PDA

View Full Version : Ok Everyone I want to know......

Wise1
03-04-2004, 05:02 PM
:doh I've never heard of this. I see some members speak out against them as separatist. I see some ppl include them in their signatures.

What is this?
who made it up?
and
why is it used?

Help a sista out I just want to understand what I'm reading here.

Wise1
03-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Okay no replies I'll come back

Wise1
03-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Is this a Taboo topic and I just don't know? b/c a lot of ppl are veiwing this and no one is replying. If it is Taboo hey I didn't know but I'd still like to have my question answered.

rockinlocs
03-04-2004, 06:23 PM
Basic jist of it:

Started by Andre' (Oprah's stylist)

4 - nappy/coily hair
3 - curly hair
2 - wavy hair
1 - straight hair

I guess the "a, b, c" is supposed to be the degree of nap, curl, wave or straightness. I think you can find out more by going to www.naturallycurly.com although someone else may know and chime in with the direct link to andre's site (which I don't know)

I don't think it's necessarily "taboo", but just moreso that it's one of those topics that's been discussed to death and folks would NORMALLY say, "You can do a search on it" but since the search feature isn't working...

And...it's very normal to get hundreds of views to a topic but little or no replies. That's just a NP thang! :lol

Wise1
03-04-2004, 06:29 PM
Thats interesting. :-P I'm not even willing to put my loc into a category like that. once your hair locs it's all nappy anyway. Isn't that what we wanted? :lol :lol :lol

rockinlocs
03-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Wise1@Mar 4 2004, 03:29 PM
Thats interesting. :-P I'm not even willing to put my loc into a category like that. once your hair locs it's all nappy anyway. Isn't that what we wanted? :lol :lol :lol
Not necessarily. I mean, if someone post-locking has a certain hair type that let's say fits into the 2 or 1 category, no matter what, their hair isn't gonna be considered "nappy". And, their hair texture will probably need certain measures to be taken in order to start and maintain their locs that someone with more kink to their hair would not have to.

I don't know his reason for typing the hair...I guess so that we could have a "better" system of categorizing hair other than just saying "nappy, curly, wavy, straight" because many of us have more than one texture.

Someone with "type 4 hair" may have zigzags when you look at one single strand while another person who also has "type 4 hair" may have a tight, spring-like coil when observing a single strand.

This is why his system does not work because you can't fit all hair types into a mold like that and call it something.