PDA

View Full Version : Deep Conditioner Recipe

I_am_Lisa
07-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for an oil-free, honey free, protein free deep conditioner LOL. All of the recipes that I have seen have one of these three ingredients and my hair doesn't respond well to these items. Thank you for reading :).

I need to add one thing as well, I need something that doesn't involve the butters. Those just stick in my hair and it takes a harsh shampoo to wash out.

vnatural
07-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Have you tried a commercial conditioner? Like Aveda, I've read raving reviews on that one. You say nothing seems to work. Maybe you have scab hair?

I_am_Lisa
07-02-2007, 08:52 PM
It's quite possible that some of my hair is scab hair, but I've been transitioning for almost two years so all of it can't be scab hair.. right??? Anyway, I was thinking about posting this question in the commerical thread but I didn't want to do that double post thing. I don't want something that is super expensive either *shrug*

sugaplum
07-05-2007, 11:40 AM
I use a Avocado & Banana Mask. I know you said no honey or EVOO but you can try mixing molasses with it. Molases is good for preventing split ends. Just blend everything untill smooth.

HTH

I_am_Lisa
07-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Avocado and Banana huh? Are those two ingredients very moisturizing? It sure sounds yummy!

I_am_Lisa
07-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Pinkwolf, from your suggestion I searched the boards for recipes with avocado and I have decided to use Moe's recipe on this (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65013) page (scroll down) i have it on right now and I will be rinsing in about an hour.

Awura Afua
07-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Avocado and Banana huh? Are those two ingredients very moisturizing? It sure sounds yummy!
[/b]

I :wub: Avocado, is one of My Staples (http://public.fotki.com/Araba/products--tools/what-works-for-me/2006/) & yes its very moisturizing.

oh, try Amla Powder :wub: :wub: :wub:

I_am_Lisa
07-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Thank you :). I tried the avocado and coconut milk and I couldn't get the avocado to mash all the way? *shrug* I guess practice makes perfect!

BrnNappyGrl
07-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Thank you :). I tried the avocado and coconut milk and I couldn't get the avocado to mash all the way? *shrug* I guess practice makes perfect!
[/b]

Try blending them together in a blender then straining them through a piece of gauze or an old white t-shirt.

Sykee
07-09-2007, 05:34 AM
yogurt is supposed to be great for softening...

simply natural
07-09-2007, 09:27 AM
my hair isn't too fond of honey and is iffy with oils (depends on the oil). proteins i think it likes in moderation (i read somewhere that too much protein makes your hair brittle and dry). anyway i deep condition with stuff like coconut milk, commercial conditioners - suave etc, mayo (protein rich tho) and the oils my hair likes (coconut, amla, avocado and jojoba.....it HATES olive oil lol). have your tried mixing a bit of commercial conditioner with coconut milk or some other item that your hair does like?

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for an oil-free, honey free, protein free deep conditioner LOL. All of the recipes that I have seen have one of these three ingredients and my hair doesn't respond well to these items. Thank you for reading :).

I need to add one thing as well, I need something that doesn't involve the butters. Those just stick in my hair and it takes a harsh shampoo to wash out.
[/b]

sugaplum
07-11-2007, 04:33 PM
yogurt is supposed to be great for softening...
[/b]

Oh yes I forgot all about this. :)

Yes the banana is very moisturizing. I strain using an old t-shirt becuse the reciepe can get a little chunky.

I_am_Lisa
07-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Well I tried the avocado and coconut milk again. I mashed two ripe avocadoes and then pour the coconut milk in. I left it in for two hours and my hair feels pretty darn good :). I'm going to use the rest of it tonight and then do it again next week. My plan is to deep condition twice a week for the month of July, my hair can really use the moisture.