wow. That is a coincidence! Yep, my hair was started with two strand twists in the counterclockwise direction and now I have two strand twists in the clockwise direction.

BTW, where are you from that you had to travel to New Orleans?

@Aswadah, girl I am from Detroit Michigan! :bis but I currently live in Biloxi, Mississippi. Takes me about an hour and change to get to tha N.O.

Mocha

rockinlocs
02-21-2004, 01:20 PM
Wow, that was a nice little story there Mocha!

I, too, felt like I was there with you!

Glad you're pleased with the rebirth of your locs.

ETA: Happy (belated) Birthday to AK!

paulicia
02-21-2004, 02:26 PM
This was such a great experience for her. I am holding back tears.

kinksandcoils
02-21-2004, 02:28 PM
That was a really beautiful story! I am happy for you and the rebirth of your new locs. My friend used to go there to get her locs matinatined and got hers started there, and had nothing but positive things to say about the vibe and how helpful, and beautiful everyones spirit was.

mochacaremel
02-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by kinksandcoils@Feb 21 2004, 10:28 AM
That was a really beautiful story! I am happy for you and the rebirth of your new locs. My friend used to go there to get her locs matinatined and got hers started there, and had nothing but positive things to say about the vibe and how helpful, and beautiful everyones spirit was.
Thank you!

And your friend is right, the vibe is like a warm hug. Although, when I first walked in, it was more like a firm handshake, :lol But as the night progressed it was definitely like a big hug.

Mocha

P.S. I forgot to add, Happy Loc'ing B-day Afrikankween! :bis

Fauryn78
02-21-2004, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the story Mocha, I felt like I was sitting in one of the chairs right along with you and my other loc'd brothers and sisters....Congrats on a new chapter of your journey girl!

aquababie19
02-21-2004, 03:29 PM
congrats on the new leg of your journey! :)

blacque_gurl
02-21-2004, 04:03 PM
Nice little story, mocha. Some of my twists were counter-clockwise too, and i redid them myself. Glad to know that u are on the right start now and that u had a great experience in the process.

:offtopic Happy Belated Birthday, Afrikankween! :d)

nappyme
02-21-2004, 05:37 PM
very nice story....thanks for sharing.

:offtopic Happy Birthday AK

lavish12
02-21-2004, 05:44 PM
Thank you for sharing Mocha. I was nervous for you when I read the part of your "babies" snapping. :doh Will you consider the latching method once you locs are more mature?

:offtopic
Fauryn your locs and highlights look fantastic!

marissasensei
02-21-2004, 06:37 PM
So is there anything inherently wrong with locs started in a counterclockwise direction, or is the problem that it's hard to be consistent b/c most people are right-handed and would instinctually twist the locs clockwise?

NaturallyJade
02-21-2004, 06:44 PM
I really enjoyed reading your loc's rebirth.

There were a few locs I was not happy with. (I thought they were too thick.) They were near the back of my head. I seperated (cringed during the snapping) and retwisted them.

LOCUGOD
02-21-2004, 06:52 PM
I am glad I could assist you. Like I said when ever you need me let me know I am here for you, and your story touched my heart I am glad that you are inspired and happy with your results. I live like 3 minutes from the shop I wish you would have told me you were coming, I could have stopped by the shop to say hey! Maybe next time.

Tuey
02-21-2004, 09:10 PM
Congrats Mocha :-)

I think it's definitely important to be happy with your starter locs, and many people (myself included) make changes or start again at the beginning. It seems like you had a really positive experience - congrats again! 8)

Ravensholst
02-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Glad you had a positive experience. I enjoyed your story.I too felt like I was there..lol Ppl in the N.O. can be kinda...hard at first...but will warm up. I only wish someone wouldnt have left my number at home...*clearing throat*..then I could have seen your reborn babies. I'll see 'em soon tho. Good luck!

mochacaremel
02-21-2004, 11:05 PM
@LOCUGOD & Ravensholst, I am so sick that I didn't get to see y'all while I was down that way, but as soon as Ms. QueenLena makes her arrival I will see both of you! And after that, England here I come!

