PDA

View Full Version : Natural Hair Salons In Houston, Tx?

jp120983
05-19-2007, 06:33 AM
Does anyone know of any GOOD Natural Hair Salons in Houston, TX? I'm transitioning and my friends and i are desperatly looking for a GOOD place to go to for our hair. If not a place maybe a person. Pictures of work would be nice you have any. :)

chinani
05-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Yea, they're hard to find. Unfortunately there are not many good natural hair salons in The H. This thread was about my bad experience (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=96322).

Good luck to you and your friend.

SummerRayn
05-19-2007, 12:27 PM
I know of two great saloons in Houston.

Natural Reign
Hair Stylist-Patrina
281-650-0747
10350-D S. Post Oak
Houston, TX 77035

Also
N'Rikah
713-705-5644
kinkykrowns@hotmail.com

They are both located on the southwest side and are inexpensive.

takingmyhairback
05-26-2007, 09:43 AM
The Root of you Salon and Day Spa (Kinda pricey)
832-778-1225

Uncle Funkies Daughters(the lady is not very nice, but she does hair well)
In the Rice Village
713-528-0888

Salons in the Park
CATHY(specializes in natural hair)
832-882-9048 cell

I am one year natural and I have been to all three. Cathy is my personel favorite, she will work with you to achieve what you want.

Good Luck

kutemommie
05-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Natural Resources
4715 LaBranch St.
713-528-7102

kendranicole2007
05-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Patrina with natural reign does my hair and she has been doing it for the last month or two. I like the way that she does it she is the only person that has done my hair other than some africans that I have had braid my hair for me.

lockshoppe
05-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Does anyone know of any GOOD Natural Hair Salons in Houston, TX? I'm transitioning and my friends and i are desperatly looking for a GOOD place to go to for our hair. If not a place maybe a person. Pictures of work would be nice you have any. :)
[/b]
Lockshoppe is excellent ask for Trudi or Nic 8329841395 located in third ward

yrh11
05-30-2007, 09:13 PM
I made an appointment at Zayd's Natural Hair Salon next week for 2 strand twists. Zayd's is located at 4806 Almeda Rd near to Reggae Hut. I am transitioning myself. I called Natural Resources but they were not taking new client for 2 strand twists at that time. I have heard good and bad reviews about Uncle Funky's Daughter.
Hope this helps.

YolieB

lizzes
05-30-2007, 09:27 PM
I made an appointment at Zayd's Natural Hair Salon next week for 2 strand twists. Zayd's is located at 4806 Almeda Rd near to Reggae Hut. I am transitioning myself. I called Natural Resources but they were not taking new client for 2 strand twists at that time. I have heard good and bad reviews about Uncle Funky's Daughter.
Hope this helps.

YolieB
[/b]

I went to Zayd's for cornrows and they seemed to be a little blowdryer happy. There was a lady in the back doing CFCs, and all the other ladies pulled out a blowdryer for everyone, including the men who came in for braids. It seemed like they were afraid to work with ulaltered nappy hair, even though the owner has dreads.

One of my friends told me about Trudi at lockshoppe.com. She has not done my hair yet, but she seemed very pleasant on the phone.

Miss_Parker01
05-31-2007, 12:35 AM
I went to The Root of Salon and Day Spa for color and twists, the stylist there name is Debroah and she's good but it is kinda pricey. Pics available in my album if you want to see the results. Look under folder 2007 Napptural Journey, album My New Color.

ThummyB
05-31-2007, 03:37 PM
I highly recommend:

Qhijjah (pronounced Key-Jah) at Back to Naturel
7825 Joy St
713-807-7666

She's easy to get along with, and so far she's done a wonderful set of corn rows as well as a set of 2 strand twists (w/extensions) that I get complimented on constantly. I'm :( that I don't live here permanently to go to her long term.

Oh, and she currently maintain's my honey's locs, and they always look great.

I have heard good and bad reviews about Uncle Funky's Daughter.
YolieB
[/b]

My only complaint about this is that they are kinda restrictive w/their services. I wanted corn rows w/extensions, and they told me that they didn&#39;t do any extensions. <_< However, they did a good job on my honey&#39;s locs.

yrh11
05-31-2007, 05:15 PM
I went to The Root of Salon and Day Spa for color and twists, the stylist there name is Debroah and she&#39;s good but it is kinda pricey. Pics available in my album if you want to see the results. Look under folder 2007 Napptural Journey, album My New Color.
[/b]

When you say that The Root of You Salon is pricey for twists, are you talking about over $200? I went there for a shampoo and wash and it was expensive.

Miss_Parker01
06-01-2007, 03:38 AM
Including color, YES!! Twists alone are $75 and up. I want be going back for that cause I started doing my own and they don&#39;t look so bad. Don&#39;t know if I&#39;ll go back at all now that you say a shampoo and wash was expensive. I can only imagine.

Nefertiti2
06-12-2007, 09:33 AM
I am one of those sistas that has been napptural for over 10 years and 5 of those years have been in Houston.

My first choice has alway been Natural Resources, Tamika Fletcher doesn&#39;t take new client for a reason. SHE IS THE BEST IN HOUSTON. She may not be able to do your hair but she may do consultations with those transitioning for free and give you a referral to someone else that passes her approval. Helping people in transition is her specialty and she is very nurturing with her clients.

She also makes her own line of natural hair care products. It is worth going to her shop just to get the products called Earth&#39;s Nectar. Natural Resources (Tamika) can be reached at 713-528-7102.

My next choice is Zayd&#39;s Naturally Natural. Zaneta hooks up my two-strand twists just right. She is definitely the one to go two if you want some creative flat twists styles. I always have to get ten of her cards because people stop me everywhere I go. Zaneta can be reached at 832-665-4919.

I also highly recommend Quijah at Back to Naturel. She is pleasant and a highly skilled at cornrows, two-strand twists and locs styles. I can always tell if she has hooked up someone&#39;s loc styles. Quijah is at 713-803-7666.

gsutiger2
07-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Ok so I am now very ready to get some two strand twists (Me & twa have not been getting along for the last few months). I am going to give Zayd&#39;s Naturally Natural and Patrina with Natural Reign a call. Does anyone have any more recommendations for people who can do some ABSOLUTELY GREAT two strand twists on short hair ?
<---------------------------- See my hair length in the pic.

Thanks!
p.s. ladies, if you have any pics of professionally styled hair - please post or PM

mscocontxus
07-12-2007, 08:23 PM
http://www.treasuredlocks.com/salons.html#TX

kutemommie
08-04-2007, 05:30 PM
I am one of those sistas that has been napptural for over 10 years and 5 of those years have been in Houston.

My first choice has alway been Natural Resources, Tamika Fletcher doesn&#39;t take new client for a reason. SHE IS THE BEST IN HOUSTON. She may not be able to do your hair but she may do consultations with those transitioning for free and give you a referral to someone else that passes her approval. Helping people in transition is her specialty and she is very nurturing with her clients.

She also makes her own line of natural hair care products. It is worth going to her shop just to get the products called Earth&#39;s Nectar. Natural Resources (Tamika) can be reached at 713-528-7102.

My next choice is Zayd&#39;s Naturally Natural. Zaneta hooks up my two-strand twists just right. She is definitely the one to go two if you want some creative flat twists styles. I always have to get ten of her cards because people stop me everywhere I go. Zaneta can be reached at 832-665-4919.

I also highly recommend Quijah at Back to Naturel. She is pleasant and a highly skilled at cornrows, two-strand twists and locs styles. I can always tell if she has hooked up someone&#39;s loc styles. Quijah is at 713-803-7666.
[/b]

Yes, I highly recommend Natural Resources! Tamika helped me so much during my transition. I have yet to get in since I have been completely natural b/c she&#39;s always booked but I am on the waiting list and plan to go for Christmas (need to call next Wednesday to book that). I also have all the natural hair products. My hubby and sons use the Hair Milk daily and I use the pomade, the leave in conditioner (not sure if she still makes that) and the shampoo all great products. I will def. check out Zayds for the times that I can&#39;t get in with Tamika.

Sunny73
08-10-2007, 08:37 AM
I called Soul Sister on Almeda and the owner was rather &#39;abrupt&#39;. I&#39;ll take my business elsewhere, although I&#39;m sure she wouldn&#39;t care lol. I&#39;m just ready to have someone else twist my hair for a change.

kinkytexasgirl
08-10-2007, 10:38 PM
When you say that The Root of You Salon is pricey for twists, are you talking about over $200? I went there for a shampoo and wash and it was expensive.
[/b]
Who did your hair?

I called Soul Sister on Almeda and the owner was rather &#39;abrupt&#39;. I&#39;ll take my business elsewhere, although I&#39;m sure she wouldn&#39;t care lol. I&#39;m just ready to have someone else twist my hair for a change.
[/b]
I had the same experience a few years ago.

kendranicole2007
08-10-2007, 11:02 PM
...its been a while since I have posted something on this matter...

...I went to my local Walmart Salon and discovered that they had a natural stylist...

Michelle - WalMart Salon (Kirkwood and Westheimer) - 713-261-2110

...she is really good and is natural herself...I have pics on my fotki page...

...and she can do twist on those TWA too!!!!...

napsfordays
08-16-2007, 06:53 PM

...I went to my local Walmart Salon and discovered that they had a natural stylist...

[/b]

OMGoodeness!!!! I&#39;m so excited, that is down the street from my house! (Well not exactly down the street, but a lot closer than these other salons.) I can&#39;t believe I missed that!

yrh11
08-25-2007, 08:35 PM
[quote]
Who did your hair?

Tashell did my hair. There is a natural stylist there but I don&#39;t know her name. Hope this helps. Sorry for the late response.

YolieB

atxpoetess
09-01-2007, 10:55 PM

[/b]

Visiting Houston this weekend and I went to see Michelle today because my hair was starting to look out of control.
She did a very good job in shaping my TWA, the curls are really showing through now.

chinani
09-09-2007, 11:43 AM
I&#39;m now in St Louis but just wanted to add that I saw Michelle twice and had very positive experiences. She did really cute cornrows for me. She also cut my hair b/c it was in desperate need. I recommended her to my sister & will continue to recommend her.

