PDA

View Full Version : Unraveling...

vonshair
03-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Ok ive trying to find some info on this, but since the search is down i cant find it.

my back braids are unraveling, if any water get on them they come apart, when i wake up in the morning and take my scarf off, they are apart. the hairs back there are fine and shorter length. Should i just continue to braid it up as it comes apart? Will it ever loc if i have to keep rebraiding it? The rest is doing fine, its just the back im alittle worried about, even though its only been 3 days lol :doh

any advice is welcomed!!!
Thanks again Von :)

Sunchild
03-08-2004, 06:41 PM
If its just the ends, you can put a black rubberband at the ends.

Lil Eve
03-08-2004, 07:34 PM
ITA with AK.
I wore rubber bands for 6wks on un-ravely braids near my hair line on my nape.

vonshair
03-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Ok how long will i have to wear the rubber bands? How will i know when its time to take them out?

Thanks

Beryl
03-08-2004, 10:57 PM
I braided the last inch or so of my ends because of unraveling. It stayed put when I was very gentle with washing and rinsing. It eventually locked higher up in the loc and the braided part became curly qs. That took about 1 year. Hang in there.

Leslie
03-09-2004, 02:12 AM
I have the same problem in the back of my head. I have had locs for two and a half years, and I still have a couple that will start to come loose if I don't watch them.

I latchhook my hair and it helps to keep the straighter hair back there together. I was doing the same thing, braiding and rebraiding, hoping that it would take some day. I find that the best thing to do is not let it go too long without tightening the new growth. The longer I let that part of my hair go, the looser the loc got. Now I check my locs back there at least once a week, to see if they are slipping. If they are, I tighten them back up. Eventually they will loc, but you will have to baby them until they do.

dewdrop
03-09-2004, 06:56 AM
delete

dewdrop
03-09-2004, 06:57 AM
just tie knots at the end

Joyfulocs
03-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Ditto to the little black rubberbands. You can also use them to train unruly locs. I have ONE loc up front that insists on standing at attention, so I'm going to let it get acquainted with a neighbor (with the help of a rubberband) who knows how to behave. :)

nottyfreedom
03-09-2004, 01:26 PM
ya'll im like 3-4 months into my journey and im gettin' discouraged. im not sure if its just due to everything going on in my life-i keep it covered for protective reasons-to let it be...i dont wanna do anything drastic. but ya'll-its so limp. (maybe thats not the right word). i dont know what to do? i just needed to vent. am i on the right path? will they come around?

*sighs*

notty

vonshair
03-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Well i put my rubber bands on the ends of some of my braids, i dont like the look but i guess i have to deal with it till i can take them out. :smug any ideas on how long they have to stay in, and when will i know when to take them out?

thanks

thenewme
03-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by vonshair@Mar 9 2004, 02:38 PM
Well i put my rubber bands on the ends of some of my braids, i dont like the look but i guess i have to deal with it till i can take them out. :smug any ideas on how long they have to stay in, and when will i know when to take them out?

thanks
http://members.lycos.co.uk/dreadconnection...n/newpage6.html (http://members.lycos.co.uk/dreadconnection/newpage6.html)

:-P This link is to a member who started with braids and had to use rubber bands on the end.

Hope this helps.

Aswadah
03-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Hi Vonshair,
I am having the very same dilemma. I have just decided not to wash my hair too much. They have already unraveled greatly all over my head, but I'm noticing that the curly-Q's are starting to tangle. GOOD THING!! They are becoming firmer and I think they will eventually loc. I don't mess with them, don't style my hair yet, and I don't wrap my hair at night. All of these things straighten my hair and the ends drastically. I just spritz, shake, and go. I sleep with a satin pillow case so that my hair can be free to tangle and get fuzzy at night. So far all of this is working in my favor. I use no oils now, but essential oils. I have tried to re-braid some of my locs at the ends, but I've noticed that it only hinders the process and will make them take longer to loc. So now I just leave them alone. It's been almost a month and a half and I've shampooed 2x since my start date. I don't plan on shampooing again until my ends tangle and settle a little more. My hair isn't itchy or dry since I spritz at least twice a day and it appears to be pretty clean. That's my routine to avoid any further unraveling. I hope this helps. I thought about the rubber bands, but I don't like the look too much on me. Take care. PEACE.

Beryl
03-10-2004, 12:10 AM
@notty
Hang in there. 3-4 months is a very short time.

thenewme
03-10-2004, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by nottyfreedom@Mar 9 2004, 08:26 AM
ya'll im like 3-4 months into my journey and im gettin' discouraged. im not sure if its just due to everything going on in my life-i keep it covered for protective reasons-to let it be...i dont wanna do anything drastic. but ya'll-its so limp. (maybe thats not the right word). i dont know what to do? i just needed to vent. am i on the right path? will they come around?

*sighs*

notty
ditto Beryl,

Notty, hang in there. Ya need to vent, that is what this site is here for because there is probably someone else truly feeling ya. We are only given what we can handle. Take care :rainfro