PDA

View Full Version : Oh No My Job Didn't!

miss.candace
07-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Ok, so I've been workin at this place for a few months now, and 90% of the time I wear a headwrap. So I go in today, && I decide to wear a different one, white instead of black. I'm not at work for a full 10 minutes before one of my supervisors [[white]] comes up to me && says, "Um..candace, we're not sure that you should wear that thing on your head."
Then I say, "Uhh....why?"
Her: Well it doesn't go with the uniform. What's it for, anyway?
Me: It's for my hair [[duh]].
Her: Well we're gonna need you to take it off.
Me: Do I have to? I'm having a bad hair day.
Her: I'm not sure. I'll go ask another supervisor.

So then I go about my day, doin my job, && I notice that all the supervisors && security guards keep staring at me && talking quietly when I pass. After about 2 and a half hours of this, I walk by a group of managers and one of them stops me.
Her: Candace you have to take that off.
Me: [[I gave her a look like WTF???]]
Her: You can't wear it with the uniform. Take it off please.
Me: Are you serious?
Her: Yes you can't wear it. Put your hair into a ponytail or something.
Me: I don't have enough hair for a ponytail.
Her: Oh, you don't? Sorry, there's nothing I can do about it. You have to take it off.

I go into the bathroom, all sad && stuff. I started venting to one of my friends. I don't understand why I had to take my head wrap off when I've worn head wraps PLENTY of times at work before. I don't feel I should have to show my hair if I don't want to. One of my co-workers saw that I took my wrap off && he said ,"Oh snap, they made you take it off? Why???? You wear them all the time!"
I knew I wasn't the only one who thought this was wrong.

The only way they would have let me keep it on was if the wrap was for religious reasons.

I felt kinda depressed really. I felt like they were dissing my style && not respecting my want to keep my hair wrapped. Why is it a problem now, when it wasn't before???????
:( :unsure:

BTW: when I was wearing my black wrap, they knew it was a wrap.

GoodT
07-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Well... if you have been wearing a black one, they probably didn't look close enough to see that it was a wrap and not your actual hair... If the white one stood out and it was obvious that it was a wrap, then that's probably why they said that... Sorry mami... :( My job is like that too... Apparently my hair is too "ethnic"... Just shake it off and K.I.M....

delleaux
07-21-2007, 02:39 PM
NO! First find out is their a policy about grooming standards. If there is not regarding headwraps. I question their motives right away. When someone aske me to do something like that they better have a rationale for it and I better see it in writing. I wear headwraps because my locks are getting to the point where I can&#39;t stand the heat of them on my neck and the headwrap is the perfect solution. I am sorry to hear this but HR is your first step. <_<

ReginaCarter
07-21-2007, 02:42 PM
If u wear a uniform you probabbly have to follow certain rules when it comes to look,when i used to work at the airport we,employees couldnt wear colorful hair ,spiky hair ,braids (white or hispanic COULD NOT wear braids or cornrows) high ponytails or bangs over the eyes.We had regulations for shoes,jewellery etc .
Dont think its a act of racism towards u ,they re probably simply following the company policy.Respect it .

bonbonita
07-21-2007, 02:43 PM
awww. something similar happened to me when I used to work retail (wet seal). but my manager was too lenient, but I noticed that finally she was starting to have some issues with my head wraps (I wear it like a bun, and I always add a flower to it so I look pretty "fashionable")...one day she was all fidgety and stuff...you know fixing her hair and dress and avoiding eye contact....finally she was like "is your head wrap for religious reasons?" and I said "and what if it&#39;s not?" she was like "well I don&#39;t know, you know, I was just wondering because you know..." and I told her that I only wore it on bad hair days or just generally to accessorize" she was like "oh...well then, just don&#39;t wear it when the district manager visits, she&#39;s really picky.

So yea. I was tempted to lie and say it was for religious reasons, the lady wouldn&#39;t have known any better...as in wonder why I wear it off and on, lol. She&#39;s just soooo sheltered in more ways than one. But I felt that approach would have been unethical.

miss.candace
07-21-2007, 02:57 PM
See, that&#39;s the thing though. I looked it up in the employee manual && it didn&#39;t say you can&#39;t wear wraps. :Angry:

ReginaCarter
07-21-2007, 03:02 PM
See, that&#39;s the thing though. I looked it up in the employee manual && it didn&#39;t say you can&#39;t wear wraps. :Angry:
[/b]
Ask your boss ,what do u do if I may ask?

