PDA

View Full Version : Glamour Magazine: No Afro's & Dreads In The Workplace

Cranberry
08-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Here's an article on what a Glamour editor thinks of natural black hair in the workplace:

Jezebel (http://jezebel.com/gossip/your-roots-are-showing/glamour-editor-to-lady-lawyers-being-black-is-kinda-a-corporate-dont-289268.php)

Here's a quote from the article:

[A] recent slide show by an unidentified Glamour editor on the "Dos and Don'ts of Corporate Fashion" at a New York law firm shed some light on the topic, according to this month's American Lawyer magazine.
"First slide up: an African American woman sporting an Afro. A real no-no, announced the 'Glamour' editor to the 40 or so lawyers in the room. As for dreadlocks: How truly dreadful! The style maven said it was 'shocking' that some people still think it 'appropriate' to wear those hairstyles at the office. 'No offense,' she sniffed, but those 'political' hairstyles really have to go."

The story ends happily, with the law firm Cleary Gottlieb's managing partner Mark Walker, who wasn't at the lady luncheon, sending everyone an email pointing out the stupidty of the Glamour editor and of fashion magazines and yeah pretty much all the things we here at Jezebel hold so near and reviled.
[/b]

I can't believe we still have to deal with this. And apparently there were black women in the audience with natural hair.

KB
08-14-2007, 01:14 PM
screw fashion magazines! :Angry:

and i hate that photo of queen latifah on the cover. that wig looks tacky on her

Alastri
08-14-2007, 01:29 PM
I can't politely comment on that article.

pisces33
08-26-2007, 06:20 AM
*whew*....glad my self-esteem & livelyhood dosen't depend on them ;)

LuvJones
08-26-2007, 07:01 PM
This is the funniest thing I have read all month

i love how "political" seems to be code for "anything that might tip someone off as to your status of 'black,' other than, you know, your skin."

in that spirit, i think we can all agree that claire danes needs to tone down the h@nky--it's already given the queen a nasty case of suburb hair.

whitney
08-29-2007, 07:45 AM
queen latifah is also heavily computer modified in this pic. she looks quite thin i almost didn't recognize her.

Poetic_Butterfly
08-29-2007, 09:08 AM
I am so tired of European standards of beauty! :Angry: We have to work harder to create more of our own magazines!!

Peace,
Rasta

QueenMoe
08-31-2007, 09:23 PM
no words...just wow

tweetnaps
12-12-2010, 11:13 PM
bs for real.....im working at a DA's office with no problems

CinnamonBiscuit
12-12-2010, 11:24 PM
I got ready to reply to the topic until I saw it was from 2007.:-))

mera223
12-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Here is Glamour's response to the incident:

Dear Glamour readers,

Many of you have written over the last few weeks to ask about an Internet account of a Glamour staffer’s comments during a presentation at a law firm. I want to let you know what happened—and how the magazine responded.

Early in the summer, without the knowledge or permission of any of her supervisors at the magazine, a Glamour staffer accepted an invitation to give a lunchtime talk at the New York City law firm Cleary Gottlieb on the topic of what’s appropriate to wear to work. During the course of her talk, she commented to the audience that Afros were “a Glamour Don’t.” Women in the group, several of them African American, immediately objected to her words, offended at the idea that their natural hair was being termed inappropriate.

I, and the rest of Glamour management, first found out about this incident two months later, when reports of the presentation were published in The American Lawyer magazine—and I was appalled at the remark. Glamour is a magazine with 12 million readers who count on seeing themselves—women of all races, all types, all lifestyles—represented and supported in our pages. The idea that a woman cannot be herself and still get ahead at work runs contrary to Glamour’s message of empowerment (and, incidentally, to the reality of today’s workplace), and I am still outraged that women heard such nonsense.

To be clear: Glamour did not, does not, and would never endorse the comments made; we are a magazine that believes in the beauty of all women. This incident was treated very seriously by Glamour management, and the staffer has since resigned. We’ve extended a full apology to the law firm she addressed, and I extend the same apology to all of you.

