PDA

View Full Version : Big Lumps=bald Spots

onyxspirals
05-04-2007, 01:21 PM
My co-worker has had this problem for a couple of years. Here's what happens: A small bump will appear on her scalp. It will continue to grow and itch. The more it grows, the tighter the scalp gets. This causes the hair to fall out. It will become warm to the touch and has a pinkish/reddish hue to it. It is at this point that it is getting ready to pop. She can feel it pulsating. When it does pop, it is a combination of puss and blood. When the fluid has finally drained, and the sore begins to heal, it will leave a smooth, shiny, bald patch on her scalp. After having several conversations with her, she decided to go natural and loved it until she saw a doctor. She decided to go back to the chemical fire cream. :o I can't remember exactly what she was told, but, after we talked/thought it over, it didn't make sense. She went to the hospital last night so that they could drain the one she has now. At first, she couldn't even lay down and get comfortable because the lump was hurting so bad. If she held her head back or (whatever direction the lump happens to be in - the lump is in the back this time), she could feel the pressure/force from gravity which would also cause it to hurt. So, she can't lean in that direction or lay on that side. Today, she has a bandage on it and was given oral antibiotics. Please, can anyone shed some light on this? I made her promise to make an appointment with a new dermatologist. I also told her to seek out a trichologist. She was so happy about her nappturalism until the doctor gave her the wrong info and now is considering going napptural again. Sorry that the post is so long, but, I really feel for her and want to help her. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.

~Onyx

delta98
05-04-2007, 01:33 PM
why would the doctor tell her to put chemicals in her hair when she has a problem like that? what if the chemicals get inside the bump?

onyxspirals
05-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Delta, sorry it took so long for me to reply. We couldn't figure out why the doctor would say something like that. It makes no sense at all. To me, it seems as if the chemicals would make it worse. I hope she does go natural again. She still has not found a new dermatologist, but, I am working on her.

Newlynaturalkitty2
05-11-2007, 11:28 AM
I cannot believe that the doctor told her to go back chemicals. That just does not sound right, shame on that doctor. That is why when a doctor gives me their opinion (because that is all it is, an educated guess) I still implement what I think into my final decision. I hope your friend does go back natural, but she should also find out what really causes those bumps.

Sorry I couldn't help... :blush:

takingmyhairback
05-23-2007, 05:17 PM
My co-worker has had this problem for a couple of years. Here's what happens: A small bump will appear on her scalp. It will continue to grow and itch. The more it grows, the tighter the scalp gets. This causes the hair to fall out. It will become warm to the touch and has a pinkish/reddish hue to it. It is at this point that it is getting ready to pop. She can feel it pulsating. When it does pop, it is a combination of puss and blood. When the fluid has finally drained, and the sore begins to heal, it will leave a smooth, shiny, bald patch on her scalp. After having several conversations with her, she decided to go natural and loved it until she saw a doctor. She decided to go back to the chemical fire cream. :o I can't remember exactly what she was told, but, after we talked/thought it over, it didn't make sense. She went to the hospital last night so that they could drain the one she has now. At first, she couldn't even lay down and get comfortable because the lump was hurting so bad. If she held her head back or (whatever direction the lump happens to be in - the lump is in the back this time), she could feel the pressure/force from gravity which would also cause it to hurt. So, she can't lean in that direction or lay on that side. Today, she has a bandage on it and was given oral antibiotics. Please, can anyone shed some light on this? I made her promise to make an appointment with a new dermatologist. I also told her to seek out a trichologist. She was so happy about her nappturalism until the doctor gave her the wrong info and now is considering going napptural again. Sorry that the post is so long, but, I really feel for her and want to help her. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.

~Onyx
[/b]

It sounds like she has folliculitis ( infected hair follicules) they can appear anywhere, even down there :huh: . They are kinda unfortunatly like herpes. The will appear when stressed out or when you are on your period because your immune system is already weak. My cousin has this condition and she has had them all over her body but they only appear one at a time. When she feels one comming on she immeadiatly startes taking amoxcicillin and that help the phase go quickly. The bump will last anywhere from 5 to 10 days. The first time a bump appeared it was down there and she went to the emergency room because it was so painfull. Thats when she was diagnosed. Since then she has had them under her arm pits, and a couple in her hair line. She asked me to pop one that was under her arm pit and I was like "is that contagous?" She said no. Hopefully a good Dr. can help your co-worker out

SweetHoneyLocs
05-25-2007, 07:42 AM
Here are two websites that may offer you some information on folliculitis:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/folliculitis/DS00512

http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_dise...lliculitis.html (http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/folliculitis.html)

onyxspirals
05-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Sorry again, for taking forever and a day to reply. My laptop at home is not allowing cookies and I've tried everything to fix it, so, I'm replying while I'm at work. I passed on all of your suggestions and links to my friend. I'm hoping she'll at least consider your advise. This is the most help she's received since this whole thing started. Thanks again for your support.

browneyez06
05-30-2007, 03:29 PM
About 6 years ago, my daughter had something similar to that when I left her with family due to an assignment in Korea. My sister took her to the emergency room because my daughter had these bleeding sores and everything. She got treated and my sister assumed that my daughter caught an infection when she got her hair done at a relative's house. It wasn't until a year ago (after my sister caught the same thing) that the doctor figured it out. She had been getting her hair done at an African shop she frequented around the corner from her house (just as my daughter did). The hair stylist had been braiding their hair so tight, it caused the scalp to get damaged, thus causing it to be open to infection. It was horrible. They both ended up getting the BC!

Happy to say all is well and they both got their hair backl

liberationtheory
05-30-2007, 03:51 PM
folliculitis can occur when a hair is trapped in the follicle. kind of like an in grown hair. i bet the friend ASSUMED she needed to get a cfc b/c the doctor told her that tightly curled hair would be more prone to getting trapped and causing infection.

i've had folliculitis in my "other" hair and it is quite painful. i can see how she thought that getting a cfc would relieve her of that pain, though it would certainly contribute to other hair and skin problems.

so, all that to say, that i doubt the doctor said "go get a p.erm" but there was a miscommunication and assumptions made.

grwingslwly
06-21-2007, 12:31 PM
I dont really have anything to help with this...But I believe this is the reason that I stopped getting perms. I was going to get one but my aunt noticed a large lump, they thought it was a boil and decided not to give me a perm until it healed. Well it did and I never got one. But I do have a large bald spot that is taking forever to grow back fully. It did grow back at one point but it fell out again. Sigh. I do hope that she does the right thing for herself.