Much love to Thick & Lovely for passing the her braider along.

kendranicole2007
11-01-2007, 10:30 AM
...thanks everyone for the kind words...

...just wanted to let everyone know that I now do "hur" out of my house...I have been doing people here and there (((mostly new naturals I would meet out and about)))...so if you ever need a two strand twist, finger coils, color, blow out, chunky fro...PM me...

yrh11
11-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the tip Thick and Lovely. I am about to BC in the next couple of months and may needs some twists done.

Regards,
YolieB

Benisato
11-05-2007, 07:56 AM
Natural Resources
4715 LaBranch St.
713-528-7102
[/b]
This is the webaddress for Natural Resources
http://www.naturalresourcessalon.com/index1.html

Benisato
11-05-2007, 09:36 AM
I made an appointment at Zayd&#39;s Natural Hair Salon next week for 2 strand twists. Zayd&#39;s is located at 4806 Almeda Rd near to Reggae Hut. I am transitioning myself. I called Natural Resources but they were not taking new client for 2 strand twists at that time. I have heard good and bad reviews about Uncle Funky&#39;s Daughter.
Hope this helps.

YolieB
[/b]
Web Address for Zayd&#39;s Naturally Natural Hair.
http://www.zaydsnaturalhair.com

Soul Sister Natural Haircare
1716-A Rosewood
Houston, TX 77004
Phone: 713-521-7685
http://www.thesoulsister.com

Unfortunately I don&#39;t think she is taking clients right now. Her website has some really good links.

natural83
11-07-2007, 10:04 PM
I have a question??? I too am looking for a really good natural hair care stylist in Houston. I live on the North side so if there is anyone over this way...that would be great! However, it really doesn&#39;t matter! I will bring my services to whoever is really good! Here is my deal....I never big chopped...i transitioned by clipping the permed ends off. My last perm was May 12, 2005...so clearly I am all natural now. I need a stylist that is very good with wash-n-go&#39;s, doing unique styles for medium length curly hair, and someone who isn&#39;t very expensive. I&#39;ve heard of Uncle funky&#39;s daughter and the Root of You, but who is really good and the best at what they do????

Natural 83

gsutiger2
12-06-2007, 11:15 AM
bump bump Anyone have any updates?

yrh11
12-06-2007, 07:42 PM
I went to Natural Resources about one month ago to buy some products and they were not taking any new clients. There is another stylist there who was taking clients for locs. I have only been to Zayd&#39;s and I did like my twists. They have good customer service. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Yolie B

gsutiger2
12-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks YollieB for the info! ANY info is good info. Well I did call Natural Resources and she stated to just get an appointment IF one of her regulars cancels will be at least 6 months. But you will still have to come in & do a consultation prior for $20.

I called Trudi who used to work in the back at Zayed&#39;s - she is not in the country & the person who answered referred me to a "Keisha" who is moving to a shop in the 3rd ward very soon.

I did go ahead and make an appointment with Patrina who used to work at Natural Reign on S. Post Oak. Now she is working out of a home. I will try to remember to give an update on her work. I just want a trim, but if I like her work I will have her do two strand twists.

kian18
01-06-2008, 12:57 PM
i have been to zayd&#39;s...i love their customer service and they are more reasonably-priced than uncle funky&#39;s. i heard that uncle funky&#39;s makes u pay a deposit when u make an appointment, and i just cant get with that!

Check me out on Fotki: houstonzeta

Patrina
01-21-2008, 12:55 PM
bump bump Anyone have any updates?
[/b]

Hello Fellow Napp Queens,

**Shameless PLUG**

I care for natural crowns out of my tranquil home environment. My company name is NaturalReign. No long lines, your pocketbook will be safe here, and I work with your schedule. I use natural products, and I immensely enjoy caring for natural hair. I sell a moisture spritz which has jojoba oil, olive oil, etc. and the hair pomade is a shea-butter based mixture that a Master Loctitian in Houston makes for me.

I believe in total body health. If you have any hair/health Q&#39;s, I would be glad to assist you in any way. I will almost always supply a natural remedy. For example, the health of your body shows in your nails and hair. So care for the entire natural YOU, not just your coils.

I am a licensed cosmetologist holding my license for 7+ years and I do not perform any perming, weaving, hot-combing, blowouts, etc. I care for hair in its natural state. I do braids, twists, locs (I have a set of my own :P ), wash N trim, etc. Give me a call and I will be honored to care for your natural ends.

I plan on getting my website set up in the near future so I will post when that is up and running. I am also trying to get a booth for the Natural Hair show in Atlanta. So God willing, I hope to see a few Napp nappies in the house.

If you do not already have it, PM me for my number.

Blessings,

Patrina
NaturalReign

Chantal7399
01-24-2008, 09:34 AM
RE: natural resources salon

i&#39;m on their website and their gallery is amazing.
too bad the prices are so dang high. i&#39;m glad that they have descriptions next to the photos so you can see which styles are all natural, have extensions or are wigs.

i can&#39;t get with paying $75 for 2 strand twist.
i&#39;ll just have to hunker down and do them myself friday after work.

in the past i&#39;ve contemplated going to uncle funky&#39;s, but the fact that they&#39;re in rice village tells me a bit about them. the fact that they trippin with that deposit tells me even more. probably started off with good intentions, but then they got lost.

Ash2005
01-26-2008, 05:25 AM
Hello Fellow Napp Queens,

**Shameless PLUG**

I care for natural crowns out of my tranquil home environment. My company name is NaturalReign. No long lines, your pocketbook will be safe here, and I work with your schedule. I use natural products, and I immensely enjoy caring for natural hair. I sell a moisture spritz which has jojoba oil, olive oil, etc. and the hair pomade is a shea-butter based mixture that a Master Loctitian in Houston makes for me.

I believe in total body health. If you have any hair/health Q&#39;s, I would be glad to assist you in any way. I will almost always supply a natural remedy. For example, the health of your body shows in your nails and hair. So care for the entire natural YOU, not just your coils.

I am a licensed cosmetologist holding my license for 7+ years and I do not perform any perming, weaving, hot-combing, blowouts, etc. I care for hair in its natural state. I do braids, twists, locs (I have a set of my own :P ), wash N trim, etc. Give me a call and I will be honored to care for your natural ends.

I plan on getting my website set up in the near future so I will post when that is up and running. I am also trying to get a booth for the Natural Hair show in Atlanta. So God willing, I hope to see a few Napp nappies in the house.

If you do not already have it, PM me for my number.

Blessings,

Patrina
NaturalReign
[/b]

I sent you a PM.

magnoliagoddess
01-28-2008, 01:04 PM
I have been natural for 2 years now and have been seeing Toshia at Zayd&#39;s for about 1.5 years. I LOVE her talent and technique, but I LOATHE the fact that she is always running behind schedule and what would take 2.5 hours takes 4. With a family to care for I am more likely to part with my money than my time: You can&#39;t have both though. Not to mention my hair was horribly damaged from getting it pressed and I didn&#39;t recieve and therapeutical remedy for that when I next saw her. It was on with the show... So...I&#39;m seeking Patrina with Natural Reign out... I need someone who will not only care for my hair, but save me from myself! Everyone&#39;s hair is not meant to be pressed. I&#39;ll report back!

everynationgrl
01-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Hey ladies. Do you know a good braider in Houston? I want freestyle braids. I have a friend that does kinky twists but I need a change. I need a protective style that will last for a couple months. I had a great braider in Los Angeles that really focused on healthy hair and it makes such a big difference. I don&#39;t want really small braids that will cause by hair to break off. I want the braider to care about the health of my hair. Any suggestions?

pthizzle
01-31-2008, 01:57 PM
I have been natural for 2 years now and have been seeing Toshia at Zayd&#39;s for about 1.5 years. I LOVE her talent and technique, but I LOATHE the fact that she is always running behind schedule and what would take 2.5 hours takes 4. With a family to care for I am more likely to part with my money than my time: You can&#39;t have both though. Not to mention my hair was horribly damaged from getting it pressed and I didn&#39;t recieve and therapeutical remedy for that when I next saw her. It was on with the show... So...I&#39;m seeking Patrina with Natural Reign out... I need someone who will not only care for my hair, but save me from myself! Everyone&#39;s hair is not meant to be pressed. I&#39;ll report back!
[/b]

i had a bad experience with Toshia and Zayd&#39;s. i was recommended to her by the owner of the salon. first, she didn&#39;t write in my appointment on the correct day. so i had to reschedule. then when i was finally able to get in with her, she double booked herself. and since the client was an ex-boyfriend, i got bumped. then to top that, everyone was gone for the day, so a loud mouth, product peddling student stylist ended up doing my 2 strand twist. $80 bucks down the drain! i&#39;ll never go back.

satriela
02-03-2008, 04:42 PM
After 7 years of being natural, I&#39;m ready to loc. I&#39;m looking for a loctician who can create manicured locs on my head. Good prices are a plus. All this time I&#39;ve always done my own hair, but a friend gave me a heads up on the amont of work required for manicured locs so I&#39;ll be going the pay somebody else route for this one. At least until they are mature. Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

nu_2natural
02-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Does anyone know of any GOOD Natural Hair Salons in Houston, TX? I&#39;m transitioning and my friends and i are desperatly looking for a GOOD place to go to for our hair. If not a place maybe a person. Pictures of work would be nice you have any. :)
[/b]

I go to Zayd&#39;s and they seem to be kind of a hot spot, but that&#39;s just because that&#39;s the only place I&#39;ve witnessed personally. There is another place on Rosewood called Soul Sister Natural haircare. It is 1716-A Rosewood @ Almeda. You can go here The Soul Sister (http://www.thesoulsister.com) to check out her work and her website.

kinkytexasgirl
03-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Prensetta at The Root of You does an excellent job with rod sets, starter locs,transition styles, natural 2 strand twist,loc maintenances and natural hair color using all natural product lines such as Chi by Farouk and Aveda.

LaRuth at The Root of You does a terrific job with natural braids and natural 2 strand twist

U can go to www.therootofyou.com for more info- they have 3 people that work with natural hair and these Ive been to all three but these 2 are the least expensive and the most consistent

bklynsmile77
03-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Thank y&#39;all my sister friend just moved to Houston and is looking for someone to do her locs. She isn&#39;t a member of NP even though I have been telling her to join for years maybe she would get to meet you lovely ladies since she is new to HTown.

