PDA

View Full Version : Question About Achieveing Curls And Coils

Miss Renee
08-02-2007, 08:08 AM
First off the majority of you ladies look BEAUTIFUL with ya natural styles, I've never seen a collection of photos of shades of all hues with beautiful natural hair!

I've been natural for about 8 months now, my hair is in great condition I've been letting it grow underneath weaves and braids but now Im ready to pronounce the natural curls I've got goin on.

Could you give me some advice concerning gels and conditioners you wear that leave you with the healthy looking curls, coils, waves ect....

Just assume I know nothin about styling natural hair :lol:

EmpressRi
08-02-2007, 08:13 AM
oh lawd!!! we gonna turn you out and make you into a pj if we tell you everything we use :lol:

j/k. first off welcome sis! there's a whole bunch of stuff you can use (im not being big help here lol) but i dont want to overwhelm you by telling you about 50 million different things. swing by the commercial and homemade hair products section. try reading that and doing searches for old threads, you will find out so much, ive been on here since last year and im STILL learning about stuff.

personally, i like shealoe, flaxcream, coconut oil, vatika oil (not all at once though but yanno).

but remember, if you dont have curls or coils (like me, i kind of have to fake it till i make it) you can do bantu knots, braidouts, twistouts, wet sets, rollersets.. so many things you can do to get curls. don't believe the hype about the miss jessie's though! it will not as i quote, turn kinks to curls :lol:

LilShortRib
08-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Could you give me some advice concerning gels and conditioners you wear that leave you with the healthy looking curls, coils, waves ect....
[/b]
Well the first thing I will tell you is that using goo-gobs of product to achieve curl definition isn't necessarily something that is promoted on this site. Meaning that if you have to use fifty-eleven products to get your hair to look a certain way, you're better off accepting the texture you have instead of trying to make your hair look differently that it is naturally.

But with that said, when I pull my hair back to get waves I use Suave's Aloe Gel, water, and tie a scarf around it for a few minutes for waves.

I make my own leave in conditioner when I am doing a wash n go, if you'd like the recipe PM me.

I am a product minimalist, so perhaps I'm the wrong person to ask anyways! ^_^ Good luck!

mzpoetic
08-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Shea butter is the best thing going for me these days! I always go back to the shea! lol Not only does it moisturize, but it also makes my coils look great. Here's my new mixture that I use: raw, unrefined shea butter, glycerin, coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil and Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditioner. I occassionally use Garnier Fructis Soft Curl Creme, but you must use it in moderation and it doesn't hurt to add some oil to it. If you use too much it may start to feel dry and slightly crunchy (it's the wax in it I think). Stay away from the gel (learned the hard way). Had my hair so DRY. And even though defined, dry hair isn't cute! And Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In is bad. Stay away from that. Just bought some Allways Natural. Not looking too good either. So I'd say stick to the shea butter and oils. I haven't found anything better than those yet.

Jess Tresses
08-02-2007, 01:44 PM
I get the best coil/curl/wave definition when I co-wash with a great conditioner that really enhances my curl pattern. For me that is Paul Mitchell's Daily Instant Moisture, which I mix the Trader Joe's Nourish SPA. Then the key is just a good leave-in (for me that Aveda Elixir and Confixor) with as little manipulation as possible.

Like EmpressRI said, most of us have tried everything under the sun. I agree, Miss Jessie's products are over rated and over priced and I'm glad that I've moved on. Also when you get to applying a lot of foams, pomades, gels, and creams, you manipulate the hair more, which is going to lead to frizz, the evil cousin of definition.

I also agree with LSR that less is more, and that if you have to use 5+ products to see definition, it probably isn't worth it. Also, you may end up with an elaborate combo or products, but that may not be necessary. Initially I was using a Infusium 23, Elixir, MJ Curly Pudding, and a foaming pomade, everyday. Too much. Now I just have a leave-in and liquid gel, and I've found that's all I need, if that.

Also, if you could tell us a bit more about your hair routine that would help as well. I will say this, that natural curl definition is only going to last so long before you have to re-wet your hair to get it. After you sleep on your hair, it'll get flat and matted to on the sides. Some people say they just let the steam of a shower rejuvinate the hair, I on the other had have to co-wash if I want the look I had yesterday. Good luck to you.

