PDA

View Full Version : Columbia

buckeyechick
02-25-2004, 11:25 PM
Columbia (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/25/nyregion/25columbia.html)

Well I'm glad they're showing their true colors, now. Because I was thinking about applying because of the "diversity". The more I think about it, I think I'm just might go to OSU. Its diverse and if there are any active racists on campus they don't voice their views in mass emails, posters, or childish bake sales, they just keep it to themselves :fight

For those of you at other colleges and universities what is the atomsphere on your campus concerning tolerance.

Schiffon
02-26-2004, 01:06 AM
I did summer research at Columbia University (College of P&S, NYSPI)and applied to their MPH program last month. I also have good relationships with several Black faculty members at the university.

I do think that Columbia is making some efforts to change its climate. There are some departments that have excellent Black researchers who are premier in their area and I know that Columbia (on some different levels) are trying to increase minority enrollment.

Yes, it is a lily white school that has a long way to go, yet I think Columbia is being forced to acknowledge this weakness.

Furthermore, I am encouraged that the current adminstration has at least addressed this issue. I want to be part of the solution and I believe that more progressive, social minded minority students need to go to these universities instead of feeling like we have no place there. There is knid of this little joke that some of us Negro's are going over to Columbia to represent and revolutionize the place. If I go there I will walk around like I own the place and contribute to creating a more hospitable for colored peoples.

Thanks for sharing this article. I already knew that Columbia and many schools like it aren't always havens of minority comfort but I want to encourage students to consider "intergrating" these instiutions.

Oh, when I was at Columbia, and I still visit the campus in Wahington Heights (not Morningside) I am always treated with respect. I mean no one at that place smiles (which isn't exactly atypical) in NYC. I mention this to say that although there are ignorant people at the university and others I have had an excellent experience with the institution and several of the Deans whom I have meant on several occassions.

Schiffon
02-26-2004, 01:26 AM
The link to the Columbia University Concerned Students of Color webpage is below. This organization is having a protest this week in response to these incidents.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/uscc/Protest%20Tools.htm

Jamilla
02-26-2004, 01:58 AM
The same thing happened here at Rutgers. Using freedom of speech to justify ignorance, hate, and racism is getting pretty tired. The paper here is called the Medium and it seems that its sole purpose is to provide a place for cowardly yet angry white folk to vent their baseless frustrations. I know everyone's situation is different, but what have 18 to 22 year old white kids in northeastern US in 2004 really been through. They're talking out their arses. The local news did a story on it.

http://www.themedium.net/tv.html

Furthermore, I am encouraged that the current adminstration has at least addressed this issue. I want to be part of the solution and I believe that more progressive, social minded minority students need to go to these universities instead of feeling like we have no place there. There is knid of this little joke that some of us Negro's are going over to Columbia to represent and revolutionize the place. If I go there I will walk around like I own the place and contribute to creating a more hospitable for colored peoples.

Thanks for sharing this article. I already knew that Columbia and many schools like it aren't always havens of minority comfort but I want to encourage students to consider "intergrating" these instiutions.

Well said, Schiffon :thumbsup . It is frustrating that these schools permit this to go on given that nothing productive ever comes of it. But I'm not gonna let some ignorant undergrads stop me from getting my doctorate. There was a lot of uproar on campus last semester and meetings were held though I don't know what the outcome was.

ETA: link to online article from local news http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/wabc_1113...tgerspaper.html (http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/wabc_111303_rutgerspaper.html)

dembasamba
02-26-2004, 07:07 PM
If you can find a school devoid of racial conflict please let me know.

Sadly, this is the state of higher education in this country. At least Columbia is in an area where student activists can draw upon community resources, and allies from other schools, unlike more isolated institutions. I subscribe to a listserv called campus activist net, and stories like this come across the wire with depressing frequency. No where is immune.

ValleyOfDecision
02-27-2004, 12:35 AM
I attend Columbia and regret that I go here. I mainly went because I was told that the school was diverse and my program is #3 in the country and etc. They lied to me. I didn't even care so much about the name; I just wanted to go somewhere a little more diverse than my undergrad but here is MUCH LESS diverse than my undergrad.

I'm not surprised at what happened. Previous to this, the school marching band also went around campus with signs saying "Who needs ethnic studies?" I and other students of color in my particular area of study are disgruntled at the lack of diversity and the racism. But, some of us choose to speak up.

There was a protest at the school today, but since I had an assignment for school outside of class, I couldn't attend it. If there are any more, I'll be there. There's also supposed to be a town hall meeting about this tonight, which I also couldn't attend due to the outside assignment and another huge assignment I have to do.