@lavish12, I will do a combo of latching and twisting, yes. The thing is though, I fell in love with my fuzzies and waited way too long to try and latch by myself for the first time, so I went to a salon. I wish everyone charged $35, I would go every 3 weeks and get pampered!

Mocha

QueenLena03
02-22-2004, 02:10 AM
That was such a beautiful story *wiping a tear*. I'm really happy you had a positive experience at the salon. I am packing now to go to N.O. and I can't wait. I have your number and Ravensholst's number in my cell so you two will be hearing from me.
About the direction of the twists....I know of many stylists who twist going counter-clockwise and palm roll in that direction as well. I have never witnessed anything wrong with that method. It's all a matter of preference. I twist and palm roll clockwise always out of habit. When a stylist is trained on doing double strands with hair added the technique is done with the twists going counter-clockwise so that may be a reason why the first stylist did your twists that way. Either way I am glad that you are happy with your results and Happy Loc'ing.
:offtopic I have a new do as well so I'm extra excited to go on vacation. I think I'm cute now... :lol :razz

Llyons
02-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Wow! That was a nice story. I felt like I was reading a good book.

frstdawn
02-23-2004, 03:59 PM
Many of us have had a few "false" starts...good luck on your new journey. :-)

D

Laquita
02-23-2004, 04:32 PM
What a wonderful story...thanks for sharing :rainfro

Congrats on your loc's rebirth :app

For a minute there I thought I had taken a trip to the salon :lol ...but then I looked around and noticed I was still sitting at work. :rolleyes

Your hair looks great :thumbsup

shuaia
02-25-2004, 11:01 PM
no girl, you definitely didn't bore me w/your story. it was funny! :) i'm so glad that you were pointed in the right direction to get your locs done the way you wanted them. i didn't know that the twisting direction of the loc mattered. glad to hear that you had a positive experience though. i've been in a couple of hair situations where i didn't feel comfortable w/the way my hair was being done so i had to get up & walk out. w/that said, i viewed your album the other day & your locs look good. i also looked at nae's site & she has skills.

mommytimes2
02-26-2004, 02:59 AM
I too had my locs started in the "wrong direction". :nohuh I had them retwisted after about 5 or 6 months, but I ended up with "chewy locs" for a little while. :huh Time and styling smoothed them out substantially. It sounds like this was a good experience for you. Continued success on your renewed journey. 8)

toy
02-26-2004, 02:56 PM
wow, i'm just now reading this thread! Mocha, you are such a vivid writer. you really did make it feel as if we were right there with you...beautiful story, and congrats on the rebirth of your locs!

@QueenLena, that was my understanding of locs as well. i think the fact that ppl have attributed superstition to the whole directional thing just reinforces in their minds that there's a "right" way and a "wrong" way. no offense to those of you that feel that way though. :duck

Wise1
02-26-2004, 03:12 PM
I felt I like I was there too. Great story and congrats on your rebirth!!!!

@Toy and QueenLena both of you are right. I always palm clockwise but I have a few lefties that want counter clockwise. I'll do it but it's not really something I like to do.

mochacaremel
02-27-2004, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by toy@Feb 26 2004, 10:56 AM
Mocha, you are such a vivid writer. you really did make it feel as if we were right there with you...

I think the fact that ppl have attributed superstition to the whole directional thing just reinforces in their minds that there's a "right" way and a "wrong" way. no offense to those of you that feel that way though. :duck
Wow, thanks for the compliment. I can't believe you guys really liked my story. That's so sweet. I have always wanted to be a writer, but I figured it's time to stop talking and just do it, if I'ma do it. Thank you to everyone who liked it.

@Toy, no I should say no offense to those who have their hair twisted counterclockwise. I am not saying that is the wrong way to have it done. It was just the wrong way for me. I do think that had I not been in New Orleans, I could have gotten someone to do them counterclockwise, but that town is built on superstition. :lol

Mocha