Samii2004
07-21-2007, 03:05 PM
[/b]

If you looked it up and it was not there, read the language very carefully because there could be a generalized statement that could include your headwrap. If there isn&#39;t then I would aske questions as to why your headwrap is an issue when the company has no policy stating the even infers that you cannot wear headwraps. As someone stated. your first line of questions should be to HR if you feel strongly about it.

ReginaCarter
07-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Maybe its time for you to take pride of your hair and stop hiding it under the scarf.;)

pookeylou
07-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Maybe its time for you to take pride of your hair and stop hiding it under the scarf.;)
[/b]

:unsure: Wow....I&#39;m...not sure what to say to that but...Wow.

My question is why have they not said anything before?

tao1972
07-21-2007, 03:45 PM
I couldn&#39;t let this go by without saying something. I asked my director on Thursday if it was okay for me to wear a head wrap? She said did you read the employee hand book and I said yes it doesn&#39;t state anything about not wearing head wrap and it also stated that the policy should be adjusted to reasonably accommodate any associates religious beliefs. I did this because most of the employees don&#39;t understand why I choose to go natural and then on top of that I&#39;m in the process of getting locs. So, with that being said pull out that handbook read over it carefully and if you have problems either speak to your district manager or call the corporate office. Good luck

miss.candace
07-21-2007, 05:19 PM
[/b]

<_< I&#39;m not ashamed of my hair. I just like wraps. Point blank. They&#39;re easier to deal with && I like them for work.

NappsGalore
07-21-2007, 05:29 PM
I&#39;m with the poster that said you should have aske dto see a policy. And then even if they had one, you should have, and still should, inform them that you were unaware of this policy, tell them you have been wearing a head wrap all the time, and tell them you&#39;d be willing to honor the policy they haven&#39;t been enforcing the NEXt time you come to work, since you weren&#39;t prepared to be without it. ALWAYS question the MAN.

[/b]

Uhh. Since when does wearing a headwrap and protecting your hair, mean you don&#39;t take pride in your naps? She never said she didn&#39;t properly care for her hair or take pirde in it. Wearing a white, or really any other color, headwrap that sets you apart from eveyone else at work says nothing but pride to me.

Hadasah
07-21-2007, 05:39 PM
ALWAYS question the MAN.
[/b]

:lol: :Cool_049:

LadyBug13
07-21-2007, 05:47 PM
[/b]

:blink:

:unsure: Wow....I&#39;m...not sure what to say to that.
[/b]

Me either.

Uhh. Since when does wearing a headwrap and protecting your hair, mean you don&#39;t take pride in your naps? She never said she didn&#39;t properly care for her hair or take pirde in it. Wearing a white, or really any other color, headwrap that sets you apart from eveyone else at work says nothing but pride to me.
[/b]

Ahhh.... Now this is what I would&#39;ve said.

Nibrysn
07-21-2007, 08:57 PM
:blink:

Me either.

Ahhh.... Now this is what I would&#39;ve said.
[/b]

I would just suggest you go to HR....because if its not in the handbook...how can they enforce it?

tinyspirals
07-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Maybe the white head wrap didn&#39;t clash well with the uniform? I&#39;m not sure but I know some companies don&#39;t mind you wearing things on your head, just as long as it doesn&#39;t stand out from the uniform colors or it&#39;s natural colors. :unsure:

pelogrueso
07-22-2007, 12:04 AM
I&#39;d be confused too. You&#39;ve read the policy, you&#39;ve worn headwraps in the past. You still have questions, so... I would calmly work up the chain of command. Put aside your hurt and anger and go to your immediate supervisor with your genuine concerns. Write them down while you&#39;re at home and calm. If you do not get a satisfactory answer, continue to work your way up the chain of command. If the company&#39;s policies are not in kepping with what you stand for, be prepared to either quit or sacrifice your standards to keep the job. BTW, I agree with a previous poster&#39;s comment, perhaps they did not realize that your black headwrap was not your hair (not that that makes them right to ask you to take it off. what if you had a bad dye job and your hair was pink or blue or purple under the wrap? Would they still insisit you not wear the wrap? Is there a policy on hair styles, colors, etc?). Read and re-read the policy so that you can be well prepared. Non nappy people truly have no clue about our hair. Right now you are in a position to enlighten them! again, make sure you are calm and able to express yourself without anger, focus on the policies.

Bejewelle
07-22-2007, 03:18 AM
If they hadn&#39;t said anything before then I think the issue was more with the white headwrap standing out - maybe clashing with the uniform, i dunno - than your wearing headwraps in general, but now unfortunately the issue has come up. I don&#39;t understand how they couldn&#39;t have realised your usual black headwrap wasn&#39;t your hair.

curlycoilyfroily
07-22-2007, 04:53 AM
And white clashes with WHAT color?

I see it like this: the wrap wasn&#39;t a problem when it was black. Somebody probably got observant when the OP wore a white headwrap and decided they didn&#39;t like it. Shoot, they didn&#39;t really like it when it was black either, but since the OP wanted to be jazzy and wear a different color, they decided they needed to speak their piece and nip it in the bud. Wouldn&#39;t want her to get too comfortable and come in one day wearing a PRINT headwrap. <_<

I would step to my boss, let her know that I know there&#39;s no real policy to enforce in this situation and then I&#39;d go to HR. If there&#39;s no policy, they can&#39;t make one up on the spot and expect you to accept it, especially since you&#39;ve been wearing your headwrap to work without a problem. That would be discrimination.

Bejewelle
07-22-2007, 05:21 AM
^^^What you said is basically what I meant. The white headscarf STOOD OUT so someone decided to say something... :rolleyes:

curlycoilyfroily
07-22-2007, 05:28 AM
^^^ Oh, I see. ;)

Barklel
07-22-2007, 06:18 AM
Ok, so I&#39;ve been workin at this place for a few months now, and 90% of the time I wear a headwrap. So I go in today, && I decide to wear a different one, white instead of black. I&#39;m not at work for a full 10 minutes before one of my supervisors [[white]] comes up to me && says, "Um..candace, we&#39;re not sure that you should wear that thing on your head."
Then I say, "Uhh....why?"
Her: Well it doesn&#39;t go with the uniform. What&#39;s it for, anyway?
Me: It&#39;s for my hair [[duh]].
Her: Well we&#39;re gonna need you to take it off.
Me: Do I have to? I&#39;m having a bad hair day.
Her: I&#39;m not sure. I&#39;ll go ask another supervisor.

So then I go about my day, doin my job, && I notice that all the supervisors && security guards keep staring at me && talking quietly when I pass. After about 2 and a half hours of this, I walk by a group of managers and one of them stops me.
Her: Candace you have to take that off.
Me: [[I gave her a look like WTF???]]
Her: You can&#39;t wear it with the uniform. Take it off please.
Me: Are you serious?
Her: Yes you can&#39;t wear it. Put your hair into a ponytail or something.
Me: I don&#39;t have enough hair for a ponytail.
Her: Oh, you don&#39;t? Sorry, there&#39;s nothing I can do about it. You have to take it off.

I go into the bathroom, all sad && stuff. I started venting to one of my friends. I don&#39;t understand why I had to take my head wrap off when I&#39;ve worn head wraps PLENTY of times at work before. I don&#39;t feel I should have to show my hair if I don&#39;t want to. One of my co-workers saw that I took my wrap off && he said ,"Oh snap, they made you take it off? Why???? You wear them all the time!"
I knew I wasn&#39;t the only one who thought this was wrong.

The only way they would have let me keep it on was if the wrap was for religious reasons.

I felt kinda depressed really. I felt like they were dissing my style && not respecting my want to keep my hair wrapped. Why is it a problem now, when it wasn&#39;t before???????
:( :unsure:

BTW: when I was wearing my black wrap, they knew it was a wrap.
[/b]

CANDACE NO JOKE! The exact thing happened to me about 6/7 years ago!
I was working at a hotel at the time.

I used to wear a black head wrap (not like the usual bandana "I&#39;M-JUST-WRAPPING-MY-HAIR-UP" style but the african head wrap w. the bun in the back) .. any way, we got this new GM and all the sudden weeks after he came he had an issue w/ this. I had been wearing my headwrap the entire time I was employed there. One day my supervisor called me into his office and says, "Uhm.. you can&#39;t wear that.... that headwrap on your head..." It was the end of day so I just gave him this digusted look and walked out of the office. I continued to wear it. He called me into the office again and told me if I wore it we&#39;d have to go to HR. I said, "well we can go to HR..." We went to HR and I sat there w/ my sup. and the HR director. She said "In the book it&#39;s defined as no bandana&#39;s but not limited to...... but we wouldn&#39;t do that." She continued w/ my options "either you wear it all of the time or none of the time...." I wore it consitantly for a few days then didn&#39;t wear it. I even switched it up w/ a black and white striped wrap. It was hot y&#39;all. SO I was called into the GM&#39;s office the next day. My sup., the HR dir. and the GM were sitting there (as I was sitting there w/ my headwrap on)...... They all were YT too (yes, it matters)..... I stood my ground for most of the meeting and I told them it&#39;s cultural. The YT GM from Texas said "Well, if I saw someone with this... this... THING *circular motions around the head*.. I&#39;d say &#39;what is this?&#39;" I gave him the strangest look. Anyway, the meeting didn&#39;t help. I kept wearing it as I did (off and on) for a while then I was tired of fighting... I was braiding my hair anyway... I was so heated.

napturallyme
07-22-2007, 06:46 AM
I&#39;m on the side that the white wrap probably stood out to them more. It was probably more noticeable. What kind of job is this anyway and what is the uniform?

I think you may have to suck it up and just wear your hair out.

miss.candace
07-22-2007, 08:55 AM
I work at a waterpark && the uniform is a blue and WHITE hawaiian shirt. Since I didn&#39;t see anything in the manual about not being able to wear headwraps, I thought hey, I&#39;ll wear it. [[african style w/ tha bun]]. The manual said whatever you put on your head has to go with the uniform. HELLOOO???? blue && white shirt with a white headwrap?? goes together to me. :dunno:

So to those posters who thought maybe it clashed with the uniform, it didn&#39;t. It actually matched well IMO.

Here&#39;s the controversial wrap lol:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r145/schweetcuhyea/headwrapcon.jpg

BTW, since I&#39;m only 15 the only job they could give me at the park was cleaning the park && manual labor no one else wanted to do [[all the 15 yr olds have this job]]. I&#39;m not even in the public view most of the time so that confused me even more as to why my wrap was a problem.

Blaqdiamond4t
07-22-2007, 09:06 AM
i&#39;m sorry you&#39;re dealing with this sweetie. if it&#39;s that serious to you, maybe it&#39;s time to get your mother involved. just weigh the pros and cons of pushing the issue first. since you are only 15, questioning authority could lead to dismissal. but just like another poster said...ALWAYS question the MAN.

eta: you look beautiful. :)

Hadasah
07-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Aww, you look so cute with that headwrap! ^_^

Lexxe
07-22-2007, 09:39 AM
You look adorable with that headwrap, and yes it matches the shirt. I can&#39;t imagine why they won&#39;t let you wear it (well, I CAN imagine, but I can&#39;t imagine a GOOD reason...).

It&#39;s up to you what you want to do next, but whatever you decide to do, do it calmly. Just make sure your tone is always even and reasonable. Don&#39;t give them another excuse.

delleaux
07-22-2007, 09:51 AM
I work at a waterpark && the uniform is a blue and WHITE hawaiian shirt. Since I didn&#39;t see anything in the manual about not being able to wear headwraps, I thought hey, I&#39;ll wear it. [[african style w/ tha bun]]. The manual said whatever you put on your head has to go with the uniform. HELLOOO???? blue && white shirt with a white headwrap?? goes together to me. :dunno:

So to those posters who thought maybe it clashed with the uniform, it didn&#39;t. It actually matched well IMO.

BTW, since I&#39;m only 15 the only job they could give me at the park was cleaning the park && manual labor no one else wanted to do [[all the 15 yr olds have this job]]. I&#39;m not even in the public view most of the time so that confused me even more as to why my wrap was a problem.
[/b]

Your wrap looks fine it is well coordinated with your attire. I am so sick of this mess I can&#39;t tell you how many times I walk in Target walmart and see green red i mean crayon red hair in these outlandish unprofessional styles and here you are with a simple chignon. Omg! You look very nice :-) They are very twisted indeed.

Discodumpling
07-22-2007, 09:51 AM
I can SMELL the discrimination. I can SMELL the intimidation. I can also SMELL a lawsuit! Tell your Mom or someother sympathetic adult who can get the point home on your behalf. This will not be the last time that this happens to you but the feelings of being "sonned" can be minimized if you are aware of your rights...and even moreso when others are aware that you are knowledgable.

delleaux
07-22-2007, 09:54 AM
[/b]

What does that have to do with anything. Many wear headwraps doesn&#39;t have nothing to do with pride! It is a choice one makes when one may not feel like wearing their hair out! Or if their locks are so long and it is cooler to wear one! Jeez!!!! <_<

Samielle1
07-22-2007, 10:49 AM
It seems to me that alot of you are getting called out after working at these places at least 6 or 7 years. It seems to me that they might be a little paranoid that you look muslim, considering the 9/11 incident. Idk. Or maybe they could just be a**holes.

*~Poohbear~*
07-22-2007, 11:52 AM
And white clashes with WHAT color?

I see it like this: the wrap wasn&#39;t a problem when it was black. Somebody probably got observant when the OP wore a white headwrap and decided they didn&#39;t like it. Shoot, they didn&#39;t really like it when it was black either, but since the OP wanted to be jazzy and wear a different color, they decided they needed to speak their piece and nip it in the bud. Wouldn&#39;t want her to get too comfortable and come in one day wearing a PRINT headwrap. <_<

I would step to my boss, let her know that I know there&#39;s no real policy to enforce in this situation and then I&#39;d go to HR. If there&#39;s no policy, they can&#39;t make one up on the spot and expect you to accept it, especially since you&#39;ve been wearing your headwrap to work without a problem. That would be discrimination.
[/b]
That&#39;s what I was thinking as well.

[/b]
You look so cute! :wub: Your scarf and uniform look totally fine together! Your managers were tripping for real!

LilShortRib
07-22-2007, 11:54 AM
It is all about whether or not you want to and are willing to fight this and accept the consequences. If you have read the guidelines and made sure there are no &#39;loopholes&#39;, you can go for it because you have a valid argument. Just be ready for your job to be real nasty and backhanded because you called them on the carpet.

Azwethinkweiz
07-22-2007, 03:54 PM
:unsure: Wow....I&#39;m...not sure what to say to that but...Wow.

My question is why have they not said anything before?
[/b]

It&#39;s just some encouragement. Show your hair off grrrl! It&#39;s too beautiful to keep caged in!

lol for real though, that&#39;s pretty messed up. You should NOT have to show your hair if you don&#39;t want to, and I really don&#39;t think having a piece of SCARF on your head wrapped up in a bun drives customers away. So what&#39;s the big deal?

It&#39;s like they raped you!

But oh well, you have three options:

1. Deal with it (stop wearing the wraps at work)
2. Make a complaint about the policy and show them that there is nothing that says you can&#39;t wear a head scarf...unless it just makes an exception that&#39;s for religious reasons and your scarf is not for religious reasons and therefore you&#39;d just have to deal with it.
3. Find another job. :/ (lol)

Oh maybe a 4th option: SUE &#39;EM!!! :lol:

monappy28
07-22-2007, 04:19 PM
I definitely agree with going to HR and checking the policy, if it&#39;s not in writing, then I would definitely question their motives. At my job, I know we can&#39;t wear them because there is a rule big as day for the kids and staff that no head apparel is allowed in the buildings(this is due to gang related problems amongst our residents). I also know that some jobs that require you wear a uniform als have certain other rules that come along with the uniform because the idea is to be, well, &#39;uniform&#39;. So I would check it out before getting all upset, but I agree that if you have been wearing them all this time, why no do they say you cannot. If that was the case, you should have been pulled aside about it the first time you wore it.......So do your homework, and then react! :D

grwingslwly
07-22-2007, 05:13 PM
If you do decide to stop wearing the scarves, I would suggest that you rock a beautiful napptural hairstyle that they would be even more uncomfortable with. Should I suggest a bangin chunky fro if you are able and comfortable to do so. But then that might bring up the subject of "grooming and looking neat and cleaned".

napturallyme
07-22-2007, 05:22 PM

[/b]

For the type of work you are doing, I don&#39;t see a problem with wearing a headwrap and yes it does match your uniform.

I guess you can ask them to show you the policy against it, but because you are young, they may not like you challenging them on it and would probably tell you to comply or not work there.

miss.candace
07-22-2007, 06:02 PM
If you do decide to stop wearing the scarves, I would suggest that you rock a beautiful napptural hairstyle that they would be even more uncomfortable with. Should I suggest a bangin chunky fro if you are able and comfortable to do so. But then that might bring up the subject of "grooming and looking neat and cleaned".
[/b]

lol That is definitely something that I would do. :lol: :D But what can you do with a TWA? hmmm.....

O && I love your screen name.

honeybunch2k5
07-22-2007, 06:21 PM
It seems to me that alot of you are getting called out after working at these places at least 6 or 7 years. It seems to me that they might be a little paranoid that you look muslim, considering the 9/11 incident. Idk. Or maybe they could just be a**holes.
[/b]
I didnt think of that...

EarthyDiva
07-22-2007, 06:29 PM
1st off your headwrap looks great. I&#39;m sure it also serves to keep the sun off your hair as well, (health/safety conscious).

Boo on them for being culturally insensitive.

You mentioned that the manual said that whatever you wore on your head had to go with the uniform.

So could you wear a hat, a hat with a feather...It sounds to me like they are leaving themselves open for legal trouble by not clearly defining the policy and then making arbitrary decisions like today I don&#39;t like your wrap.

Oh let me stop know before I get myself all worked up.

Good luck at your job!
ED

CatSuga
07-22-2007, 06:34 PM
[/b]

Well, tell them it&#39;s for religious reasons.

AutumnRain
07-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Wow... I feel for you. I would have been so angry at this... sad as well. :hug:

EmpressRi
07-22-2007, 07:33 PM
[/b]

umm, how do you look muslim? and number two, i highly doubt that&#39;s the case, (considering the ignorant people in new york arent targeting african americans since it wasnt them that held up the plane, but i digress), but those people are just being schmucks.

IwantLocs
07-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Have You discussed this issue with your mom or guardian? What was their advice on this issue?

skchocolate
07-22-2007, 07:52 PM
This happened to me during an exhibition stepshow and everybpdy was wearing different hairstyles. It was in the beginning of my loc journey and I was sporting a lovely headwrap. One of my sisters asked me was I going to remove my headwrap for the show. When I told her no others began to make a big deal out of it. Not because it didnt go with the show but just because they dont like them. I WENT OFF! I told them that I was tired of comments about my hair and natural hair in general. I dont go around pointing out perm burn, head scabs, and revealed weave tracks. Most of the hairstyles I see ladies wear I dont agree with but I keep my feelings to myself. I never had a problem with how I wanted to wear My hair again.

I think that this is a cultural issue and thats why it irritates me so much. Since when is your culture and religious/ spiritual beliefs not equally important and related. I believe because you are young and at such a low position it has given them the ammo to say and do what they are doing. But if you were a 40 year old African American District Manager with locks long enough to wrap around their throats im sure they wouldnt have much to say. (Not until you left the room N E Way)

Check me out at: http://public.fotki.com/skchoclate/
no pw

Samielle1
07-22-2007, 09:20 PM
umm, how do you look muslim? and number two, i highly doubt that&#39;s the case, (considering the ignorant people in new york arent targeting african americans since it wasnt them that held up the plane, but i digress), but those people are just being schmucks.
[/b]

I don&#39;t know how a muslim looks, that&#39;s what they&#39;re probably thinking.

ReginaCarter
07-23-2007, 03:45 AM
For the type of work you are doing, I don&#39;t see a problem with wearing a headwrap and yes it does match your uniform.

I guess you can ask them to show you the policy against it, but because you are young, they may not like you challenging them on it and would probably tell you to comply or not work there.
[/b]
^^what she said.
Most jobs wont allow u to wear headwraps, unless is for religious reasons ,although they allowed u to wear one for a while doesnt mean u were entitled to,perhaps they had complaints about your headwrap from some cooworkers,supervisors etc,the fact that it looks good on you and matches with your uniform DOES NOT mean u Can wear it ,Please make sure u discuss this with them in a polite way, showing proof that the company policy doesnt state anything about not wearing a headwrap.

My comment about showing your hair was made after reading the other thread opened in this section about u disliking your hair .If it s just a matter of style it shouldnt be Vital for u to get out the house with a headwrap .Thats just my opinion . :)

deecoily
07-23-2007, 04:10 AM
Firstly, I think you look adorable. Neat and professional. I would not have a problem with you wearing your style in my workplace. When I employed people at a corporation I did send an employee home ONCE to change - she had a skirt so short you could see her future. KWIM? Gross.

If there is a policy against wearing hair coverings, so be it. You will have to comply. But if there is not, you can continue to wear your scarves as you see fit. Out of curiosity, I would wear the black one again and see if you get the same reaction.

I also think THEY think you may look like you are of a particular faith, which MAY be something they aren&#39;t comfortable with - in other words, they would not have hired you had you been wearing your wrap in the job interview but would never say that out loud...

~Dee~

caramelaggie
07-23-2007, 05:18 AM
I just wanted to say that I think you look adorable with your headwrap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also since you have a job cleaning what is the big deal. I don’t pull my hair up but with that kind of job I might have gone ahead and sported the headwrap as well. I really do think that that HR and your parents should get involved. I don’t see the big deal. Plus this is not a career for you so what if you have to put up a fight. Its not like its going to follow you for the rest of your life.

Have you talked to your parents about this?

EmpressRi
07-23-2007, 06:05 AM
I don&#39;t know how a muslim looks, that&#39;s what they&#39;re probably thinking.
[/b]

well people that are muslim look like you and me, but if you mean their attire, then she looks nowhere near so.

Samielle1
07-23-2007, 06:43 AM
well people that are muslim look like you and me, but if you mean their attire, then she looks nowhere near so.
[/b]

nevamind.

miss.candace
07-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Have You discussed this issue with your mom or guardian? What was their advice on this issue?
[/b]

Actually, I told my dad about it. He got upset and said white people just don&#39;t understand black hair. He was really mad. But I have to go in to work tomorrow. I think I&#39;m going to wear my black headwrap again && see what they have to say about that. If there&#39;s a problem, I&#39;m going to whip out the manual and highlight the whole dress code && appearance section.

&& to ReginaCarter: in the other post, I still did not say I was ashamed of my hair or that I didn&#39;t like it. I just said I didn&#39;t like its current length on me. I still love my napps though. ;)

caramelaggie
07-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Please keep us posted on how things go.

SunriseSunset
07-24-2007, 04:47 PM
[/b]

The poster knows that BUT some people see people wearing a heardscarf or even a turban (I know, different religion), and assume that the person is a Muslim. People just associate a heardscarf with a Muslim woman, then they think of the Muslim woman totally covered up and then they start to feel nervous. It&#39;s stupid, but that&#39;s how it is.

She didn&#39;t mean it in an offensive way. Like this poster:

I also think THEY think you may look like you are of a particular faith, which MAY be something they aren&#39;t comfortable with - in other words, they would not have hired you had you been wearing your wrap in the job interview but would never say that out loud...

~Dee~
[/b]

Lexxe
07-24-2007, 05:50 PM
[/b]

It doesn&#39;t really matter how a Muslim looks, it only matters what ignorant people think a Muslim looks like. And for those folks headwrap = Muslim and Muslim = terrorist.

I wouldn&#39;t be surprised if that played into a lot of people&#39;s predjudice against headwraps and scarves.

A LOT of Sikhs were beaten up after 9/11, and a general scattering of Indians and a few random light-brown people.

miss.candace
07-24-2007, 06:34 PM
ANYway....besides all this talk of whether or not I look like a muslim......

I went to work today wearing the black headwrap. They didn&#39;t say anything about it. :dunno:

Hadasah
07-24-2007, 06:38 PM
^ :lol:
Okay, lol. :P So, what&#39;s the final analysis?

Lexxe
07-24-2007, 06:51 PM
ANYway....besides all this talk of whether or not I look like a muslim......

I went to work today wearing the black headwrap. They didn&#39;t say anything about it. :dunno:
[/b]

Sorry... I just thought "headwraps and why some people might have a problem with them" was relevant to the topic of your headwrap and why some people might have a problem with it, because it might help you decide how to address it.

I&#39;m glad they say anything to you today.

miss.candace
07-24-2007, 06:54 PM
^ :lol:
Okay, lol. :P So, what&#39;s the final analysis?
[/b]

My final analysis? The white one was a problem because it stood out && was noticeable to the guests. The black one was a lot more subtle && thereby went unnoticed. I am still allowed to wear it, just not the white one.

AutumnRain
07-24-2007, 07:25 PM
[b]Glad everything worked out for you sis! :)

anitrah
07-24-2007, 11:42 PM
I work in at a hospital (non clinical) and the hospital has a dress code. I can not wear headwraps unless its for religious beliefs

EmpressRi
07-25-2007, 06:32 AM
The poster knows that BUT some people see people wearing a heardscarf or even a turban (I know, different religion), and assume that the person is a Muslim. People just associate a heardscarf with a Muslim woman, then they think of the Muslim woman totally covered up and then they start to feel nervous. It&#39;s stupid, but that&#39;s how it is.

She didn&#39;t mean it in an offensive way. Like this poster:
[/b]

i wasnt offended by samielle1, i think she&#39;s a sweetheart. but i was just pointing out how does someone LOOK like a religion. it&#39;s like looking catholic, and you dont acquire a physical trait with being muslim since it&#39;s a religion.

BUT i got what she was saying. but believe me, if you come around my way, a bunch of ladies and girls wear the scarf the same way the OP does and they aren&#39;t muslim by any means.

OP glad things worked out for ya! At the end of your work day you should change into the white headscarf and walk out, JUST to tee them off :lol:

Ize such a troublemaker :P

LilShortRib
07-25-2007, 06:37 AM
Did management tell you that the black headwrap was okay or did you just come to this conclusion after switching back to it?

I am glad things worked out...

JustAnotherNappyGirl
07-25-2007, 07:44 AM
i wasnt offended by samielle1, i think she&#39;s a sweetheart. but i was just pointing out how does someone LOOK like a religion. it&#39;s like looking catholic, and you dont acquire a physical trait with being muslim since it&#39;s a religion. [/b]

You&#39;re arguing against a statement that no one made...no one here said that the "headwrap=Muslim" perception is valid, just that it exists.

caramelaggie
07-25-2007, 08:02 AM
Glad that things worked out!

EmpressRi
07-25-2007, 09:38 AM
You&#39;re arguing against a statement that no one made...no one here said that the "headwrap=Muslim" perception is valid, just that it exists.
[/b]

umm, she said that the OP *looked* muslim, which was what i was referring to thank you very much!

Bejewelle
07-25-2007, 03:02 PM
miss.cadace, you look charming in your white headwrap - which MATCHES your uniform so I don&#39;t know why they had to make a fuss!! Glad things are okay now anyway *sigh* :)

JustAnotherNappyGirl
07-25-2007, 03:10 PM
umm, she said that the OP *looked* muslim, which was what i was referring to thank you very much!
[/b]

((sigh))...Samielle1 never said the OP looked muslim...she said the OP&#39;s bosses might have that perception:

It seems to me that alot of you are getting called out after working at these places at least 6 or 7 years. It seems to me that they might be a little paranoid that you look muslim, considering the 9/11 incident. Idk. Or maybe they could just be a**holes.[/b]

She certainly didn&#39;t indicate that this is her view - she even called it paranoid!

Cocodrea
07-25-2007, 04:55 PM
I work in at a hospital (non clinical) and the hospital has a dress code. I can not wear headwraps unless its for religious beliefs
[/b]

First of all Candice you look absolutely beautiful with that wrap on. I agree with Dee I wouldn&#39;t have a problem with it either. I work at a hospital as well and my coworker wears a multi-colored wrap at least 3 times a week with no static. IMO that is just as bad as not hiring someone or reprimanding them for wearing braids and afros. I&#39;m sorry that happened to you. That really pisses me off. If they are going to forbid one wrap they all should be forbidden (since it&#39;s supposed to be "THE POLICY"). That is some frackanackle bull as Michael Baisden would say. Keep your head up hun. :wub:

edited for spelling :blush:

curlycoilyfroily
07-25-2007, 05:30 PM
My final analysis? The white one was a problem because it stood out && was noticeable to the guests. The black one was a lot more subtle && thereby went unnoticed. I am still allowed to wear it, just not the white one.
[/b]

:rolleyes: IDIOTS! At least you can still wear the other one...I guess... :dunno:

EmpressRi
07-26-2007, 06:32 AM
((sigh))...Samielle1 never said the OP looked muslim...she said the OP&#39;s bosses might have that perception:
She certainly didn&#39;t indicate that this is her view - she even called it paranoid!
[/b]

I implore you to look at my original question since you are getting touchy on a PUBLIC FORUM. See, what you forget is, when you make comments on a PUBLIC forum you leave yourself open. I just asked tactfully, how does one look muslim. I even told my fiance about this and he even got :huh: and said, how the hell do you look muslim? What does a muslim look like? That&#39;s the point I was trying to make.

Now if you&#39;ll excuse me, off I go to finish my ice cold cranberry juice.

Cocodrea
07-26-2007, 01:22 PM
:unsure: :(

purity28
08-17-2007, 12:42 PM
I&#39;m glad it worked out as well. I wear headwraps a lot. I actually wore a headwrap for about 3 weeks to work. I have so many different wraps colors, patterns. Most of the people really like them, including my chairman he said he thought it looked really good. But one of my coworkers is such a mess says " oh wow what&#39;s this..." I just looked at her...then she comes into my area and asked me so when are we going to not where this??? mind you she is just that a coworker...I told her I will stop wearing it when I feel like not wearing it...her eyes bugged a bit...On Monday I rocked my big ol Afro....and she hasn&#39;t said a word about my hair since. She will try to chat with me but no more hair conversations.

Some people can&#39;t understand why on earth would you wear your hair that way....I&#39;m thinking why on earth would you wear your hair with all those chemicals and glue. God gave me this hair I&#39;m wearing it and loving it and this is what he chose for me.

Ms-gg
09-07-2007, 08:40 AM
M Candace you look so cute with your headwrap :wub:

Sinamin2
11-05-2010, 05:06 PM
miss.cadace, you look charming in your white headwrap - which MATCHES your uniform so I don't know why they had to make a fuss!! Glad things are okay now anyway *sigh* :)

LuV-ur head rap.. Unless I see it in written, I wouldn't have taken it off. But then not everyone can't do that I understand. But still it gotta be in the dress code in writting.

napcurl
03-03-2011, 04:53 AM
Well... if you have been wearing a black one, they probably didn't look close enough to see that it was a wrap and not your actual hair... If the white one stood out and it was obvious that it was a wrap, then that's probably why they said that... Sorry mami... :( My job is like that too... Apparently my hair is too "ethnic"... Just shake it off and K.I.M....

Ditto... blame the Southern District of New York court. They decided in 1981 that companies are allowed to do that. The case was Rogers v. American Airlines and the court said it was ok for the company to ban braids. Now companies can ban just about anything so long as they tell every one that they can't do it.

but hey... maybe God wants you to wear your hair in a natural state protected by a hair scarf... isn't that religious? ;)