__nini
03-21-2008, 06:57 PM
The Root of you Salon and Day Spa (Kinda pricey)
832-778-1225

Uncle Funkies Daughters(the lady is not very nice, but she does hair well)
In the Rice Village
713-528-0888

Good Luck
[/b]

I totally agree!!! She stared at me too much, kept telling me to get online and then call the salon for consultation. I&#39;ve already been online!!!!! Then again, why won&#39;t she talk to me face-to-face instead of referring me to the website. Ugh.

biancanew
03-22-2008, 09:16 PM
I totally agree!!! She stared at me too much, kept telling me to get online and then call the salon for consultation. I&#39;ve already been online!!!!! Then again, why won&#39;t she talk to me face-to-face instead of referring me to the website. Ugh.
[/b]

Well I tried to get the Soul Sista but she&#39;s not taking any new clients. I went to Uncle Funky&#39;s Daughter in January 2008 to get a freedom cut and I was turned down. The bald lady there said she could not cut my hair because in her opinion I did not have enough &#39;new growth&#39; but she could however make me bald like her. I have a flyer from Zayd&#39;s because I was in the area. I went in and I liked how it looked but I noticed they do CFCs in there and I honestly hate that dang smell! So I left.
Last but not least a friend of mine went to the Root of You and hated her hair. I don&#39;t know who did it but she said she paid too much for it to be so awful. It was a color and cut. She wears an afro so I think she just wanted it shaped.
I am glad to know I&#39;m not the only one at a loss here in H-Town!

chinani
03-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Well I tried to get the Soul Sista but she&#39;s not taking any new clients. I went to Uncle Funky&#39;s Daughter in January 2008 to get a freedom cut and I was turned down. The bald lady there said she could not cut my hair because in her opinion I did not have enough &#39;new growth&#39; but she could however make me bald like her. I have a flyer from Zayd&#39;s because I was in the area. I went in and I liked how it looked but I noticed they do CFCs in there and I honestly hate that dang smell! So I left.
Last but not least a friend of mine went to the Root of You and hated her hair. I don&#39;t know who did it but she said she paid too much for it to be so awful. It was a color and cut. She wears an afro so I think she just wanted it shaped.
I am glad to know I&#39;m not the only one at a loss here in H-Town!
[/b]The bald lady -- can&#39;t remember her name -- is usually so nice! Hmmm... and what is "enough" new growth mean? That&#39;s just silly. :rolleyes:

everynationgrl
03-26-2008, 07:38 PM
I am still looking for a braider. Does anyone know a good braider? I want cornrows (not tight ones) and individuals in the back. PLEASE HELP!!

mscocontxus
03-27-2008, 07:18 AM
I know of a braider, though she works out of her home, and is not a true "professional." This lady has done my hair & I must say her work is truly professional and the cost is on point.

If you&#39;re willing to consider her, PM me. And along the non-professional lines, I could help with locks, PM me for details.

chinani
04-03-2008, 10:07 PM
[/b]
She&#39;s a good braider. She does natural hair at her house b/c Walmart doesn&#39;t allow braiding to be done in their salon. She&#39;s very reasonably priced. I went to her & so did my older sis. We have no complaints. I&#39;d still go, but I&#39;ve moved to StL.

ravenbell
04-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Has anyone tried braids by joy or knotty roots?

I am at such a loss....people are taking your money pretending like they can do styles and they can&#39;t!!!! I am not giving anymore of my money to these pretenders! They take no pride in their work and send you out the door looking any kind of way! With twists that uunravel (okay by now you figured out I am angry). I so desperately have one shop that I know does good work and that is Natural Resources but the stylist there is booked to the end of time and I do mean the end lol :lol: I have been trying to get an appointment for over 2 years. I keep hoping she will train someone to work and take people like me on as clients in her shop but that is not happening. She has a very nice shop. It is sad that it has to be this way here in my hometown. There has got to be someone HELP! Where are the beautifu double strand twisters.

nathlms
04-30-2008, 09:46 PM
I am at such a loss....people are taking your money pretending like they can do styles and they can&#39;t!!!! I am not giving anymore of my money to these pretenders! They take no pride in their work and send you out the door looking any kind of way! With twists that uunravel (okay by now you figured out I am angry). I so desperately have one shop that I know does good work and that is Natural Resources but the stylist there is booked to the end of time and I do mean the end lol :lol: I have been trying to get an appointment for over 2 years. I keep hoping she will train someone to work and take people like me on as clients in her shop but that is not happening. She has a very nice shop. It is sad that it has to be this way here in my hometown. There has got to be someone HELP! Where are the beautifu double strand twisters.
[/quote]
I&#39;m with you on that!!! I couldn&#39;t contact the lady who used to do my hair so I called Uncle Funky&#39;s Daughter. My twists were nice...until 1 fell out 2 weeks after having them done! I have been wearing twists since 2002 and this was the 1st time one ever slid out. I didn&#39;t even have them in for 2 months before I removed them. 4 more came out by then. The week before I took them out I went to Knappi by Nature. Even worse. The guy must have never done them before. 1 came out and another was coming undone before the end of the day. I went back for him to re-twist those. Another started to come down the next day and by day 3 one had come out completely. $140 down the drain when it could have been in the gas tank :angry: . I was able to get in touch with Back to Naturel at their new location. I have an appointment in 2 weeks but will take this hot mess down today. Lesson learned: request a PERSONAL portfolio of clients. Yeah I know $140 is cheap but the $$$ at UFD proves you don&#39;t always get what you pay for. D at Knappi By Nature CANNOT do 2-strand twists so don&#39;t even waste you time.

ravenbell
05-01-2008, 04:00 PM

I&#39;m with you on that!!! I couldn&#39;t contact the lady who used to do my hair so I called Uncle Funky&#39;s Daughter. My twists were nice...until 1 fell out 2 weeks after having them done! I have been wearing twists since 2002 and this was the 1st time one ever slid out. I didn&#39;t even have them in for 2 months before I removed them. 4 more came out by then. The week before I took them out I went to Knappi by Nature. Even worse. The guy must have never done them before. 1 came out and another was coming undone before the end of the day. I went back for him to re-twist those. Another started to come down the next day and by day 3 one had come out completely. $140 down the drain when it could have been in the gas tank :angry: . I was able to get in touch with Back to Naturel at their new location. I have an appointment in 2 weeks but will take this hot mess down today. Lesson learned: request a PERSONAL portfolio of clients. Yeah I know $140 is cheap but the $$$ at UFD proves you don&#39;t always get what you pay for. D at Knappi By Nature CANNOT do 2-strand twists so don&#39;t even waste you time.
[/b]

Gurl you are better than me I give up.....I am done. That 185 I lost could have went towrds many things for me. What gets me is they know they are doing a a poor job but yet they still take your money. If it were me I would not allow someone to walk out my shop with their hair jacked up and spread the word! All a stylist has is their name. That use to mean something but they don&#39;t care and they should the word spreads quickly. Where is Knappi by Nature? Who does hair in back to natural that is SUPPOSE to be good? I saw a sign on Blodgett in third ward that said Knappi or Knot opening soon...has anyone heard of that? Braids by Joy? She has a myspace but I was not impressed www.myspace.com/braidsbyjoy I am not giving my money to another on of these wanksters! LMAO...That 185 was the final damn straw for me. I called natural resources and still no appointments ....still not training another stylist to take on cients that can&#39;t get an appointment with Tameka. She could train someone and still be making plenty cash! She gots no competition from what I have seen on the double strands in Houston. Somebody must be doing good hair somewhere in the area! We need to keep this going and warn the Houston Ladies about these fraud a** chicks and their ABILITY to do a wack job and take your cash with a straight face. Lawdy :angry: I started thinking about my cash not counting what I paid for hair and I am getting angry all over again. LOL :lol:

ravenbell
05-01-2008, 04:20 PM

[/b]

Also don&#39;t get me started on Uncle Funkys. Now I did not think she did bad work. I went to her when I first went natural she was one of the originals on the scene down here. But her personality and her husband is just terrible. I did not go back not because of her work but the customer service. When I am handing you my cash smile at me be polite, treat me like I matter, like my business is valued and appreciated. Don&#39;t just take 100, 200 dollars out my hand and treat me like crap! When I was living the lye I was a faithful, loyal client and I could be that as a natural if I could find someone who valued my business and did good work. Now that I think about it she is just okay at what she does. My hair knowlege was limited and I did not know what the styles should look like when I first went natural. What I thought may have been the bomb back then then now has turned out to just be a fire cracker...

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH let&#39;s help someone save their mpney, feeling and time!!!! Put these people on blast!!!! And also if they are good give them their props and tell the truth!

Happynapp
05-02-2008, 08:05 PM
sounds like we to get up some folks and go talk to these imposters. I feel that some of the cost of hair care is too high -- maybe if we took some of these folks to small claims court maybe they would stop cheating folks out of their money. 185 is 185 for real I&#39;d be ticked off about that cash...........
Z
Ladies keep shining the light on poor service it helps us all...............

dessence
05-04-2008, 11:41 PM
sounds like we to get up some folks and go talk to these imposters. I feel that some of the cost of hair care is too high -- maybe if we took some of these folks to small claims court maybe they would stop cheating folks out of their money. 185 is 185 for real I&#39;d be ticked off about that cash...........
Z
Ladies keep shining the light on poor service it helps us all...............
[/b]

I don&#39;t know, even though I&#39;ve never gotten my hair done at Uncle Funky&#39;s, I don&#39;t really know about the owner ( the woman, Tanya), Ray, her husband has always been very nice to me. I was one of their first customers, the boutique part, and I&#39;ve spent hours talking to him. My sister has gotten her hair done there, and hated it. We&#39;ve also been to Natural Resources, Tamika is an old classmate of mine from college, and she is so nice, peaceful and knowledgeable. I agree with posters, it is very hard to get an appointment with her, which speaks volumes of her professionalism and work. What I can say is, everyone keep on smiling and for those who&#39;ve had a bad experience, don&#39;t let it discourage you. Ask someone in Houston, if you see someone who has a nice and natural hairstyle, where did they go. That&#39;s usually the first step.