Many of you who heard accounts of the presentation wrote us to ask, essentially: What’s up with this, Glamour? (Our own staffers, startled by the episode, had the same questions.) I’ve read every one of your letters. Just to give you a sampling: “First off,” wrote one woman, “our natural hairstyles, as the word implies, are NATURAL! We were born with them! We did not come out of our mother’s womb with a perm!” Many felt saddened by the remarks: “I have always looked to your magazine for diversity and thought-provoking articles, but the thought of one of your editors being culturally idiotic makes me shake my head. As much as I love you as a magazine…I’m a bit surprised.” And one woman, referring to the straightening process for some African American women’s hair, wrote, “The person who gave this presentation should be sat down in a beauty shop and forced to have her hair pressed and curled with lots of [hair oil], every week for a month. I bet she would not write anything so ill-thought out again.” (For more on the topic, here’s a segment that aired on NPR sparked by the episode; click the “listen” button to get the audio.)

As much as I regret this incident, I’m proud to edit a magazine with such outspoken and impassioned readers. Glamour is planning a roundtable in an upcoming issue for women to share their views on the topics—about women, beauty and race—raised by this episode. I hope you’ll read it, and participate in the discussion.

Cindi Leive

Read More http://www.glamour.com/beauty/2007/10/leive-letter#ixzz17wZkdU1d

GalaxyGirl2012
12-13-2010, 12:13 AM
sounds like that staffer got thrown under the glamour bus :-))

i mean for real, they didn't know she was going to the event?? 8) im surprised they didnt try the old "someone snuck in a stole a press pass and pretended to be one of our staffers" trick.

Mojito Chica
12-13-2010, 12:24 AM
This debacle is what first got me thinking about returning to naturalness.

Sinamin2
01-23-2011, 03:39 PM
*whew*....glad my self-esteem & livelyhood dosen't depend on them ;)

I strongly agree with you pisces33.. WHEW!:-))

Chocolate CurlyGirl
01-27-2011, 03:25 PM
I would really like to know how natural hair is political? Is the color of my skin political? Same difference, I was born with both. Coonery at it's best, or worst shall I say.

Himmy
01-27-2011, 03:49 PM
I would really like to know how natural hair is political? Is the color of my skin political? Same difference, I was born with both. Coonery at it's best, or worst shall I say.

Exactly! I mean really...? Natural hair political? :-|:(o) So when white foke wear their hair the way it grows out their head are they too making a political statement?

Napia Mia
01-27-2011, 04:53 PM
^^^Yeah for those who still straighten their hair to conform, appearance doesn't get more political(ly correct) than this... Black folks who straighten hair to fit in, to look professional and polished IS a political statement.

I think they have it all backwards myself.

siennamoonshine
03-10-2011, 10:32 AM
At least she voiced her disapproval. I think some people just think these things and dismiss the nappy professionals as unqualified or "too ethnic". We should know what we are facing in the work industries and go in with fierce hair that make these people look as foolish as their statements make them sound.

au napptural
03-10-2011, 03:31 PM
But natural hair is political. Wearing it is like saying "I am satisfied with my blackness". Don't y'all know that makes you automatic members of the Black Panther Party! Only bad Negroes don't want straight hair :-|;)

beauti-of-mee
03-13-2011, 08:29 PM
natural hair/afros just makes people agree to disagree

Napia Mia
03-14-2011, 03:22 PM
^^^Ditto. I've found white folks to be indifferent, UNLESS, I'm wearing a puff and then I'll get curiosity stares.

I do remember doing some temp work about five years ago. I was at an insurance company and I just remember seeing this black woman in the cafeteria all the time who kept staring at me. Have no clue what her thoughts were but she was starting to unnerve me just a bit. But everytime I saw her I'd just smile and keep it moving cause if she was really having a problem with MY hair then it was HER problem and mos def not mine.

JayEnn
03-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Love of natural hair shows a true love of self. This is deemed as a threat to some and what the lady at Glamour illustrated is a clear example of the tools used to keep our perception of ourselves low.

The truth is our hair is facinating to everyone. we are the only race of people to have hair like this. That alone makes us special. But to know you are special gives you a sense of inner pride and srength and this is something that the powers that be do not wish to encourgae and hence they associate afros with "black politics".

Similarly I was walking with my partner hand in hand one evening and a drunk white guy shouted out to us "Black Power" as he held his fist up high.

How can a black couple holding hands signify Black Power??? or did he just think that seeing a black couple together was powerful??

I digress but the point is that they know that we in our natural state is beautiful but they will do all they can to make you not believe that.

Rock the 'fro in the boardroom, shop floor, factory, hospital or classroom with pride.

spaceoddity
03-18-2011, 06:28 AM
what is political about having an afro? thats just how our hair grows lol

people had afros before the 60s!