PDA

View Full Version : Napptural Newbie Who Just Wants To Be Me

necolemonet
08-05-2007, 04:32 AM
Okay, as you can see by my profile I'm not a regularly posting member but hopefully I'll get there. Basically this is my little "vent session" about my job and my hair. Most of you, upon reading this probably questioned what kind of job would place restrrictions on the appearance of your hair. MINE!!! I'm in the US Army and have been for four years. I went au naturale in February. During my transition I was wearing mostly micro braids and kinky twists. Then one day I said enough was enough and I did my BC. I had the weekend off and stood before the mirror proud, curious and YES i'm willing to admit even a little scared. It was amazing t o see a part of me that I'd NEVER seen before. Funny thing is as I sat in the mirror "bonding" with my hair, getting to know it's waves and texures I realized I had naturally curly locks, similar to the ones my grandmother (God rest her soul) tried to simulate when she gave me that ghastly jherri curl. Instead of my hair being jherri curly it was kinky kurly. Anywho, I whipped out my ORS Lock and Twist Gel and gave some finger twists a try. After taking only forty-five minutes of completion I realized THIS was who I am...No sitting in a hard chair for six to twelve hours getting my hair braided (depending on how many breaks the lady doing them took), no burns from the curling iron (yes a sistah is admittingly clumsy) I was DOING ME. This once ghetto princess put on her natural crown of glory and became a beautiful, self confident, NAPPTURAL QUEEN. So here's where the plot thickens. I show up to work and of course heads are turning. From the beige people I get bazillions of questions "how'd you do that?" "did you cut your hair?" "they look like little grub worms" blah blah blah. Those ignorant questions and comments stemmed from a lack of understanding and were quickly dismissed with a grin. Then came the blow that knocked all the wind out of me. A senior enlisted comes up to me and tells me that I am not AUTHORIZED to wear MY HAIR in that fashion because it is against Army Regulation 670-1. DREDLOCKS are not authorized. Just as soon as I began to panick it subsided. "Oh these aren't dredlocks." Case closed right? WRONG. He says that the style I am wearing is not authorized. So me being the mature woman and professional soldier that I am cite the regulation verbatim. "AR 670-1 states that dredlocks are not authorized, which I do not dispute in parenthesis as an aid to those who may not be educated in ethnic hair it states (matted, unkempt, individually twisted sections of hair). My hiar is not unkept NOR is it matted. Dredlocks cannot be washed out or untwisted the only way to get rid of them is by cutting them off completely. As you can see (I take my hair and untwist it and it turns into two smaller twists) my hair does not fall inito this category. This man then goes on to tell me that although this may be the case it is individually twisted and therefore out of regs. Thats when all professionalism leaves and I'm getting upset. He walks away with the comment you have two weeks to change your hair, to which I reply "dont hold your breathe". Is it or is it NOT frustrating dealing with individuals who are uneducated about ethnic hair and to add insult to injury DO NOT take the time to EDUCATE themselves. I don't know about some of these sistahs wear I live but I FOR ONE will not be molded into the cookie cutter black barbie doll that the Army so often tries to turn us into. I take my cultural dignity VERY seriously. I'm all about being the ME that God made me to be NOT The me the Army wants me to be. What's up with that people? Any military sistahs going through similar struggles?

drizzle
08-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Hello Wearing! Welcome to NP. I'm Army, too. And I've had that exact same conversation. Don't let it get to you.

GalaxyGirl2012
08-05-2007, 02:49 PM
and this is precisely one of the reasons (having to be a cookie cut out) why my black "one of these kids are doing their own thing" behind will never be in the military or corporate.

to the OP, sorry this happened to you. i know there are quite a few ladies on this site who are in the military, so perhaps they can give you some ideas on hair styles to wear

honeybunch2k5
08-05-2007, 02:51 PM
A senior enlisted comes up to me and tells me that I am not AUTHORIZED to wear MY HAIR in that fashion because it is against Army Regulation 670-1. DREDLOCKS are not authorized. Just as soon as I began to panick it subsided. "Oh these aren't dredlocks." Case closed right? WRONG. He says that the style I am wearing is not authorized. So me being the mature woman and professional soldier that I am cite the regulation verbatim. "AR 670-1 states that dredlocks are not authorized, which I do not dispute in parenthesis as an aid to those who may not be educated in ethnic hair it states (matted, unkempt, individually twisted sections of hair). My hiar is not unkept NOR is it matted. Dredlocks cannot be washed out or untwisted the only way to get rid of them is by cutting them off completely[/b]
:doh

Apparently, a lot of people, black and white, believe twists and braids are locs.

:doh

I realize you are not in the navy or air force, but maybe these will help...

natural hair and the navy, what's a girl to do??? (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=92871&hl=)

<span style="color:#FF0000">Nappy in the air force (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=82398&hl=)</span>

military nappies (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64543&hl=)

and this is precisely one of the reasons (having to be a cookie cut out) why my black "one of these kids are doing their own thing" behind will never be in the military or corporate.

to the OP, sorry this happened to you. i know there are quite a few ladies on this site who are in the military, so perhaps they can give you some ideas on hair styles to wear
[/b]
Exactly. Nowadays you can be mentally incompetent and be in the military but you can&#39;t have locs (or twists, or braids)????

:rolleyes:

I&#39;m sorry as well.
<_<

Jess Tresses
08-05-2007, 07:34 PM
So what do you plan to do? And what can they do you if you don&#39;t change your hair style?

necolemonet
08-06-2007, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the love everyone. Let me start of by saying that MY HAVE IS STILL IN FINGER TWISTS, I inherited my grandmother&#39;s rebellious genes. I also when and spoke to my first sergeant (who happens to be a brother) and he said that my hair wasn&#39;t a problem and that while most people of other racists consider it to be faddish they have to realize that it more of a cultural expression than just a hair style. He told me that if I had any further problems to make sure I let him know. I&#39;m glad it ended there because I was seriously considering filing an EO (Equal Opportunity) complaint. The irony of the whole situation is that I&#39;m acutally friends with the wife of the Senior Enlisted who started this mess in the first place (we&#39;re on the Praise Dance team at church). They&#39;re of Puerto Rican descent and their daughter who is two wears her hair similar to mine except her hair lacks the kinkiness. A mutual friend of ours had a similar struggle a few months prior to my incident but with another Senior Enlisted and my friend from the Praisie team WENT OFF when she ehard about it. I thought it was funny that her husband was now riding my case. I chose not to mention it to her because I keep work and my personal life seperate. Anyways, I&#39;m moving in a few months to Maryland and I&#39;m praying that I don&#39;t have the same issues with my hair at this new job that I&#39;ve had here in Germany.

EmpressRi
08-06-2007, 09:05 AM
IGNORANT. i swear, people in higher positions always try to bend the rules to what they see fit or unfit, but im so glad you stood your ground sis. and im glad it worked out.

drizzle
08-06-2007, 01:54 PM
You&#39;re coming to Maryland? Maybe we can meet. That&#39;d be fun. I don&#39;t enjoy everything about this area, but issues about my hair and uniform have been non-existant since I transfered here.

necolemonet
08-08-2007, 04:14 AM
You&#39;re coming to Maryland? Maybe we can meet. That&#39;d be fun. I don&#39;t enjoy everything about this area, but issues about my hair and uniform have been non-existant since I transfered here.
[/b]

Definitely. Hopefully, I&#39;ll be there soon. Still waiting on orders...you know how that is. If you have a myspace account add me, http://www.myspace.com/necolemonet.