PDA

View Full Version : Last Name List Part Ii

Pages : [1] 2

soontobenatural
07-30-2007, 02:22 PM
I've read all the pages on the previous thread and find this subject very interesting.

Here's mine:

PATERNAL

Johnson - Sumter, Camden, Boykin SC
Stewart
McCray

My grandfather had a brother that moved to Buffalo that we have never been able to locate. His name was Henry Johnson, but was also called Paris or Parish. We would really like to find something about him, but have come up with nothing but dead ends so far.

MATERNAL

Reid/Reed
Williams

All from Sumter, Camden, and Boykin SC

gemini052887
08-01-2007, 07:46 AM
I don't know much about my family, and I really want to connect with some of my relatives. Im soooo glad someone started this post up again. Here's what I know about my family:

My fathers last name is Person. We are in Georgia and from what I hear there are a lot of us in Ohio
My grandmother on my father's side is Hicks, also from Georgia
My mother's maiden name is Gardiner and she is from Jamaica, but her father lived in london.

If someone out there has anymore info about these folks or if you're kin, hit me up!!!!

Soulsearch72
08-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Paternal

DAVIS- Little Rock Arkansa

Maternal
Crawford- Shreveport, LA

Step Dad
Hodges- Mississippi

I think it's interesting that alof of the Davis have carribean roots. Whenever I'm in the carribean. People think I'm a native. I LOVE that.

tashaboo74
08-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Paternal - Willis, McClendon

Maternal - Swan Allen

Most of my roots are in Mississippi, but I think the families may have originated in Georgia and North Carolina.

Koala_Tee
08-04-2007, 08:42 PM
My Great Granny was a Tate but her maiden name was Bates i believe....from Mississippi

My grand father is a Davis and he is from STL,MO

My biological father is a Hampton from STL,MO

lsubabiedee
08-05-2007, 09:51 AM
I think it's interesting that alof of the Davis have carribean roots. Whenever I'm in the carribean. People think I'm a native. I LOVE that.
[/b]

i didnt even know this until a few years ago

thatblackgirl
08-06-2007, 06:14 AM
My paternal grandfather's last name is Mingo. I am extremely curious as to what the origin is. I have heard it could be African, French, Spanish and even American Indian. How would you suggest I go about finding the orgin of this last name?

Thanx in advance

Soulsearch72
08-06-2007, 09:30 AM
[/b]

I didn't notice until I read this thread. I did notice that 90% of the davis I met were on the browner side. It was extreme..either they had a dark complexion or they were white.

godsprincess
08-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Paternal: James from Kingstree and Sumter SC and abroad
Hunter from Kingstree and Charleston SC
Maternal: Evans from Kingstree and Philadelphia
Adams from Kingstree And Cades and God only knows where else!

misspepa_256
08-07-2007, 08:02 PM
paternal: Grice-Mississippi

maternal: Townsend-Mississippi

my other family lol, Thomspon/Softley-Alabama

lisaju523
08-08-2007, 07:29 AM
my paternal side last name is Julien who are all from Lousianna

my maternal side is Woods, that family is from Atlanta,

Would love connect with either side, I know more about my father's side..creole desent...family still lives in Louisianna... but never met any of them.

delta98
08-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Hello all,

I have been lurking. Really want to nail down my family tree for my sons, but no one wants to help. It is a bit muddled.

So here goes:

Paternal: Cullens grandmother's last name Georgia (Sandersville)
Mitchell grandfather's last name(deceased) (Sandersville,GA
Maternal: Brown grandfather's last name (Georgia (Tocoaa sp?)
Veasy grandmother's maiden name, but her father's last name was Hill (Georgia)

delta98
08-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Hello all,

I have been lurking. Really want to nail down my family tree for my sons, but no one wants to help. It is a bit muddled.

So here goes:

[/b]

I am also trying to trace my husband's paternal family:
Dewberry-West Virginia

mahsoul1
08-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Paternal

Maternal
Crawford- Shreveport, LA

Step Dad
Hodges- Mississippi

[/b]

Wow. I didnt know that. I havent been to the Caribbean but in different parts of Africa, people are always surprised that I was born in America. Where can I find out more about this? Im ultimately interested in tracing all the way back to Africa ( daunting task) but I want to know the stops along the way too. I am going to really get in to this big time when Im done with school.

Maternal: Davis and Washington, Shreveport, La
( also some Davis and Washington relatives moved to Los Angeles and to Chicago---would love to meet them)
Paternal: Maiden, Burnes, Shreveport, La

mahsoul1
08-13-2007, 08:23 PM
[/b]

He lsu!!!! Havent communicated with you in a while. I bet we're related some kinda way. ^_^

BrittanyanJ
08-13-2007, 11:30 PM
My mother's family names are Clay and Rice, from west Alabama; my dad's are Cunningham and O'Neal, from eastern Alabama.

Supposedly I have Comanche and Mexican ancestry, though I definitely don't see it in the last names.

newbianbbw
08-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Paternal:

Jenkins (adopted) name of my dad's biological father was Evans
McClendon was his mother's maiden name
from Macon, Georgia

Maternal:

Foster was my mom's maiden name
Dixon - my grandmother's maiden name
Wilder - my great-grandmother's maiden name
from Lizella, Georgia

(that's as far back as I know).

My paternal grandfather's last name is Mingo. I am extremely curious as to what the origin is. I have heard it could be African, French, Spanish and even American Indian. How would you suggest I go about finding the orgin of this last name?

Thanx in advance
[/b]

My brother's friend's last name is Mingo. Look at this:
Rev. Pete Mingo (http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070814/EDIT01/708140313/1090)

Soulsearch72
08-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Wow. I didnt know that. I havent been to the Caribbean but in different parts of Africa, people are always surprised that I was born in America. Where can I find out more about this? Im ultimately interested in tracing all the way back to Africa ( daunting task) but I want to know the stops along the way too. I am going to really get in to this big time when Im done with school.

( also some Davis and Washington relatives moved to Los Angeles and to Chicago---would love to meet them)
[/b]

Yeah I would get that from Africans too. Dang, i wish I could tell you the part...I'm sooo bad with geography. Shame.... I gotta look for my dad's obituary..and maybe that would help. That's all the history I have on the Davis family.

Big Teezy
08-16-2007, 05:15 AM
I just now seen this thread or this topic so cool.
Anyway.
Here is mine.
Paternal-Thomas from Waverly, Virginia(Sussex County) and Ricketts from Southhampton, Virginia
Maternal- Thomas from St. Louis Mo. and Wharton from St. Louis, Mo.

Blaqdiamond4t
08-16-2007, 06:14 AM
long shot, but here goes.

maternal

brown ~ washington, dc
chichester ~ washington, dc (surrounding area)

paternal

woodyard ~ york, pa

sandye1957
08-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Maternal

Honeywood - Louisiana, Memphis

Paternal

Parker - Memphis
Byrd - Shaw or Vicksburg, Mississippi
Wilson - Mississippi

lsubabiedee
08-16-2007, 08:38 PM
He lsu!!!! Havent communicated with you in a while. I bet we're related some kinda way. ^_^
[/b]

i wouldnt doubt it! the davis line is almost a dead-end for me....kinda...

tweetnaps
08-22-2007, 09:02 AM
webster- baltimore, md mom's side

ridley-newark, nj- father side
ridley-Virginia
watson-virgina

not much info on my family history

mzjayluv
08-26-2007, 07:33 AM
Short of going through all of the post and finding responses of family from Shreveport, LA I decided to just add this post and if any of you guys would like to PM that will be cool.

I'm from Shreveport, LA. Dad's side is Stewart who are also related to Davis', Strange and may be others. His side is huge. When I started my quest a couple years ago I discovered that my great grandfather had 22 children. :huh: He had 11 by my great grandmother and 11 by another woman. I got really disheartened because I knew that would be a major trip and finding out the names of the other 11 would be truly challenging as most if not all are deceased. My dad is still alive with limited memory but my mom's memory is pretty good.

@ Rcoleman - you caught my attention on Shreveport as I knew some Colemans in the Mooringsport, LA area.

My mom's side is Graham & Edwards. We have alot of relatives from the Graham side in California & Texas.

Hope to hear from you.

modelt
08-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Paternal-
Bostic, Hugo Oklahoma
Dillard, Texas
Gage, Hugo Oklahoma

Maternal-
Burris, Brokenbow Oklahoma
Littlejohn, Brokenbow Oklahoma
:)

jorjeni
08-28-2007, 06:40 PM
I don't know anything about my mom's family they don't talk about themselves.

Mother- FITZ - Arkansas

Father- Brown-Bonner- Mitchell- Arkansas

Mrs. Tang
08-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Paternal: Gordon - Philadelphia

My dad says that my Great-Grandfather was from Jacsonville, FL and migrated to Phila.

Maternal: I found out a few years back tha my Mother isn't who I grew to love as my granfather biological child, so her maiden name (Johnson - Philadelphia, Wilmington North Carolina isn't necessarily apart of my blood line) Maybe one day I can find this line...However, my maternal grandmother's maiden is

Artis - Virginia

neolocs
08-31-2007, 06:39 PM
Maternal:

Grandmother - Miller, from southern Georgia
Grandfather - Cherry, probably also from southern Georgia

Paternal:

from grandmother's first marriage - McCaskill. Her first husband was Henry McCaskill - died when my father was a child.
second marriage - Collins, called O.C. by everyone.
I don't know paternal grandmother's maiden name.

The only relatives remaining on my father's side that I know of (other than my brother and I) are his brother Calvin, and a niece. My father died October 2004.

I will make a trip to the Panhandle early next year to search through some records on my family, but meanwhile, if anyone has any info, or think you are related from either side, let me know.

Soulsearch72
09-10-2007, 11:34 AM
I found some more names.

dad..Solomon Montgomery Davis..His mom maiden is Phillips..Arkansas

Mom side all shreveport.. Crawford, howard, Brown, Richardson...that starts with my mom up to my great great grandmother.

I learned that my mom' dad was a WWII vet. He died the year I was born. His mom lived until she was 105!!! My mom said she would tell her stories and that she remembered the ride on the boat!!! Crazy huh!!! I'm having a hard time finding my grandmother. It's like she didn't exist. I know she was legally given an indian name..but she didn't like it..so she changed it. Anyone know where I can find native american names. I guess I should see what tribe was in louisianna..and that'll give me a start. I'm asking my mom to look for old obituariaries(sp).

EmpressRi
09-18-2007, 09:39 AM
if im doing this right

maternal - ragin, south carolina, clarendon county?
paternal - breland, north carolina, not sure (they then moved to brooklyn)

who my cuzzin on heah? :P

lele
09-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Youngblood - Dad's side of the family. Mississippi, Louisiana

Marks - Dad's family - Mississippi

Prince - Mom's family. Texas (Brazoria), Louisiana

Bell - Mom's family - Louisiana, Brazoria

JustKre
09-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Dad's side:

Dad
Adopted name - Jones (Dallas TX)
Birth name - Bautista (Los Angeles)

Grandfather - Bautista (The Phillipines)

Mom's Side

Mom
Harris - Tennessee

Grandmother - Turner - Tennesse

Great - Grandmother (and her twin) - I think Price - Mississippi

I wish I knew more ... :blush:

nchristina
09-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Dad's side:
Grandpa: Stitt (mississippi?)

Mom's Side:
GGgrandma: Barnett (Virginia, w.virginia?)

I am working with a new found cousin to find out more.

ajargon
09-28-2007, 08:35 PM
I don't know much about my family, and I really want to connect with some of my relatives. Im soooo glad someone started this post up again. Here's what I know about my family:
If someone out there has anymore info about these folks or if you're kin, hit me up!!!!
[/b]

Hi,
On my nana's side I want to say that there were some "hicks" from down south, but I will have to verify that with my mom, and I will certainly get back to you.

long shot, but here goes.

maternal

brown ~ washington, dc
[/b]

kenneth brown, william brown,elsie brown? Have you heard of any of these names in your lineage?

Paternal

[/b]

What abut Hilton Byrd, Gwen Byrd, Keith Byrd? Or just "Vick" as the last name at all?

I don't know anything about my mom's family they don't talk about themselves.

Father- Brown[/b]

how bout william brown, elsie brown, kenneth brown?

MzHoneyLocs
10-17-2007, 04:57 PM
OK, I haven't seen any of these last names, but here goes:

Maternal:

Green (Greene)- Washington, D.C./Maryland
Derricott- Washington, D.C./Maryland

Paternal:
Williams- Hartford/Meriden or any part of Connecticut
Manning- Connecticut or vicinity
Lester- Connecticut or vicinity

Those are the only ones I have for now.

laurynx
10-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Maternal:
Mayes(or Maize/Maze/Mays)--Texas
Jackson--Houston/Texas
Moore--Houston, Texas/Louisiana

Paternal:
Wilrich(Willrich)--La Grange/Houston/Texas
Johnson--SugarLand/Ft. Bend County/Texas

meagan22
11-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Jackson--Houston/Texas
[/b]
Are any of these folks originally from S. Carolina?

laurynx
11-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Are any of these folks originally from S. Carolina?
[/b]

Jackson, no. Mayes, I am not sure about, if they were it would have been around the 1880s and before since I have recorded only my direct ancestors. I have Caroline Mayes (this was here marriage name and I'm going on this since I don't know her husband's name) who would have been born in 1887. Where the family came from I don't know.

CHIMDC
11-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Maternal: Guilford- Alabama/SouthCarolina
Taylor- Mississippi

Paternal: Cobb- St.L Missourri

The Fruitarian One
11-17-2007, 11:56 AM
I've just started to make steps to doing this!!

Mother- Brown-Montego Bay Jamaica
Dad- Blackman-Georgetown Guyana

F1

naturalally
11-18-2007, 02:43 PM
and my younger sisters' dads name is West && now as a muslim, it is Rashada

Laniza
11-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Anyone kin to:

Maternal--Pannell, Street, West Virginia, U.S.A.
Paternal--Wilson, Alabama, U.S.A.

jemiasmom
12-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Paternal: James from Kingstree and Sumter SC and abroad
Hunter from Kingstree and Charleston SC
Maternal: Evans from Kingstree and Philadelphia
Adams from Kingstree And Cades and God only knows where else!
[/b]

Greetings....

Seems we're born of the same ancestry....well maybe.

My mothers kin is from Kingstree, Salters, & Lane SC....our family names are Rious, Moore & Williams.
My mom recently(as last week) found out that our ancestors include Santee Indians from the area around Salters....

lilmsrosie87
12-07-2007, 10:16 PM
My father last name is Harris from Angleton, TX (near Houston)
My mothers maiden name is Barton and she is from Eldorado Park in South Africa.
We all live in the Bay Area located in Northern California

ebonybella
12-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Hi all! I'm really into geneaology and I've been able to go back 5 generations with the help of census records and family stories.