IMO, the school talks a good game, says it's diverse and etc. But actions (and slick comments) speak louder than words. Despite this, the education is top-notch, I won't front. But I still wish I'd gone elsewhere :smug, even though dembasemba is right. Schiffon may be right too - maybe we need more people of color integrating these schools. BUT, at the same time, if the schools weren't so expensive and if institutionalized racism didn't put up other barriers to people of color going to these schools (it's like a vicious catch-22 circle), then it might be a little easier.

There's my $0.02.

ValleyOfDecision
02-27-2004, 12:36 AM
:offtopic

dembasemba, what's the exact URL of that listserv you subscribe to? I'd be interested in that.

dembasamba
02-27-2004, 01:04 AM
:offtopic

Here's the email info Valley.

Black Radical Congress launches National Campus Network Listservs to connect Black campus activists

The Black Radical Congress (BRC) is launching a National Campus Network (NCN) to inform, connect and support Black activists on both Historically Black (HBCU) and Predominantly White (PWCU) campuses. Active participation in the NCN is open to any member of the BRC and anyone considering becoming a member of the BRC. The NCN is a work team of the BRC, available to coordinate its activities with the initiatives of other BRC bodies.

The purposes for the formation of the NCN include:

1. Developing and implementing plans for nationally mobilizing students (and also faculty, administrators and campus workers) to attend the BRC's Congress 2000, since most schools won't be in session when this Juneteenth Congress takes place.

2. Connecting both activist individuals and campus groups at HBCUs and PWCUs into a network supporting activism, especially including that which heavily involves Black students, on campuses across the country.

3. Recruiting increased numbers of (undergrad & grad) students and faculty to the BRC.

4. Organizing a major sector of strength within the BRC - students and academics - and utilizing the strength of BRC support (especially among faculty) to help accomplish the above ends.

The NCN has two mailing lists at present:

1. The NationalCampusNet list is open to subscription from any interested parties. This list will be moderated for content (limited to higher education topics, especially campus activism and protests).

Subscriptions are available as standard email, daily digest, or www only. To subscribe, email <nationalcampusnet-subscribe@egroups.com> or go to <http://www.egroups.com/group/nationalcampusnet/info.html>.

2. The BRC-NCN-WorkTeam list is open to participation from BRC members on college and university campuses (students [undergrad & grad], faculty, administrators, and workers).

Subscriptions are available as standard email, daily digest, or www only. To subscribe, email <brc-ncn-workteam-subscribe@egroups.com> or go to <http://www.egroups.com/group/brc-ncn-workteam/info.html>.

The NCN Work Team can also be reached via email: <ncnworkteam@email.com>

The Black Radical Congress National Office P.O. Box 490365 Atlanta, GA 30349 Phone: (404) 768-2529 Fax: (404) 614-8563

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- BRC-PRESS: Black Radical Congress - Official Press Releases/Statements -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Subscribe: Email "subscribe brc-press" to <majordomo@tao.ca> -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Archive: http://www.egroups.com/group/brc-press (The first time, you need to "Join" and set your preferences to "Read on the Web") -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Questions/Problems: Send email to <worker-brc-press@lists.tao.ca> -------------------------------------------------------------------------- www.blackradicalcongress.org | BRC | blackradicalcongress@email.com --------------------------------------------------------------------------

__________________________________________________ __________ NBGSA-Postings (nbgsa-postings@lists.cc.utexas.edu) is a moderated list for the dissemination of conference calls, job announcements, funding opportunities and other news and information of possible interest to the membership of the National Black Graduate Students Association.

Visit the NBGSA web site at http://www.nbgsa.org

ValleyOfDecision
02-27-2004, 01:50 AM
Thanks dembasemba. :thumbsup

Now (I guess) back on topic...

Jamilla
02-27-2004, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by ValleyOfDecision@Feb 26 2004, 09:35 PM
I attend Columbia and regret that I go here. I mainly went because I was told that the school was diverse and my program is #3 in the country and etc. They lied to me. I didn&#39;t even care so much about the name; I just wanted to go somewhere a little more diverse than my undergrad but here is MUCH LESS diverse than my undergrad.