ravenbell
05-05-2008, 05:47 PM
I don&#39;t know, even though I&#39;ve never gotten my hair done at Uncle Funky&#39;s, I don&#39;t really know about the owner ( the woman, Tanya), Ray, her husband has always been very nice to me. I was one of their first customers, the boutique part, and I&#39;ve spent hours talking to him. My sister has gotten her hair done there, and hated it. We&#39;ve also been to Natural Resources, Tamika is an old classmate of mine from college, and she is so nice, peaceful and knowledgeable. I agree with posters, it is very hard to get an appointment with her, which speaks volumes of her professionalism and work. What I can say is, everyone keep on smiling and for those who&#39;ve had a bad experience, don&#39;t let it discourage you. Ask someone in Houston, if you see someone who has a nice and natural hairstyle, where did they go. That&#39;s usually the first step.
[/b]

Everyone I stop and ask says.........Tameka "Natural Resources". I can see from the quality of her work and the fact she stays booked she is professional and she is very nice.....BUT....I wish she would train someone else so she could rescue the rest of us that are lost. It would be so wonderful. But thanks for the words of encouragment but it is not looking good for us poor ladies down here in Houston. Ladies keep um going don&#39;t let this end I am so tired of loosing my money. "Cathy" I wish I could think of her shop it is off Westheimer in one of those large booth rental hair spots. She gave me a straw set for 75 dollars. When I left 3 hours later my ends turned to cotton balls. She told me natural hair was trial and error and then said I should have put papers on your ends and used a different product! She knew she did me dirty in the first place :angry: . See the thing is they want to try to fix the problem on your head. They assume you want to come and and sit another 5+ hours for them to try to fix something that they should have gotten right the first time! Don&#39;t advertise yourself as an expert then say to your client it is trial and error!! My money wasn&#39;t trial and error and she was not trying to give it back.

mscocontxus
05-08-2008, 02:42 AM
Wow....

I had no idea, are you ladies talking about 2 strand twists with extensions?

ravenbell
05-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Wow....

I had no idea, are you ladies talking about 2 strand twists with extensions?
[/b]

Yes, that is all I was looking for.... two strand twists

nathlms
05-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Jahmeela at Strictly Roots does good quality work as well. She&#39;s the first person I went to after going natural. I thought she had moved but picked up her business card yesterday and found her new location. Give her a call too 713.529.5017.

Miss Natalie

kharamel
05-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Can anyone suggest a loctician to me that uses the tool tightening method to groom locs? I would prefer someone who has a reputation for quality work and a good attitude. :D Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.

Kharamel

pthizzle
06-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Ok I went in for a consult yesterday. The guy that answered the phone, Ray, was very nice. I was surprised that it was such a small place. I was expecting it to be bigger I guess. I walked in and everybody spoke except the stylist at the first chair. The stylist who did my consult was nice enough. I have an appointment with her next week for twists. I&#39;ll report back on how it went and post pics to my myspace.
[/b]

i&#39;m glad you had a good experience. a lot of people down this salon because of one of the ladies who works there (Ray&#39;s wife - i don&#39;t know her name). she was kinda nasty to me when i first wanted to BC. she told me i didn&#39;t have enough hair. just how much hair is enough anyway? any hoot...

Ray is great, he&#39;s always so nice and remembers me everytime i come in, even though it&#39;s every blue moon.

it is a small shop. their clothing and accessories are a bit over priced. but if you&#39;re looking for some of your favorite products and you can&#39;t wait to have them shipped to you, you can check there. they have a decent selection.

Maryah04
06-25-2008, 04:18 PM
not sure what # you dialed for Zayd&#39;s but the number is 713 526 6162. It isa landline and not a cell so I am not sure why you would have received a "cricket" error message. try this # and hope you have a little more success. good luck.

Ok I had to come back to this since I have officially relocated to the Houston area. I attempted to contact some of the ppl and salons mentioned in this thread. First Natural Resources. I was told they are only accepting new clients for locs or loc maintenance. They MAY start taking new clients for other services in 1/09.

Zayd&#39;s the number the Cricket number was disconnected. WTF?

Back to Naturel, the number was a fax number.

So then I decided to give Uncle Funky&#39;s a shot since I&#39;m desperate here. The guy I spoke to was nice enough. I&#39;m gonna go in for a consult next week. I&#39;ll report back on how that went.
[/b]

thanks for posting Jahmeela&#39;s #.

Jahmeela at Strictly Roots does good quality work as well. She&#39;s the first person I went to after going natural. I thought she had moved but picked up her business card yesterday and found her new location. Give her a call too 713.529.5017.

Miss Natalie
[/b]

yrh11
06-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Ok today was my appointment @ Uncle Funky&#39;s for twists and I&#39;m happy to say that my experience was very positive. My stylist was very nice and did a wonderful job. I&#39;ll be going back.
[/b]

Do you have any pics of your twists? I go to Uncle Funky&#39;s to get hair products. Ray is so nice and even gave me some free samples of Taliah Waajid&#39;s Lock it Up. I saw some twists there and they look nice. I am really considering them for my next hair appointment. People seem to either hate it or love it.

I like Deardre from Zayd&#39;s. She does a great job on my twist-outs. I called a couple of weeks ago to inquire about getting tree braids in the front and a sew-in for the back. Deardre referred me to Toshia. Toshia took my information and never called me back. She said she was going to check and get back with me because she did not have her appointment book with her. I called a couple of days later and she said she cannot find her appointment book. Well after much frustration I ended up going to Sister Sister. Usually Zayd&#39;s has great customer service so I was very disappointed. I still may continue to use Deardre but am exploring all my options now.

YolieB

SEXYHAIR
07-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Everyone I stop and ask says.........Tameka "Natural Resources". I can see from the quality of her work and the fact she stays booked she is professional and she is very nice.....BUT....I wish she would train someone else so she could rescue the rest of us that are lost. It would be so wonderful. But thanks for the words of encouragment but it is not looking good for us poor ladies down here in Houston. Ladies keep um going don&#39;t let this end I am so tired of loosing my money. "Cathy" I wish I could think of her shop it is off Westheimer in one of those large booth rental hair spots. She gave me a straw set for 75 dollars. When I left 3 hours later my ends turned to cotton balls. She told me natural hair was trial and error and then said I should have put papers on your ends and used a different product! She knew she did me dirty in the first place :angry: . See the thing is they want to try to fix the problem on your head. They assume you want to come and and sit another 5+ hours for them to try to fix something that they should have gotten right the first time! Don&#39;t advertise yourself as an expert then say to your client it is trial and error!! My money wasn&#39;t trial and error and she was not trying to give it back.
[/b]

I WENT TO CATHY AND I AM STILL TRYING TO RECOVER FROM THE DAMAGE SHE DID ON MY HAIR SHE CONVINCED ME THAT BLOW DRYING MY HAIR EVERY OTHER WEEK WOULD NOT DAMAGE MY HAIR AND BECAUSE SHE WAS RECOMMENDED ON HERE AND CLAIMS TO SPECIALIZE IN NATURAL HAIR I BELIEVED HER. NOW MY HAIR HAS BEEN THINNED OUT FROM THAT EXCESSIVE HEAT!

kutemommie
07-13-2008, 02:19 AM
I was finally able to get in at Natural Resources after not being able to get an appointment for 2 years. I was always there while transitioning, but it came nearly impossible to get one appointment after I cut all my chemical fire cream off. Tameka only does hair Thursday through Sunday and she&#39;s so good that&#39;s why we can&#39;t get in, BUT I need to find someone to do my hair for those times that I can&#39;t get in to her that does hair just as good as she does if possible. I will def. check out some of the ladies/salons you all have mentioned.

yrh11
07-19-2008, 01:29 AM
I was finally able to get in at Natural Resources after not being able to get an appointment for 2 years. I was always there while transitioning, but it came nearly impossible to get one appointment after I cut all my chemical fire cream off. Tameka only does hair Thursday through Sunday and she&#39;s so good that&#39;s why we can&#39;t get in, BUT I need to find someone to do my hair for those times that I can&#39;t get in to her that does hair just as good as she does if possible. I will def. check out some of the ladies/salons you all have mentioned.
[/b]

How did Tameka style your hair? How were you able to get an appointment? Did you call every month? Were you on a wait list?

YolieB

kutemommie
07-19-2008, 01:59 AM
Tameka has been doing my hair since I was transitioning.I don&#39;t think she&#39;s taking new clients now if that&#39;s what you are asking. So...since I am an old client I asked her in January if she had anything in June...long time huh? It&#39;s hard as a client to get an appointment. Her work is so good though so I am sure that&#39;s why. She had flat twist in the front of my hair and two strand twist with my own hair in the back. She pulled my two strand twist in an updo and I wore it like that for a week then took them down to let them hang the second week and the third week I wore a twist out...can&#39;t beat that!

ravenbell
07-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Okay ladies I have some news:

In June I went to the breakfast club and there was a girl with beautiful double strand twists. I got a little closer and I said that looks like Tamekas work (a good thing,BUT not so good because you can&#39;t get in with her). Well they were not Tamekas. I complimented her and asked who did them. She said there are only two people in houston who twist like this and one you will never get an appointment with! I said natural resources right and she said yes. But the stylist who did these is at a salon call Hair Gallery by Dee on West Bellfort and Gessner.
I went for a consult now I must warn you the shop is not a natural hair salon at all. She said with hair my twists would be 150. I went back on the June 25th. She did a wonderful job my hair is beautiful still twisted. I will take them down soon. I was put off at first because it was not a natural hair spot but hell I went to all the so called natural hair salons and they were boo boo. Her name is Daphne pm me for her number. If you like that natural resources look she is the one TRUST ME~ ;)

queent
07-24-2008, 06:37 PM
[/b]

I have to agree that Tameka is extremely knowledgeable. her partner Monique is my boyfriends&#39; stylist so he got me in with her to so a consult. That meeting with her not long before I bc&#39;d was extremely influential in the pursuit of information on living naturally. Unfortunately getting an appointment with her is practically impossible. She has a &#39;walk on&#39; list when she has openings so I suggest you try to get on that, but in the meantime I am on the hunt for a stylist too. I&#39;ll post anything I come across.

ravenbell
07-24-2008, 10:38 PM
I WENT TO CATHY AND I AM STILL TRYING TO RECOVER FROM THE DAMAGE SHE DID ON MY HAIR SHE CONVINCED ME THAT BLOW DRYING MY HAIR EVERY OTHER WEEK WOULD NOT DAMAGE MY HAIR AND BECAUSE SHE WAS RECOMMENDED ON HERE AND CLAIMS TO SPECIALIZE IN NATURAL HAIR I BELIEVED HER. NOW MY HAIR HAS BEEN THINNED OUT FROM THAT EXCESSIVE HEAT!
[/b]

So sorry ...BUT has the nerve to put natural hair expert on her card! WACK!!!! You will get it back. Also ladies be warned culture salon not a natural hair expert either.