My family names are:

Maternal:
Grandmother: Smith (FL), Hayes/Hays (FL), Roach (FL)
Grandfather: Simmons (FL & Beaufort, SC), Williams (Beaufort, SC), Bright (SC?)

Paternal:
Grandmother: Streeter (AL), Cowart (AL)
Grandfather: Washington (FL & AL), Loving (AL)

bajanempress
12-08-2007, 11:47 PM
We had a huge family reunion some years ago on my mother's side I need to ask her for the information that they found at that time, I remember they got pretty far back.

Mother- Bishop (St Simons, St Andrew Barbados)

Father- Chaderton (Carrington Village, St. Michael Barbados)

variations are also Chadderton and Chatterton

It is not a common last name and there are very few families in Barbados with it. I have been contacted randomly by 2 other Chadertons with roots in the Caribbean.

Camille98
12-10-2007, 12:35 PM
What I know of my family lineage is:

Paternal:
grandfather: Green, from SC
grandmother: Harrison, from south GA
dad: Harrison, from Miami, FL

Maternal:
great-grandmother: Flowers, from Nassau, Bahamas
great-grandfather: Bullard, from Miami, FL
grandmother: Bullard, from Miami, FL
mom: Bullard, from Miami, FL

One of the interesting family stories is that my great-grandmother came over with a sister, and they both ended up marrying brothers. I don't recall ever meeting the sister, but my great-grandmother lived to be about 95, and died in the mid-1990s. So, I remember her very well. She was the glue to our extended family (the great-grandparents had 11 kids that really multiplied).

Blossom34
12-11-2007, 02:17 AM
Maternal:
Grandmothers last name was: Calhoun
Grandfathers last name: Sharp (Ruffin S.C)

Paternal:

All I know is Dads last name : Gaines

KimGrayer
12-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Here's mine:
Maternal Grandmother's last name: Cooper from Watonga, Oklahoma
Paternal Grandfather's last name: Grayer from Newton Falls, Ohio

liberationtheory
12-11-2007, 12:24 PM

[/b]

my fam is from shreveport and a BUNCH of them moved to los angeles in the 50s. as a matter of fact, when i was younger, there was a "shreveport reunion" picnic in los angeles every year (this was the 80s).

let me see if i can do my family

maternal
adger (grandfather), styles (great grandmother)-- shreveport, la
anderson (grandmother) barber and spiller (great-grands), there are more but i really went blank-- minden, la and tulsa, ok. (actually my grandmother was born during the tulsa riots and her family had to evacuate)

paternal
carr (grandfather) mcgee (grandmother)-- virginia (the city escapes me at the moment, but it's a small random town)

My dad says that my Great-Grandfather was from Jacsonville, FL and migrated to Phila.

Maternal: I found out a few years back tha my Mother isn't who I grew to love as my granfather biological child, so her maiden name (Johnson - Philadelphia, Wilmington North Carolina isn't necessarily apart of my blood line) Maybe one day I can find this line...However, my maternal grandmother's maiden is

Artis - Virginia
[/b]

my cousin is married to an artis. it was his father's name and all i know is that he died when my cousin's husband was young. this was in california. his mother now lives in nebraska.

My father last name is Harris from Angleton, TX (near Houston)
My mothers maiden name is Barton and she is from Eldorado Park in South Africa.
We all live in the Bay Area located in Northern California
[/b]

my aunt's last name is barton, though she married a barton. her maiden name is adger and they live in southern california, family from shreveport louisiana. the rest of us that didnt move to los angeles, moved to norther california- bay area..

PrincessDrRe
12-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Last name Silvey - Louisiana (Natchitoches, Coushatta, Campti, Cloutierville, Robeline)

Variations on Silvey that are in the family:
Silvia
Silvie

I have heard that all of these last names are related due to plantation owner but this could be false.

Mispelled/different spellings due to nurse error on birth certificates.

mrstiff
12-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Youngblood - Dad's side of the family. Mississippi, Louisiana

Marks - Dad's family - Mississippi

Prince - Mom's family. Texas (Brazoria), Louisiana

Bell - Mom's family - Louisiana, Brazoria
[/b]
I know a lot of Princes that live in California. Know 'em well too.

nshouston31
12-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Paternal

Maternal
Crawford- Shreveport, LA

Step Dad
Hodges- Mississippi

[/b]
My mother's maiden name is Rolland(Louisiana). Her father's last name was spelled Rowland, he was born in Huttig, Arkansas.(Daisy Bates) he traveled across the Ark-La border to be with my grandmother and whenever he was asked his last name the Caucasians spelled it the way he sounded it out. So my Arkansas relatives are Rowland, whie those of us from Louisiana are spelled Rolland.Researched the census records also and was able to go all the way back to the South Carolina farmer who owned his people and moved everyone to Arkansas(better soil plus Huttig was and still is a sawmill town).
)

Hello all,

So here goes:

[/b]
I live in Dallas and whenever I research my family tree I head down to the main branch of the Dallas Public Library because they have subscriptions to so many websites and agencies that have just what i'm searching for. I'll spend all day there, its like a treasure hunt, microfiche, etc. Does your town have this service?

faithworks
12-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Paternal- Tennessee

Hogg, Valentine, Burnley

Maternal- Mississippi

Spencer, Travis, Little, Vaughn

Merry Christmas! :wub:

bebedee
12-27-2007, 04:19 PM
PATERNAL:
Draper, Curry - Alabama; Tennessee; Ohio
Tugard, Lane - Ohio; Ontario, CANADA

MATERNAL:
McKenzie - Florida; Georgia
Owens, Thompson - Virginia; Ohio; CANADA

watergirl82
12-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Maternal:Grand mother's maiden name- Burnett

Paternal : grand mother's maiden name is unknown, but I know her married name is Williams

gr2006
12-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Maternal:Grand mother's maiden name- Burnett

Paternal : grand mother's maiden name is unknown, but I know her married name is Williams
[/b]

are we related: burnett (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=98758&view=findpost&p=1617226)

liberationtheory
12-29-2007, 02:39 PM
hey all, i got a lot more info about my family and have found my great great grandfather's info that he was born in 1859!!! i even believe i found the anderson plantation that he's from in opelousas parish, louisiana. using some census information, i'm piecing together information that his parents were slaves from mississippi that were brought to the anderson plantation when the mistress of the house was married. she brought her slaves with her. so i now have the list of slaves, but no knowledge of which one is my great great grandfather's mother. i'm almost sure that white owner anderson is the father judging from my families genes...

andrewsi
01-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi all! I'm really into geneaology and I've been able to go back 5 generations with the help of census records and family stories.

My family names are:

Maternal:

Paternal:
Grandmother: Streeter (AL), Cowart (AL)
Grandfather: Washington (FL & AL), Loving (AL)
[/b]

Hi my family names include Hayes/Hays, but I know them from Sandersville Washington County, GA. Does this area ring a bell?

Regards,

Andrew Simmons
Connecticut

ebonybella
01-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Hi my family names include Hayes/Hays, but I know them from Sandersville Washington County, GA. Does this area ring a bell?

Regards,

Andrew Simmons
Connecticut
[/b]

Hi Andrew

The Hayes/Hays name came from my great grandmother (her maiden name) and her mother. My great grandmother had about 11 brothers and sisters (she was born in the middle) and as far as I know they mostly grew up in Jackson county FL. Some of her older siblings were out of the house when she was still a child so it is possibly that relocated to GA, but hard to find information on them now.

BlueIsis
01-25-2008, 02:40 PM

Regards,

Andrew Simmons
Connecticut
[/b]

Hello all,

Mom family name: Davis -- from Bonny (sp?) GA

Father Family name: Simmons -- Birmingham, AL
(my dad spoke of relatives in Jacksonville, FL, and Columbus, Ohio.

ebonybella
01-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Hello all,

[/b]

The Simmons name is also in my family. It is mother's maiden name. On her side of the family, the Simmons originated in South Carolina (and there are still some there). One branch (my great grandfather, Abraham) moved to Florida. He settled in central Florida and had four kids. The children from those four kids are based in Florida (north, central, east), Atlanta, and California. My mom has two Simmons first cousins that are in Jacksonville but there last name isn't Simmons.

lilmsrosie87
01-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Maternal Maidan name is Bartman from Alexandra Township, South Africa with relatives in Johansburg also.
Paternal last name is Harris from Angleton, TX. Father moved to Oakland, Ca in 1979. I have paternal family all over Houston and Houston area.
I have 2 sisters (one full and one half)

Promise24
02-04-2008, 03:41 PM
This is very interesting. I'm not so sure how this is going to work... Knowing that both parents are from jamaica. born...

Blaqdiamond4t
02-04-2008, 07:06 PM
kenneth brown, william brown,elsie brown? Have you heard of any of these names in your lineage?
[/b]
no, sorry.

NappyMiami
02-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Hello all,

[/b]

I have to remember the exact names of my Simmons fam in Birmingham, al. We also have relatives in Columbus Ohio. But yes, the Simmons run deep in Bama.

BlessedEarth
02-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Wow this is a great post. Well let me throw my names in the hat...

Maternal: Honea Path, SC - White, Black, Hogg, Thomas
Paternal: Orangeburg, SC - Cooper, Martin

carboncopysue
02-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Hey y'all,

I'm the OP of the original thread, and back when it was getting close to 10 pages, I said that I would make a database of all of the names. Well, I did for the first thread, but I sat on it because I realized maybe everyone wouldn't be comfortable with a large list of everyone's names. Also, with 700 entries among all the members, I really didn't know how or where to put it, unless I created a special website with a password protected page (or put it on Fotki or something).

Right now, I have the database separated into US and international, and the entries are like this:

LAST NAME/STATE/USERNAME
BRANSON/ GA/carboncopysue

(the slashes represent separate columns, I can't seem to make a table on here)

So, any ideas? You can PM me too if you like.

Sue.

rhapsoidos
02-13-2008, 10:10 AM
MATERNAL

Story - NY/NJ (My mother was adopted by my grandmother's first husband. I don't know her biological father's last name)
Grandmother's Maiden Name - Gray (Hardinsburg, KY)
Great-grandmother's Maiden Name - Wales (Breckinridge County, KY)
Great great grandmother's Maiden Name - Hughes (Breckinridge County, KY)

Paternal

Grandmother - Cole (Somewhere in KY)
Great grandmother's Maiden Name - Houchins (Smiths Grove, KY)
Great great grandmother's Maiden Name - Shobe (KY)

I am a Kentucky girl born in bred. I was thinking about getting a genealogy test and asking my great grandmother's about the family.

anabwi
02-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Mom's adoptive Dad's last name - Russell, was a minister in WPB, FL
Birth Dad unknown
Her birth mother was Whitfield of Jacksonville, FL, a teacher
My grandfather - Abrams, from somewhere in Central FL

Free2Fly1814
02-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Paternal: Brown, Green Hopkins/Gadsden/Eastover, SC ( I think, but he has a LOT of kids in Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
Maternal: Tucker (now lives in jersey but i think he's from Columbia, SC), Sumter Hopkins, SC

I have oodles of extended family due to the fact that both of my parents were the only children by their mother and father but have half brothers and sisters on each side.

Maternal Step Grandfather: Brown
Paternal Step Grandfather: Sumpter

my family is twisted lol

bluerain
02-16-2008, 08:34 PM
This is interesting so let me put my names in the hat.
My dad last name is Hunter and he was born in Rocky Mount, SC. His mom was Earlene and she had 6 kids.
My mom last name is Turner and she was born in the south as well but I have to find out where exactly but I know she told me she was 1 of about 16.

curlymrs
02-17-2008, 04:20 PM
I like this thread a lot...I just finished watching Oprah's Roots on PBS and I am so amped about finding my own roots it is taking over my whole being! ^_^

My contributions are:

Maternal: Goss, Jennings (Alabama}
Paternal: Reed (Georgia and somewhere up North(?) )

Afrocentric Beauty
02-19-2008, 08:45 AM
This is interesting.....I dont know much about my family's history either...I guess this is something that I need to look into

BelindaLuz
02-19-2008, 11:54 AM

Thanx in advance
[/b]
I found this
http://genforum.genealogy.com/mingo/

BelindaLuz
02-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Now that I have read this whole thread, with many intruptions, I will add the short version of my tree. I have trees or list of names on veriouse genealogy sites.

The women on my mothers side starting with me, then my mother, them my mothers mother and then my mothers, fathers mother (my greatgrandma), then my great gradn mothers mother.
Carreras -> Holman -> Green (Greene) -> Hallman -> Roe. My mothers, fathers family is from Batesburge/Leesville, Akin, and Columbia SC My mothers mother is from PA

The men are Holman and Hallman

My dads father is Carreras
Puerto Rico and Spain
My dad said most of his fathers family decends from the Spainards that raped PR

My dads mom is Rosario and his grand mother is Valle
Puerto Rico and ???
My dad said that his moms family desend mostly from the Africans that jumpped ship and or where brought to PR as slaves.

Familia donde va?

Brieny
02-22-2008, 09:26 AM
This thread is neat!

Paternal-Johnson

Maternal-Jackson

NewlyNappyNelle
02-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Wow this is a great post. Well let me throw my names in the hat...

Maternal: Honea Path, SC - White, Black, Hogg, Thomas
Paternal: Orangeburg, SC - Cooper, Martin
[/b]

Paternal
I have McMillan (or MacMillan) down in Orangeburg and Bamburg, SC

Maternal
Loftin- North Carolina --> Philadelphia --> Brooklyn
Brabham- Haiti? Now in Brooklyn

Holla if you know anything! ^_^

naturallykristin
02-27-2008, 08:42 AM
This is cool.

My mom's maiden name is Gwinn. Her father is from Bartlett County, TN (outside Memphis) and her mom is from St. Louis, MO (maiden name is Harris)

My dad's last name is Smith. He's from St. Louis, MO too.

My last name is Harris to match my mother's married name.

kingloc357
03-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Greetings everyone, I'm new here but I thought I'd put in my two cents. My family is mostly in Ohio, Akron to be exact.

Last name is Culver.

hanifah30
03-10-2008, 03:07 AM
I don't have much info. on my family. I have been trying to find out information myself which can sometimes be hard.

Paternal:

Stanford - Philadelphia, PA (have connections I believe with one of the Carolinas)

Brookes, Philadelphia, PA

Maternal:

Miles - Philadelphia, PA (originally from Salisbury, MD)

Reed - Philadelphia, PA (originally from Camden, NJ)

Nappilocs
03-12-2008, 12:26 PM

[/b]

Yep, I'm related to some Simmons in Beaufort. My maternal grandmother's family is from Beaufort. Her maiden name was Hamilton though.

