PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone taken locs down before?

Tashmaxx
02-27-2004, 01:53 AM
:doh Although I have loved my journey thus far, I have decided to take down my 8 month old locs and I am interested in any information anyone has who may have made the same decision. I started my loc journey only 3 months after going natural and never had the chance to experience wearing the beautiful afro puffs, cornrows, and other natural hairstyles I see everyone so elegantly wearing, so in order to experience that I am determined to take my locs down. Actually, I have already began doing so with a quilting needle. So far so good, but I would love any advice anyone has to give on preventing as much damage as possible. My hair is not tightly coiled. It is more wiry I think than anything, but a majority of my locs have started to loc, so taking them down has been slow. Again anyone's story or info on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance & LOL. :bis

teekydawg
02-27-2004, 02:00 AM
honeychild took her fully mature locs out. she has info about it in her album.

dewdrop
02-27-2004, 02:39 AM
I took mine out too, twice, but what I did was use water and conditioner, and picked it out from the ends upward w/ the point of a paper clip.

What kind of locs do you have?

nottyfreedom
02-27-2004, 04:26 AM
i took mine out also. i just washed them and conditioned them and took a very very fine ACE comb (any other willllll break lol) and took em out. they were very short at the time so it only took me a night. good luck and enjoy every bit of your nappiness sis. i had to do the same thing and now that im locking for the second time i am more at peace with my decision.

notty

flynppy
02-27-2004, 11:37 AM
I took down my 3 yr old locs using water, conditioner and oil. and a pushpin, and sharp pointy tweezers.

I believe I have some pictures in my album.

All I can say is be gentle and take it easy with your hai. Yours shouldn't be so bad because your locs are relatively young.

Good Luck!!!!! :) :thumbsup

tugi
03-26-2004, 03:55 AM
My mother took her locs after about a year I think. She used a product called ,"Take Down". She only took them out to start locing again,and she is in the process of taking them out for the third time. She'll probably wear a twa for awile then loc again.

cateyesmd
03-26-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by tugi@Mar 26 2004, 12:55 AM
My mother took her locs after about a year I think. She used a product called ,"Take Down". She only took them out to start locing again,and she is in the process of taking them out for the third time. She'll probably wear a twa for awile then loc again.
Why does your mother keep taking her locs down (if you don't mind my asking)?

flybutter
03-26-2004, 07:07 PM
I've yet to even consider taking mine down (2 + yrs). But never say never. One friend locked for other than herself and was trying to take hers down and taking out much of her hair. So, sorry I have no idea on how to help. My friend ended up letting it grow out then cutting.

But have same question as catseyemd: why do some people (like tugi's Mom) keep taking them out then putting in? Not judging just curious. :cen

QueenLocks
03-26-2004, 08:48 PM
Like Dewdrop, I started at the tip/end with a small toothed comb and worked my way up! [It took 40 minutes to take one down!] I took down 7 [within a period of 5 months! not at once].
here is a link with a picture of them:
http://public.fotki.com/brownsuggadiva/atl...8_get_together/ (http://public.fotki.com/brownsuggadiva/atl_gatherings/228_get_together/)

NO, I plan to keep my locs, and not take anymore down. :pop

splendidlox
03-27-2004, 04:32 AM
Just finished taking my son's locs (2nd set) down tonight. I used a pick and conditioner - took about 3 hours for him since he has only been locking this time around for a couple of months.

For some reason he swears his girlfriends at school like him better wih his afro - by the way he's only 6!

exhort
03-27-2004, 02:35 PM
:pop This is interesting didn't know there was an alternative to cutting.

MzNGINEAR
03-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by exhort@Mar 27 2004, 10:35 AM
:pop This is interesting didn't know there was an alternative to cutting.
I thought the only way to take down locs...was :cen

I might actually try locing now :)