PDA

View Full Version : Henna

winchestersme
06-26-2007, 05:01 PM
I just want everyone to know that I love all of you alls hair!!
My package of jamila henna came yesterday and I was just wondering if anyone has had any allergic reactions to it? Im planning on doing the strand test but would that really show if you were allergic to it if its not touching your skin and just you hair? Im sorry for all these questions but I wanted to be sure that nothing "horrible" would happen. Ive went to all the sites and read about it but just my luck....lol...
Thank for reading and thanks in advance for any replies or information!!

shiraz
06-26-2007, 07:41 PM
That's a good question. Allergic reactions to henna are very rare. Most negative reactions to henna are caused by the product containing other ingredients that are harmful to the hair and/or skin. A strand test will definitely help determine whether it is safe for you to use henna, but if your henna is pure, then I am sure you have nothing to worry about.

winchestersme
06-27-2007, 04:07 AM
Thanks so much for your reply. I had planned on mixing the henna with an egg, EVOO, ACV and thats about it. I am positive that I'm not allergic to any of those... :D I'm soo excited and cant wait to try it!!

Tiye
06-27-2007, 06:22 AM
I have a cousin who is highly sensitive and allergic to just about everything. She gets hives at the drop of a hat, and has spent a lot of time going to an allergist, etc. OTOH she has been using henna for years and is not allergic to it. Just make a little paste, rub it into the inside of your arm, and let it sit till it dries - if you don't get hives you should be safe.

winchestersme
06-30-2007, 08:29 AM
okay! i've been sitting here for a few minutes with the henna paste on the inside of my arm and its drying up now!! guess this means no allergies!!!!! im super excited and cant wait til tomorrow to put it in my hair! although the smell is a little weird...i think its still gonna be great!!

winchestersme
07-01-2007, 08:03 AM
I"m sitting here right now with henna on my hair. Did anyones tingle a bit..or get warm?? I did the test and it didnt break me out...so maybe its doing its job on my hair??

KenyanRoots
07-03-2007, 08:43 PM
So Win, what's the verdict?

I've been doing a little research on henna too and would greatly appreciate hearing what your thoughts are now that you've tried it. First off, I hope you did not experience any allergic reactions. Secondly, did you experience any difficulty when removing the henna from your hair? What about the conditioning effects henna is known to have, did you experience any of that? How about any changes in your curl pattern? And lastly...the color/highlights...did you get the reddish tint?

I know, I know, I know - I'm so full of questions. I do apologize, but I couldn't resist asking someone who just experienced henna firsthand. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks for your time and take care.

winchestersme
07-12-2007, 04:40 PM
0k well i tried it and well...i almost threw up!! lol it stinks for real!!but the color is great!!

shiraz
07-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Lol! Yeah, henna has a pretty.. distinctive smell. Kinda like hay.
I can see the color on your avatar and fotki.. It looks awesome!! Congrats :)

karmel83
07-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Win- I love the color in ur hair!! did you use coffee in ur henna or do u have to do that?