PDA

View Full Version : Job Interview

Byrd17
03-04-2004, 10:19 PM
I have my first job interview with locs tomorrow. I am a little concerned. I have two year old, shoulder lenghth locs. I plan to pull them back, but am still very nervous. When I first started my locs I said that if people didn't hire me it was their loss. Now that I have student loan payments coming up I am worried. I guess I am just looking for a little encouragemnt.

Thanks

Byrd

Oh, the interview is for an HR position in ATL. I live in Nashville now. I am hoping that employers will be more open to my locs there.

splendidlox
03-05-2004, 12:22 AM
:bis

Byrd17, I have been there. I am a HR Manager who went through the exact same thing a few months ago. Search for my post on this board somewhere not long ago. At first I was interviewing with wigs - but ended up leaving that thing on my front seat of my car. I am currently the HR Manager of a major sports apparel company in Memphis. Corporate is obviously not 'southern' based - i.e. they are up north and a bit more receptive than those of us in the south.

In short - DON'T BE SCURRRRRRRED GIRL. If you are - they will sense it. Hold your crown up high and forget about the difference you think they may see in your hair. Instead know that you will land the job because the difference in your abilities when compared to the other applicants.

:rainfro

(box knock em out (box

Beryl
03-05-2004, 01:43 AM
Be confident and you'll be fine. You are beautiful, talented, and the right person for the job YOU want.

exhort
03-05-2004, 02:29 AM
Know just how you feel. That was the reason why I did not loc my hair many many year ago. However 2+ years ago I reached the point where I realized that I could no longer live my life in people's preconceived notions. I am fully locked and living nappily ever after. If you show others you are confident and your resume and credentials speak volumes, then what you want is yours. Being and living who you are is important to the quality of your life. Peace and God's Blessings

starchild
03-05-2004, 01:32 PM
oh, byrd my fellow Nashvillian, I know the feeling but Atlanta has more diversity than Nashville so you should be fine. Hold your head up and talk positively and the attention should be centered around your abilites and not looks.

Geminibrown78
03-05-2004, 04:35 PM
Congrats and good luck! I'm going through the same thing. Your confidence will show as long as you believe in yourself.

Tyzach
03-05-2004, 05:49 PM
I've been in your shoes as well. I did not think that I would get hired because I had locs. My interview was for a government position and they hired me. I did eventually cut my locs :-? (thats another story) I am regrowing my hair now :) You'll be fine :thumbsup

flynppy
03-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Let me tell, having locs does not matter, For a while I had the mentality that if I had locs they would not hire me in my field (accounting) but it is not true, I have locs now and I am in the midst of interviewing and things are going great. You will do great, just be yourself. :thumbsup

Byrd17
03-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Sorry I have not been able to respond sooner. THANK YOU ALL, so much for you encouragement. I jsut came back from the interview and it went wonderfully. I believe they will make an offer, but I will not be accepting it. The company basically does not have an HR department and a lot of illegals. I am not even going to put myself in that position. I was realy concerned until this morning. Then on my drive down I got over it. This was a good experience for me and I am diving in head first now. Keep me in your prayers and thanks again.

Byrd

GoldyLocs
03-06-2004, 01:11 AM
You go girl! Your response to everyone was so nice. Glad to hear that from now on you will be going in head first. Exude your confidence. God has not given you a spirit of fear! You will do well wherever you decide to go! :app

niknik
03-06-2004, 01:18 AM
I feel you. I am in the same position. I am trying to find an internship at a pharmacy for more expeience. I try not to think of it in a negative way. I just think that if they want me and I'm qualified, the job is mine. If not, oh well, there will be another. I would rather be in an environment where they accept everything about me anyways.

thenewme
03-06-2004, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by exhort@Mar 4 2004, 10:29 PM
Know just how you feel. That was the reason why I did not loc my hair many many year ago. However 2+ years ago I reached the point where I realized that I could no longer live my life in people's preconceived notions. I am fully locked and living nappily ever after. If you show others you are confident and your resume and credentials speak volumes, then what you want is yours. Being and living who you are is important to the quality of your life. Peace and God's Blessings
:thumbsup