I'm a Bermudian/Geechie all day baby! :D

LoveMySkip
03-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Dad's last name: Lyle - born/raised in Jamaica. moved to Brooklyn as a kid.
Mother's maiden name (Harrison. my mom did not take her father's last name; never knew her father) - Born in Chicago, raised in Boston

Paternal Grandmother's last name: White (born/raised in Cuba; her father was from Monserrat, her mother was born/raised in Cuba to parents originally from Barbados)

tvernon
03-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Maternal
Crawford- Shreveport, LA

[/b]

My grandmother's maiden name is Crawford & they're from Shreveport! Her name is Lillie. If you want to chat you can send me a msg here or on Myspace @ myspace.com/gameelah (http://myspace.com.gameelah).

symphonicmelodee
03-14-2008, 04:29 PM
okay ...love this forum..i hope i meet some family members...

Here is my Tree..

Maternal -----> Sanford, Chatmon, Johnson, Short (all orig from va)

Paternal ----> Haskins - orig from va but most relocated to NY and NJ, Moody - orig from va, boyd ---all orig from va...but alot of people moved to NJ and NY

symphonicmelodee
03-14-2008, 05:35 PM
okay ...love this forum..i hope i meet some family members...

Here is my Tree..

Maternal -----> Sanford, Chatmon, Johnson, Short (all orig from va)

Paternal ----> Haskins - orig from va but most relocated to NY and NJ, Moody - orig from va, boyd ---all orig from va...but alot of people moved to NJ and NY
[/b]

OH YAH I FORGOT..

Maternal ----> Blackwell

gr2006
03-20-2008, 06:55 PM
i've found another family name, actually she married my grandfather's brother (my uncle).

Helen Albright - born in Pennsylvania, died in Lawnside, NJ.
Elmer Burnett - born in Maryland, died in Lawnside, N.J.

ebonybella
03-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Yep, I'm related to some Simmons in Beaufort. My maternal grandmother's family is from Beaufort. Her maiden name was Hamilton though.

I'm a Bermudian/Geechie all day baby! :D
[/b]

My maternal grandfather's family is from there. My great grandmother was a Williams from the area and she married a man named Abraham Lincoln Simmons also from that area. My grandfather and his older brother where born there. But the family moved to central FL when he was about 3. I'm hoping that my great uncle can help fill in some holes from that side of the family.

BANGBangbby
04-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Maternal---
Smith: South Carolina (Spartanburg & other parts)
Jones: North Carolina
Grandmother's maiden name was Helen Jones, she has 8 kids.
Paternal---
James: New York
Bradford: South Carolina, Dillion
The middle name "mae" has been passed down for quite sometime in the James family.
My grandmother's maiden name was Eva Mae Bradford.

Maternal side is cherokee

SoSoSouthern89
04-20-2008, 05:02 PM
I like this thread a lot...I just finished watching Oprah's Roots on PBS and I am so amped about finding my own roots it is taking over my whole being! ^_^

My contributions are:

Maternal: Goss, Jennings (Alabama}
Paternal: Reed (Georgia and somewhere up North(?) )
[/b]
I know some Reeds in Ga. [savannah area]

Mine:

Paternal:
grandmothers last name on fathers side [not maiden]: polite [savannah ga]
Mother Maiden name: Riggs [statesboro ga]
Fathers Last Name: Moss [savannah ga]

Maternal
Mothers maiden name: moffett [savannah ga]
fathers last name: anderson [savannah ga]

kejourner
05-07-2008, 02:02 AM
my grandmother's married name was Lover and her maiden name was Smith. on her family tree is also bruce, hall, and hickman

my dad's last name is DeJournette. variations are DeJarnette. I don't know much about his tree but I do remember the name Johnson being .

I'm from Alabama.

ChiPeace
05-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Paternal

Maternal
Crawford- Shreveport, LA

Step Dad
Hodges- Mississippi

[/b]

:o WOW! I didn't know that! My daughter's family is Davis as well.

I didn't notice until I read this thread. I did notice that 90% of the davis I met were on the browner side. It was extreme..either they had a dark complexion or they were white.
[/b]

It's the exact opposite w/ them. They are all very light skinned. :dunno:

ChiPeace
05-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Mother's Side
Mother's mother married Carl Pettigrew (my grandfather), prior to her being Naomi Pettigrew, she was Naomi Norfleet from Alabama

Father's Side
Father's mother married Bobby Gene McGhee, prior to her being Mary Alice McGhee, she was Mary Alice Span from Westpoint, Mississippi

Maternal Great Grandparents
My granny's mom's name was Dixon and I've been told that she was a full blood Indian. My granny's dad was half Irish and half Black. Arnett Norfleet from Alabama

Paternal Great Grandparents
My granny's mom's name was Ella J. Span and her maiden name was Wiggins. She was from Mississippi and their father's name was Robert Lee Span from Greenville, Mississippi

Aight, where you @ cuz? :)

Blasto2x
05-30-2008, 07:41 AM
I only know about my father's side of the family because I don't know my mother, except for the fact her last name is Hall and she's from California. But for my dad...

His grandfather was a Shanklin from Lampasas, TX [my father is from Amarillo, TX], and his grandmother was a Favors from Hubbard, TX.

My grandmother's maiden name was Forward from Hubbard, TX, but since her second marriage she and her other children & grandchildren are Davis'. Her present 2nd husband is of Louisianna Creole ancestry.

Akosua5
06-02-2008, 07:46 PM
My mom is from Dale, South Carolina right outside of Beaufort. Her madien name is Barnwell and married name is Smith (My sister's dad). Unfortunately I don't know my dad or his family. I know that his name is James Bobian and he is from or his family is from Sheldon, South Carolina. My goal is to definitely find my dad and his family. So if anyone knows anything about anyone with the last name Bobian please hit me up. I know my dad also traveled back and forth to NYC.

Katherine
06-02-2008, 10:45 PM
I haven't read through all the pages but :
Maternal:
Mothers last name: Morris (unknown location)
Grandmother's last name: Williams (from Lousiana)
Great Grandmother's last name: Carter (from Iowa)
Great Grandmother's last name: Lemelle (from Louisiana)

Paternal:
Father's last name: Murphy (from Biloxi, Miss)
Grandmother's last name: Evans (from Columbus Miss)
Great Great Grandmother's last name: Johnson (from Columbus Miss).
PM me for specifics if any of this sounds familiar. And I&#39;m on ancestry.com<-- traced my grandfather&#39;s fam all the way back to 1500s

Intice
06-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Mother : Thomas (Maryland)
Reddicks(Maryland) As far as I know
Maternal Grandmother: Reddicks (Maryland) Cole (Trinidad)

Father: DeJesus (Phillipines)
Washington (Virginia)

carboncopysue
06-06-2008, 06:07 PM
My mom is from Dale, South Carolina right outside of Beaufort. Her madien name is Barnwell and married name is Smith (My sister&#39;s dad). Unfortunately I don&#39;t know my dad or his family. I know that his name is James Bobian and he is from or his family is from Sheldon, South Carolina. My goal is to definitely find my dad and his family. So if anyone knows anything about anyone with the last name Bobian please hit me up. I know my dad also traveled back and forth to NYC.
[/b]
Is your father still alive?

ETA: Were your parents ever married?

Sue.

MzBNS2010
06-17-2008, 01:06 AM
Maternal: Newsome - Pompano Beach, FL; Daniels - Ashburn, GA, most of my Daniels uncles moved to Columbus, OH

Paternal: Simmons - South FL

ledavis1
06-18-2008, 03:20 AM
Paternal

Maternal
Crawford- Shreveport, LA

Step Dad
Hodges- Mississippi

I think it&#39;s interesting that alof of the Davis have carribean roots. Whenever I&#39;m in the carribean. People think I&#39;m a native. I LOVE that.
[/b]

My father&#39;s last name is Davis. I&#39;m not sure where they are from in the south but, some of them moved to Cairo, Illinois and Indianapolis. I guess we do have Carribean roots because when I visited the Bahamas with my fiance last summer, one of the natives asked me if I was from there. And when I said "no", she looked at me in disbelief and then continued to ask if I was sure for about 10 minutes. Also, my fiance&#39;s mother is from Jamaica and when his grandmother met me for the first time, she asked him if I was from the Carribean when I left.

sharynleigh
06-21-2008, 02:16 AM
I only know about my father&#39;s side of the family because I don&#39;t know my mother, except for the fact her last name is Hall and she&#39;s from California. But for my dad...

His grandfather was a Shanklin from Lampasas, TX [my father is from Amarillo, TX], and his grandmother was a Favors from Hubbard, TX.

My grandmother&#39;s maiden name was Forward from Hubbard, TX, but since her second marriage she and her other children & grandchildren are Davis&#39;. Her present 2nd husband is of Louisianna Creole ancestry.
[/b]

My son&#39;s babysitter&#39;s last name was Favors before she married a Lockett. Her children from her first marriage are Favors and I know that one of her sons lives in Cali. She passed away a couple of years ago. The picture in your avatar looks like that family.

sistasweetpea
06-21-2008, 04:01 AM
Youngblood - Dad&#39;s side of the family. Mississippi, Louisiana

Marks - Dad&#39;s family - Mississippi

Prince - Mom&#39;s family. Texas (Brazoria), Louisiana

Bell - Mom&#39;s family - Louisiana, Brazoria
[/b]

We may be related! There are some Youngbloods in my family, but I&#39;m not sure how

Youngblood - Louisiana
Holloman(sp) - Louisiana
Pea - North Louisiana (I hear that there are Pea&#39;s in Ponchaloula, La, but they aren&#39;t in my family)
Sanders - Louisiana
Spears - Louisiana

letyoursoulglo
07-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Giving this a go...

Maternal: Crosby or Berry (from Rankin County, Mississippi)

Great-grandmother was a Berry. Her parents were James and Nancy. I don&#39;t know her mother&#39;s maiden name or anything else about the family except that James Berry&#39;s mother was also named Nancy. lol

Great-grandfather was John Crosby. His father, Will (or Willie), was married two or three times, but my great-great grandmother was Susie Foote. My 3x great grandfather, Joe, married a Mary Foote (not sure if there&#39;s any relation) not long after the death of my 3x-great grandmother and helped raise her children. My 3x great grandmother was a South Carolina native named Harriet (maiden name unknown) and she was supposedly Native American.

Any takers? lol

esquire_con_locs
07-21-2008, 12:47 PM
This thread is amazing!

Here&#39;s my contribution:

Paternal
-McFadden (Sumter/Columbia SC)

Maternal
-Harris (Philaphia, PA/Henderson, NC)
-Perry (Philadelphia, PA)

frumny2nc
07-21-2008, 08:42 PM
This thread is amazing!

Here&#39;s my contribution:

Paternal
-McFadden (Sumter/Columbia SC)

Maternal
-Harris (Philaphia, PA/Henderson, NC)
-Perry (Philadelphia, PA)
[/b]

Good night!! Gotta know your fam. Not too many people here in Henderson!!

Paternal -Smith/ Belize, Central America
Maternal - LeMay/ Kittrell, NC

NasdaqDiva
07-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Maternal: Martin/Betts
Paternal: Eskridge

newnatural17
08-02-2008, 05:26 AM
On my mom&#39;s side: Lisa David. I know my great grandmother&#39;s name is Lessie Bates, or something like that. My mom lived in SC when she was a girl, but I&#39;m not sure where my GG lived. She passed away seven years ago.

A harder find on my dad&#39;s side: Michael Thompson. My dad doesnt know his dad, but he was named after him. My great great grandmother is irish/indian.

I think it&#39;d be really really cool to learn more about my family history and what tribe/country, etc my family originated from. I&#39;m just not entirely sure how!!! :o

gloomgeisha
08-05-2008, 09:33 AM
I&#39;ve read all the pages on the previous thread and find this subject very interesting.

Here&#39;s mine:
PATERNAL

Stewart
McCray

My grandfather had a brother that moved to Buffalo that we have never been able to locate. His name was Henry Johnson, but was also called Paris or Parish. We would really like to find something about him, but have come up with nothing but dead ends so far.
MATERNAL

Reid/Reed
Williams

[/b]

PATERNAL

McCrae

Hey there fellow McCray! I&#39;m a McCrae as well. I don&#39;t know if the spelling makes much of a difference. It&#39;s really nice to meet another one whenever I get the chance. I too posses the name from my paternal side. Though I&#39;d like to be able to ask my father about his side of the family, he is very hush hush and refuses to speak on it- I&#39;ve never met any family from his side save one aunt and that was many years ago. He&#39;s a native Washingtonian.

MATERNAL-

Brown
Reed

My mum is adopted so Brown is the name from her birth mother and Reed is the maiden last name of her adoptive mother. The whole deal is kind of convoluted. I do know my mother&#39;s birth sisters and her father&#39;s last name is Coleman. Though he lived in Virginia, I don&#39;t know where the family is from originally.

EbonieRose
08-05-2008, 08:35 PM
My family has been in Claiborne Parish, Louisiana since the mid-1800&#39;s, but they all came in from Georgia with a few exceptions. So everyone listed is automatically connected to Louisiana and Georgia unless otherwise noted.

West, McGee*, Benton, Williams**, Daniels, Martin***, Walker, Bradford, Sanders, Terrell

Notes:
*also in Alabama
** also in South Carolina,
*** also in South Carolina, possibly North Carolina

Also, the Daniels branch has some type of mixed ancestry. She&#39;s my great-grandmother. The pictures we have show that&#39;s she&#39;s very light-skinned. Assorted relatives give different answers about her lineage. I&#39;ve gotten Native American/White, Native American/Black, White/Black, and full Native American. And it&#39;s not even entirely definite that Daniels is her father, though it is given as a common surname on the Dawes roll.

As an added bonus, those who say she&#39;s Native American can&#39;t agree on a tribe. Those who say she&#39;s half-Black say she&#39;s Blackfoot Cherokee, which makes sense if you know what Blackfoot Cherokee is. Those who say she&#39;s full-blooded NA say that she&#39;s a mix of at least 4 different tribes, including Blackhawk. :dunno:

DestinyJS
08-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Maternal : Clark/ Jackson/ Handsford- from Bainbridge, GA (Southwest Georgia)

Paternal: Shelmon/McGregor- from Bainbridge, GA (Southwest, GA)

stillsearching
08-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Wow, this thread is in keeping with what my husband and I are doing trying to locate his family members.

My married name is Strickland, they are from DE and NC.
My maiden name is Harris (NJ, Philadelphia, VA)
Also:
Bowens (NJ, VA)
Beverley (NJ, VA, NC)
Young(VA)

It would be really cool to locate some relatives...trying to piece together the fam is hard but really fun and important!

