PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Take So Long To Wash, Retwist Locks?

BabySoft
06-26-2007, 01:39 PM
I was reading the thread about how long this proces of retwisting and washing can take. Are these long hours due to a certain length or thickness? I guess I don't understand why it would take 3hrs to wash the locks or retwist. Do you use special hair products to retwist? I've washed my hair and retwisted my roots with plain old water and it was just like washing my hair before. But I don't have mature locks yet and my hair is not thick. But even when they do mature, I don't understand why it would take so long to wash unless you use a lot of heavy products? :unsure: Someone please enlighten me.

delleaux
06-26-2007, 01:53 PM
I guess because with washing many do prolong rinsing. I take about a good 2 hours because after I wash I use an acv rinse then do a good prolong rinse and depending if it is time to palm roll them that takes another hour.

Now, for just washing them about and 30-45 minutes. You want to make sure there is no residue behind from the shampoo and let the water run clear. Even though my locks do not look dirty, when I start squeezing the shampoo into my locks and rinse, the water is literally brown. Not because of heavy product usage but simply dirt. Locks attract more dirt than loose hair. So washing is more time consuming. :D

blackernsweeter
06-26-2007, 02:33 PM
i wondered this as well. i thought maybe i was doing it wrong cuz it didn't take me as long...? then i thought the same thing about length, or number of locks. it takes the loctician about 2 hours but then most of that time is spent under the dryer. i don't do the dryer for long so that cut out a lot of my maint. time.

Tiye
06-27-2007, 06:12 AM
I was reading the thread about how long this proces of retwisting and washing can take. Are these long hours due to a certain length or thickness? I guess I don't understand why it would take 3hrs to wash the locks or retwist. Do you use special hair products to retwist? I've washed my hair and retwisted my roots with plain old water and it was just like washing my hair before. But I don't have mature locks yet and my hair is not thick. But even when they do mature, I don't understand why it would take so long to wash unless you use a lot of heavy products? :unsure: Someone please enlighten me.
[/b]

Three hours isn't a long time for washing and maintenance. I doubt even the most skilled loctician would beat that. Locs have to be washed carefully and thoroughly otherwise they dont' get all the way clean and then 2 years down the road ppl are horrified that they have buildup. I'm not for prolonged rinsing that's a waste of utilities but I'm for careful rinsing. You can make sure that all of the soap/shampoo is good and gone without running out the hot water heater.

gigglezk
06-27-2007, 09:20 AM
I think its due to the fact that everybody is different. We could all use the same method, start at the exact same time, and there would still be different finishing times for everyone.

naturalay
06-27-2007, 09:29 AM
I don't have mature locks and i used to take so long for retwist the firts time it took me 3 or 4 hours the next maybe 2.

I just discovered the latching method and it's going to change my life!! :wub: :wub: it's so much faster and i don't even need produtc or wet hair.

Poetic_Butterfly
06-27-2007, 10:12 AM
I think that the more mature your locs are the longer it takes for the process. I believe that your locs are thicker and longer so they take longer to maintain the look. The washing takes longer because you want to make sure that you rinse your locs out properly and condition them. I know for me that sometimes I prefer a hot oil treatment which adds more time. I know that it on average it takes at least three hours for washing, retwisting, hot oil treatment, and drying maybe longer as the months continue until November. I'm using November because I would have locs for two years. I am sure that they would have matured moreand will be more work for me. I've been doing my locs myself but recently I thought about going back to a loctician for help and support.

Peace,
Rasta

issa
06-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Washing:
Depends on length, hair "thickness"/density, and loc maturity, among other things. It also depends on what all kinds of super-special things you do like ACV soaks & hot oil treatments. If your hair is long, I don't see you being able to wash 'n dry in 15 minutes, regardless of whether it's locked or loose. I also agree that rinsing can take longer due to trying to get all the soap or gunk out.

Did you see that YouTube video on how to wash long locs? That was cool and kind of explained the process.

Retwisting:
Depends on loc stage, loc length (at first), # of locs, and the person's experience. If you just started locking, your retwist may be the whole darn lock for awhile. That can take time. More time if you're not that good at it yet. It takes practice. If you have 200+ locks to deal with, it may take you a minute longer than someone with only 80.

Might also depend on how much new growth you have or how long you go between retwists.

vkeys765
06-28-2007, 11:56 AM
I agree, it usually takes me about 3 or 4 hours to wash and retwist my locks. I am always concerned about leaving products in my hair for fear that they may start to fall out.

BabySoft
07-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Okay, well this seems like a variable answer. How would u retwist the whole lock, i'm assuming palm rolling or something? :unsure: Cause my twists don't seem like they need to be rolled i don't think. :huh: So, what shampoos are best? I've been using Suave biobasics shampoo. Are there certain shampoos or conditioners with better ingredients to avoid buildup? I haven't seen the loc washing vid on youtube. I guess I'll see if I can find it.

issa
07-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Loc Washing (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=95471&hl=youtube) video

lleighh3
07-04-2007, 05:13 AM
Loc Washing (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=95471&hl=youtube) video
[/b]

Thanks for the video. Wish I'd seen it 12 years ago.

I started my locs in 1995 ... on my own after reading lotsa books. No stylist wanted to touch my hair in it's natural state back in the day. VERY thick and coarse. I've got over 100 locs but most of them No. 2 pencil-thick. They're down my back. So it takes me a good 30 minutes to wash and rinse. Then it's another hour and a half to properly retwist/palm roll them back into shape (the roots are the area I concentrate on, especially three or four inches from the scalp).

I've never seen a loctician. I've just gotten used to doing it myself. I wish I could sit in somebody's chair for a couple hours but still can't seem to find a stylist that isn't beeswax happy. I don't need wax ... my hair started locing all by itself while I was trying to sport a two strand twist ... it's THAT nappy.

bajanempress
07-04-2007, 09:32 AM
I dunno it takes me about half hour or less to wash but I don't use conditioner and when I oil and retwist that is only about another half hour or less for me. My record is 25 mins I think, if I'm in a rush I will just do the front and that will take me about 15 mins max. I'm not sure how come I can do it so quickly but part of it is that I have thick, mature locks and I only have to do the roots.