PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Locing Methods

tamikanance
08-04-2007, 10:43 PM
I am wanting to start locing and have decided that i will start out with braids. I have done some research on the latching method of tightening and found the info very useful. I am having a bit of a hard time finding info about palmrolling. I just dont understand how to do it. It sounds easier than the latching method, but I am not able to find some good instructions/photos on how its done. Can anyone point me in the right direction for that? Also I am wanting my locs to continue to look newly redone at the roots, so is latching or palmrolling better for that? And I just thought of this, but is it alright to start out with braids and retwist with the palmrolling method, or is it better to use the latching method with braids? Sorry I am full of questions, I just want to make sure I am going to be doing this the correct way. I would really hate to start my loc journey and later realize that there was some better/easier way that it could have been done.

delleaux
08-05-2007, 12:22 AM
I am wanting to start locing and have decided that i will start out with braids. I have done some research on the latching method of tightening and found the info very useful. I am having a bit of a hard time finding info about palmrolling. I just dont understand how to do it. It sounds easier than the latching method, but I am not able to find some good instructions/photos on how its done. Can anyone point me in the right direction for that? Also I am wanting my locs to continue to look newly redone at the roots, so is latching or palmrolling better for that? And I just thought of this, but is it alright to start out with braids and retwist with the palmrolling method, or is it better to use the latching method with braids? Sorry I am full of questions, I just want to make sure I am going to be doing this the correct way. I would really hate to start my loc journey and later realize that there was some better/easier way that it could have been done.
[/b]
Honestly there is no easier way just what you are willing to deal with. There are several ways to start locks the most popular are twists, coils, braidlocks, and the least popular free form and back combing. Which doesn't mean one method is better than the other. I back combed mine because I wanted them to look locked already even though it took them only 4 months. Latching is probaly what you may like since having fuzzy roots will pose a problem for you. But be aware that over latching your hair will cause thinning and breakage because your roots need to thicken with less manipulation as much as possible. Palmrolling does not last long so many are discouraged when they palmroll. Now for me palmroll only helps facilitate my hair to lock. I honestly do not mind the fuzzy roots. I would check out locks for newbies there is such a wealth of information re the care, products to use and avoid and tips for those hard months when your locks want to act the fool. To many of us our journey is great with its ups and downs but one thing assured there is always someone on this thread that can help you and give you great advice. I would also check out the the albums on the loc thread. Very beautiful even with the fuzzy roots. Don't be sorry for being curious and wanting to seek knowledge about locking. I was like that too. Now, I am a locked for life sistah that has no intentions of doing otherwise. I hope I was able to shed some light. There will be some that will chime in and give great advice too. I do wish you the very best in what method you choose and never feel you are alone you have us because believe me we all been where u are. Take care and good luck :-)

sbranch822
08-05-2007, 02:57 AM
palm rolling

http://www.dreadheadhq.com/make_dreadlocks...ain_rolling.php (http://www.dreadheadhq.com/make_dreadlocks_maintain_rolling.php)

delleaux
08-06-2007, 11:57 PM
palm rolling
http://www.dreadheadhq.com/make_dreadlocks...ain_rolling.php (http://www.dreadheadhq.com/make_dreadlocks_maintain_rolling.php)
[/b]
The only problem I have with that tutorial is it gives the impression to roll in both directions when you should palmroll in one continous fluid motion.

Imperial Locs
08-07-2007, 06:37 AM
palm rolling is not in the least bit easy ( my humblest of opinions of course) when i can figure out how to do the back of my head then i'll consider it until then i'll pay or just latch it.