PDA

View Full Version : Not Brave Enough

dawkib
06-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Because I am so nervous about my hair breaking, I know that I will only have my stylist maintain my locs. Is there anyone who only has a loctician maintain their hair and if so can I see some pics.

Hadasah
06-19-2007, 07:04 PM
That's gonna be awful costly if you maintain your hair by a loctitian. Have you had problems with breakage before?

delleaux
06-19-2007, 09:12 PM
ITA with Hadash! Why make someone rich when you can really do it yourself. There is such wealth of info on care with locks I think you will be fine. There are plenty do it yourselfers on here! But if you must have a loctitian I am sure someone will chime in with good results. :)

congobrava
06-20-2007, 07:27 AM
my 1st year with locs i had a loctician do it; you can see photos in my fotki.

i do have to agree with the other posters, in that there's a lot of information on nappturality for how to take care of your locs. but if you're concerned about breakage and feel like you can't handle it on your own, then do what u feel is best. going to a loctician really isnt that costly, depending on where you live and how often you go...i'd go once a month and it was $55; it was a good choice for me at the time, but i do think that you can do it on your own, you just need to aquaint yoourself with your hair and not fear it. best of luck :)

Newlynaturalkitty2
06-20-2007, 09:44 AM
I completely feel you... I currently go to my loctician every 3 months and maintain my hair during the months I don't go. I have always liked going to the shop and have became accustomed to it. But I am scared to latch my own hair in fear that I will mess everything up. So I do feel you reagrding that... :blush:

Imperial Locs
06-20-2007, 11:16 AM
i have someone maintain my locs it's not bank breaking regardless of some exaggerations. if that's what you feel comfortable with go ahead and find someone you are also comfortable with and get ur hair done.

bmorelikebre
06-20-2007, 05:17 PM
I go to my loctician every 3 weeks and I wouldn't have it any other way... at least for right now. I pay $50 for loc maintenance and another $20 tipping. Not too bad (for me) Maybe one day i'll maintain on my own but I'm way too lazy!! if you have it in your budget to go to the salon, why not?

QueenLocks
06-20-2007, 06:28 PM
I know some people in ATL. who start at 55.00 but eventually, you can do them on your own.

ava1
06-21-2007, 01:56 PM
I totally understand. But beware and do your homework. I wanted a manicured look and started my locs with a loctician who did a horrible job(uneven parts, etc.) Eventually I found someone who got me on the right track. I haven't been able to go back because I have two little ones and my husband job is very demanding. After awhile it seemed like I was always cancelling my appts. and so out of neccessity I had to learn to do it my self. It was scary at first and I did ok and have gotten better and better at it. Actually I have been wanting to go back to the salon and I made an appointment for this Saturday because I finally got on the same page schedulewise with my husband. However, I forgot that I will have a friend in town for a visit. Anyway, I think I've just come to the realization that getting to the salon to too hard for me so I'm got to devote myself to learning to maintain my hair as well as a stylist would. Although I AM glad I got someone to start mine off for me the way I wanted. Maybe you could get someone to start you off and then maintain them on your own? Good Luck!

shay
06-21-2007, 03:38 PM
I decided to lock my hair after being natural for 4 years, initially I was using a loctitian but frankly it was too much of a hassle in terms of time and money. So I eventually decided to freeform and have been freeforming since Oct 04, I love the freedom of freeforming. So you could also freeform as an alternative to seeing a loctitian regularly.

Shay