PDA

View Full Version : The History I Learned Since Finding My Fathers Family

frazertif
08-20-2007, 03:01 PM
For many yrs I always wanted to know the other side of me, I had discredited my fathers side for many years thinking that they will no longer have anything to do with who I am or what I am made up of, something that my mom did not want me to know about my other half... heritage wise, there would be times that I asked her what is my father? and she would just say that it does not matter.

Since I found them my aunt said to me that there was something she had to tell me about my dad and my grand parents. She she related that they were full blood indian, in fact the whole family is, I heard from my mom that they were some kind of indian but she only admitted it to me after I found them. Then my aunt goes on to relate about the german ancestry but mostly the indian rules out.

I saw this picture of my great great great grand parents and I never thought I would be this close to them or that I would actually see them so my aunt told me that their picture can be found in the south carolina state building, and how most of the catawbas were killed including my great grandfather and how my grandfather witnessed his shooting all because they wanted to keep their Identity.

It is a sad outcome of things that happened

Now that I have found the other half of me its about time to search for my mothers half and when I do I will share that with you too.

and I will be adding new names to the last name list.

Ameka
08-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Congrats!!!!!!! Keep us updated!!

Now you can really say you got "indian in yo faaaaaamily" LOLLOL

frazertif
08-24-2007, 02:28 AM
Congrats!!!!!!! Keep us updated!!

Now you can really say you got "indian in yo faaaaaamily" LOLLOL
[/b]

LOL maybe now I qualify for a free scholarship and a check

mydestiny
08-30-2007, 12:06 PM
^^ha for real.

Congrats on finding some of the answers to your heritage.

Poetic_Butterfly
08-31-2007, 12:25 PM
Congrats! That's so cool to find your roots and culture! :)

Peace,
Rasta

MariposaMorena08
09-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Lucious Curls, congratulation on finding your father's family! If you wanted to learn more about the Catawba, I can introduce you to a friend of mine who is Catawba...she is a very sweet lady who does traditional-style Indian dance, creates pottery the way all Catawba have for thousands of years (the Catawba people are reknown for their pottery), and she even speaks the language. She would be a great person to teach you all that you need to know about anything Catawba! Let me know if you are interested...

frazertif
01-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Lucious Curls, congratulation on finding your father's family! If you wanted to learn more about the Catawba, I can introduce you to a friend of mine who is Catawba...she is a very sweet lady who does traditional-style Indian dance, creates pottery the way all Catawba have for thousands of years (the Catawba people are reknown for their pottery), and she even speaks the language. She would be a great person to teach you all that you need to know about anything Catawba! Let me know if you are interested...
[/b]

omg that would be sooo cool of course I'm interested.

lil twa
01-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Keep us posted this all sounds so intresting!!!
http://www.public.fotki.com/SunshineM/

MariposaMorena08
04-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Hehe- I got busy and forgot to check on this thread. Sorry! Lucious Curls, you can join my cousin's yahoo group for Indians and people of Indian descent. The name of the yahoo group is: Native Sister Group. My Catawba friend, Beckee, is on there. She is great and would be full of information on the Catawba. ACTUALLY, she is going to be teaching the language this summer. You are lucky to be part of a people that still have a language and stories.

In order to qualify as Indian for scholarships, you have to prove a relationship to that culture by going to powwows, learning the language etc. If you were interested in going to powwows, you could go to powwows.com in order to find out about the ones closest to you. I'm not sure where you are but the Carolinas have some GREAT powwows. In the NE, there is Schemitzun which is one of THE powwows in the nation from what I have heard. I would love to go to that one but it is a little far for me...for right now that is.

jeannaboo
06-25-2008, 05:23 PM
congrats on finding ur fam! how exciting! how's the rest of your search coming along?