CreoleBelle
07-26-2008, 02:56 AM
I&#39;m also becoming discouraged with so called "natural hair salons." I would like to get some 2 strand twists done. Can anyone recommend someone who is reasonably priced and does a good job with 2 strand twists? It could be someone who does hair out of their home or one of the ladies from this forum. I don&#39;t need a licensed stylist to twist my hair, I just want someone who can do a good job. Thanks.

EbonieRose
08-05-2008, 06:31 PM
*bumpity-doo-dah*

I have found Back to Naturel&#39;s current location! Last I heard they were in the Mesa area near Wayside, but they moved since then.

I&#39;m a bit annoyed at their site because they want a deposit and your hair to be completely detangled when you get there. :angry: However, if you keep scrolling and see the services they offer, it miiiiiiiiiight be worth it. :dunno:

Phone: 713-571-1100

The address isn&#39;t on their site, but they&#39;re in 3rd Ward on Dowling near McGowen based on a few sites I&#39;ve gone to. I&#39;d call and ask to make sure.

I personally don&#39;t bother with natural salons. I went to BTN when I was transitioning and got some cornrows done, and they only charged me $25. That was over 2 years ago, though. I&#39;ve had my hair braided twice since then, and I didn&#39;t go to a natural salon either time. The first time, I went to Top Braider across from Sharpstown Mall and she did some small-ish box braids for $150 plus hair costs. Last year I went to Young Team Braiding Salon on Uvalde and they did the same size for $180 plus hair costs. Both were on completely natural, c-napp hair and produced similar results.

Top Braider took 6 hours with one person doing my head the entire time, nonstop. Young Team took 11 hours with every braider in the salon on my head at some point during the day. Oh, and my scalp was sore from getting stabbed in the head with the rattail comb.

I will be planning on some sort of fake-hair-oriented protective style when winter comes, so I&#39;ll be doing this again.

chinani
08-06-2008, 03:17 PM

In June I went to the breakfast club and there was a girl with beautiful double strand twists. I got a little closer and I said that looks like Tamekas work (a good thing,BUT not so good because you can&#39;t get in with her). Well they were not Tamekas. I complimented her and asked who did them. She said there are only two people in houston who twist like this and one you will never get an appointment with! I said natural resources right and she said yes. But the stylist who did these is at a salon call Hair Gallery by Dee on West Bellfort and Gessner.
I went for a consult now I must warn you the shop is not a natural hair salon at all. She said with hair my twists would be 150. I went back on the June 25th. She did a wonderful job my hair is beautiful still twisted. I will take them down soon. I was put off at first because it was not a natural hair spot but hell I went to all the so called natural hair salons and they were boo boo. Her name is Daphne pm me for her number. If you like that natural resources look she is the one TRUST ME~ ;)
[/b]
Have you gone in yet? I&#39;m looking to get some flat twists in front and two strands in back (no extensions). I wish they had a website. I don&#39;t want to drive all over Houston for nothing...

ravenbell
08-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Have you gone in yet? I&#39;m looking to get some flat twists in front and two strands in back (no extensions). I wish they had a website. I don&#39;t want to drive all over Houston for nothing...
[/b]

I went already on June 25th taking them out this weekend and I love love love loved them :lol: ! She did such excellent work they looked natural!!!! I know she has no website but they look like they could have been done at natural resources BEAUTIFUL!!!! I am going to give my hair a break get a good deep condition and trim and do it again!

Maryah04
08-18-2008, 08:06 PM
:wub: I am a college student and looking to make a little extra cash. I braid, twist & sew in at reasonable prices. I am not licensed but thats not a big deal to some. I make house calls and work odd hours if needed. PM me if interested.

Monica :)

pthizzle
08-25-2008, 01:44 AM

[/b]

thank you soooo much ravenbell for the info.

i called daphne last tuesday and stopped by thursday for a consultation. she was sooo nice over the phone and in person. i went saturday and she did my hair. i am so satisfied. i will post pictures on my fotki soon.

she was so nice and professional. my only complaint is that she ran 1 1/2 hour late for my appointment. but i forgot that it was the saturday before school started. so that was to be expected.

my twists look so natural, they&#39;re light and for the first time in my life - THEY DON&#39;T HURT!! i plan to go back as soon as these are ready to come out.

she is not a natural stylist, but she said she has customers who are natural. i am now her #1 fan. she did an awesome job!!

Dree25
08-25-2008, 05:27 PM

Miss Natalie
[/b]

Disagree. Not punctual at all kept rescheduling all in a day. Eats while doing hair and puts hands in your hair. Talks on the phone and stops doing hair to talk on the phone. Gets tired and pixie braids the rest. Not professional and co-worker is not professional either. Do not go to Strictly Roots in 3rd Ward.

ravenbell
08-27-2008, 12:36 AM
thank you soooo much ravenbell for the info.

i called daphne last tuesday and stopped by thursday for a consultation. she was sooo nice over the phone and in person. i went saturday and she did my hair. i am so satisfied. i will post pictures on my fotki soon.

she was so nice and professional. my only complaint is that she ran 1 1/2 hour late for my appointment. but i forgot that it was the saturday before school started. so that was to be expected.

my twists look so natural, they&#39;re light and for the first time in my life - THEY DON&#39;T HURT!! i plan to go back as soon as these are ready to come out.

she is not a natural stylist, but she said she has customers who are natural. i am now her #1 fan. she did an awesome job!!
[/b]

Be sure to let us know when you post those pic&#39;s. So they can see what we are talking about! YEAH!!!

ravenbell
08-27-2008, 12:49 AM
Disagree. Not punctual at all kept rescheduling all in a day. Eats while doing hair and puts hands in your hair. Talks on the phone and stops doing hair to talk on the phone. Gets tired and pixie braids the rest. Not professional and co-worker is not professional either. Do not go to Strictly Roots in 3rd Ward.
[/b]

Thats what I am talking about keep it real and share these experiences. NO MORE TAKING MONEY FROM US AND DAMAGING OUR HAIR!!! Its a recession and people just can&#39;t be ripping us off and playing with our natural/nappy emotions! :lol:

chinani
08-27-2008, 04:12 PM
My report is tardy, but here it goes:

I tried to schedule an appointment with Zayd&#39;s back on Aug 5th-7th but they never picked up the phone. Weird... don&#39;t they have call waiting or something? Anyhow, I took Ravenbell&#39;s suggestion and called Hair Gallery by Dee. Now, I didn&#39;t remember to ask for ya girl (Daphne), so I had an appointment on August 8th with Mische instead. Mische was very polite over the phone. Our appointment started a bit late but only b/c she still had someone in her chair... that didn&#39;t bother me b/c all sorts of things can happen in a work day... I got flat twists in the back and twists in the front. It looked very good. I got lots of compliments. B/c I&#39;m on a budget I&#39;ve been refreshing the twists myself and letting the flattwists get fuzzy. But, the style still looks good. After two plus weeks of this style someone stopped me in St Louis (where I&#39;m at school) and asked who did my hair. I still have my hair in this style though I&#39;m about to take it down.

The only thing I didn&#39;t like was how she combed my hair while blow drying it straight (to trim the ends) but when I said something she adjusted the temperature. Also, next time I won&#39;t need my ends trimmed. Mische is a very kind lady and a good stylist but I am tempted to see what Daphne can do the next time I&#39;m in the H. (Would it be wrong to leave Mische for the legendary Daphne?)

pthizzle
08-28-2008, 02:44 AM
Mische is a very kind lady and a good stylist but I am tempted to see what Daphne can do the next time I&#39;m in the H. (Would it be wrong to leave Mische for the legendary Daphne?)
[/b]

ooh, i don&#39;t know about that. stylists get really offended when you switch up on them. but being that you&#39;ve only been to Mische once, maybe she&#39;ll understand. or maybe if you ask her is she does two strand twists, she say "No" and refer you to Daphne. but i would be careful, the last thing you want to do is get caught up in some beauty shop drama.

Be sure to let us know when you post those pic&#39;s. So they can see what we are talking about! YEAH!!!
[/b]

i&#39;ve been trying to take some pictures, but i keep getting all these weird shadows and angles in the pictures. (the agony of a new camera!!) i have to wait until i have some help. i should have some posted this weekend.

aosadiku
08-28-2008, 06:02 PM
I made an appointment at Zayd&#39;s Natural Hair Salon next week for 2 strand twists. Zayd&#39;s is located at 4806 Almeda Rd near to Reggae Hut. I am transitioning myself. I called Natural Resources but they were not taking new client for 2 strand twists at that time. I have heard good and bad reviews about Uncle Funky&#39;s Daughter.
Hope this helps.

YolieB
[/b]

So one day as I was at Rice Village shopping around at Sephora, I saw Uncle Funky&#39;s across the street. I decided to check them out. I looked at their opening hours on their transparent door and it said opening hours are from 11 am (i think...or whether it was 10). Looked at my watch and it was like a few minutes past 11. I saw someone inside and the door was unlocked. Opened the door and there was a bald female right there and then all of a sudden, i hear a female voice from the back. Whether she&#39;s the owner or whatever, I don&#39;t know. maynnneeeeeeeeeeee......the lady there is R I D I C U L O U S! :rolleyes: She was like "we&#39;re not open yet." Like the hell????!!! On my watch and cell phone, its past 11 o&#39;clock. So what are you talking about???? On top of that, there were like 2 or 3 people sitting there.

