PDA

View Full Version : Candelilla Wax

EmpressRi
07-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Has anyone tried to infuse this into any of their homemade concoctions? I did a search on here but didn't find much in the older posts. It looks like it would have beneficial uses.

EmpressRi
08-10-2007, 07:19 AM
bump bump shulta i see you! lol anything? anything to share pleeease? :D

hello kitty
08-11-2007, 02:18 PM
ok...i'm not shulta (and i won't pretend to be as knowledgeable :blush: )

i think that most people stay away from waxes in the hair (may cause buildup & be hard to wash out??) i know that when i first cut my hair...i made an effort to stay away from waxes, mineral oil, & petroleum.

but....i just ordered a bit of candelilla wax, along w/some carnauba wax...just wanted to try them out to see how they compare to beeswax in my lip balms and lotion bars.

when you say infuse...i am thinking of chamomile, nettles, lavender, etc simmered in warm oil...right??
with that said....the only wax that i would try to infuse would be jojoba oil (it's actually a wax)

i think that beeswax, carnuba, or candelilla wax would be too thick (and messy) to infuse...
i usually stick to olive, rice bran, jojoba, sunflower, etc for infusions.

hth,
:)

EmpressRi
08-12-2007, 10:27 AM
ooh. the wax i found is actually in a powdered form, and i have some redken smooth down butter treat and it has candelilla wax in it. that is the only hair product ive found with candelilla wax in it so i was curious to know if it was good to infuse in anything else.

thanks hello kitty!!!

shulta
08-12-2007, 10:44 AM
ok...i'm not shulta (and i won't pretend to be as knowledgeable :blush: )

i think that most people stay away from waxes in the hair (may cause buildup & be hard to wash out??) i know that when i first cut my hair...i made an effort to stay away from waxes, mineral oil, & petroleum.

but....i just ordered a bit of candelilla wax, along w/some carnauba wax...just wanted to try them out to see how they compare to beeswax in my lip balms and lotion bars.

when you say infuse...i am thinking of chamomile, nettles, lavender, etc simmered in warm oil...right??
with that said....the only wax that i would try to infuse would be jojoba oil (it's actually a wax)

i think that beeswax, carnuba, or candelilla wax would be too thick (and messy) to infuse...
i usually stick to olive, rice bran, jojoba, sunflower, etc for infusions.

hth,
:)
[/b]

:huh: sorry.. I meant to reply earlier.. :doh:

Well I sort of agree with what Kitty says about beeswax.
Please allow me to explain.
If you were to take 95% oils and mix it with 5% beeswax you will find that it will produce a thickish type of balm. A consistency to that of maple syrup - plus it's easy to wash out.

Whereas if you use 70% oils & 30% beeswax it will be rather thick and this is when some folks *may* find it difficult to wash out of there hair.

The higher the % of wax to oils, the thicker your mixture, harder it is to remove from your hair.

Candelilla wax and carnauba wax are hard plant waxes that will take some time to melt.
There are also other 100% pure waxes that aren't as hard such as Rice Wax, Olive Wax, Sweet Almond Wax, Apricot Wax etc..

I have tried to infuse waxes before and found it easier to infuse the oils first then once infused you can add the wax to it.
When using oils to infuse use oils that have a long shelf life.
The oils that Kitty mentioned are great - jojoba in particular because it's a liquid wax.

The easiest way to make an infused oil is by the use of a crock pot with a very low heat setting. Since the infused oil must be gently heated, it is essential that your crock pot does not overheat the oil. Do not use a crock pot that only has one heat setting as that crock pot most likely will overheat the oils. Add 2 ounces of your chosen carrier oil and 1/2 - 2/3 ounce of dried herbs (if you use fresh herbs, double the amount of herbs used) to your spotlessly-clean crock pot and stir well. Turn your crock pot to the lowest heat setting. Allow to heat on the lowest setting for two hours, stirring every 10-15 minutes (setting a timer to remind you to stir is important). After two hours, carefully strain the oil by using unbleached muslin (usually available at fabric stores). You should strain the oil at least twice. If any herbs remain in the infused oil, the oil can go rancid.[/b]
source: aromaweb (http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/whatinfu.asp)

Now if you are making macerated oils then I would use triglyceride vegetable oils, almond oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, papaya oil or jojoba... but that's just my personal choice.

HTH

ETA:
Candelilla wax comes from the stems of a small evergreen shrub. The cylindrical stems of the Candelilla produces a waxy coating that locks in moisture, which enables the shrub to adapt to the hot arid desert environment.

The method used to extract the wax does not involve any synthetic chemicals or heavy machinery just hot water. The wax is obtained by boiling the stems in water, this allows the wax to lift from the stems and float to the top it is then scooped out & air-dried until it becomes hard.

Candelilla wax is used primarily in the manufacture of chewing gum, rock candy, cosmetics, ointments, furniture polish, lubricants, Cold Process soap making & candle making. It was also used to make vinyl LPs, home insulation and coating for paper. Candelilla Wax is made up of about 29% Esters, 9% Free Acids, 51% Hydrocarbons with the rest made up of plant alcohols & cholesterols.

I'm working on hair & skin care goodies that will contain Candelilla wax - just in time for winter ^_^
Candellia wax is used in a lot of hair care products - do a Google and you will find loads of products.
Other waxes are being used instead of Candelilla wax because Candelilla wax is rather hard and takes time to melt.

EmpressRi
08-12-2007, 06:13 PM
thanks shulta!! :D

EmpressRi
03-04-2008, 02:17 PM
bump :)

apb1172
03-11-2008, 03:06 AM
Just my two cents here as well, candellia wax is harder than beeswax so if you are going to try to sub it out in any recs that call for beeswax, reduce the amount by about 25%. This is part of the reason why candellia is an afordable vegan alternative to beeswax.

Sugawata
03-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks ya'll!

loslomaslady
03-11-2008, 02:36 PM
I boughts some as planned to make a hair wax. That's after I read on here about waxes being a bit of a pain re. build up. The bag is now sat in my cupboard. Will use it to make lip balm when my body shop vit e one runs out but doubt that I'll continue to use it in my hair as getting on totally fine with shealoe for twisting. Takes forever to melt though?! and that's with the pellets.