BKjc41907
08-02-2007, 02:50 PM
co wash+curls whipped cream (dont touch hair let air dry)

Syb
08-02-2007, 04:22 PM
I don't personally use gels anymore on my curly hair. As, I don't like a tacky feeling to my strands. But, if you like gels and want to use them to get better curl definition and help with frizz, then using a moisturizing gel is best.

I am a lotion/creme kind-of-gal, so that is all that I use as my styling product of choice. I currrently use Cathy Howse's Lotion Creme Moisturizer which works so great in keeping my hair hydrated, without weighing it down to the point, where it start's looking "Jherri-Curlish". Also, I have a spray bottle that I have a mixture of glycerin and water, that I use on my hair simply as either a curl refresher or liquid detangler.
And, I have two treatment oil products that I love to alternate between. And, they are: Curls Champagne Curls and Caviar Kinks Restoration Treatment and Hairveda's Vatika Frosting.

Conditioner-wise I now use and love ORS Replenishing Conditioner(in a bottle). And, for my shampoo I use Neutrogena T/Sal Scalp Buildup Control Formula Shampoo. As, this works great nowat keeping my scsalp and hair better clarified, free from buildup, and it has been keeping my hair and scalp dandruff-free.

EmpressRi
08-02-2007, 06:27 PM
I also agree with LSR that less is more, and that if you have to use 5+ products to see definition, it probably isn't worth it. Also, you may end up with an elaborate combo or products, but that may not be necessary. Initially I was using a Infusium 23, Elixir, MJ Curly Pudding, and a foaming pomade, everyday. Too much. Now I just have a leave-in and liquid gel, and I've found that's all I need, if that.

[/b]

holycrap girl, all of that stuff? lol i used some conditioner and a miss jessie's product and that was it. ill admit though, wayyyy back in the day i used a ton of crap all at the same time. i could care less now!

Gingar
08-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Hey Gurl.. I got what ur saying with the use of too many products at once. You also said that you are using the Elixir from Aveda. That product is wicked. It works perfectly and i find that i can use that by itself and it does the job. But its been discontinued. I was so tight when i found this out. Lmao .. I think Nappturality Sistas need to send Aveda a letter convincing them to put it back out on the shelves ASAP. The journey is already hard and not having our products its even worse. What are you using now? And what is the name of the liguid gel your using with a leave in conditioner?

I get the best coil/curl/wave definition when I co-wash with a great conditioner that really enhances my curl pattern. For me that is Paul Mitchell's Daily Instant Moisture, which I mix the Trader Joe's Nourish SPA. Then the key is just a good leave-in (for me that Aveda Elixir and Confixor) with as little manipulation as possible.

Like EmpressRI said, most of us have tried everything under the sun. I agree, Miss Jessie's products are over rated and over priced and I'm glad that I've moved on. Also when you get to applying a lot of foams, pomades, gels, and creams, you manipulate the hair more, which is going to lead to frizz, the evil cousin of definition.

Also, if you could tell us a bit more about your hair routine that would help as well. I will say this, that natural curl definition is only going to last so long before you have to re-wet your hair to get it. After you sleep on your hair, it'll get flat and matted to on the sides. Some people say they just let the steam of a shower rejuvinate the hair, I on the other had have to co-wash if I want the look I had yesterday. Good luck to you.
[/b]

runrunrunner
08-02-2007, 09:13 PM
i've realized that i dont really need any gels or defining products.

especially now that my hair has gotten a little longer
i'm seeing that all it needs is water (sometimes i'll do a little condition first) and a bit of a shake.
my hair seems to hold pretty well, too
i might spray a little moisture stuff on it after the shower
but that does nothing for definition.

that's just what i do

best wishes
ENJOY YOUR HAIR!

three_mom
08-02-2007, 10:51 PM
I use Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel. You can find it by the suntan products at Wally World.

http://hotimg8.fotki.com/a/67_171/56_87/100_1087.jpg