All I know is I won&#39;t ever go there again. :angry:

pthizzle
08-29-2008, 03:44 AM
^^your experience doesn&#39;t surprise me^^

a lot of folks have not had good experiences with one of the ladies who works there, i believe the wife portion of the husband and wife team who own the shop.

personally, if it wasn&#39;t for the exceptional hospitality and respect that Ray, the husband, has ALWAYS shown me, i wouldn&#39;t patronize the shop.

thanks for sharing! maybe it will echo back to her and she&#39;ll realize how much business she&#39;s running away with her STANK ATTITUDE!!

everynationgrl
08-29-2008, 06:53 PM
My friend, Nicole, came in town from Boston and got twists done by Daphne. They look great and I plan to get some in October. They are natural looking and she said they don&#39;t hurt at all. She was finished in about 4 hours and I was very impressed.

chinani
08-29-2008, 10:34 PM
ooh, i don&#39;t know about that. stylists get really offended when you switch up on them. but being that you&#39;ve only been to Mische once, maybe she&#39;ll understand. or maybe if you ask her is she does two strand twists, she say "No" and refer you to Daphne. but i would be careful, the last thing you want to do is get caught up in some beauty shop drama.
[/b]
Very true. Thanks for the reply.

bbklokp2
09-18-2008, 11:08 PM
there will alot of great tips in this thread. i have decided to set up an appt and consultation with Michelle at WALMART. She seems to be very nice and understanding. and hopefully can help in this transition period of mine. i will surely update!

NappyDst
09-22-2008, 08:21 PM
there will alot of great tips in this thread. i have decided to set up an appt and consultation with Michelle at WALMART. She seems to be very nice and understanding. and hopefully can help in this transition period of mine. i will surely update!
[/b]

Ok I am nervous now...I have an appointment next week with Haleemah "the bald girl" at Uncle Funky&#39;s...Everything I have read on the thread has been negative and YES they already ahve my deposit!!!!! Although I don&#39;t know how you call it a deposit when you have to pay for the entire style up front and IN CASH!!!!! I paid $95 for some flat twists up-front and twp strands in the back. What if I don&#39;t like it, what if she is horrible?? I also don&#39;t want any gel or unnatural products in my hair...I am losing my mind!!!!!

pthizzle
09-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Ok I am nervous now...I have an appointment next week with Haleemah "the bald girl" at Uncle Funky&#39;s...Everything I have read on the thread has been negative and YES they already ahve my deposit!!!!! Although I don&#39;t know how you call it a deposit when you have to pay for the entire style up front and IN CASH!!!!! I paid $95 for some flat twists up-front and twp strands in the back. What if I don&#39;t like it, what if she is horrible?? I also don&#39;t want any gel or unnatural products in my hair...I am losing my mind!!!!!
[/b]

i haven&#39;t heard anything bad about Haleemah, it&#39;s the uppity light skin hag that&#39;s the problem. i think it&#39;s effed up that they make you pay in advance. what ever happened to "payment upon services rendered"?? be sure to update us on your experience.

yrh11
09-28-2008, 01:14 PM
I go to Uncle Funky&#39;s to buy natural hair products. So I do not think they will put anything unnatural in your hair. I was contemplating making an appointment with Haleemah since I have seen some of her work, but not sure yet. Back to Natural Salon also requires you to put a deposit too. ..Is this a new trend?

NappyDST please post pics afterwards.

YolieB

Nappy Neck
09-28-2008, 06:41 PM
How did your visit go NappyDst?

ravenbell
09-28-2008, 10:55 PM
My friend, Nicole, came in town from Boston and got twists done by Daphne. They look great and I plan to get some in October. They are natural looking and she said they don&#39;t hurt at all. She was finished in about 4 hours and I was very impressed.
[/b]

Yeah for your friend! I gots to get my pennies together and get my hair done again.

Mische is a very kind lady and a good stylist but I am tempted to see what Daphne can do the next time I&#39;m in the H. (Would it be wrong to leave Mische for the legendary Daphne?)

Is Mische in the same shop? Hair Gallery by Dee? If they are in the same shop that might cause some drama. But that was a good suggestion.... to ask her (Missche)if she does double strands? She may say no and direct you to Daphne. If not I don&#39;t know chair hopping in the same shop is usually a no no.

Happynapp
10-02-2008, 01:36 AM
bssweetest109@yahoo.com

This stylist has pics that she will send you if you request
she is located in houston texas but i have not used her services yet but i will soon
peace
and happy natural hair stylist hunting
Zahra

nathlms
10-09-2008, 07:26 PM
[/b]
Wow. I really hate to hear that because I never had that experience with her. It almost makes me want to just wash my own every 3 days and throw it up in a puff :unsure: but not to the point of returning to the chemicals. I really liked her work as well as the hair she used. The hair that I&#39;ve had recently was very coarse and I&#39;m wondering if it&#39;s really natural or a combination of natural and synthetic fibers.

NappyDst
10-12-2008, 02:14 AM
How did your visit go NappyDst?
[/b]

Sorry for the delay....well due to Ike my appointment was postponed, but I ended up going last week. As I said before I went to Haleemah at Uncle Funky&#39;s and needless to say I am SUPER disappointed. The style was okay but it wasn&#39;t what I was expecting from a "PROFESSIONAL" stylist who charged me almost $100 dollars. First of all when I went to the consultation I told her what style I wanted (flat twist in front/ 2strands in back). She was in the midst of cleaning up or something so Tonya (the owner) did two practice twists in my hair, I guess to see the texture, and the consultation was over. Barely 5 minutes after a 30 minute drive. Then by the time my appointment came around (2 weeks later) she couldn&#39;t even remember what style I wanted, nor the picture I had showed her. Nonethless the style wasn&#39;t awful, it just looked like something one of my high school students could have done for me. I feel like she just twisted it to get it done and didnt bother to pay attention to my hair texture. She did then super tiny and I looked like I was about 12....The twist only lasted a week and a half before I didnt like the way they were looking. I took them out this morning and to my horror, they were so knotted that I cant even wear a twist out. I will NEVER go there again. A complete waste of $100 dollars. :angry:

chinani
10-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Wow, I&#39;m really sorry to hear that NappyDST. Back before I swore off Uncle Funky&#39;s I use to chat with Haleemah (Tonya the rude owner always did my hair) and she seemed really nice. I hate to hear about money wasted... but $95? I almost 100% that Zayd&#39;s does that style for $60.

I go to Uncle Funky&#39;s to buy natural hair products. So I do not think they will put anything unnatural in your hair. I was contemplating making an appointment with Haleemah since I have seen some of her work, but not sure yet. Back to Natural Salon also requires you to put a deposit too. ..Is this a new trend?
[/b]I think UncFunk does it in an attempt to me like Back to Natural. I guess if you want upscale clients you have to make certain demands. But, pay in full? Really?

Is Mische in the same shop? Hair Gallery by Dee? If they are in the same shop that might cause some drama. But that was a good suggestion.... to ask her (Missche)if she does double strands? She may say no and direct you to Daphne. If not I don&#39;t know chair hopping in the same shop is usually a no no.
[/b]
I hear you sisters... no chair hopping... I feel tacky for having asked...!

Nappy Neck
10-13-2008, 06:32 PM
NappyDst, I&#39;m sorry you weren&#39;t happy with your service.

NappyDst
10-20-2008, 04:43 AM
NappyDst, I&#39;m sorry you weren&#39;t happy with your service.
[/b]

Thanks....I think I will try Michele at the Walmart next..I have heard alot of positive things about her and when I met her she seemed pretty cool....In the mean time I will have to make the drive to my sister in S.A. and get her to trim me up....

Suthernhunny13
10-26-2008, 09:40 PM
[color=#006600] I went to Zayd&#39;s yesterday and got some 2 strand twists done by Tammy. Love them, they came out really great and it only took her 2 hours to twist all this big bush that I have! (they&#39;re about pencil-size) She was very pleasant and it was a pretty peaceful environment. The one complaint I have is that the owner was kinda rude when I walked in. When booking the appointment over the phone only 1.5 hours before arriving, I didn&#39;t realize that the person I was speaking with on the phone would be my stylist. So when asked who my appointment was with and my responding I wasn&#39;t sure... I was told "Well you gone hafta think about it!" in a very rude tone and then she walked off... I&#39;ll be returning because I like Tammy&#39;s work but Shawna needs to work on her attitude towards first-time customers...

parmender
11-18-2008, 02:42 AM
Hello everyone, my name is Angel, and i will be relocating to Houston shortly. I am a natural hair stylist from Detroit, I have been training and doing natural hair since i was 14. I specialize in locs and natural 2 strand twist ( no extension, sorry :-( . I will be trying to put together a clientle in Houston, as I would like to continue doing hair fulltime. If you are looking for a natural hair stylist in the are feel free to email me : Parmender06@yahoo.com or pm me. My portfolio is avliable upon request. I hope to hear from you soon!

blesdchile
12-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Can anyone give some recommendations of good natural hair care salons in Fort Bend county? My daughter is 1 year plus without a chemical fire cream and she doesn&#39;t want to go back but finds transitioning hard. I&#39;ve read some of the recommendations but I am concerned that since some of them are a distance away, I may not be able to commit to going as often as she needs. :unsure:

ravenbell
12-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Can anyone give some recommendations of good natural hair care salons in Fort Bend county? My daughter is 1 year plus without a chemical fire cream and she doesn&#39;t want to go back but finds transitioning hard. I&#39;ve read some of the recommendations but I am concerned that since some of them are a distance away, I may not be able to commit to going as often as she needs. :unsure:
[/b]

What kind of look does she want? PM me so we can talk about it.

steffiejoe
12-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Prensetta at The Root of You does an excellent job with rod sets, starter locs,transition styles, natural 2 strand twist,loc maintenances and natural hair color using all natural product lines such as Chi by Farouk and Aveda.

LaRuth at The Root of You does a terrific job with natural braids and natural 2 strand twist

U can go to www.therootofyou.com for more info- they have 3 people that work with natural hair and these Ive been to all three but these 2 are the least expensive and the most consistent
[/b]

Laruth is very good at natural braids and natural 2 stand twist, but don&#39;t let her do freestyle braids with hair added. She did my hair and the next day the braids were to coming out. They ended up refunding my money. They are pricey.