I agree with Dembasamba, there&#39;s no escaping it. Also, grad school is always gonna be less diverse than undergrad unless you attend an HBCU for grad school. Columbia? That&#39;s a highly competitive university. That right there should let you know that it&#39;s probably not gonna be as diverse as you&#39;d like it to be. I attend a university that I&#39;m pretty sure has a diverse undergrad population, but I sure wouldn&#39;t know cuz I have no contact with the undergrad population (except for when I&#39;m about to hit one of them jaywalking jokers while I&#39;m driving on campus).

kadburyz
02-27-2004, 05:57 AM
Mr. Schwartz and the Fed&#39;s editors apologized for their insensitivity this week. The leaders of the conservative student group also apologized. But some students said the cartoon and other recent incidents constituted attacks on minority students- Quote from NYT article

I can almost tell you how this will play out. Same script, different cast. Its almost like the play is being directed by the same people.

Incident, big meetings in the minority clubs and circles, protests, shock and awe among those who thought the world was better than this, reluctant apologies with justifications, case closed till the cycle repeats itself on another campus or the same campus years later.

What is wrong with this picture? We keep accepting the mediocre apologies and hope things will change. Sadly, our children will be telling us of similar incidences when they are in college.

Schiffon
02-27-2004, 12:45 PM
strawwberryz,
I suspect that your prophesy will be fulfilled. In your opinion, what changes might lead to tangible improvements? Would increaed students/faculty involvement, orgranization, and concerted agitation ameliorate this situation? Is this a more structural issue that might be remedied by policy changes (sanctioning, etc) within the university. Would increased minority enrollment and faculty appointments be helpful. Is this just a reflection of the more macro belief system that is the foundation of this nation?

I would appreciate any specific recommendations or experiences from other universities that had similar issues.

I would especially like to hear more from dembasamba since she is in academe and has affiliations with orgs like BRC.

ValleyOfDecision
02-29-2004, 05:41 PM
@ Schiffon - I think we as people of color have become too complacent. If this were back in the &#39;50s and &#39;60s, we&#39;d be rioting and protesting, taking over offices and buildings, etc. This is JMHO.

I think a little bit of everything that you suggested might lead to changes or little improvements over time. We need change all around - on micro, mezzo, and marco levels.

dembasamba
03-01-2004, 05:16 PM
@ Schiffon:

I agree with Strawberryz that it is a vicious cycle. Universities are powerful institutions. Schools will diversify thier student bodies before they diversify the curriculum. They&#39;ll throw money at a student center or a scholarship. They&#39;ll bulk up Black studies faster than they&#39;ll diversify the Chemistry department. They&#39;ll issue apologies and kumbayas to black students faster than they will dish out punishment to white students accused of racism and hiding, as usual, behind some free speech type smoke screen.

It is a repetitive cycle that won&#39;t be broken until societal change happens. But we don&#39;t have to wait until then. Student activists can fight to connect thier struggles with the daily struggles all around them. Universities are elite institutions and if you keep the fight on that terrain then the battle is lost. I know firsthand that you have to walk past a lot of homeless folk in order to enter those gates of Columbia University, one of the largest landowners in NYC. Racism on campus exists because racism off campus exists.

HuGrad2002
03-01-2004, 10:19 PM
I was going to apply there for my PhD but I can take my black behind some place else. That is ridiculous

kadburyz
03-02-2004, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by dembasamba@Mar 1 2004, 01:16 PM
@ Schiffon:

I agree with Strawberryz that it is a vicious cycle. Universities are powerful institutions. Schools will diversify thier student bodies before they diversify the curriculum. They&#39;ll throw money at a student center or a scholarship. They&#39;ll bulk up Black studies faster than they&#39;ll diversify the Chemistry department. They&#39;ll issue apologies and kumbayas to black students faster than they will dish out punishment to white students accused of racism and hiding, as usual, behind some free speech type smoke screen.

It is a repetitive cycle that won&#39;t be broken until societal change happens. But we don&#39;t have to wait until then. Student activists can fight to connect thier struggles with the daily struggles all around them. Universities are elite institutions and if you keep the fight on that terrain then the battle is lost. I know firsthand that you have to walk past a lot of homeless folk in order to enter those gates of Columbia University, one of the largest landowners in NYC. Racism on campus exists because racism off campus exists.
:app

Said it better than I would have.

ValleyOfDecision
03-02-2004, 04:23 AM
@ dembasemba - you&#39;re right about Columbia being a large landowner. Did you know they&#39;re trying to encroach even more, and that there have been town hall meetings to address this? I went to one last Tuesday. It&#39;s getting ridiculous, the amount of land Columbia&#39;s trying to take up and kicking long-time residents out in the process. :smug

@ HuGrad - :lol :lol :lol :lol
I kinda don&#39;t blame you, although the name would make you look real good.