PDA

View Full Version : Hair Style for the New Transitioner

srdetroit
02-21-2004, 02:25 PM
I have not had a relaxer for 7 months now :thumbsup I decided to completely leave the relaxer alone when the top of my hair started thinning. I went to a dermatologist and she did a biopsy of my scalp and told me that it was repairable, but I had to leave the perms alone. I knew then that with having a second chance and not having my hair be permanently damaged, I needed to go natural :app I came across this site and this was the best thing to ever happen to me. Well, I've been wearing braids for three months now and today I decided to take them out. I have always been intimidated by my natural hair because it is extremely thick and extremely course, which I'm told is good. I did the big chop before I got the braids put in my hair and now the thin spot has filled in nicely. However, I need some suggestions on some styles that I can do to my hair while I'm learning how to manage my hair without the relaxer. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for this site. My transition would not have been easy without Nappturality :heart

BlakReign
02-21-2004, 07:30 PM
Have you checked out the WOW section? Or the online album section? You can find a ton of styles in there.

Have you thought about:

Two strand twists

Flat twist

Twist out

Cornrows

A combination of the ones listed above?

jambrit24
02-21-2004, 10:26 PM
my hair is still in the transitioning stage but i alreasy have plans on what to do with my hair. straw set looks nice.

nappy44
02-22-2004, 07:46 AM
now is the time to have fun with your hair and see what it likes. i found out that my hair is really my crown when i started going napptural. twists are fun, and you can play with them. this older sister told me to talk to my hair and play with it, and it would grow, she was right. there are some good suggestions in here, and one of them should work for you, who knows...pretty soon you will come up with some of your own styles because your hair will start to be alive and happy, and let you know what it likes to do.
this is my story and song
nappy44 :bis
just lovin' my pretty hair :heart

babygurl
02-22-2004, 04:48 PM
I loved wearing roller sets when i transitioned... there were so many things I could do..
-roller it regular
-twist hair first then roll... i loved this look... more wavy than curly
-braid hair first then roll...this was the crimped look

I also wore flat twist and cornrows into a drawstring ponytail...

have fun with it

HTH

carlaw78
02-23-2004, 10:56 AM
Congrats on your new hair, its going to be a journey but one that is REALLY worth it. Try going through some WOW( women of the web) albums. Since you are now taking your braids out u might want to get a trim, put leave in in your hair daily & deep condition once a week. How long is your hair? try going to
www.roshini.net, she has lots of suggestions and styles....welcome to nappturality

kirgurl79
02-23-2004, 05:10 PM
I was always curious how everyone else sleeps with the rollers in their hair. :-P

I'm not talking about keeping them in or wrapping them up with a satin scarf....I'm talking about those hard things pressed again my little old head. I can manage to sleep thru the night, but it's not a very pleasant night. yes, I use a scarf. yes, I use the softer (sponge) rollers. But in the end, the weight of my head still has to lay on the rollers. :-? It'll be sweet once I chop this crap off my head.

pookeylou
02-23-2004, 05:27 PM
I did the two strand twist into a bantu knot...it produces a great curly fro that you can wear alone, with a headband or pull it into a puff.

Feel free to check out my transition album for step by step directions.

srdetroit
02-25-2004, 01:29 AM
Thanks, ladies for all the responses. All of you have given me some really good ideas. I decided to go with the straw curls and I am loving it. My beautician cornrowed my hair and latch hooked the straw curl hair to the cornrows and it looks great. I will be starting an album soon so that you can check out my transition.