PDA

View Full Version : In College with Locs

ChicagoSoul
02-26-2004, 08:22 AM
hey everyone, i am new to the site and i have had locs for three years. But i have some problems maintaining them. I go to a college that is three hours away from chicago, so there no ethnic haircare shops anywhere (Walmart sells some black stuff).

My locs are always very dry. Is there anything that i can put on my hair to keep it moisturized? I do live in Chicago, so i can go home sometimes and get some stuff. Please help me yall

FreedomPlease
02-26-2004, 01:34 PM
I really don't know what to suggest...but I would start with the shampoo that you use. I know for me I spritz my hair twice daily, shampoo about once a week...with a moisturizing shampoo. I also take hair vitamins.

Most of the stuff that I use I purchase from Walmart, except my EO's.

This may not be much help but it could be a start... :)

CocoPuffs
02-26-2004, 03:16 PM
I'm not in the Chicago area but I can relate I go to school in a rural part of Mississippi and the nearest large city is like an hour away. I maintain my own locs and most everything i use I buy from walmart all of the other stuff(oils, glycerine and stuff that you would get at a health store) I have my mother buy at home(I'm from Minnesota) and send to me.

My locs tend to be dry too the only help i can offer is spritzing them with water daily I spritz mine every time I return to my dorm room(I should probably start carrying around a water bottle) and Drinking lots of water.

hope this helps

quiet-locs
02-26-2004, 08:16 PM
I attend college in north Alabama and there is not many salon to choose from. The last person twisted my hair moved to a different city; that was back in October 2003. Since then I have been doing my own hair.

First I wash with doo-gro shampoo

Second I use a lint free towel to semi-dry my hair

Next I twist my hair from the root with a very tiny comb pulling the fuzz and new growth into the loc, I have the yellow bee's wax on the top part on my hand to keep it soft so that i will not just lump the wax up in my hair, I then apply the wax to the whole loc, and then apply a hair clip

Last I sit under a dryer until my hair is all the way dry

The whole thing take about 3 hours. My hair is about 5 1/2 inches long and I have been locking since May 2003 :blah

FreshStart
02-27-2004, 01:53 AM
Hey ChicagoSoul. My locs will be 3yrs old in July and I've always maintained them. My routine is pretty simple. I've never needed anything that the 'ethnic' hair care shops sell. The only products I use are castille soap, oils (carrier & EOs), Fruit of the Earth aloe gel, African Royale Hot Six oil (for hot oil treatments), and tea (chamomille & nettle)...and Wal-Mart sells most of that.

Here's a link to a recent thread on moisturizing locs:

moisturizing locs (http://www.nappturality.com/modules/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=21616)

If your locs are chronically dry you might have to deal with some underlying problem first, like product buildup if you've got it. Just something to think about.

I agree with FreedomPlease on the shampoo. When I tried a few shampoos at the beginning I found that most of them stripped my hair of moisture. The only one that didn't was the castille soap, so I stuck with that.

You can do a search and find other threads about moisturizing your locs. If the search feature is still down, check out naani.com for some helpfull articles. The site's a little difficult to navigate though.

Naani website (http://naani.com)

nottyfreedom
02-27-2004, 05:38 AM
for moisturizing try olive oil and water. take hot showers in the morning and steam your hair (not wt necessarily)- then put the olive oil in it and thru it. i do this often and my hair loves it. i also use dr. bronners shampoo or dark and lovely peppermint and it is not known to be a moisturizing shampoo but with the steam and o oil i have no problems.

notty

ChocolatChaud
02-27-2004, 12:12 PM
I started my locks in college and luckily I had a salon nearby that got me started. But then I did my junior year in Paris... :shock So I had to learn the summer before my departure how to twist them and take care of them myself. Being dependant on a beautician is not fun. Try to learn how to maintain them yourself. It's yet another step towards liberation. :thumbsup
ETA: Towards the end of my time abroad I actually stopped twisting altogether, but that's another story...

paulicia
02-28-2004, 12:54 AM
I feel you because I'm stuck out here in Kansas where they look at you crazy just for going into a grocery store and asking where the live crab tanks are. I have to drive 30 minutes out of town to buy decent barrettes for my girls- not the flimsy kind that won't snap onto thick napptural twists and braids.
Anyway, w/ the advice of my fellow nappturals on this site, I've busted out the credit card and discovered the joys of cyber shopping for my products. Other than that, the health food and drug stores usually have what I need.

I'm still trying to find some crab that isn't already dead and frozen. Whole, and not just the legs.

nottyfreedom
02-28-2004, 04:52 AM
lol...you go to school in kansas! and i thought i was taking a major leap in montgomery. lol.

notty