Felisha
08-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Maternal
Burke (Edenton, NC)
Wilder(Norfolk, VA Beach,Va)

Paternal

Watson
Lee (Clayton,NC)

It would be so wonderful if I could get some info on my maternal side. My grandmother was not raised by her mother, but a 1st cousin. No one ever talked about it until well after she passed away.... :(

Soulsearch72
08-07-2008, 10:50 PM
My father&#39;s last name is Davis. I&#39;m not sure where they are from in the south but, some of them moved to Cairo, Illinois and Indianapolis. I guess we do have Carribean roots because when I visited the Bahamas with my fiance last summer, one of the natives asked me if I was from there. And when I said "no", she looked at me in disbelief and then continued to ask if I was sure for about 10 minutes. Also, my fiance&#39;s mother is from Jamaica and when his grandmother met me for the first time, she asked him if I was from the Carribean when I left.
[/b]

I checked out your fotki album...and we do resemble eachother. Especially our eyes.

Okay this is an update..

Paternal

DAVIS and Phillips. Arkansa

Maternal

Crawford, Brown, Henderson, Marshall, Howard- Shreveport, LA and Mississippi

Sugarshoc
08-08-2008, 06:06 AM
I&#39;ve read all the pages on the previous thread and find this subject very interesting.

Here&#39;s mine:
PATERNAL

Stewart
McCray

MATERNAL

Reid/Reed
Williams

[/b]

I have a cousin in NC with the last name Boykin.

Sugarshoc
08-08-2008, 06:20 AM
My Great Granny was a Tate but her maiden name was Bates i believe....from Mississippi

My grand father is a Davis and he is from STL,MO

My biological father is a Hampton from STL,MO
[/b]

My ex-boyfriend&#39;s last name is Hampton and he lived in Harlem, NY. His dad was originally from Arkansas.

Sugarshoc
08-08-2008, 06:37 AM
My paternal grandfather&#39;s last name is Mingo. I am extremely curious as to what the origin is. I have heard it could be African, French, Spanish and even American Indian. How would you suggest I go about finding the orgin of this last name?

Thanx in advance
[/b]

I know of a woman here in Brooklyn whose last name is Mingo and she&#39;s of Caribbean descent.

jaka81
12-02-2008, 03:51 AM
Looking for my Paternal grandfather&#39;s side. Robert Briscoe... Maybe from Illinois.

jalarise84
12-05-2008, 03:52 AM
Hello all. Yes, this is a very interesting thread. As of right now, my sister and cousin are in the process of searching out our family tree. And so far, it&#39;s confusing.

Paternal-Bracy/Davis/Scott of Alabama (Fairhope, Mobile) Now, my grandfather&#39;s mother&#39;s name was Scott and he has half brothers with the Davis name. His name and my dad&#39;s name is Bracy...confused yet? :huh:

Maternal- Smith of Mississippi (Hattiesburg)

So if there&#39;s any possible kin out there especially of the Bracy name, hit me up!

stilesrbe
12-05-2008, 04:42 PM
I have an interesting last name and would like to find a match. My last name is Stiles its from my maternal grand father. My dads last name is Delaney and its my maternal grandfathers name. Im not sure of my grandmothers maiden names. Willie Mae Delaney is my dads mom name and she from mississippi her and my grandfather.

stiles

delaney

gordon

young

CuckooPuffs
12-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Here goes

Maternal:
Weaver(dec&#39;d)-may have family origins in some part of Ga
Wright(maiden name unknown)-Inverness, FL (Citrus County)

Paternal:

Williams-only met once (twice, if count as baby) lives in Leesburg (Lady Lake), FL

any other Weavers or Williams--from central part of Florida--on here hit me up! I&#39;m wanting to put together a family tree for my son.

kitaboo_44
12-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Well i was doing geneology research at the beginning of the year but i stopped when i came to a dead end. You can&#39;t ever give up tho so heres a lil info just in case i got some kinfolk on here!
Its difficult to explain but in summary

My last name is Waters but my dad is a Lott from the Coffee Co, Douglas, GA area
My last names from my maternal Grandma, Ola Mae Waters who was from Butler Co, Greenville, AL
Ola Mae&#39;s mom was Annie Mae Franklin and never married, plus supposedly no one knows who fathered her children (has another daughter by the name of Helen Parker)
Annie Mae parents were Dock Franklin and Matilda Jay
Dock parents were Joe and Mary Franklin (maiden name Smith)
Matilda parents were Noland and Mary Jay (maiden name Hicks)
Noland was born a slave and became a free, his parents were slaves Nancy Waters and Willie Babara, somewhere in VA

Now my maternal grandfather is Johnny Harris of Glynn Co and Coffee Co, Broxton and Douglas, Ga area
His parents were Otis and Ella Mae Harris (maiden Gamble or Gambel)
Otis was born to John Morgan and Elizabeth Harris (maiden name Habersham) {both slaves}
Ella Mae was born to an Irishman Sam Gamble and an Indian Mary Taylor Gamble (maiden name Taylor, believed to be Cherokee)

There are more details but if anything interests you i&#39;ll be happy to discuss
Thanks for reading

Nzingha
12-10-2008, 02:47 PM
This is interesting! I&#39;ll add mine:

Maternal: Franklin - Orangeburg, SC
Dye - Orangeburg, SC

Most of the Franklin&#39;s relocated to NJ from Charlotte, NC in the 50&#39;s.

Paternal: Allen - not sure where they were from. Paternal grandmother never married, lived in NJ

Other names related to the Allens are: Gale, Ervin, Artis

My stepfather&#39;s family is Wynn/Winn - Woodruff, SC near Spartanburg

justkinah
12-12-2008, 12:41 AM
Good night!! Gotta know your fam. Not too many people here in Henderson!!

Paternal -Smith/ Belize, Central America
Maternal - LeMay/ Kittrell, NC
[/b]
I am friends with some LeMay&#39;s in the Kitrell area. The perspon I know is 1 of 12 0r 16 I get the number confused. What are some of the names of the LeMay&#39;s?

Afrocentric
12-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Okey dokey, I&#39;ll give it a try:

Paternal

Grandy - Of Warren, Arkansas and Los Angeles, California

Maternal

Frazier - Of El Dorado, Arkansas and Minden, Louisiana
Beasley - Of Minden, Louisiana
Nelson - Of El Dorado and Norphlet, Arkansas (Union County)
Smith - Of El Dorado and Norphlet, Arkansas (Union County)

Afrocentric
12-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Okey dokey, I&#39;ll give it a try:

Paternal

Grandy - Of Warren, Arkansas and Los Angeles, California

Maternal

Frazier - Of El Dorado, Arkansas and Minden, Louisiana
Beasley - Of Minden, Louisiana
Nelson - Of El Dorado and Norphlet, Arkansas (Union County)
Smith - Of El Dorado and Norphlet, Arkansas (Union County)
[/b]

I just found out my paternal grandmother&#39;s maiden name:

Burnett - Of Hooks, Texas

Mojito Chica
12-14-2008, 08:32 PM
This looks like fun. I&#39;ll play.
Greenville, Alabama: mother&#39;s maiden name is Peagler and my grandmother&#39;s madien name was Jones died in 1949 or 1950 from a brain tumor. Great grandmother took the 3 boys and my mother to Dayton, OH without grandfather Peagler.

Memphis, TN: father&#39;s name is Wells and my grandmother&#39;s maiden name was Savage

sonshinescoils
12-29-2008, 06:20 AM
I haven&#39;t had time to go back through both lists yet, but:

Maternal:
Roberson--Hale, AL --> Detroit & Dayton/Cleveland, OH
Frazier from Pine Level, AL (Montgomery)-->Detroit

Roberson/Frazier moved to Detroit in the 50s or so. Fraziers are a mixture of red/white/brown. Will be getting more info later today.

Paternal:
Davidson (Detroit; Asheville, North Carolina & Kentucky [?])--my grandmother said that her paternal grandfather was possibly a AfrAm slave from Kentucky.
McNeir/McNair (Pine Bluff and/or Arkansas, "Blackfoot" Indian [in the process of researching this, possible union between black and Cherokee or Choctaw]

The McNeir/Davidson union moved to Detroit in the 1930s. And the Davidsons continue without much name change.

Shepard (Providence, Rhode Island; Detroit, MI)--here&#39;s where the white folks enter on this side. I need more info about these folks.

I&#39;m just getting started and there&#39;s so much ground to cover. But I&#39;ve been searching through birth/death records and getting pertinent info from my oldest family members. While I&#39;m home in Detroit in Jan, I plan to sit down with my Nana (great-grandmother), who is 97 years old to pick through some history. It&#39;s a blessing that I still have her as a resource. And I&#39;ve been in constant contact with my grandma and my auntie who initally started compiling info, but hit a wall trying to find "Blackfoot" Indians and the reservation where my great-grandmother is supposed to have been born in Arkansas. That&#39;s it&#39;s own research project right there.

I&#39;ll update as I find out more.

whitekz
01-19-2009, 12:55 PM

Here&#39;s mine:
PATERNAL

Stewart
McCray

MATERNAL

Reid/Reed
Williams

[/b]

Oh my God...that is sooo crazy, I hope you are checking this posting (cuz I see that it is from 07) but my uncle&#39;s name is Henry Johnson Jr!!!! And my family is from Camden, SC!!! Could we be related????

monili
01-20-2009, 03:28 AM
Mine are all from Bermuda, but I know I have relatives in other places.

PATERNAL
Lister (my last name): Sandys, Bermuda, great-grandather came from St. Kitts, where last name was originally Lester. I know I had (have?) family in Statia and other Lister/Lesters moved to the US, UK, Canada and even the Netherlands.
Lightbourne (dad&#39;s mom): Warwick, Bermuda

MATERNAL
Simmons (mom&#39;s maiden name): Paget, Bermuda (Backatawn) My great-great-great?-grandfather came to Bermuda from Barbados and was Bermuda&#39;s first AME minister, from what I hear
Joel (mom&#39;s mom): Bermuda
Smith (mom&#39;s maternal grandparents): Bermuda

bhop13
01-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Maternal side:
Edwards-Alabama
Crutcher-Alabama
Vaughn

Paternal side:
Ruffin - Ohio, kentucky
Clarke or Clark- GA (stone mountain)
Dunn - GA (stone mountain)
Lois, Louis - GA (stone mountain)
Caulder
Mason - Maybe GA also

Lady Xi
05-13-2009, 01:42 PM
I don&#39;t know much about my family, and I really want to connect with some of my relatives. Im soooo glad someone started this post up again. Here&#39;s what I know about my family:
My fathers last name is Person. We are in Georgia and from what I hear there are a lot of us in Ohio
My grandmother on my father&#39;s side is Hicks, also from Georgia
My mother&#39;s maiden name is Gardiner and she is from Jamaica, but her father lived in london.

If someone out there has anymore info about these folks or if you&#39;re kin, hit me up!!!!
[/b]

My Grandmother&#39;s maiden name is Person.
She grew up in NC around enfield/scotland neck.

Vaiton
06-13-2009, 10:07 PM
my paternal side last name is Julien who are all from Lousianna

my maternal side is Woods, that family is from Atlanta,

Would love connect with either side, I know more about my father&#39;s side..creole desent...family still lives in Louisianna... but never met any of them.
[/b]

I had an Aunt, Josephine Julien (b.New Orleans 1918). Do you have any other Julien info?

Researching:
Maternal...
BROWN...Ascension Parish, Louisiana
GOSSIN...Switzerland to PA. to West Feliciana Parish, LA.
MONDE...San Domingo to LA.
CARR...MIssissippi
LINTON....Ascension PH. LA
[/b]

Paternal...
LOGWOOD...Alabama to LA.
NADEAU/NEAT...Canada to New Orleans
PELISSIER...New Orleans
AUBUCHON/OUBICHON...Missouri to New Orleans
LEBLANC...New Orleans

Vaiton
06-13-2009, 10:39 PM
I haven&#39;t had time to go back through both lists yet, but:

Maternal:

Roberson/Frazier moved to Detroit in the 50s or so. Fraziers are a mixture of red/white/brown. Will be getting more info later today.

Paternal:
Davidson (Detroit; Asheville, North Carolina & Kentucky [?])--my grandmother said that her paternal grandfather was possibly a AfrAm slave from Kentucky.
McNeir/McNair (Pine Bluff and/or Arkansas, "Blackfoot" Indian [in the process of researching this, possible union between black and Cherokee or Choctaw]

The McNeir/Davidson union moved to Detroit in the 1930s. And the Davidsons continue without much name change.

And I&#39;ve been in constant contact with my grandma and my auntie who initally started compiling info, but hit a wall trying to find "Blackfoot" Indians and the reservation where my great-grandmother is supposed to have been born in Arkansas. That&#39;s it&#39;s own research project right there.

I&#39;ll update as I find out more.
[/b]

My great grandmother was born on a reservation in Mississippi. She called herself "Blackfoot Sioux". Problem, there does not seem to be Blackfoot or Sioux in MS. I found her family in Alabama in the 1880 Census. My GGGGGrandMother was listed as a Native born in VA. It seems they were on the move. May I suggest that you look for your GGMother&#39;s reservation in states near Arkansas as well.

I am also at a wall trying to find the MS Blackfoot reservation.

jorjeni
07-22-2009, 01:39 AM
Hi,
On my nana&#39;s side I want to say that there were some "hicks" from down south, but I will have to verify that with my mom, and I will certainly get back to you.
What abut Hilton Byrd, Gwen Byrd, Keith Byrd? Or just "Vick" as the last name at all?
how bout william brown, elsie brown, kenneth brown?
[/b]

My grandfather is named William Eldridge Brown, (92) He was married to Selma Marie Brown(deceased) (maidan name unknown) He had 10 (cough 13 ) children
Manuel,Florence, Audrey, William jr. James, Doris,Lawrence,Mary Kathryn, Helen, Brenda, Michael, cough Quincy, La Donna and one more I can&#39;t remember
My Uncle Lawrence W. Brown just died July 8th.2009. All other children are still living.

McCrory Arkansas is where my family is from. A few years ago they named a street in the town after my grandfather.

There are some Brown&#39;s on my mother&#39;s side too but don&#39;t know much about that side yet. We are learning somethings now. I know my mother&#39;s family lived in Patterson Arkansas at one time Her last name is Fitz her father was Robert Fitz and her mother was Arizona Asrene, on her side I know I have some cousins in California last name Fitz and Jackson.

ETA: My Aunt Audrey let me know that she has updated our family website and will be sending me the link

AzulBlue0204
07-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Interesting Post! I would guess that this would be one of the first steps to be taken to race our roots? After reading some of the replies to this post and some of the other posts regarding geneology, I&#39;m definitely going further in my search.

Paternal: Brown (My grandfather) Slaten (My grandmother) Both originate from Newark New Jersey

Maternal: Lanier (My grandfather) My grandmothers surname I dont know, I&#39;ll have to ask my my mom but she may not know either since she died when my mom was only five years old. My mom was born in Metter, Georgia.

