PDA

View Full Version : To hot comb, or not to hot comb

LaMosa
02-25-2004, 04:02 PM
I have been considering buying a hot comb :rolling ...Not the kind that mama use to put on the stove, but recently i have seen the ones that you can control the temp with....the electric one. so im thinking, i want to change my look ever so often, and wear it straightened...I love my twist outs, and fro, FOE SHO!!! But i want to try something new without damaging my beautiful hair! :rainfro Any advice??? Also, as a young child, my hair was hot maybe twice a month, i loved it then..it was very versitile...i just want to be able to convert back to my fro and/or curly locks when its all said and done! IF you can, suggest products to use??? THANKS LADIES!!! :bis

Keepitnatural
02-25-2004, 04:07 PM
I would suggest that you view a few of the other post that have spoken about the dangers of using the Hot Comb. This is a topic that isn't very favorable because there have been some women that have had bad results, with their hair not reverting back to nappy.

tran68
02-25-2004, 04:13 PM
honey, it's your hair and your choice. Some have had issues, some have not. I would not let somebody else do it, I'd do it myself tho. I have the jilbere flat iron (well had cause my sister's been hogging it since I bought it) 8) It's too difficult for me to maintain straight hair - sweaty workouts and showers - so if you don't mind covering your head so it doesn't sweat out, or your hair doesn't sweat out easily then go fer it!

BlakReign
02-25-2004, 04:14 PM
You said you don't want to damage you hair right? Then I would suggest not pressing it. Look back a few pages and see all the threads on what happened when so and so pressed their hair. Some have had to BC's all over again..some are just dealing with the damage. Its your head do as you wish. But get some facts before you damage your hair.

elani75
02-25-2004, 04:22 PM
My advice is before you press, read Pages 126-128 in The Black Woman's Guide to Beautiful Hair by Lisa Akbari.

My other advice: DO YOU. Because no one else can and no one else has to wear your hair.

-e

coco4urmind
02-25-2004, 04:34 PM
Well depending on the look you are going for you may have to get a serious trim once the hair is completely straightened.
I was debating getting my hair pressed but the idea of getting an all around cut has been a deterrant. :shock
But that is just me.

Maestradiva77
02-25-2004, 04:37 PM
:tiptoe

Dolliesdaughter
02-25-2004, 05:37 PM
Just be wary if it doesn't work out the way your thought it would. Also be wary that you may damage your hair. Just to let you know if it doesn't work out and you post it here you will get "I told you so".

If it does work out and you get your naps back, please post because we don't hear about those as often as we hear about the latter.

I am serious please post if every thing works out.

tdhayes
02-25-2004, 06:26 PM
Personally, my advice is "Just Say No!" However, since this is your hair, do what you wish. However, just be prepared that you may damage your hair in the process or that it may not turn out as you'd wish.

sjack827
02-25-2004, 07:11 PM
Dayum

Didn't we just go through this whole thing about 4 or 5 times in the past week? I'm concerned because it seems that no matter how many pressing threads get locked, another one keeps popping up like a weed. I was under the impression that it was strongly expressed by the Mods that this was a NATURAL hair care forum and that pressing wasn't a topic for discussion. It's a free country and all that but dang ya'll, why can't we let it rest? Why she have to come here and ask about a hot comb? Why couldn't she have gone to another board where they straighten hair and ask? And the responses. We gotta go there? AGAIN? It's not like this subject hasn't been done to death. This ain't a good place to ask that question.

SassyDiva
02-25-2004, 08:16 PM
I agree just say no. Heat is bad for your hair

LotsOfLocs
02-25-2004, 08:21 PM
How many more thread like this do we need in the course of 2 months? I suggest you read the pressing horror stories. Its not healthy.

http://www.nappturality.com/modules/ipboar...showtopic=22248 (http://www.nappturality.com/modules/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=22248)

http://www.nappturality.com/modules/ipboar...showtopic=22197 (http://www.nappturality.com/modules/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=22197)

http://www.nappturality.com/modules/ipboar...showtopic=21977 (http://www.nappturality.com/modules/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=21977)

Nappalonia
02-25-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by sjack827@Feb 25 2004, 01:11 PM
Dayum

Didn't we just go through this whole thing about 4 or 5 times in the past week? I'm concerned because it seems that no matter how many pressing threads get locked, another one keeps popping up like a weed. I was under the impression that it was strongly expressed by the Mods that this was a NATURAL hair care forum and that pressing wasn't a topic for discussion. It's a free country and all that but dang ya'll, why can't we let it rest? Why she have to come here and ask about a hot comb? Why couldn't she have gone to another board where they straighten hair and ask? And the responses. We gotta go there? AGAIN? It's not like this subject hasn't been done to death. This ain't a good place to ask that question.
Right.

We need the horror stories stuck up front so folks can decide if they still want to go through with it or not, instead of starting these threads that seem to always go down hill :doh

mlduvall
02-25-2004, 08:41 PM
I'd just say be careful. Seems as if multiple people here have had bad experiences with pressing/hot combing. I usually get mine pressed when it's time for a trim...but that's pretty much it. So far, I haven't had any damage from it, and I get my napps back everytime....but everyone's hair is different. I most def. wouldn't make it something I'd practice very often. Get to know your hair and what works for you. That's what we all end up doing after all. Good luck!

NOTE: I think it would be a good ides to post maybe a "Do's and Don'ts" link for things like this. You know... for the people who are new to this or really just don't know. I view this board as a place where we all come to learn. Everyone was new at this at one point in time. Can't get an answer if we don't ask, right?

Peace and :heart
Monica :rainfro

Moderator W
02-25-2004, 09:24 PM
Well, that about covers it. Thanks for keeping it civil! :)