PDA

View Full Version : Carol's Daughter product query

nckyola
03-20-2003, 01:13 AM
I was reading the ingredients on CD Hair Honey and Healthy Hair Butter. They sound great and I think they would be wonderful for my hair. I am confused about the difference between the two and what each is best used for.
I am considering buying online, but wanted to know if I really need both or do they serve similar purposes?

Thanks for any help.

lydicarol
03-20-2003, 01:55 AM
Hey nckyola,

I've used both. HHB is a great moisturizer, it's what I use on my shampoo days to twists, leaves my hair soft and shiney. To me this is a product that is best used for wet hair.

The Mimosa Hair Honey smells great, leaves your hair with a great shine and can spruce up your twists during the week if they start to get dull but you can purchase an essential oil like jojoba for that or if you can find it in your area Natures Blessings Pomade (much cheaper). There are some that use this product for twists, I've tried, didn't make much of a difference to me and wasn't moisturizing. I think this product is made more for dry hair but there are others who may think differently.

If you're indecisive on what to choose, buy the 2 oz of both, test it out so that you can get a feel for what may work for you.

:) HTH

elleebeme5
03-20-2003, 02:58 AM
The Hair Honey gives my hair a beautiful shine without being greasy. I use the Healthy hair butter for moisturizing.

skegee94
03-20-2003, 04:13 AM
Nckyola, you are my hero! Literally, I needed an answer to this exact question! I am so glad I browsed this board this evening. And as a bonus, thanks to lydicarol, I now know what "CDHHB" means. I've seen this acronym in several places around the boards, and have had no idea what it means until now. Thanks. So am I correct to conclude that the HHB is for doing twists, and the Honey is for shine (and may not be necessary)? I think that's what I took from this. I do need to try a new twisting product. Also, does anyone use either product for deep conditioning? And which one leaves your hair softer? I love that CD lists ingredients online. I don't like to buy anything unless I know exactly what's in it.
Thanks.

krazeenapps
03-20-2003, 06:43 AM
I had almost given up on the HHB because I tried using it as a treatment for my scalp (i.e. I would put it on my scalp, put on a heat cap and hope some of the good stuff soaked through to my follicles), but it didn't work, and actually really messed up my scalp. So I was resolved to stop using it until I decided last night to use it to put my hair up in fat braids. I put it on wet hair, brushed through, braided....AMAZING! So I agree with lydicarol when she says it works best on wet hair. Definitely agree.

I like the MHH. It's a great product for shine, light, and doesn't leave my hair feeling greasy. It's definitely not as thick as the HHB, which would be really good for holding in those twists and braids. Both can be thought of as shine products. I'm so glad I found a way to use both MHH and HHB. For a while I was wondering what their purpose was. You can use them for whatever! But use the HHB sparingly. A little bit goes a long way on hair, and you don't want to gunk up your hair so that you have to be clarifying all over the place.

blkrighteousspace1
03-20-2003, 12:02 PM
I own both...and use both for diff. reasons

CDHHB: i use on wet hair (i've notice it doesn't leave me with white hair like when i use it on dry....i was seriously about to toss it or give it away)....and i'll twist my hair @ night...or put it in bantu knots when i wear my hair out...so i will have to manipulate it less in the morning. Also i noticed...sometimes when I want a little length to my twists...and cool-dry(set my blow dry on the cool air setting....i don't like to use hot air on my hair), and use a wide tooth comb... and run it through so my hair is damp, but not sopping....it's done good for me. I don't necessarily call CDHHB a moisturizer....but i think IMHO, it acts as a sealant in my hair, because other products when i've cool dried my hair...leave it dried-out feeling....even though it looks moist.

CDMHH: i use it day to day.....i think i take maybe a quarter or silver dollar sized amount....rub it in my hands and just run my finger and kinda massage it in my hair. I steer clear of applying oily products on my scalp because it causes flakage on me.

Both products, I'm pleased with especially since i figured out a way to use the CDHHB

lydicarol
03-20-2003, 12:58 PM
Thanks. So am I correct to conclude that the HHB is for doing twists, and the Honey is for shine (and may not be necessary)? I think that's what I took from this.

You would be correct!!!! Well if you're following what I've written that's the gist of it. I know others on this board who say that Mimosa leaves their hair feeling soft, just not for me. :)

I do need to try a new twisting product. Also, does anyone use either product for deep conditioning? And which one leaves your hair softer? I love that CD lists ingredients online. I don't like to buy anything unless I know exactly what's in it.
Thanks.

