PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry 8830 Vs. Treo 755

pharmlee
07-24-2007, 12:12 AM
I want a new pda phone...but I'm not sure which one is better. Can anyone weigh in with their own experiences/advice??? Thanks!

pharmlee
07-24-2007, 03:14 PM
No one owns these phones??? :(

Applejacks
07-25-2007, 06:58 AM
I own the Treo and I love it. Never had any problems with it and it supplies all my PDA needs. I can't compare it to the new blackberry though!

pharmlee
07-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks for letting me know! :)

atticsalt8686
08-04-2007, 12:48 PM
I've had a blackberry and a number of palm pdas. I would say go with the Blackberry because Palm's struggling as a company and the OS on the Treos is old and very basic compared to the OS on the phoneless Palm PDAs. RIM is doing well and is more popular so I think there is more software out. Just look at the data plans though. For AT&T the Blackberry plan is outrageously expensive so I ended up returning my Blackberry and getting an iPhone.

sandye1957
08-04-2007, 03:01 PM
You wouldn't believe how much time I have spent researching pda/smartphones. I think I have settled on the Treo 680 for the following reasons:

-I need to use it mostly at work (Windows environment) to keep track of my calendar, to-do's, contacts and it will sync with Outlook.

-I want to be able to use it at home (Mac environment) without buying a third party app like missing sync which I would have to use with a pocket pc (the reason I didn't choose the Treo 750 beside the fact it costs too much).

-I am used to the Palm interface as I currently use a Tungsten E but I want to consolidate the number of gadgets I am carrying hence the search for a pda phone.

I almost bought the iPhone but I came to my senses and asked myself what is it I really need and the task management feature is very important to me but the iPhone doesn't have that--yet.

Ask yourself what do you really need your phone to do. Will you use it to access email. If so, can you get your email on the Blackberry either through an Exchange server or through the Blackberry service? Compare all the other features against what you need it to do and the decision will be a little easier to make.

pharmlee
08-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Thank you both! You ladies gave me some valuable info...I'm still debating over what to get so this helps :)

sandye1957
08-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Let us know what you decide.

MsTee
08-09-2007, 11:14 AM
I don't have either of these specific models. But I have a Palm Z22 and likes the OS. However, when I wanted to upgrade to a Smartphone, the price of the Treos were just too expensive, so I switched from Sprint to T-Mobile and got a Blackberry Pearl. I love it because it's functional and serves all of my organizing needs. It really depends on what you prefer, what needs you have of the device, and what price you're willing to pay for the device AND the plan.

Check out phonescoop.com and cnet.com for reviews. HTH

BKjc41907
08-09-2007, 12:38 PM
i :wub: :wub: password keeper

pharmlee
08-09-2007, 04:43 PM
[/b]

What's that?

MsTee
08-10-2007, 07:09 AM
[/b]

Oooh, I do too!

Pharmlee, it's a Blackberry feature that lets you store your user names and passwords for any websites, software, etc. that requires such info. It's great to have, especially if you have many user names/passwords that you tend to forget or mix up!

pharmlee
08-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Ok, so I ended up getting the Blackberry 8830. Thank y'all for the advice!!! :D

GoldyLocs
09-10-2007, 08:31 AM
I have the Treo 680 and have had Palm PDA's since they came out. Prior to Palm I had a Wizard and a Zaurus PDA by Sharp. They were so the bomb! With respect to the Treo vs the Blackberry I think it boils down to a matter of personal preference. The two devices are looking more and more similar as time goes by. I love the Palm OS but that's because I'm so used to it. I believe it's the 755 that's virtually the same as the 680 with double the memory or something. Did you research using CNET? It appears that the Blackberry always ranks higher than Treo. Lastly, I find that folks on the East coast seem to gravitate more towards the Blackberry while folks on the West seem to gravitate towards the Treo. Of course, the last statement is undocumented. I hope this helps. Good luck with your decision and let us know which one you decided on and why. :D Here's the link: CNET Smart Phone Comparison (http://www.cnet.com/4244-5_1-0.html?query=smart+phone&tag=srch&target=nw).

ETA: I get my email from both my AOL account and my Verizon DSL account on my Treo.
I had the Treo 650 but passed it on to hubby who could care less about electronic toys:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/GoldyLocs/DSC00172.jpg

When I saw the Treo in red I had to get the 680! :P :wub:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/GoldyLocs/LeopardStuffFridge019.jpg

BKjc41907
09-11-2007, 08:04 AM
good choice
I have the pearl- I think the 8830 is the pearl without the 2 letters to a button thing
The curve is coming out at the end of this month and I have been waiting