Deborah is another good stylist in the shop, she blow dryed and pressed my hair after I did my big chop.

steffiejoe
12-10-2008, 06:01 PM
i&#39;ve been trying to take some pictures, but i keep getting all these weird shadows and angles in the pictures. (the agony of a new camera!!) i have to wait until i have some help. i should have some posted this weekend.
[/b]

After reading the positive posts about Daphne&#39;s two strand twists, I went and let her do my hair.

Positive:
There was no wait and it only took her 4 hours to complete them .
The twists did not hurt and my head was not sore.
She styled it cute and the hair is very soft.

Negative:
When I scheduled the appointment she insisted on purchasing the hair herself and ended up running out of the #2 hair. She used #4 and then tryed to talk me into mixing the top with some highlighted colors. Don&#39;t get me wrong I do like color sometimes, but did not want color this time. She was really persistant about adding the color and I had to decline several times.
The next day some of the twists started to slide off; I have redone about 7 of them

Would I go back ? For the price $150.00 , I&#39;m not sure. I kinda feel like she over charged me.

pthizzle
12-17-2008, 08:04 PM
She was really persistant about adding the color and I had to decline several times.
The next day some of the twists started to slide off; I have redone about 7 of them

Would I go back ? For the price $150.00 , I&#39;m not sure. I kinda feel like she over charged me.
[/b]

i&#39;m sorry you had a bad experience. :(

the issue about the color sucks. she ran out of hair when she did my twists and ended up having to run out to get some more. and i&#39;m sure she would have replaced those that slipped out. i would if i wanted to continue to build a good reputation for myself.

her pricing wasn&#39;t bad to me. i have paid $150+hair in the past.

thanks for sharing your experience.

dare2bnappy
12-21-2008, 11:25 AM
**bumpity-bump**

Thanks for all the help ladies!!!
I am going to give Michelle at Walmart a call, that locatiion is RIGHT around the corner from me.
I would like to know if you ladies know of anyone that does &#39;TREE BRAIDS"...I am really wanting these braids within the next week or so...
Thanks in advance!

Nappy Neck
12-25-2008, 07:54 PM
I&#39;m sorry ppl had bad experiences at Uncle Funky&#39;s. Me and my daughter are regular customers there and our experiences have been nothing but good. In my avatar is a pic of some of Haleemah&#39;s work. I&#39;ve been styled by both Tonya and Haleemah and I love their work.

I know some ppl have said that Tonya isn&#39;t very nice but she really is very sweet.

Ray is a sweetheart too.

They love my daughter. lol

As for Uncle Funky&#39;s policy on paying upfront for your services basically that is to keep ppl from cancelling and to keep ppl from just plain not showing up. I understand that the stylists count on that money and block off a certain amount of time to render services and if someone doesn&#39;t show up they lose that money. Because of the time that&#39;s required it&#39;s not like they can just call someone else up and say Hey can you come in now. I was put off by the policy initially but I understand and respect why they have that policy in place.

It&#39;s also important to note that once you&#39;ve established yourself as a regular customer they may not require you to do that anymore. My daughter and I aren&#39;t required to do that anymore. HTH

NappyDst
01-02-2009, 04:11 AM
**bumpity-bump**
Thanks for all the help ladies!!!
I am going to give Michelle at Walmart a call, that locatiion is RIGHT around the corner from me.
I would like to know if you ladies know of anyone that does &#39;TREE BRAIDS"...I am really wanting these braids within the next week or so...
Thanks in advance!
[/b]

How was your visit to Michelle??

malika1819
01-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Does anyone know of any GOOD Natural Hair Salons in Houston, TX? I&#39;m transitioning and my friends and i are desperatly looking for a GOOD place to go to for our hair. If not a place maybe a person. Pictures of work would be nice you have any. :)
[/b]

(HOUSTON) SWEET MOBILE DREADS (HOUSTON)

I Come To You! Or You Come To Me!

Palm Roll, Interlock, Sisterlocs, Brotherlocs, Two-Strand Twist (No Extensions), Repair, Reconstruction, Coloring, Trim, and style.

Student Discounts!

By Appointment Only
Phone: 214-458-5229
YES I&#39;M IN HOUSTON!

Patrina
01-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Hello All,

It has been a while since I have posted but I wanted to get the word out that I am back in the salon after being on maternity leave. I have decided to do natural hair full-time so I am available. It is by appt only for now. I take appointments for Thurs, Fri, and Sat.

I enjoy doing natural hair and realize that folks need to be able to go to someone to care for their hair without worrying about their pocketbook. I use, make and sell natural products. I have a shea-butter based hair pomade along with a moisture spray. I look forward to assisting anyone with their natural hair care needs. God Bless!!

Blessings,

Patrina
NaturalReign

FoxyLox
01-07-2009, 04:37 PM
If anybody knows of a natural salon that offers henna treatments, please let a sistah know. I don&#39;t want to do it myself because it can get messy.

Also, anyone who does henna treatments on themselves, would you consider applying it for me? Please pm me. Thanks!

NappyDst
02-02-2009, 05:32 AM
Anyone know a good braider? I am thinking about getting some micros for a couple of months....Also I went to Michelle at the Kirkwood Wal-Mart for a deep condish..loved the way my hair felt afterwards, she fingercombed and was very gentle. I may try her for a style next.....

pthizzle
02-06-2009, 12:12 AM
hi ladies, here&#39;s my review of The Root of You Salon:

*nice atmosphere - i usually go in the evening, during the week
*my stylist, Deborah - she&#39;s really nice and professional
*kinda pricey - but i&#39;ll pay for the convenience of not sitting in a salon all day long
*my hair - is always banging!!

overall, i like it! it&#39;s a nice salon, the staff, the stylists and the clientele are nice. and i always leave satisfied!!

kutemommie
02-07-2009, 05:47 PM
I might have to give The Root Of You a try.

NappyDst
02-07-2009, 05:51 PM

*kinda pricey - but i&#39;ll pay for the convenience of not sitting in a salon all day long

overall, i like it! it&#39;s a nice salon, the staff, the stylists and the clientele are nice. and i always leave satisfied!!
[/b]

pics pls tx made

AutumnBeauty
02-16-2009, 07:30 PM
I&#39;m on the prowl for a good stylist now, that can do extensions as well as help care for the overall health of my hair. When I first did BC I called around to a few shops until I found one that had an opening.

I first called Uncle Funky&#39;s Daughter, and I admit I was drawn in to the attractive website and uber funk appeal but within three seconds of the call I was turned off. I&#39;m a very cool person, but the lady who answered rubbed me the wrong way. I told her I wanted "two strand twists with extensions", I was asked what kind of hair I had. Umm :icon_twak: this is supposed to be a natural salon so it shouldn&#39;t matter. I thanked her for her time and hung up.

I next tried Natural Resources because I heard their atmosphere was really friendly and relaxing. When the lady answered the phone, she was very pleasant and I explained to her the style I wanted. The next words out of her mouth were "You can go to our webpage and sign the waiting list." I said, "Ok, and exactly how long is the wait for an appointment." The nice lady said "6-9 months" :brickwall: No, maam so we thanked each other and got off the phone.

My next call was to Strictly Roots in 3rd ward. Jahmeela answered the phone and was realyl nice, I explained the style I wanted and she wanted to meet me that day to have a consultation, so I met with her after work. We booked an appointment for the next Monday at 4 pm at her shop, and I was told I could purchase the hair from her...GREAT!
So she calls me that Thursday and asks me if I wanted to come to her house on Sunday because Monday at 4 would be too late (too late for her kids to be entertained at the shop), I said fine. I took down the directions and prepared to get my hair done on Sunday at 12. Sunday I am driving to her house and she calls my cell phone and says "sorry I can&#39;t do your hair today because my dining room table is supposed to be delivered and... :boohoo:" I said "fine, we&#39;ll make it for TOMORROW at 4, right?" I get to her shop at 3:45 and I honestly wait for 2 hours. When she pulls up, she explains she has to go pick her daughter up from school, then go get them something to eat THEN we need to go to her house to do my hair because it&#39;s easier to keep them entertained. By now I&#39;m just ready to get my hair done and good riddens. She didn&#39;t get started on my hair UNTIL 7pm... ate food, talked on the phone, and on the twists she was tired, she pixie braided the rest. I was thoroughly disappointed and won&#39;t be going back..not worth the $175 :angry:

pthizzle
02-17-2009, 01:29 PM
^^ick!! that really sucks!^^

stacy
02-19-2009, 07:22 PM
for those that used michelle (who was at walmart and was recommended earlier in the thread) does she blowdry your hair before cutting it? does she cut wet or dry? someone mentioned that she is also natural...what does her hair look like? just curious.

kutemommie
02-20-2009, 01:04 PM
I&#39;m on the prowl for a good stylist now, that can do extensions as well as help care for the overall health of my hair. When I first did BC I called around to a few shops until I found one that had an opening.

I first called Uncle Funky&#39;s Daughter, and I admit I was drawn in to the attractive website and uber funk appeal but within three seconds of the call I was turned off. I&#39;m a very cool person, but the lady who answered rubbed me the wrong way. I told her I wanted "two strand twists with extensions", I was asked what kind of hair I had. Umm :icon_twak: this is supposed to be a natural salon so it shouldn&#39;t matter. I thanked her for her time and hung up.

I next tried Natural Resources because I heard their atmosphere was really friendly and relaxing. When the lady answered the phone, she was very pleasant and I explained to her the style I wanted. The next words out of her mouth were "You can go to our webpage and sign the waiting list." I said, "Ok, and exactly how long is the wait for an appointment." The nice lady said "6-9 months" :brickwall: No, maam so we thanked each other and got off the phone.

