PDA

View Full Version : decided to go natural, but...

stwdarkday
02-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Hello, I'm new to the forum! :app
I just moved to a small island in Alaska and I'm in the military. I have had my hair relaxed since I was 11. Just the few hair salons here don't work with black hair, so I'm really thinking of going natural. The only problem is since I'm in the military I can't have bulky hair. I don't want to cut off all my (relaxed) hair, at lease not yet. Right now I just wash and condition it then use a leave in conditioner all Infusium 23 products and just keep it in a bun. Is that going to be healthy? Is that the only hair style I can have with out bulk? What good hair care product can I use? Does anyone have any good ideas? Please help

Maya :violin

AKAHLF
02-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Welcome to the board, Maya! :d)

Alaska, huh?! Wow! As far as your questions, the only advice I have for you is to browse through the website - look at the commercial and homemade hair products forum and look at the albums for hairstyling and product tips. There are a few sisters on this board who are in the military (I can't think of their names).

Good luck to you!

:rainfro

megonw
02-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by stwdarkday@Feb 29 2004, 02:47 PM
Right now I just wash and condition it then use a leave in conditioner all Infusium 23 products and just keep it in a bun. Is that going to be healthy? Is that the only hair style I can have with out bulk? What good hair care product can I use?
The bun is an awesome, minimalist, low-bulk style. I do a braided bun with vaseline on the relaxed ends. :) Here are some products to reduce the helmet-head effect of a bun with new growth under the relaxed hair.

As your new growth comes in, wash and deep condition it with L'Anza Strait Line shampoo and conditioner to stretch it out. (Use a bonnet dryer if you've got one.)

Sta-Sof-Fro will moisturize both textures. It's a great leave-in. Dilute it with water if it feels too sticky.

A conditioner with shea butter will also soften and moisturize. I like ION anti-frizz straightening conditioner.

Why not just keep bunning during your stint in Alaska? I dunno how long you are stationed there, but you could wait til you're back in civilization to make yourself over. :rainfro

stwdarkday
03-01-2004, 12:25 AM
thanks for the info, I'm stationed here for 2 years, shouldn't be that bad right, lol, anyway, I'm definatly going to try those products, it's not to bulky now, but It will be, thanks again.

LovelyLady
03-01-2004, 05:12 AM
Stay-Sof-Fro is the bomb! I used it for the first time recently and I loved the softness of my hair. I'm all natural now and had been using only Shea Butter for softness, which works great too, by the way.

I remember someone on the board named Sweat Pea?? or Sweetcake who is in the military and transitioning. I'm sorry that I can't remember her exact handle. I'll try to look it up to see if I can find it. I think it was Sweetcake, though.

babygurl
03-01-2004, 07:14 PM
I don't know if you know how to do them, but flat twist worked great for me when I transitioned... You can do them in the front you know going into your bun...that will give you a different look....

I like Shine... but it can be a bit greasy.....if you don't want to use a lot of products, try just tieing your hair down after you wash ( I do this at night and in the morning it is nice a flat....

ulovenae
03-02-2004, 06:03 AM
there is a post in the Natural hair forum (the 1st forum) about natural hair in the military. You might want to read that thread.

muchfaith
03-02-2004, 10:30 AM
:app :app CONGRATS :app :app

I am also in the military so I know your pain. You can have various hair styles as long as they are within regs. Which Branch are you in.
Air Force has it easy so there is nothing to chat about .... :duck

I am Navy and as long as your hair is neat and doesnt touch your collar then they shouldn't have anything to say to you .
Just pull out that regulation .

The bun well you can try cornrolls and roller sets ! Put some twist in the front and roller set the back !

Little black rubber bands will become your friend in the military !

Experienment !

Have fun and let me know !

stwdarkday
03-03-2004, 03:34 PM
thanks ulovenae, I'll check, out that forum, muchfaith, I'm in the Coast Guard. I might try the roller sets, I don't have much practice on doing my hair. I had a big talk with my master chief about getting braids, He still applys to the old regs where you can only have one braid in you hair, lol, I'm trying to look for the new regs that came out that allow more than one. Its out there, I just gotta find it. And yes black rubber bands are my fav!!

2Blessed
03-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Hi, STWDARKDAY.
http://www.uscg.mil/ccs/cit/cim/directives...CIM_1020_6E.pdf (http://www.uscg.mil/ccs/cit/cim/directives/CIM/CIM_1020_6E.pdf)
I had to make an effort to help you in some way. The link above is something I found on the net. Please check it out... make sure its updated, although I think it is. I was Army so I know the insenitivity the military has toward the Black female's hair. If you are interested in braids, from what I read, there is something for you within regs (only they refer to as cornrows).

I wish you the best!

sweetcake
03-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Hi! I'm in the military as well, Air Force. I ususally wear my hair in a spiral set, straw set, cornrows, braids, kinky twist extensions. You can do it all as long as it isn't pass your collar or more that 3 inches in bulk from the scalp. Just make sure to keep your hair moisturized and conditioned. If you have braids all you have to do is put them in a nice neat bun and you will be in regs. Good luck. If you need anymore advice just shoot me an email.

stwdarkday
03-07-2004, 04:03 AM
2blessed your a godsend!! My master chief has a copy of the old regs and told me no, he's really anal, so I'm going to get my hair braided and if he says anything I'll show him that link. It does say that If it's not to bulky then its within regs. Again thanks!