Also, my auntie and some others on my fathers side found out that we are direct decendants of Nat Turner who was born in Southampton Virginia. I am his great-great-great grandaughter. I did a class project on this when I was in high school.

Nat Turner had a daughter named Sally Turner, who had a son who became Shadrack Slaten, who had a daughter who became Martha Brown, who had a son who is my dad. Pretty cool stuff.

I want to learn more about my mom&#39;s family though. Lanier...French maybe?

Bajan_Queen
07-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Great post. Here I go

My maternal Grandmother was Watts (Christ Church, Barbados)
Maternal Grandfather was Agard (Bridgetown, Barbados)
My dad is a Samuel (Mesopotamia, St. Vincent)
I believe (I could be wrong) his dad was Cockburn (Arnos Valle, St. Vincent)
I have no idea about his mum&#39;s name (first or last) but I think that she was Trinidadian.

The names Watts & Agard aren&#39;t common in Barbados, I suppose I could call those people in the phone book next time I go home. But Bajans are funny people <_<

Cdeesnapps
08-27-2009, 02:00 AM
Maternal:
Henderson,Faye Marie -Oklahoma Choktaw Nation
Washington,Booker T -Oklahoma
Owens, Sara -Oklahoma/Texas
Only son Frank Owens

Paternal:
Mason, Dennis -Pittsburgh or Philly, PA East Coast Somewhere(?)
He&#39;s a twin..sister&#39;s name is Denise.

SweetHoneyLocs
08-30-2009, 11:51 PM
I have been using two excellent sites to build my family tree :

1) www.geni.com

2) www.tribalpages.com

My father&#39;s family originates from Barnswell, South Carolina

Bing--from what I understand most of the Bings from this area descendants of Matthew Bing (1782) who was free before the civil war. They actually say this family were never slaves.
Butler (Anderson Butler and Sarah, I am not sure of the year of their births or Sarah&#39;s maiden name)
Brown

My mother&#39;s family originates from Wetipquin, MD

Seldon (George Seldon (1839) and Matilda Hull are (1844 as far has I have been able to go back)
Conway (Issac Conway (1860) and Mary (1863)
Stewart (my grandfather&#39;s name was Cornelius, possibly DOB 1903 in Flordia)

Ms-gg
09-06-2009, 02:26 PM
I am going to go back and read the other threads later but since I am on dial up....yeah, I&#39;ll just wait till I get to school and do that....

here is my info:
On my maternal side:
grandfather: last name lewis (he had 10 brothers and sisters)
great grandfather: thomas lewis
great grandmother: elnora goodwynn lewis, she had a sister name Charlotte Goodwynn

grandmother: her maiden name was beard, she became a lewis in marriage
my great grandmother: Viola "Ma" Ashford Beard
my great grandfather: waymond beard jr.
my great great grandmother: betty ashford
my great great grandfather: waymond beard sr.

This info may or may not be correct (the info above). This is from a roughdraft of a family tree project I did last year. I cannot find the original and the computer the info was stored on crashed :(

From what I understand my grandmother Eloise Beard Lewis, was from south carolina.

My father&#39;s side of the family:
his father: Mack Lee, shot and killed by a family member when my father was seven. He was in his late 20&#39;s.
Great Grandfather: James Lee
Great Grandmother: Elizabeth "Lizzy" Lee

My father&#39;s mother: Mammie Carter Lee
My Great Grandfather: James "King Papa: Carter
my great grandmother: Gertrude Carter

oh yeah, as far as I am concerned, my father&#39;s side of the family is deeply rooted in hanover, va
From what he told me before he died, my family has roots in haiti as well.....but I don&#39;t know how true this is

My mother&#39;s father: "Lewis" has mohawk indian roots, now I don&#39;t know how true this info is as well, I am so skeptical of this "indian" stuff cause most times us black folks just don&#39;t want to admit we have white in us.

SweetHoneyLocs
09-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Also, my auntie and some others on my fathers side found out that we are direct decendants of Nat Turner who was born in Southampton Virginia. I am his great-great-great grandaughter. I did a class project on this when I was in high school.

Nat Turner had a daughter named Sally Turner, who had a son who became Shadrack Slaten, who had a daughter who became Martha Brown, who had a son who is my dad. Pretty cool stuff.

[/b]

How did your family learn and prove that your are descendants of Nat Turner?

Mirah Nirvana
09-14-2009, 02:37 PM
if im doing this right

maternal - ragin, south carolina, clarendon county?
paternal - breland, north carolina, not sure (they then moved to brooklyn)

who my cuzzin on heah? :P
[/b]

I&#39;m yo&#39; cousin! LOL...

Seriously...

Paternal: Harvin; Sumter, SC. Based on some research the name Ragin kept popping up, when I looked up Harvin (something about travelling here from Ireland I believe?)

Maternal: Johnson (?), Union, SC

purebodydetox
10-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Paternal - Winthrop (New England Area)

MishaTx
10-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Father's side - West Virgina - Shabazz or Chavaz (he doesn't know for sure)
Mooringsport, La and Red Chute Louisiana - Heads
Mooringsport, La - Allen

Mother's Side - Mooringsport, La - Jones and Choyce
Mooringsport, La - Johnson
Mooringsport, La - Webb
Mooringsport, La - Devers

Now the great, great grandparents on both sides were supposed to be half or part Native American. My father said for sure his great grandfather was half, and my grandmother told me that both of her parents were also. So I'm not sure how accurate that information is. It is also rumored that the "Choyce" branch of the family were originally from Jamaica. Again, I can not verify that.

Michelle

GeechieCurlz
10-11-2009, 01:04 AM
I've read all the pages on the previous thread and find this subject very interesting.

Here's mine:

PATERNAL

Stewart
McCray

MATERNAL

Reid/Reed
Williams

This is the 1st post that I have read in this thread and was shocked to see this one. I am from Rembert with immediate family in Sumter/Kershaw Counties. The majority of mine are on the east coast

MATERNAL

Halley (Sumter/NY)
Richardson (Sumter, NY)

PATERNAL

Brooks (Camden/Sumter)
Wells (Camden/Sumter)
Bennett
Williams
Dinkins
Herrington
Nelson
English

jalarise84
10-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Has anyone ever wondered just whose names we're listing here? It's kind of funny because when you think about it, these names really don't belong to us.

belle_noire
10-13-2009, 05:34 AM
Paternal ?? Clueless about him and his family :-/

Maternal - My mother's last name is Gilyard, as is mine. (SC/NYC)
My grandmother was originally a Simmons, but she married a Gilyard.

The search should be interesting because I do not have a lot to work with.

GeechieCurlz
10-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Has anyone ever wondered just whose names we're listing here? It's kind of funny because when you think about it, these names really don't belong to us.

You mean the origin of the names? If so, I was looking online last week and found some information on last names that made sense. Some of the info I found, I already knew...i.e. last name "Richardson"--meant son of Richard...or "Taylor"---meant that someone in the family was a tailor, etc. Some of the last names are our ancestors' masters names. Is that what you meant?

I used those examples because I just found out that I have another set of family in NY with the last name "Watson." That's because my maternal gg-ma remarried once she moved up north to find a better job and never came back south.

KnottyAuthor
10-18-2009, 05:14 PM
King and Moyer and Galloways from Mt Airey, NC and Reedsville/Leaksville, NC also Weirton, WVA

Robinsons from Thomasville, GA

colochita1215
10-19-2009, 02:36 AM
Maternal: of Amherst, VA
Great Grandfather: Huie E Dayne Oct 14, 1899- Dec 1973
Great Grandmother: Mamie Smith Dayne (couldn't find her in the SS death index)
Grandmother: Maxine Clara Dayne Malone of Lynchburg, VA
Grandfather: Robert Malone of Ford, VA

pretty sure that my great grandmother was a descendant of people from the west indies, not exactly where though, but my mom told me this when i was younger...

Paternal: don't have much info about my dad's family
Grandfather: William Mckinley Walthall Apr 6, 1930- May 1982

jalarise84
10-20-2009, 09:43 PM
You mean the origin of the names? If so, I was looking online last week and found some information on last names that made sense. Some of the info I found, I already knew...i.e. last name "Richardson"--meant son of Richard...or "Taylor"---meant that someone in the family was a tailor, etc. Some of the last names are our ancestors' masters names. Is that what you meant?

I used those examples because I just found out that I have another set of family in NY with the last name "Watson." That's because my maternal gg-ma remarried once she moved up north to find a better job and never came back south.

Hello GeechieCurlz! Yeah, that's what I meant about these names not belonging to us. A lot of them, if not all, do belong to the masters of our ancestors. It's a crying shame that we are the only group of people who cannot trace back our ancestry, but oh well, what can we do? Only God can help us.

alphaangel4
10-23-2009, 05:57 AM
I know that my great aunt on my mother's side was trying to trace our family history at some point and all I know that she has come to so far is my great grandfather's parents. Here's all I know about my mother's side:

My great grandfather's name is Clarence Martin from the Knox City, Tx area. My great grandmother's name was Livada Brown possibly from the California area (she died right after my mother was born). Livada had a child from a previous relationship when she married my great grandfather. They ended up having about 11 children of their own including my grandmother Dorothy, Clarence Jr. (died as a baby), Mac, Johnny, Emma, Barbara, Ethel, Larry, Freddie, Herman, Joseph.

I was also told that Clarence's parents were Green (possibly Native American) and Martha Martin.

If there is anyone here that has even heard of Knox City, Tx or Rochester, Tx you may know who I'm talking about. I think my family are the only blacks there, that I've ever seen anyway. lol!!!

yolibee
10-26-2009, 12:01 AM
paternal - buie and bouttiay (spelling is off on the latter but it's pronounced "boottay--not even kidding!)

i know that my dad's family migrated from new orleans to the midwest in '40s and that they've been here ever since. i think my last name is french creole, but google searches has also led me to scottish :/.

maternal - anderson/williams. my mom's family migrated to the midwest from mississippi in the '50s and have been here ever since.

if any of y'all out there are buies...you know we're probably related with that weird last name! lol

Bluegardenia
10-26-2009, 04:52 PM
^^^^^yolibee, there are some boutte's here, but they pronounce it boo-tee. I'm in New Orleans, btw....

Off and on I've been trying to search but to do it through the sites are too expensive!

Maternal: I can only go back to my great grandmother but it's not much.
Gray/Grey. The stories conflict about her background they say she was either half indian or half white. Not sure.
No info on my grandmother's dad, but he died by electric chair in the mid 20's.
Victor/Dorsey was my grandfather's mother last name. They came from Lafayette/Bridge City, LA.

Paternal: Grandmother:Bellizaire/Bellizan New Roads, LA. Someone did a research in '99, I think and said that they were from Haiti, but the cities they mentioned I couldn't find on a map, so I don't know how true that is.
Great Grandfater: Bridgewater. Was half white, I thought they were from New Roads too but my sis told me they came from MS.

dcbrown
10-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Here goes what I know about my family:

Paternal:
Grandmother: Maiden name- Johnson from Collins area, MS. Said her dad was Black Indian (from my research it's a mixture of Black ancestry and Native American) (My mom thinks Blackfoot but it doesn't add up)
Grandfather: Brown from Mobile, AL but moved to MS

Maternal:
(Grandma's Mom)Great Grandmother: Maiden name- Rogers from MS (Indianola I want to say) married a Carter (deceased) remarried a Wilder (deceased)
(Grandma's Dad) Great Grandfather: Carter from MS

(Granddad's Dad)Great Grandfather: Simpson from MS (Indianola as well)
(Granddad's Mom) Great Grandmother: Sturggess (sp?) (I'm assuming MS)

Bloosom
10-27-2009, 10:32 PM
It is hard to trace Africans that were owned by plantation owners.

I grew up with a last name that was given to my father by his step dad. His real father's name (based on my dad's (now deceased) birth cert.) was Charles Jones from Chicago. My family knows nothing but a name. We have no history about my real grandfather.

Another thing that puzzles me is that people always asks me if I am Haitian, African, Jamaican, or Afro-Brazilian. It is quite obvious that Black people have various features signature to the areas their families originated from. I am straight up African American. I am more than sure my look comes from my mom's dad's side because my mom looked exactly like her dad. His paternal side was questionable as well. I wonder how I can find out, by cheap DNA at least, where this not-from-here look comes from.

Any suggestions accepted!

mariajay
10-28-2009, 12:39 AM

I grew up with a last name that was given to my father by his step dad. His real father's name (based on my dad's (now deceased) birth cert.) was Charles Jones from Chicago. My family knows nothing but a name. We have no history about my real grandfather.

Another thing that puzzles me is that people always asks me if I am Haitian, African, Jamaican, or Afro-Brazilian. It is quite obvious that Black people have various features signature to the areas their families originated from. I am straight up African American. I am more than sure my look comes from my mom's dad's side because my mom looked exactly like her dad. His paternal side was questionable as well. I wonder how I can find out, by cheap DNA at least, where this not-from-here look comes from.

It's no surprise that people ask if you're from these places cause don't forget we were displaced after being taken out of Africa. Brazil has the largest Black population outside of Africa (thanks to the Portuguese). Our ancestors were strewn all over the place.

carboncopysue
10-28-2009, 12:43 AM
^^^I don't know of any "cheap" DNA tests, but if you do get a DNA test to trace your mother's father's side, then you should perform the test on a male member of your mother's lineage, like a brother or uncle.

The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) allows you to get a copy of the original social security application of a deceased person. Last time I looked, it costs $27 per application. So, you can get your father's application, and possibly your grandfather's application (if he had a social security number).

The information is valuable because you get an address and the parents' names. I received my grandfather's ss application and I found the house where he lived. My brother did a zip code search and it looks like we still have family in the area. I just haven't dug deeper than that since I live in a different state.

HTH.

Sue.

ChandraNH
10-29-2009, 03:42 PM
I'll add to the mix:

Maternal
Grandmother: Ruth Milam (Louisiana). She married Owens (Tennessee I think, maybe Mississippi), then Blackmon (Tennessee) then Small (Memphis)
Grandfather: All I know is Blackmon (Blackman). My mother's father, don't know much about him except that he died was I was a toddler (I'm 40 now).

Paternal
Merryweather (Merrywhether, Meriwhether, Merriweather). Tennessee. My father's name was Charles Anthony Merryweather, from Memphis, TN. I didn't know him well and know almost nothing about his side of the family.

Bloosom
10-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Paternal: My Father's, Father's side:
Jones--Chicago

Father's Maternal side:
Whittle---Bahamas
Fisher---Bahamas

Maternal: Mom's, Mom's side
Battle--Georgia
Brown--Georgia

Paternal:
Price--Georgia
Anderson--Georgia

Fro-neesha09
11-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Here goes.