The HHB leaves your hair softer IMO. The only thing with the cd site is that the ingredients aren't up to date. When I get a chance, I will post the ingredients of the Mimosa (I threw the container that the HHB came in, hopefully someone else will be able to post the ingredients for that). :)

dembasamba
03-20-2003, 03:18 PM
I found that the Mimosa provided shine and I liked the scent. I don't use it anymore.

The CD HHB, I use on wet hair for moisture. It doesn't do anything for me in terms of shine. But it is really good for moisture. I don't use it anymore either.

Right now I am trying to make a product of my own which can provide both shine and moisture at a good price. I found this in KemiOylShea Pommade. I love this product. It can be greasy if you use too much, but I am the smidgen queen and it works wonders for me. Unfortunately, DH finds the smell off putting so I just decided to try to work something out on my own.

nckyola
03-20-2003, 03:56 PM
If you're indecisive on what to choose, buy the 2 oz of both, test it out so that you can get a feel for what may work for you.
:) HTH
That's exactly what I did, Lydi. I placed the order but I'm not big on those shipping charges. Oh well.
They also have a gift basket with all these hair products including shampoo, rinse, oils, etc. for $28.95. I passed on that for now since I make my own oils and already have some stuff I need to use up first.

I love that CD lists ingredients online. I don't like to buy anything unless I know exactly what's in it.

I'm hoping that with the ingredients being all natural, I may be able to make my own (if I like it) after trying it.

nckyola
03-26-2003, 11:59 PM
I got my HHB and MHH in the mail last evening. I love this stuff - the consistency, the smell, the results (of both). And how come y'all didn't tell me the MHH came with a cute little flower stuck in the middle of it? :o :D

I used the HHB when I first got it to moisturize my cornrows and the ends of the hair that I had "out" (you'd have to see it to know what I'm talking about). Then before bedtime, I used the MHH to smooth down some of the frizzies along the hairline of my cornrows and on my fingertips when plaiting my puff, then put my scarf on as usual (actually this time it was a "doo-rag").

Today, my hair feels like a big cotton ball - really soft. And it was so easy to "pick" out.

bambino
03-27-2003, 12:14 AM
has anyone tried CD's Hair Milk? what are the reviews for that product if anyway?

LuvJones
03-27-2003, 07:20 AM
i use the hair milk daily. i luv it! i use the hair butter also only when my hair is wet. ordered some more products but have to have them shipped to family and then to me. i like the line because a little seems to go along way!

LJ

marissasensei
03-27-2003, 08:34 AM
Re: the CD hair milk, I think the results vary by hair texture and thickness. It seems like the people who've had best results tend to be those in the 3-something - 4a range, or those with thinner/softer hair. My hair is 4a-4b, and the hair milk didn't do anything at all for my 'fro. I would've had to use the entire bottle to see some results. :?

lydicarol
03-27-2003, 03:11 PM
has anyone tried CD's Hair Milk? what are the reviews for that product if anyway?

I used to be a hair milk fanatic a couple of years ago. I would mix it with my gel and get stellar results. I switched over to something else due to the fact that it separates way too much for my liking and it was causing acne.

@nckyola,

I'm glad that you liked the HHB and MHH. :)

elleebeme5
03-28-2003, 12:18 PM
I like the hair milk. I use a squirt when I'm wearing twists. I also use it in the evening if I think my hair needs perking up.

My hair is primarily 4a with some 3b/c-ish and 4b mixed in (truth be told, there's a couple of 1 strands up there too). Perhaps that combination is why I'm satisfied.

agf1908
03-28-2003, 02:13 PM
good morning all, i wanted to know where i can buy her products in the dc metro area? thanks, adrienne

blkrighteousspace1
03-28-2003, 02:41 PM
you can check on her website...www.carolsdaughter.com, and she has a listing of retail stores that carry her products....there should be a couple DC stores since DC's not unbearably far from NYC. I will try to locate the direct link for you.

nappierdiva
03-28-2003, 04:24 PM
Adrienne,

You can pick up Carol's Daughter products in the DC area at a place called Niecey's Boutique. It is located on Chillium Rd. in NE. Don't know the exact address but the store is right next door the THE GLUT natural food store. Other than that you probably would have to order her products on line. Hope this helps

NAPPIERDIVA
:lol: