PDA

View Full Version : Leaning Towards Locking

blkbuttaflies
07-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Well napptural family,

I think I finally decided to begin the loc process. I was planning to wait a month or two and get some lock extensions to skip all the ackward stages, but I did some itty bitty two strand twist on my hair and fell in love with them :wub: . This morning I decided that these are the locs that i want to begin my journey with. But I have a question, do my locs look to small? I want small locs but not locs that are so small that it will cause breakage. I have another question, if I latch hook every 3-4 weeks is it okay if I palm roll every 2-5 weeks so that my locs can have a manicured look? I don't know how to post a pic on this site so if you click on my name, there is a pic in my profile.

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Hadasah
07-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Hi blkbuttaflies, the general guideline is that the locks should have the thickness of a pencil/index finger/pinky, unless you're talking about sisterlocks/braidlocks. Maybe you can compare your hair to other people here that have sisterlocks. :dunno: I don't think you need to latch every three weeks; you get enough noticeable growth every 6-8 weeks. I'm sure someone else can answer your questions about the palm rolling, but I think your locks will be neat enough by latching.

delleaux
07-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Well napptural family,

I think I finally decided to begin the loc process. I was planning to wait a month or two and get some lock extensions to skip all the ackward stages, but I did some itty bitty two strand twist on my hair and fell in love with them :wub: . This morning I decided that these are the locs that i want to begin my journey with. But I have a question, do my locs look to small? I want small locs but not locs that are so small that it will cause breakage. I have another question, if I latch hook every 3-4 weeks is it okay if I palm roll every 2-5 weeks so that my locs can have a manicured look? I don't know how to post a pic on this site so if you click on my name, there is a pic in my profile.

[/b]

Honestly, you do not need extensions for locking. Stages of locking is inevitable. Go to dreadlock.com and read on the certain methods. They will give you pros and cons. Stages of locking is not awkward unless you see it that way. Locking is a slow process that the hair when left to its own devices will intwined, mesh, and lock. Some are rather impatient and can't keep their hands out of their hair or inadvertently hinder the locking process by using the wrong products or poor maintenance or both. There is a wealth of information on this thread particularly albums of many lock wearers perhaps you may find someone that will inspire you. If you desire the "manicured" look of locks then latching may be right for you because palmrolling does not last and if you can't deal with the fuzzy roots you will be frustrated. With both methods you should not over do it. every 2-3 weeks is a bit excessive. You will find your locks thinning and possible breakage. You will begin to start knowing your hair as your progression of locking occurs. Welcome to lockdom feel gree to ask questions and review some threads here. :)

blkbuttaflies
07-22-2007, 04:58 AM
Hi blkbuttaflies, the general guideline is that the locks should have the thickness of a pencil/index finger/pinky, unless you're talking about sisterlocks/braidlocks. Maybe you can compare your hair to other people here that have sisterlocks. :dunno: I don't think you need to latch every three weeks; you get enough noticeable growth every 6-8 weeks. I'm sure someone else can answer your questions about the palm rolling, but I think your locks will be neat enough by latching.
[/b]

Thank you for your response! I really appreciate it. I agree, I tried finger latching some of the starter twist last night and they looked very manicured.

Honestly, you do not need extensions for locking. Stages of locking is inevitable. Go to dreadlock.com and read on the certain methods. They will give you pros and cons. Stages of locking is not awkward unless you see it that way. Locking is a slow process that the hair when left to its own devices will intwined, mesh, and lock. Some are rather impatient and can't keep their hands out of their hair or inadvertently hinder the locking process by using the wrong products or poor maintenance or both. There is a wealth of information on this thread particularly albums of many lock wearers perhaps you may find someone that will inspire you. If you desire the "manicured" look of locks then latching may be right for you because palmrolling does not last and if you can't deal with the fuzzy roots you will be frustrated. With both methods you should not over do it. every 2-3 weeks is a bit excessive. You will find your locks thinning and possible breakage. You will begin to start knowing your hair as your progression of locking occurs. Welcome to lockdom feel gree to ask questions and review some threads here. :)
[/b]

Thanks for your response and the info! I am sorry if my awkward comment comes across offensive. I just meant that initially I planned on getting extention locs because I wanted to acheive a certain look instantly- without the wait.

monette
07-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Well napptural family,

[/b]

Hi Blkbuttaflies-
Your twists are really cute :) . I can't see them close enough to judge the true size, but I can say that my comb coils started off rather small (not quite as small as your twists) and they are now about the width of a pencil. So I would say that if you want your locs to be small, you're on the right path.

As for maintenance, I would not palmroll or latch as often as you stated. I agree with Delleaux. If you are going for the manicured look, latching is right for you. Good look and welcome!

Ebonique
07-22-2007, 09:55 AM
It's hard to see the size of your twists from the pic you posted. Regardless of what method you use to retwist, I think every 2-3 weeks is too often. I've had mine almost 2 years that I have palm rolled and in the beginning I only went to have it retwisted about every 6 weeks. Now I go about every 3 months.

delleaux
07-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Thank you for your response! I really appreciate it. I agree, I tried finger latching some of the starter twist last night and they looked very manicured.
Thanks for your response and the info! I am sorry if my awkward comment comes across offensive. I just meant that initially I planned on getting extention locs because I wanted to acheive a certain look instantly- without the wait.
[/b]

Oh no it wasn't offensive! I was just saying that's all. You will love your hair If you have about 5=6 inches of hair you can back comb them into an instant lock like mine and just by pass the raveling portion but whatever you choose rest assure you keep your locks clean well managed I promise you your locks will flourish! :D :D

blkbuttaflies
07-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Thank you all for your responses, i decided to redo my starter locks. After searching some foktis and seeing that some bradelockers had locks my size or smaller, I decided to redo my locs. I braided the base and twisted the ends. Giving most of them a pencil sized base.