Paternal:
Deming (texas)
Butcher (texas)

Maternal:
Richardson (texas)
Price (texas)

zhane
11-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Maternal- Hairston immediate family from Walnut cove, Nc Traced all the way back to Scotland

My granddad is a Kendrick- Sparta, GA

Paternal

Rucker- Georgia

Hairson's is the largest family in the world. We have 2 website
www.hairston.org (whites)
www.hairstonclan.com (blacks)

Also their is a book written about my family,
Hairstons' A American family in Black and White.
by Henry Weincek

icetia
11-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Here's some names in my family:

Maternal:
Shelton-from Goochland, VA
Whitley-from Sussex County, VA (Tidewater region)
Mayo-Columbia, Fluvanna County, VA
Ware-Fluvanna County, VA

Paternal:
Thomas- Petersburg, VA/Roanoke (Tidewater region) VA
Green-Blands, Prince George, VA
Richardson-Blands, Prince George, VA
Wright- Petersburg, VA

Hopefully I can find some cousins on here!

jorjeni
11-10-2009, 12:48 AM
My father told me last night my Aunt has a book with the family history on it so I am going to email her tonight and see if she can send it to me. I found out we are from Tennessee not Arkansas. My fathers great grandfather came from Tennessee to Arkansas as a child.

ronaeb
11-22-2009, 05:11 AM
Paternal:

Grandfather: Thomas/Tommy BAKER- Sparr/ Ocala Florida....moved to White Planes,NY
Grandmother: Arzella HADDOCK great grandmother Alberta DAVIS maiden is believed to be ACOSTA- Lake City/ Tampa Florida....Acosta tracing back to Cuba

Maternal:

Grandfather: Wilson WASHINGTON- Canton/Pickens Mississippi...moved to Gary, IN
Grandmother: Doretha DAWSON Canton/Pickens Mississippi....moved to Gary, IN

*Also related to EVANS of Detriot, MI and Gary,IN, Chicago IL

curlz4me
11-30-2009, 06:47 AM
Any info on a Melvin Richards from West Wego or New Orleans LA would be greatly appreciated.

Maternal side: Glenn from Helena Arkansas area

carrolina
12-01-2009, 03:10 AM
Maternal

Honeywood - Louisiana, Memphis

Paternal

Parker - Memphis
Wilson - Mississippi

My mother's maiden name is Honeywood and her family is from Chicago by way of Louisiana. Forget the name of the Parish, but I'll be back with it...

I have to get my family tree out so I can be thorough. I shall return...:D

QMBJoy
12-13-2009, 06:56 PM
I am also looking for honeywoods! I found a few from Tensas Parish that moved to Cali. I believe my great grandfather is El Igah Honeywood or Elijah Honeywood! We will help each other out...

naturalchoclet
12-15-2009, 01:38 AM
ok, here we go...

paternal: Newell- Hattiesburg, MS (there's a Newell Rd. named after the family name)

maternal: Lindsey- Country of Panama (some in New Jersey, Chicago, & New York)

I don't have a lot of family here (Shreveport, LA), just my mom and I. It would be nice to connect with cousins, aunts, & uncles.

naturalchoclet

Alisondra
12-16-2009, 10:34 PM
I have sooo many relatives whom I would love to find. I'll prolly have to do this in multiple posts.

My mother's name was Wilma Smith (Some elders called her Velma Smith--not sure what that was about). She was possibly born and definitely raised in or around Kansas City, MO. She moved to Washington State as a teen to live with her aunt (on her dad's side) & uncle, Beatrice (Smith) Perkins and Mack Perkins.

My mom lived in Long Beach, CA for several years in the 1970s. She died in 1984 (kidney failure).

Her mom was named Ora Mae Smith. Smith was her married name. I am not sure of her maiden name. She had 8 children: Agnes Marie Smith, Wilma (my mother), Ida Mae Smith, Newton LaMorris Smith, Kinsey Smith, Woodrow (I think that's a name), David and one more son that I'm not sure of. I'm also not sure of the last names on the younger boys. One of my uncles died in the late 60s while playing russian roulette.

Her dad was named Newton Smith. He is buried here in Washington State and that's all I know about him.

Grandma Ora, I only met her once, and I was under a year old when that happened (sometime between 1967 - 1968). She was murdered by her husband or boyfriend sometime in the 1970s.

My aunt Ida, I met twice. She came to Washington to visit us. She was murdered somewhere in California by her husband. I believe the last name was Campbell.

To find any of my mother's relatives would be wonderful.

Alisondra
12-16-2009, 10:45 PM
On my dad's side, I'd like to find relatives from his biological's father's family.

Last name: Dedmond - Little Rock, Arkansas

HunnyLuv82
12-18-2009, 12:00 AM
On my Father's Side:

My grandfather-Marvin Binford (Huntsville, Alabama)
My grandmother- Luecresia (Garrett) Binford (Decatur, Alabama)

On my Mother's Side:
My grandfather- Joseph Holmes (Born in Gainsville, Florida but moved to Selma, Alabama after he was orphaned)
My grandmother- Estelle (Suttles) Holmes (Selma, Alabama)

Now I'm really looking for information about my grandfather Joseph Holmes. My family only knows a few family members from his side and they are older. So any info is greatly appreciated about him.

Also if you think you are related to the Binford or Benford families' (the black side) send me a message. I can definitely clarify it for you.

HunnyLuv82
12-18-2009, 12:13 AM
On my dad's side, I'd like to find relatives from his biological's father's family.

Last name: Dedmond - Little Rock, Arkansas

Maternal: of Amherst, VA
Great Grandfather: Huie E Dayne Oct 14, 1899- Dec 1973
Great Grandmother: Mamie Smith Dayne (couldn't find her in the SS death index)
Grandmother: Maxine Clara Dayne Malone of Lynchburg, VA
Grandfather: Robert Malone of Ford, VA

pretty sure that my great grandmother was a descendant of people from the west indies, not exactly where though, but my mom told me this when i was younger...

Paternal: don't have much info about my dad's family
Grandfather: William Mckinley Walthall Apr 6, 1930- May 1982

I am related to some Malones. My family also was owned as slaves in the state of Virginia before they were taken to Alabama. The mother of my great grandfather was a Malone.There are some Malones that live in Louisville, KY, Eastern Ohio, and Central Indiana. They have a reunion every year in Indiana I hear.

curlymrs
12-23-2009, 04:51 AM
:)i'm glad to see that this thread is still alive! Keep it going because you never know who you might meet.

Bklyn78
12-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Jefferson - Paternal from Emporia/Jarrett VA
Getties SC

Maternal- Robinson New York Area

mariajay
12-25-2009, 12:44 AM
HELP! I'm trying to find the post who has a connection with the last name Hull. I remember reading it a few months ago but for the life of me cannot find it. I'm from England and this is my father's last name. However i know he has quite a few relatives in the States and Canada whom i have never met. He was born in Antigua and told me once that his grandfather was a Scottish man. This is strange cause i've never heard of any other Hull. Also i see Davis is a common name that was my great grandma's maiden name from my mums side. She was from Dominica and i'm told was part or full Awarak Indian, could even be Asian Indian. Davis is actually Welsh.

canarsiechik88
12-25-2009, 04:24 AM
first off HEYYYYY MARIA JAY :))

back on topic

Paternal last name: Alcide (from my grandma) my grandpa last name is Senecal

Maternal Last name: Renelien and my grandma (mom's mom) last name is Zomen

Origins are from Haiti- but possibly have Hispanic due to DR being next to Haiti...not too sure

Mye Thyme
12-29-2009, 02:04 PM

Thanx in advance

There is a Wikipedia article about the Native American Mingo tribe. You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mingo. I would also suggest checking out Ancestry.com. Most of the time, their name origin page is often helpful, but it seems to lack a lot for some name origins. When I typed in Mingo, it gives scanty info about a handful of immigrants from Austria (4), Hungary (3), Spain (2), Norway, Mexico, and Italy (1 each). None of which came to the US prior to 1880s. Searching further, the Ancestry.com message boards indicates there's a HUGE number of Mingos dating back at least to the 1700s right here in the U.S.

I would suggest if you do not already have an Ancestry.com membership, go to your local library and log onto Ancestry.com from there. Most libraries subscribe to Ancestry. You can call ahead to make sure. From there you can do your own research and even if you can not find an actual origin, you can have fun uncovering your ancestral past.

luvinme
01-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Maternal
Gates, Wilson, Toliver ( or Tolivar), Allen, Porter, Franklin Wright, Lesueur, - Mobile, AL

Paternal
Baker, Barnes- Picayune, MS
Belt, King - Yellow Pine or State Line, AL

SweetHoneyLocs
01-04-2010, 06:07 PM
HELP! I'm trying to find the post who has a connection with the last name Hull. I remember reading it a few months ago but for the life of me cannot find it. I'm from England and this is my father's last name. However i know he has quite a few relatives in the States and Canada whom i have never met. He was born in Antigua and told me once that his grandfather was a Scottish man. This is strange cause i've never heard of any other Hull. Also i see Davis is a common name that was my great grandma's maiden name from my mums side. She was from Dominica and i'm told was part or full Awarak Indian, could even be Asian Indian. Davis is actually Welsh.

I have Hulls in my family, on my mother's side from Maryland.

mariajay
01-04-2010, 07:00 PM

Ok, what do you know of their origin?

mariajay
01-04-2010, 07:10 PM

Bklyn78
01-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Maternal
Gates, Wilson, Toliver ( or Tolivar), Allen, Porter, Franklin Wright, Lesueur, - Mobile, AL

Paternal
Baker, Barnes- Picayune, MS
Belt, King - Yellow Pine or State Line, AL

We aren't blood related but my aunt married a Toliver his name is Michael and he lives in Oakland, Ca.

lilletti0486
01-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Ooo!! I would like to contribute my families names.

Paternal:
Grandmother: Harney
Grandfather: Pinckney

Maternal:
Grandmother: Jenkins
Grandmother: Porcher

And all my family is from Charleston, SC. Even though my uncle on my mom's side, said that a lot of our family is also from Haiti and that we might have some family in New Orleans as well. I'll have to look that up someday.

KalimbaJakenjuwha
01-17-2010, 01:15 AM
My turn!!! :)

Maternal:
Origin: Rowland, SC
Grandpa: Hamilton
Grandma: Mattie Hamilton(maiden name unknown.)

Paternal:
Origin: Sandersville, GA
Grandpa: Salter
Grandma: I don't know.

I'm actually more concerned about finding out which Native American tribe is, mainly Mattie, who may possible be Lumbee Indian.

musicallyjoyeful
01-26-2010, 07:29 PM
I added my stuff under my old name but of course u know we had to get new names..but here is my family

all from VIRGINIA

MOODY
HASKINS
BOYD
SANFORD
CHAPMAN
JOHNSON
SHORT
ELAM

etc.

musicallyjoyeful
01-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Here's some names in my family:

Maternal:
Shelton-from Goochland, VA
Whitley-from Sussex County, VA (Tidewater region)
Mayo-Columbia, Fluvanna County, VA
Ware-Fluvanna County, VA

Paternal:
Thomas- Petersburg, VA/Roanoke (Tidewater region) VA
Green-Blands, Prince George, VA
Richardson-Blands, Prince George, VA
Wright- Petersburg, VA

Hopefully I can find some cousins on here!

There are alot of Blands in the Petersburg area..they own a funeral home.

RaeShouna
01-27-2010, 05:33 PM
On my mother's side: All from Saluda, SC
Henley
Dobbs
Fraiser

My Father's side
Cooley from Jamaica
I do know from dad's side we are from the Sally Heming's
brood.

Crowning_Glory
01-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Wow this is so interesting I have other family names but I cant remember who they belonged to time for more research! Message me if you want!

Father Stallworth Alabama
Mother Lee Alabama
Maternal mother Fountain
Maternal great grandmother Andrews
Maternal grandfather Alabama Kyles
Paternal grandmother Alabama Kemp
Paternal great grandmother Sanders/Saunders I believe she may have been from Chicago

Lady.Capri
01-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Most of my family's in Pennsylvania on both sides but also came from South Carolina
Maternal:
Mother -Richardson
Grandmother - Staggers (Her fam's from Kingstree SC)
Grandfather - Richardson-Carr (His mother was a orphan)
Paternal:
Father - Cullars (I think his fam's from Georgetown SC but moved to Philadelphia)

youwillrise
02-01-2010, 06:47 AM
oooh. i like this!

maternal:

grandfather's surname - moultry (coffee county alabama)
grandfather's mom's maiden name - barrow
grandmother's maiden name - strother (she and her siblings were born and raised in sharon, connecticut, but both her parents are from around culpeper, virginia)
grandmother's mom's maiden name - clore

paternal:

father's surname - catts (my father was born and raised on long island, new york, but both his parents are from alabama. his father is from dallas county, alabama)

my father's done some research on his side of the family
i've known some of the other last names he's researched
but i cant think of them right now! i'll ask him soon.

babyde04
02-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Gardiner??? London???

babyde04
02-05-2010, 08:19 AM

My mother's maiden name is Gardiner and she is from Jamaica, but her father lived in london.

Gardiner??? London???
My best friend's last name is Gardiner and her father is from London via Jamaica...hmmm...I will tell her to get on this thread so ya'll can chat it up.

bejai
02-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Maternal - Vines from Rocky Mount, NC
Paternal - White from Charlott, VA

tinka2lover
02-20-2010, 08:00 AM
I have a friend whose last name is Artis, his family is from Alabama and his father is alive and currently residing in Texas. If you are interested FB the name Artis just to see who comes up.

Artis - Virginia

tinka2lover
02-20-2010, 08:31 AM
did a bit of Geneology research so here is what i know

PATERNAL/PATERNAL
Nelson-Choctow from Clarendon,SC

PATERNAL/MATERNAL
Green-SC

MATERNAL/MATERNAL
mom's mom=Fulton, she 1st married a Bullock

MATERNAL/PATERNAL
mom's dad=Austin, his mom=Mckoy(Mckay) her mom=Lomax
mom's dad married=Richardson & her mom=Davis

AUSTIN(AUSTON)=IRISH 1st trace to a Charly(Charley)(Charles) or Charlie who remarried in NY

Ummaziza
02-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Ratliff - Mississippi, Tennessee
Coleman-Mississppi, Tennessee

jorjeni
02-23-2010, 01:04 AM
Brown, Bonner Mitchell and Mcclendon Family reunion July 30th- Aug 1st 2010 Cleveland Mississippi Anyone attending

HEY CUS!!!

My aunt just sent me some of the information that we have about the family even a copy of the 14th census from 1920 with my grandfathers family.

Grandfather-William Eldridge Brown- McCory Ar.
Grandmother-Selma Marie Samuels-McCory Ar.
Great Grandfather -Oscar Ernest Brown -Little Rock Ar.
Great Grandmother-Eula Elizabeth Bonner-Fayetteville TN
Great Great Grandfather-James Brown
Great Great Grandmother-Virginia McClendon

tinka2lover
02-24-2010, 06:15 PM
What I know of my family lineage is:

Paternal:
grandfather: Green, from SC
grandmother: Harrison, from south GA
dad: Harrison, from Miami, FL

Maternal:
great-grandmother: Flowers, from Nassau, Bahamas
great-grandfather: Bullard, from Miami, FL
grandmother: Bullard, from Miami, FL
mom: Bullard, from Miami, FL

One of the interesting family stories is that my great-grandmother came over with a sister, and they both ended up marrying brothers. I don't recall ever meeting the sister, but my great-grandmother lived to be about 95, and died in the mid-1990s. So, I remember her very well. She was the glue to our extended family (the great-grandparents had 11 kids that really multiplied).

Do you know any more information on your Paternal Grandfather's family? My Paternal Grandmother was a Green, from SC also..

naturalhigh1
03-02-2010, 11:05 PM
My biological father's last name is Brice, and he was from Chicago.

I don't know much about him or his family so any info would be greatly appreciated!

SammyB
03-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I like this topic.

Maternal:
Grandmother-McClinton (Kansas City, Mo)
Grandfather-Harvey (Oklahoma)

Paternal:
Grandfather-Bradley. (Tennessee/Kansas City, Mo)

*I don't know my Granny's name though.*

SammyB
03-05-2010, 02:24 PM

PATERNAL/PATERNAL

PATERNAL/MATERNAL
Green-SC

MATERNAL/MATERNAL
mom's mom=Fulton, she 1st married a Bullock

MATERNAL/PATERNAL
mom's dad=Austin, his mom=Mckoy(Mckay) her mom=Lomax
mom's dad married=Richardson & her mom=Davis

AUSTIN(AUSTON)=IRISH 1st trace to a Charly(Charley)(Charles) or Charlie who remarried in NY

**My family is choctaw as well! My Maternal grandfather was a choctaw mix**

dabster202
04-01-2010, 01:59 AM
Paternal

Maternal
Crawford- Shreveport, LA

Step Dad
Hodges- Mississippi

My Grandmothers last name was Hodges and she was born and raised in Mississippi!

BeautifulFlow
04-07-2010, 08:31 PM
I'll do my best!

Paternal

Greatgrandmother-Tidwell, not sure what area but most of them live in Indiana

Grandmother-Hardy, again, not sure on original, but a lot of them live in Indiana

Grandfather-Austin, Chicago

Maternal
Grandfather-Parchman, Union City, Tennesse

And I don't know beyond that, but now I'm going to find out!

ebbydyme76
04-09-2010, 02:14 PM
I don't know much about my family either. but this is what I know.
Paternal grandad-Jim McLaughlin born Cohay Mississippi June 1909
Paternal Grandma Lillian Lorraine Fore born Batesville Mississippi September 1915
Maternal Grandma Percy Lee Readus born Canton MS October 1932
Maternal Granpa James Lee Black born May 1932

Anyone before that is questionable, because my maternal grandads mother was Native American and from the stories she changed her name to Victoria from something else and we never knew what the name was. My paternal grandmother was the same story more or less. All I know is it the family last names are Readus, McGruder, Black, Anderson, Ford Jordan, McLaughlin, Christian. I actually found a branch of McLaughlins In North Carolina, but I'm not sure there is a connection. Does any of the names and/or locations sound familiar to anyone?

BBNappyEdits
04-13-2010, 04:14 PM
This is an interesting thread, as I have become enthralled with family history lately.

Paternal

Hinton-Hattiesburg, MS
Moore-?, MS

Maternal

McSwain-Richton, MS
Hinton-Richton, MS

chocolynne
04-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Paternal
Tarr/Kentucky
Oldham/Kentucky

Maternal
Gregg/Georgia (I think)
Jackson/Georgia

fbj355
04-28-2010, 08:04 PM
New addition...
Father's family - Bourne (grandfather) Southern Maryland
Howe (grandmother) Southern Maryland
Mother's family- Bates (grandfather) Virginia
Barnes (grandmother) Baltimore

Keep the thread going...Add your information...You never know who you may find.

ctaylor
05-03-2010, 07:14 PM
I just would like to locate some of my grandfather's relatives...his mom's last name was McKinzie and father's last name was Wade...he was a white male that we have not been able to trace...there are from Texas...

niicole83
05-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Paternal
Sullivan/Chaney(Cheney)- South Carolina
Scarborough - South Carolina/North Carolina and Pennsylvania

Maternal
Shannon- South Carolina
Ellerbee (through many generations the spelling has changed)- New York

BeattyBugg
05-10-2010, 02:27 AM
My family's surname is Williams, and Wallace originally from Beaufort, South Carolina and Savannah, Georgia and other surrounding areas of Beaufort, and Savannah.

My grandfather's name was Thomas Williams and so was his father's name, but I'm told they called his father Limus. Someone along that line someone was Mulatto, (half white and half black) red hair ran on the Williams side of the family.

My grandmother's maiden name was Mary Wallace, then when she married my grandfather she became Mary Williams. My grandmother's people were said to be part Native American.

Have family that moved away and live in New Jersey, New York, and California. Also may have some family in Fla.

mariajay
05-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Paternal

Maternal
Crawford- Shreveport, LA

Step Dad
Hodges- Mississippi

My grandfather is a Davis and was born in Dominica, i think it's his mother's maiden name who was either of Awarak or Asian (Indian) descent. Nobody in my family seems to be sure of this not even my grandfather. It's originally Welsh, so the slave masters would have given their name to our ancestors. It's also my nieces' family's name who are from South Africa.

MilaK
06-01-2010, 11:11 PM
paternal: Last name Kirk-Orgin Ghana and my people were transferred to New Orleans and Dallas Texas

maternal: Last name Joshua- Jonesville, Texas (East Texas)

SweetHoneyLocs
06-02-2010, 02:35 PM

Sorry for seeing this all late. I really don't much about the Hulls, I do know we are connected through marriage. IN fact Matilda Hull is my great great grandmother. The ones that I am connected to originate out Eastern Shore, Md (Wetipquin) area. I can get information on them, I know that some of them live in PA.

Seldon (George Seldon (1839) married Matilda Hull (1844 as far has I have been able to go back)

----------------------------------------
Originally Posted by tinka2lover http://www.nappturality.com/forum/images/merhania/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2132023#post2132023)

PATERNAL/PATERNAL

PATERNAL/MATERNAL
Green-SC

**My family is choctaw as well! My Maternal grandfather was a choctaw mix**

My dad's mother was 1/2 Choctaw (Beaufort/Yemassee, SC) her parents names can be found on the Choctaw census of the late 1880's-early 1900's.

newcurlymama
06-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Maternal:
Jackson--Houston/Texas
Moore--Houston, Texas/Louisiana

Paternal:
Wilrich(Willrich)--La Grange/Houston/Texas
Johnson--SugarLand/Ft. Bend County/Texas

Well, I know you are related to a friend of mine cuz she is a Willrich and always talking about the fam reunion in LaGrange!!! lol

newcurlymama
06-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Paternal- Phillips (Centerville, TX)
Grandmothers maiden-Murphy (Palestine, TX)

BelindaLuz
06-10-2010, 12:56 AM
Now that I have read this whole thread, with many intruptions, I will add the short version of my tree. I have trees or list of names on veriouse genealogy sites.

The women on my mothers side starting with me, then my mother, them my mothers mother and then my mothers, fathers mother (my greatgrandma), then my great gradn mothers mother.
Carreras -> Holman -> Green (Greene) -> Hallman -> Roe. My mothers, fathers family is from Batesburge/Leesville, Akin, and Columbia SC for my GreatGrandMother and Columbia/Charleston, SC for my Great Grand Father
My mothers mother is from PA

The men are Holman and Hallman

My dads father is Carreras
Puerto Rico and Spain
My dad said most of his fathers family decends from the Spainards that raped PR

My dads mom is Rosario and his grand mother is Valle
Puerto Rico and ???
My dad said that his moms family desend mostly from the Africans that jumpped ship and or where brought to PR as slaves.

Familia donde va?

There are Hallmans in Albany NY and D.C. and my mothers mom could be Davis (she is very secrative)

BelindaLuz
06-10-2010, 01:35 AM
My father's last name is Davis. I'm not sure where they are from in the south but, some of them moved to Cairo, Illinois and Indianapolis. I guess we do have Carribean roots because when I visited the Bahamas with my fiance last summer, one of the natives asked me if I was from there. And when I said "no", she looked at me in disbelief and then continued to ask if I was sure for about 10 minutes. Also, my fiance's mother is from Jamaica and when his grandmother met me for the first time, she asked him if I was from the Carribean when I left.

People out side of the U.S. of A. know when they spot one of their own.

I visited D.C. Ethiopians where speaking to me in their native tounge (which I do not understand BTW)

When my mother was in Kuwait, the Ethiopians "adopted" her as one of their own.(peanut butter complected)

When her second younger brother went to Kuwait six months later the Kenyans "adopted" him. (brownish black -as he is more black than brown)

I saw a picture of a Samalian woman who looked EXACTLY like my mothers first youngest brother (she had four under her on over her).

We have to remember when the Europian slave runners bought us from our verious neighbors who had us as slaves and or kiddnapped us from our villages in Africa, those slave runners seperated families by throwing/dumping whole and or partial family units in the ocean before getting to whatever port they were going to. Those slave runnes also seperated whole or partical family units at veriouse port, i.e. slave runner sales mom in Brazil, dad in Cuba, brother in Hispanola (D.R./Haiti) and sister in the U.S. of A (to name a few of the countries with ports, let's not for get the rest of South America and rest of the Carribian. This was to insure we would not find each other.
Then you have the slave masters in the U.S. of A. buying sister in Charleston, SC breeding her (with his seed or that of another slave) as if she were an animal and sold her child to other southern states and with in the slave masters state.

All of that to say. Our family member outside of the U.S. of A. know who we are. We do not recognize each other and that is sad. I have recognized my own, but my own has not recognized me.

I bet you "dimes to donuts" you two are distant relations.

BelindaLuz
06-10-2010, 01:41 AM
We may be related! There are some Youngbloods in my family, but I'm not sure how

Youngblood - Louisiana
Holloman(sp) - Louisiana
Pea - North Louisiana (I hear that there are Pea's in Ponchaloula, La, but they aren't in my family)
Sanders - Louisiana
Spears - Louisiana

Holloman and Hallman are veriations of each other.

Possible relation?

BelindaLuz
06-10-2010, 02:02 AM
My family has been in Claiborne Parish, Louisiana since the mid-1800's, but they all came in from Georgia with a few exceptions. So everyone listed is automatically connected to Louisiana and Georgia unless otherwise noted.

West, McGee*, Benton, Williams**, Daniels, Martin***, Walker, Bradford, Sanders, Terrell

Notes:
*also in Alabama
** also in South Carolina,
*** also in South Carolina, possibly North Carolina

Also, the Daniels branch has some type of mixed ancestry. She's my great-grandmother. The pictures we have show that's she's very light-skinned. Assorted relatives give different answers about her lineage. I've gotten Native American/White, Native American/Black, White/Black, and full Native American. And it's not even entirely definite that Daniels is her father, though it is given as a common surname on the Dawes roll.

As an added bonus, those who say she's Native American can't agree on a tribe. Those who say she's half-Black say she's Blackfoot Cherokee, which makes sense if you know what Blackfoot Cherokee is. Those who say she's full-blooded NA say that she's a mix of at least 4 different tribes, including Blackhawk. :dunno:

Funny you should bring up the riddle in your family.

I head the same about my Great Grand mother. Same veriations and no one agreement.

I did reseach on the Native tribes in the area she grew up in right before and during her time and no of them fit.

I did the white/Native & black/Native and what do you know none of it fit. The native in that area would die before taking a "pale face" as their own and many (not all) natives saw black as black pale faces doing the pales face dirty work. There are a few accptions to this rule. Tina Turner is actually part NA (pre African American Lives on PBS). Most of "us" are not. (That goes for white people in the south telling you their grand/great grand or great great grand mother/father -almost always mothre- is full blooded or half Native American. They are black. period. There acestor was "passing" not knowing their DNA would tell on them a few generations down the line.)

From what I have read on non-Native American web sites the Lumbee are also an exception to the rule. http://lumbee.web.unc.edu/tag/race/

I reseached the white/black thing and hit the nail on the head. First I tried to find her under the Freeman (Freemans) Registrar and I could not. I was hoping her mom was an indentured Irish woman who had a love affair with a black man.

That left me with Slave master slave and DING DING DING I had a winner.
Both my great grand mother's mom and dad are the slave masters children and I found the married couple as well as my great greand mother all living under one roof on the census.

I am not saying that your history will play out the same as mine did, but I serched for that woman since I was 13, before the internet. Things are a bit easier now.

I still want to take a trip to Charleston, but I can not do that until I get the names of Danile Hallman and "Mattie" Roe then go see what I can find...

BelindaLuz
06-10-2010, 02:09 AM
Maternal
Burke (Edenton, NC)
Wilder(Norfolk, VA Beach,Va)

Paternal

Watson
Lee (Clayton,NC)

It would be so wonderful if I could get some info on my maternal side. My grandmother was not raised by her mother, but a 1st cousin. No one ever talked about it until well after she passed away.... :(

I now live in Edenton and I homeschool so I am always at the libray.

When I first moved here 2009 06 01 the first thing I did was check out the genalogy data base.

If you would be so kind as to PM me with a full name of mom, her fater, her mother, her parents parents, I can see what I can find out. I can not promise you that I can find out anything, but this is one of those "whos yo peeples" kinda towns.

BelindaLuz
06-10-2010, 02:21 AM
I have an interesting last name and would like to find a match. My last name is Stiles its from my maternal grand father. My dads last name is Delaney and its my maternal grandfathers name. Im not sure of my grandmothers maiden names. Willie Mae Delaney is my dads mom name and she from mississippi her and my grandfather.

stiles

delaney

gordon

young

The first thing I thought of when I read Stiles was "Julia Stiles"

I looked up the names origin and it is from England.

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/Stiles-family-crest.htm

Your people could have taken on the slave masters lastname. It was a very common practice once slavery was abolished.

BelindaLuz
06-10-2010, 02:38 AM
I haven't had time to go back through both lists yet, but:

Maternal:

Paternal:

Shepard (Providence, Rhode Island; Detroit, MI)--here's where the white folks enter on this side. I need more info about these folks.

I'm just getting started and there's so much ground to cover. But I've been searching through birth/death records and getting pertinent info from my oldest family members. While I'm home in Detroit in Jan, I plan to sit down with my Nana (great-grandmother), who is 97 years old to pick through some history. It's a blessing that I still have her as a resource. And I've been in constant contact with my grandma and my auntie who initally started compiling info, but hit a wall trying to find "Blackfoot" Indians and the reservation where my great-grandmother is supposed to have been born in Arkansas. That's it's own research project right there.

