PDA

View Full Version : Mildew In Locs

blkbuttaflies
07-27-2007, 10:27 AM
I haven't done a search yet, so please forgive me if a similar thread has already been started. I know I am probably being anal :blush: , but I can't help asking this cause I love my babies and I just want them to be well!
Mildew in locs is not a problem for me yet and I hope it never is. I have encountered too many people with moldy smelling locs, which makes me want to take precautions now. I just started my babies two weeks ago and I wash them and oil them daily. In their unstretched state they hang about three or four inches from my neck/blouse collar area. When stretched they hit the neckline/shirt collar area(i have major shrinkage).
I have two questions:
1) When the locs grow and fall naturally on the shirt collar area unstretched, will that increase my chances for mold or mildew growing in my locs? I am asking because I think I read in a hair book or heard somewhere that people who with long/ medium locks, who wash their hair , everyday,and allow the wet hair to be on their clothes have a higher chance of growing mildew in their locs.

I was wondering if this is a myth, because my babies seemed to love :wub: :wub: :wub: being washed everday and I would hate to have to change this hair care routine months down the road when they began to do their thing and grow and florish.

2) I also was wondering do people with larger locs run into the above mentioned problem more so than people with smaller locs, since their locs probably take more time to dry? Or to be more precise What causes mold in locs and how do you prevent mold in locs?

Please share your advice, experiences, and inquiries,
I am anxiously awaiting being enlightened!

Peace and Blessings,

Blkbuttaflies :)

Laluna
07-27-2007, 10:47 AM
i'm not locked, but have come across some moldy smelling locks myself.

interested in the responses.

:pop:

SweetHoneyLocs
07-27-2007, 01:16 PM
I don't have locs, however I have always heard try to keep them dry as possible. Here is a link I found that explains the mildew issue: http://www.ehow.com/tips_17122_2.html.

http://www.huminature.com/dreads.html#musty HTH

LBellatrix
07-27-2007, 03:18 PM
I'mma be lazy too and copy one of my responses from one of the many threads on this subject. ;) Mildew usually (BUT NOT ALWAYS) happens when locs are allowed to stay wet for a long time ("long" being relative).

Never once have I gone to sleep with wet locs and yet I still started having mildew issues after maybe the first 18 months or so. That's because I have the kind of hair that hangs on to water HARD. Up to that point I'd been air-drying with no problems, but as my hair got longer, the water was staying in there longer, until one day I was like, "What's that smell???"

I've done the Sea Breeze/tea tree thing (soak locs in Sea Breeze, let sit for about 20 minutes, wash with a tea-tree shampoo) and that usually works. The big thing for me is to give my locs no more than 4 hours to get dry. What that means right now is that I give my superabsorbent towel a real workout and then, after an hour or so, if my tips are still too wet (remembering that gravity causes water to travel down the length of the loc) I'll bust out my little $9.99 Vidal Sassoon blow dryer.

This is what works FOR ME. You do have folks on here who air-dry super long locs with no problems. I ain't one of them, unfortunately.

Hadasah
07-27-2007, 04:10 PM
^ What she said. Don't leave them wet for too long. My microfiber towel from Qhemet Biologics is awesome for drying quickly. Someone else who has thick locks can chime in on how thickness affects drying time, but I think it does. Correct me if I'm wrong.
As for leaving wet locks on the clothes, I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true because you're not letting the locks dry.

Poetic_Butterfly
07-27-2007, 05:53 PM
I had lock build up during the first five months of locking my hair. I never encountered mildew, but my loctician used sea breeze and jot water to take care of the build up. I encountered build up from putting products directly into my locs. I thought that I could use Vitamin E on my locs without spraying it.

Peace,
Rasta

blkbuttaflies
07-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice , I really appreciate it! :) . It was really helpful.

Does anyone know if using a hand held blow dryer every other day on low heat is damaging to locs?

And I don't use any products in my hair except , shampoo used in my shampooing, ion spray on leave in conditioner, and some proclaim oil or vitamin e oil - which ever one I pick up first.
Do you think this daily hair care regime seems like it can cause potential build up?

Dovechild20
07-28-2007, 04:35 AM
Hubby and I battled mildew hard until I bought us a microfiber towel from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Now, there is no hint of wetness or mildew whatsoever after our washes...only the yummy smell of our shampoo, conditioner, or oil. :)

blkbuttaflies
07-28-2007, 06:13 AM
^ It seems like microfiber towels are part of the magic answerfor you and Hadasah. I guess I will be investing in some!!!! Thanks for the response.

EarthyDiva
07-28-2007, 06:46 AM
For those who have locs that hold onto water...Does anyone notice that the size (diameter) or lenght of one's locs impacts the susceptibility to mildew?

ED

delleaux
07-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Is it safe to assume the thicker your locks the more likely you can encounter mildew in your locks. My locks are about pencil width. I have been pretty fortunate not to encounter that. I do make sure I use tea trea oil and dry my hair thorough as possible. I avoid washing my hair late in the evening unless I am going to work. So far no problems. Acv rinses I would think that would help too. Wow!

Ebonique
07-28-2007, 07:46 PM
I add tea tree oil to my bottle of shampoo and wash my locs with it as a preventive measure. I dry as much as possible with the towel and a blow dryer until about 80-90% dry then let air dry. If needed I'll blow dry again. Also I wash my hair in the morning hours to allow sufficient drying time and I don't go to bed with wet locs.

ms_rite
07-31-2007, 02:48 AM
Everyone's locks are different, some get away with doing everything I've mentioned below without any problems. But if you are prone to mildrew or you are worried about it please note the following:

- dont go to bed with wet locks
- if you can wash your hair in the morning rather than the evening you should have sufficient time to air dry your hair
- dont tie your hair whilst its still wet
- make sure you get rid of excess water in your hair with a towel as part of your drying process
- if your hair is retaining water for too long, try blow drying on a low setting

NappyChile
08-01-2007, 04:07 PM
<div align="center">

Is it safe to assume the thicker your locks the more likely you can encounter mildew in your locks. My locks are about pencil width. I have been pretty fortunate not to encounter that. I do make sure I use tea trea oil and dry my hair thorough as possible. I avoid washing my hair late in the evening unless I am going to work. So far no problems. Acv rinses I would think that would help too. Wow!
[/b]

ITA .... keep tea tree oil w/water spray bottle handy always!</div>