My next call was to Strictly Roots in 3rd ward. Jahmeela answered the phone and was realyl nice, I explained the style I wanted and she wanted to meet me that day to have a consultation, so I met with her after work. We booked an appointment for the next Monday at 4 pm at her shop, and I was told I could purchase the hair from her...GREAT!
So she calls me that Thursday and asks me if I wanted to come to her house on Sunday because Monday at 4 would be too late (too late for her kids to be entertained at the shop), I said fine. I took down the directions and prepared to get my hair done on Sunday at 12. Sunday I am driving to her house and she calls my cell phone and says "sorry I can&#39;t do your hair today because my dining room table is supposed to be delivered and... :boohoo:" I said "fine, we&#39;ll make it for TOMORROW at 4, right?" I get to her shop at 3:45 and I honestly wait for 2 hours. When she pulls up, she explains she has to go pick her daughter up from school, then go get them something to eat THEN we need to go to her house to do my hair because it&#39;s easier to keep them entertained. By now I&#39;m just ready to get my hair done and good riddens. She didn&#39;t get started on my hair UNTIL 7pm... ate food, talked on the phone, and on the twists she was tired, she pixie braided the rest. I was thoroughly disappointed and won&#39;t be going back..not worth the $175 :angry:
[/b]

Wow....I&#39;m sorry you had to go through all of that. I usually go to Natural Resources but as a regular customer it still took me almost 6 months to get in. If I wanted a hairstyle or just wanted to be serviced in two weeks I couldn&#39;t get it which is sort of a pain. I&#39;m now looking for somewhere else to go for those in between times that I just want someone else to pamper me.

afrobeauty77
02-22-2009, 01:58 PM
I have been to Natural Resources a couple of times but like Kutemommie stated the wait to get a seat in there is no joke. I definitely want to find someone to give me an overall trim, and give my oldest daughter some individual braids.

Ash2005
02-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Okay ladies, I am in a wedding on March 21st and I wanted to get a flexi-rod set completed. It seems that Natural Resources is one of the best salons, but as you all say, you can&#39;t get an appointment, so does anyone else have an advice as to where I can get a flexi-rod set?

racwill
02-23-2009, 12:55 AM

[/b]

:) I&#39;m so glad to read your post. I will be trying out The Root of You Salon on Tuesday. The mixed reviews have made me a bit leary. What did you have done to your hair? I am looking to get my hair straightened and a trimmed. I hope the results are as positive as yours.

stacy
02-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Ash2005 have you considered doing your own hair? that might be your best bet. i did a roller set on my hair and got tons of compliments. if you play around now you will be able to do it yourself by the wedding time.

http://public.fotki.com/luvmerlot/

ALSO, can anyway tell me does michelle cut hair wet or blowdried?

thanks!

stacy
03-04-2009, 04:15 PM
for those that used michelle (who was at walmart and was recommended earlier in the thread) does she blowdry your hair before cutting it? does she cut wet or dry? someone mentioned that she is also natural...what does her hair look like? just curious.
[/b]

can anyone answer about michelle? does she blowdry before cutting?

nappyishappy
03-10-2009, 03:18 AM
BUMP!

stacy
03-11-2009, 03:12 PM
not a lot of new replies here....

i did go in and talk to michelle myself. she is nice. she had in braids but someonee said she is natural. i wanted to meet her in person and talk to her before she actually did my hair. we talked about my hair type, how she would cut it (i told her i never straighten so i didn&#39;t want it straightened prior to cutting). she said she could cut it either way. we decided that i wouldn&#39;t get it cut into a style because that might be limiting but she would do a good all over trim. she asked what i do to my hair before bed. i said "uh..." lol. the only thing we didn&#39;t discuss is what kind of products she uses. honestly i&#39;m thinking of taking my own just in case. at any rate, i go to her next thurs for my hair cut.

AutumnBeauty
03-11-2009, 05:37 PM
^^ick!! that really sucks!^^
[/b]

Yes it did... I just don&#39;t have time (nor do I feel like waiting) for 6 months for an appointment.

For those of you who go to Michelle at Walmart-which Walmart? I would like to give her a try in a few months.

stacy
03-12-2009, 05:19 PM
michelle is in a salon in the galleria called Versatile Beauty Center & Salon 713 840 9955

artistnexile
03-13-2009, 11:26 PM
I go to Natural Resources on Labranch and both hair stylists are great. Monique is the loctician and does a great job on my locs every month. She is also fast and very professional. The atmosphere is relaxing and you can always expect the best service for your money. Tamika is the other stylist and she specialize in loose natural hair styles and weaving. They have a line of products that are top rate called "Earth&#39;s Nectar." I would highly recommend them if you are looking for professionalism.

chinani
03-22-2009, 04:23 PM
I&#39;m thinking about going to Natural Resources for my 26th b-day. I&#39;m 24 now, so...

[/b] :o Wow, you are a trooper.

pthizzle
03-23-2009, 06:08 PM
I&#39;m thinking about going to Natural Resources for my 26th b-day. I&#39;m 24 now, so...
[/b]

:lol: good luck with that!! :lol:

NappyDst
04-07-2009, 06:11 PM
not a lot of new replies here....

i did go in and talk to michelle myself. she is nice. she had in braids but someonee said she is natural. i wanted to meet her in person and talk to her before she actually did my hair. we talked about my hair type, how she would cut it (i told her i never straighten so i didn&#39;t want it straightened prior to cutting). she said she could cut it either way. we decided that i wouldn&#39;t get it cut into a style because that might be limiting but she would do a good all over trim. she asked what i do to my hair before bed. i said "uh..." lol. the only thing we didn&#39;t discuss is what kind of products she uses. honestly i&#39;m thinking of taking my own just in case. at any rate, i go to her next thurs for my hair cut.
[/b]

How did the cut go?? Did you like her service??

Anyone have any updates?

sharihaynes
04-19-2009, 12:30 AM
I had an appointment with Michelle about two months ago and I had an outstanding experience.

1-She is no longer at Walmart, she is now at Versatile Salon in the Galleria Mall. (Above Fox&#39;s Sports Grill)

I got two strand twists, a good wash, deep condition and a much needed trim, all for $60!! (And I have a lot of hair, stretched, past my bra strap) I couldn&#39;t believe the quality of work for such a small price.

She is extremely informative when it comes to hair. I will definitely be going back.

Highly Recommended!! :wub:

Name: Michelle
Phone Number: 713-261-2110

NappyDst
04-20-2009, 01:09 AM
I had an appointment with Michelle about two months ago and I had an outstanding experience.

1-She is no longer at Walmart, she is now at Versatile Salon in the Galleria Mall. (Above Fox&#39;s Sports Grill)

I got two strand twists, a good wash, deep condition and a much needed trim, all for $60!! (And I have a lot of hair, stretched, past my bra strap) I couldn&#39;t believe the quality of work for such a small price.

She is extremely informative when it comes to hair. I will definitely be going back.

Highly Recommended!! :wub:

Name: Michelle
Phone Number: 713-261-2110
[/b]

Awesome I like her service too...haven&#39;t ventured to let her style me, but I will soon...

Dree25
04-26-2009, 02:05 AM

[/b]

That is too too crazy what you said about Jahmeela at Strictly Roots cause man the EXACT same thing happened to me with her. She will reschedule ALL WEEK LONG...then make u wait outside her ragged little shop, eat her food, talk on the phone, get tired and pixie the rest of your head....damn!!!! Exactly what I went thru. That chick should be avoided for real!!!!!!!!
Another thing about Jahmeela, she is supposed to be natural but keeps weave in her hair and will tell you flat out that she likes having hair on her head....made no sense. I have never gone back to her even though after that time she did my hair she just kept calling and calling and told me she would do me a style on the house....I just told her no Jahmeela that is ok but thanks for taking the time to do the style you do. I never went back and would recommend ppl not to go to her AT ALL.

meka15
05-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Awesome I like her service too...haven&#39;t ventured to let her style me, but I will soon...
[/b]

I went to Michelle and I like everything except the fact that she puts brown gel on the twist. So once my twist dried up, they are all hard and stiff

LeshaG
05-20-2009, 12:55 AM
I went to Shawna at Zayds and I really liked her service. Didn&#39;t like the wait though.

AutumnBeauty
06-03-2009, 06:05 PM
That is too too crazy what you said about Jahmeela at Strictly Roots cause man the EXACT same thing happened to me with her. She will reschedule ALL WEEK LONG...then make u wait outside her ragged little shop, eat her food, talk on the phone, get tired and pixie the rest of your head....damn!!!! Exactly what I went thru. That chick should be avoided for real!!!!!!!!
Another thing about Jahmeela, she is supposed to be natural but keeps weave in her hair and will tell you flat out that she likes having hair on her head....made no sense. I have never gone back to her even though after that time she did my hair she just kept calling and calling and told me she would do me a style on the house....I just told her no Jahmeela that is ok but thanks for taking the time to do the style you do. I never went back and would recommend ppl not to go to her AT ALL.
[/b]

Girl that is a shame. My friend just BC and wanted a referral and I told her definitely who NOT to go to. That is something I never want to experience again. Jahmeela is going to end up loosing business if her professionalism doesn&#39;t pick up.

I&#39;m thinking about making an appointment with Natural Resources for the beginning of school in August..hoping that if I make an appt now they will have space available and I can become a client :blush:

chinani
09-12-2009, 11:52 AM
bump

Omalicha
09-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Hello All,
This thread is over a year old, but I wanted to see if anyone had any updates on salons, stylists, and experiences.
I have been wearing wave for years, and ready to wear my own hair out. I would like someone to give my hair TLC because it will need it.

Thanks all!

yrh11
09-20-2010, 01:18 AM
I really like Malaika at The Way of Life Salon. It is off 610 and Kirby. She used to work at Zayd's but is no longer there. Haleemah from Uncle Funky's Daughter is in the same salon space. Malaika is very creative with her styles and has great customer service. Hope this helps.

Omalicha
10-02-2010, 03:06 PM
I really like Malaika at The Way of Life Salon. It is off 610 and Kirby. She used to work at Zayd's but is no longer there. Haleemah from Uncle Funky's Daughter is in the same salon space. Malaika is very creative with her styles and has great customer service. Hope this helps.

Hello!
Thank you for your suggestion. I cannot find info for the "Way of Life Salon". Can you please provide a number?

'Preciate ya!

yrh11
10-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Their number is 832-NATURAL
Address: 8900 Kirby Suite 290F

NappyDst
12-02-2010, 04:21 AM
I'm a regular at Natural Resources. They just moved to a new location in Rice Village. 5315 Morningside. Tamika is my stylist and she is super professional and caring. I won't go anywhere else. It's pricey, but well worth it. She has more chairs now, and a few more stylist, so if you haven't been able to get an appointment, you should be able to get one now.

Im in a protective style for the next 3 months (latch stitch weave) but no one can tell it isn't mine.

I highly recommend her. If you are loc'ed Monique is awesome as well.