I'll update as I find out more.

Your blessing does not lye in the fact that your Nana is alive for you to ask her questions.

Your blessing is that she is willing to answer your questions. I am not speaking as one imbittered. I am speaking facts.
My great Greand Mothre DOB 1905 DOD 2008 refused to answer any of my questions and pretened not to hear or changed the subject.

You Nanas willingness to answer you is truly a blessing that should be charished.

Not only you, but anyone else on our forum who has family willing to share. If my GGF had out lived GGM I know he would have spilled the beans from how my mother speaks of him. But he did not and our history dided with them both.

People like me have to go unearth things thru documents that may or may not exisit. That is no fun.

Happy reseaching to all.

BelindaLuz
06-10-2010, 02:49 AM
My Grandmother's maiden name is Person.
She grew up in NC around enfield/scotland neck.
I am an houe and a half from Scottland Neck, NC

If you PM me her name I can see if I can find out any information for you.

BelindaLuz
06-10-2010, 02:51 AM
I had an Aunt, Josephine Julien (b.New Orleans 1918). Do you have any other Julien info?

Researching:
Maternal...
BROWN...Ascension Parish, Louisiana
GOSSIN...Switzerland to PA. to West Feliciana Parish, LA.
MONDE...San Domingo to LA.
CARR...MIssissippi
LINTON....Ascension PH. LA
[/b]

Paternal...
LOGWOOD...Alabama to LA.
NADEAU/NEAT...Canada to New Orleans
PELISSIER...New Orleans
AUBUCHON/OUBICHON...Missouri to New Orleans
LEBLANC...New Orleans

Paternal is heavy on the french. :)

BelindaLuz
06-10-2010, 03:01 AM
My great grandmother was born on a reservation in Mississippi. She called herself "Blackfoot Sioux". Problem, there does not seem to be Blackfoot or Sioux in MS. I found her family in Alabama in the 1880 Census. My GGGGGrandMother was listed as a Native born in VA. It seems they were on the move. May I suggest that you look for your GGMother's reservation in states near Arkansas as well.

I am also at a wall trying to find the MS Blackfoot reservation.

Abriviated Blackfoot history:
http://www.aaanativearts.com/printout654.html
http://sioux-indians.com/

BelindaLuz
06-10-2010, 03:13 AM
I am going to go back and read the other threads later but since I am on dial up....yeah, I'll just wait till I get to school and do that....

here is my info:
On my maternal side:
grandfather: last name lewis (he had 10 brothers and sisters)
great grandfather: thomas lewis
great grandmother: elnora goodwynn lewis, she had a sister name Charlotte Goodwynn

grandmother: her maiden name was beard, she became a lewis in marriage
my great grandmother: Viola "Ma" Ashford Beard
my great grandfather: waymond beard jr.
my great great grandmother: betty ashford
my great great grandfather: waymond beard sr.

This info may or may not be correct (the info above). This is from a roughdraft of a family tree project I did last year. I cannot find the original and the computer the info was stored on crashed :(

From what I understand my grandmother Eloise Beard Lewis, was from south carolina.

My father's side of the family:
his father: Mack Lee, shot and killed by a family member when my father was seven. He was in his late 20's.
Great Grandfather: James Lee
Great Grandmother: Elizabeth "Lizzy" Lee

My father's mother: Mammie Carter Lee
My Great Grandfather: James "King Papa: Carter
my great grandmother: Gertrude Carter

oh yeah, as far as I am concerned, my father's side of the family is deeply rooted in hanover, va
From what he told me before he died, my family has roots in haiti as well.....but I don't know how true this is

My mother's father: "Lewis" has mohawk indian roots, now I don't know how true this info is as well, I am so skeptical of this "indian" stuff cause most times us black folks just don't want to admit we have white in us.

You speak the TRUTH sista!

Let us take our blinders off.

BelindaLuz
06-10-2010, 03:20 AM

Can I get an AMEN!

I have my "people" posted here as well, but I know my Great Great Grands are children of the slave master and have taken his name (or was given his name) as their own.

BelindaLuz
06-10-2010, 03:29 AM

*A patial quote from something I posted already*

our ancesters from out side of the U.S. of A. recognize their family anywhere.

I went in to how and why we were split apart...

BelindaLuz
06-10-2010, 03:32 AM
It's no surprise that people ask if you're from these places cause don't forget we were displaced after being taken out of Africa. Brazil has the largest Black population outside of Africa (thanks to the Portuguese). Our ancestors were strewn all over the place.

You said, what I said, (yours is condenced) before I read that you said it, before I posted it.:)

Vavoon
06-10-2010, 07:49 PM
my last name is Sainvil and as far as I am concerned, it is solely Haitian - our family line supposedly goes way back to/before the Haitian Revolution in 1804. Perhaps I should do a family tree line investigation of my own :)

felisha1980
06-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Clinkscale/Clinkcales same family.
Abron

mariajay
06-22-2010, 09:34 PM
You said, what I said, (yours is condenced) before I read that you said it, before I posted it.:)

I get you!

BabyTay
06-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Interesting thread.
My people are as follows:
Maternal Grandmother: PARTEE -her mother was a Choctaw or choctaw mix. (I just remember her long thick hair, even at 90 she could sit on it.)
My grandmother married a POWERS They all were from Panola and Tate County MS. I have a lot of family there as well as in Michigan, Indiana and Oklahoma. There were also quite a few Reeds at our family reunion 10 years ago.

My Paternal Grandmother is a TATE. Her family came from Middle Tennessee, Maury County I think. She married a MOORE. Most of this side still lives in the Memphis area.

mariajay
06-27-2010, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE=SweetHoneyLocs;2214241]Sorry for seeing this all late. I really don't much about the Hulls, I do know we are connected through marriage. IN fact Matilda Hull is my great great grandmother. The ones that I am connected to originate out Eastern Shore, Md (Wetipquin) area. I can get information on them, I know that some of them live in PA.

Seldon (George Seldon (1839) married Matilda Hull (1844 as far has I have been able to go back)

Thank you for getting back, i will definately look into this.
----------------------------------------

KellyVonn
06-30-2010, 06:47 AM
Great thread! Here's mine...

My fathers last name is Coon, from PA, Fl, AL, NJ

My mothers last name was Mills from Ohio

shugnatural
07-13-2010, 02:28 AM
This is a fun thread! Here are my two cents to add:

Maternal grandmother's side: Gates, Buchanan's, Davis ---all originated from mainly Mississippi and Alabama and migrated to Gary, Indiana, and Detroit Michigan in the early part of the 20th century.

Maternal grandfather's side: I know very little about my grandfather's family. What I do know: His last name is Whitehead and he migrated to Gary, Indiana from Mississippi. His father reportely left/ abandoned him and his mother (in Mississippi) and eventually remarried and started another family. My grandfather also had cousins (also Whitehead's) who settled in Chicago, IL. One of his cousin's from Chicago was nicknamed "Shug" which was reportely the inspiration for some of my family nicknaming me "Shug" I guess because I resembled her when I was a child.:)

I do not know much of anything about by paternal side, as my father was not really in my life. I am working on finding more information about his family.

mcharris42
07-14-2010, 10:41 AM
This is cool.

My mom's maiden name is Gwinn. Her father is from Bartlett County, TN (outside Memphis) and her mom is from St. Louis, MO (maiden name is Harris)

My dad's last name is Smith. He's from St. Louis, MO too.

My last name is Harris to match my mother's married name.

I know it's not blood but do you know where the Harris part of your family is from?

mschaira
08-02-2010, 05:58 AM
Maternal > Jack,Weathersby,Edwards
Paternal>Wilson, Delefosse, Doucet, Joseph

Iak
08-03-2010, 04:01 AM
Even though I haven't made so much as 4 posts, I'll chime in here. I did the whole ancestry.com thing a few months ago, so I have a good amount of this on hand.

Maternal family names: Gist, Moore, Aden, Miller, Whitmire/ Morton, Liburd
Paternal family names: Porter, Thompson/ Davis, McIness, Brown, Glover

Maternal grandfather: Gist (Native to Spartanburg, SC)
His mother's maiden: Moore (part Native American (Cherokee?), also from SC
His mat. grandmother's maiden: Aden (SC)
His mother's pat. grandmother's maiden: Miller (SC)
His pat. grandmother's maiden: Whitmire (SC)

Maternal grandmother's maiden: Morton (born in New Haven, CT to Nevis immigrants)
Mother's maiden: Liburd (Nevis)

Paternal grandfather: Porter (born and raised in Trinindad, immigrated to NY)
Mother's maiden: Thompson (Trinidad but apparently her father was from the Barbados)
Father was born in British Guiana

Paternal grandmother's maiden: Davis (family roots in Charleston, SC)
Mother's maiden: McIness
Her mat. grandmother's maiden: Brown
Her pat. grandmother's maiden: Glover

(In no real order) Family in Florida, D.C., Louisiana, Connecticut, NY, NJ, South Carolina, Nevis, Trinidad, California

MsVera
08-22-2010, 04:46 AM

Thanx in advance

If I remember right, there was some discussion on this surname on Afrigeneas.com a few years ago. I may well had done some look-ups for someone researching this name....I did quite a bit of that :)
You might want to search the forum archives there. Good luck!

MsVera
08-22-2010, 05:10 AM
opps double post....

MsVera
08-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Have been researching since 1995...lots of info, a few lines as far back as slavery *Odom and Grant*
I will post my website as soon as I get it up to date on current info. Contact me if you need any specifics :)
All Paterna lines........
Moore (Alabama 1870 to Jasper County, GA by 1874)
Burney (Putnam/Jasper Cos., Ga)
Odom (Putnam Co., Ga)
Grant (Henry Co., Ga)
Darden (Monroe/Henry Cos., Ga)
Hawkins (Elbert/Wilkes Co. Ga)
Hall (Elbert Co., Ga)
Burnes (Wilkes Co, Ga)
Morrison (Elbert/Stephens Cos. Ga)
Williams (Elbert County, Ga/SC)

Some lateral names include: Barber, Hall, Hix, Griggs, Gant(t), Vinson, McGarity, Cobb, Matthews, Flynt/Flint, and Pryor....of Jasper, Stephens, Monroe and Fulton Counties, Ga and Price and Williams of Salisbury, Rowan Co., NC.

MsVera
08-23-2010, 02:41 AM
I wanted to post a few helpful tips and give a few places to get started on family research. Hope this will help!
First things first. Get a pedigree chart and start with what you know....names, dates and places (birth, marriage, death). Interview elders, take notes from obituaries. Death records are often beneficial to research; you can usually find names of parents (mother's maiden name) and sometimes places of birth, place of burial, and get the name of the informer. Make note however, that this info given is only as good as the informer's knowledge.
Research the US Census records. Microfilmed records are available from 1790 on depending on geographic location. The 1870 Census is the first census including African American's post emancipation and the 1930 census is the latest available to the public. The 1890 census was destroyed in a fire. Many of these census years/records are available for free at various genealogy sites or you may visit your local library and see if Ancestry.com and/or Heritage Quest is accessible in their genealogy/research rooms. Many libraries allow remote access to these online subscriptions with your library card number via you home pc. Another place you will find these available (and many other records) is at your local LDS Family History Center. Any microfilm not available there can be ordered/borrowed from the main LDS center in SLC, Utah for a small fee around $4.50 where they can be viewed on site for 30 days. The LDS holds microfilm for marriage, death, court, estate/wills, and so on for the entire US and abroad. You can check out the Family Search Lab for a good many of these records being transcribed and made available to search for free. Check back often as new records become available routinely:
http://labs.familysearch.org/

The main LDS Family History website....do a search of the FHL Catalog for an idea of available records while you are there.
www.familysearch.org

African Ancestored Genealogy Forums
www.afrigeneas.com

Georgia's Virtual Vault-Ga Death Certificates 1919-1927 (view and download actual certificates)
http://content.sos.state.ga.us/cdm4/gadeaths.php

Georgia's Virtual Vault-Ga Non-indexed Death Certificates 1928-1930
http://content.sos.state.ga.us/cdm4/nondeath.php

Digital Library on American Slavery
http://library.uncg.edu/slavery/index.aspx?s=1

www.genealogywise.com (various forums)

www.genforum.com

Missouri Digital Heritage *including actual death certificates
http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resources/deathcertificates/

That's all for now....hope this helps a bit!

Vera

MsVera
08-23-2010, 03:34 AM
Paternal: My Father's, Father's side:
Jones--Chicago

Father's Maternal side:
Whittle---Bahamas
Fisher---Bahamas

Maternal: Mom's, Mom's side
Battle--Georgia
Brown--Georgia

Paternal:
Price--Georgia
Anderson--Georgia

Are your Anderson, Battle and Brown from Henry Co., Ga by chance? Also some of my MOORE lived/worked on the Oscar D. PRICE place in Jasper County, Ga between 1920-1930 according to the census records.

GoinNatty2ndGoRound
08-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Great post! Hopefully someone out there can give me some insight on my mother's family...

Mother maiden name- Leopold (Baton Rouge, LA)
Grandmother- Wilder (Arkansas)
Grandfather- Onzie Leopold (Baton Rouge, LA, never met him or his people)
Father- McCallister (he was adopted and I never met his adopted parents....)

My mother was born in LA then my grandmother transplanted her entire family to Portland, Oregon where I was born and raised.
My family jokes me to death about my nose which is very European. My nose might have something to do with my LA heritage.
If anyone has any info feel free to PM me!

canmechelle
08-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Mother Maiden name - Caldwell (Cedar Rapids, IA)
Grandmother maiden name - Cook (Jackson, MS)
Grandfather Caldwell (North Carolina (I think Raleigh)
Father - Mims (also Iowa but not sure if he was born there or where his people are from. I know that I have a half brother in NY but that could just be a rolling stone kinda thing)

My family on my mother's side is dwindling fast. My grandmother has information on her mother but she doesn't really know anything about her grandparents. I will post that name later. It would be great to be able to go back more than one generation past my grandmother.

HunnyLuv82
09-08-2010, 01:23 AM
I'm looking for anyone with the last name Holmes in Florida.

bejai
09-09-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm so excited to have this info available to me and to be able to share this info.
The marriage Sterlng Vines and Hannah Wooden Vines brought about the birth of Carrie Vines on May 11, 1894. She was raised in Edgecome County, NC. In 1919. My Grandmother Effie Vines Jackson was born in Rocky Mount, NC. MsVera I am so happy I signed today and found your information because I plan on researching and getting more information so we can update our book and pass it on. There's any a picture of Steriling and Carrie in the book.

Khalliqa
09-11-2010, 12:58 AM
*bumping this thread*

curLy_c0c0
09-14-2010, 02:47 AM
My last name is Peterkin (which I heard was russian)