PDA

View Full Version : ANY SUSHI LOVERS?!

Twistie74
03-21-2003, 08:38 PM
For the past week and a half or so, I've been addicted to these crab-filled sushi rolls available at my favorite lunchtime hangout.

Now I get at least two each time I'm there - they taste so good and are so FRESH!

Do you eat sushi? Do you have a favorite kind? Have you ever made your own?

dayna
03-21-2003, 08:47 PM
Girl, I can tear up some eel!

Nubiyan
03-21-2003, 08:50 PM
I like california rolls :)

GalaxyGirl2010
03-21-2003, 08:53 PM
i looooooooooooove sushi!!!!

i tend to go for the exotic rolls, but i like the boston rolls (i think that's what they are called with crab on inside roe on the outside)

my favorite is eel. also a restaurant near where i live has something called a dynamite roll it's sooo good. there's a spicy mayo that's on top and it's DYNO-MIIIIIII_YITE!!!! :shock:

i like the shrimp topped ones as well...mmmm....one of the funniest i had was baby octopus roll where inside was a teeny weeny lil bitty octpus... 8 legs and all.. the people i went with felt bad about eating them. i did too, for little bit :lol: :twisted: it made me feel like i was godzilla and able to eat a whole octopus lol

i want to try to make my on, veggie ones because im not sure about the fish at home.. id end up needing my stomach pumped.

also theres a restaurant in chicago named orange that makes something called fruishi.. it's sushi with fruit instead of seafood. ive tried that but i need to experiemnt more..

if you're interested i made rice with coconut milk to make it sweet and chopped up strawberries and kiwis and stuck them inside. i dont have a sushi roller and i still havent thought of something green that can be like the seaweed in regular sushi...

tjolims
03-21-2003, 09:07 PM
i like the shrimp topped ones as well...mmmm....one of the funniest i had was baby octopus roll where inside was a teeny weeny lil bitty octpus... 8 legs and all.. the people i went with felt bad about eating them. i did too, for little bit :lol: :twisted: it made me feel like i was godzilla and able to eat a whole octopus lol

:lol: LOL, that's great.

curlygirl
03-21-2003, 09:09 PM
Love california rolls. Tuna rolls and poke are part of the reason I no longer eat a vegan diet....

spacetygrss
03-21-2003, 09:16 PM

Ya know!!! I also love Yellow tail sashimi. I'm not much for the rolls and stuff, but I'll take sashimi ANY day!

aquababie19
03-21-2003, 09:34 PM
i love sushi...me and the girls from my yoga studio go and get some. they're the only ones who will eat it with me. i mostly do rolls...california roll, cucumber roll...any shrimp roll. asparagus rolls are yummy too. i haven't tried the eel, although 've eaten the shrimp, and tuna. i live down south and they have this thing at one of the restaurants with shredded sweet potato and shrimp. it is good. guess they have to cater to mississippi tastes. :D

Wendy
03-21-2003, 09:35 PM
EEEWWW!!!!!!! Sorry I can't even eat cooked fish. I get an allergic reaction to fish that I'm sure you guys don't want the details about.

Papillion
03-21-2003, 10:20 PM
I am a sushi FIEND!!!

My favorites:

Unagi
Maguro
Sake
Hamachi
Toro
Ebi

Rolls:
Spicy Tuna roll
Spicy Hamachi
Dragon Roll
Godzilla roll

But I won't touch:

Sea Urchin
Big Roe
Octopus

Anything that smells fishy---that's not fresh fish.

chocol8diva714
03-21-2003, 10:52 PM
See now I knew you were cool, first you don't like DOOK and then you love SUSHI....that's alright!! Your list is looking a little identical to mine Papillion.....I may just have to go to the floating sushi bar tonight!! Mmmm, but my college pocketbook is a little hurt........sheesh!!

KayC
03-21-2003, 11:55 PM
Yep, I like sushi as well. At first I was like, "oh no, never!" But I tried a few and have a couple of favorites that I have to have every now and then. Mainly Crunch rolls and Spicy Dynamite Rolls.

blakgirl
03-22-2003, 02:05 AM
only the cooked sushi, shrimp rolls, cali rolls, eel or is it squid?

blak.

law
03-22-2003, 02:09 AM
I love sushi! Shoot I just walked in from my local sushi restaurant. My two faves are dragon roll and a volcano special.

Azure
03-22-2003, 03:23 AM
At first I was like, ehhh....but I grew to love it. The food court here has a sushi bar and I go get me some sushi (and flirt with the charming Japanese guy there, tee hee!). My favorite is the shrimp roll. I need to experiment more.

z3000zee
03-22-2003, 04:56 AM
i love sushi as well. here is a link to my favorite sushi place in chicago http://www.kamehachi.com/

i also buy sushi from whole foods. it is ok, but it is the only place that i know that sells sushi with brown rice.

Does anybody know if japanese restaurants will give you the alternative between white and brown rice?

blumoonbabe
03-22-2003, 06:56 AM
yeeah buddy!

I'm partial to the eel.

I also love seaweed salad... yum!

krazeenapps
03-22-2003, 09:17 AM
I like sushi!!!! But I guess I need to experiment more with the different types, because the only ones I eat are spicy tuna, California, and cucumber rolls. There's a sushi place near my house, and a couple near my school. I will be hitting all of these up in the near future to compare.

CrazeeDCoil
03-22-2003, 12:34 PM
Sushi is wonderful! I didn't think I'd like it and I was right. I LOVE it!!! Nearly made myself go broke running out for it. Does anyone make it themselves? I don't trust the fish around here or my knowledge of fish to make it at home though. :pumpheart: :pumpheart: :B-fly:

I'll eat almost all of it. except Uni (sea urchin) that just looks wrong. And I don't like Tuna :? Just does nothing for me. But give me some Yellow Tail, Red Snapper, Fluke any day!

My dh and I went to our Sushi restaurant so much they know us by name, what drinks we will order and they often make up free appetizers of food that is not on the menu for us so we can try something new and more authentic. The strangest thing I ate was Jellyfish. Not bad. Strange texture though. But I would probably eat it again! :D

SassyDiva
03-22-2003, 03:59 PM
I love Sushi, im hooked on it.

LBellatrix
03-22-2003, 09:08 PM
Damn. Damn damn damn damn DAMN.

WHY did I have to open up this thread?

I was gonna go try out this Chinese takeout place my cousin and her husband recommended that makes fried rice with jumbo shrimp. I ain't had jumbo shrimp fried rice in AGES.

But NO...NOW you sushi-loving women got me thinking about going in the OPPOSITE direction and paying 3-4 times as much money for some eel, yellowtail, salmon, and spicy tuna rolls! DAMN!

:smilecolros:

Z3000, Kamehachi is great BUT...here are a couple of others in the Chicago area that are also good.

Bistro Pacific, 600 N Lake Shore Drive (a little chi-chi but the sushi's good)
Kikuya, 55th Street just east of the Metra tracks (the only sushi restaurant in Hyde Park!)
Tokyo Marina, Clark Street south of Foster (this may have changed, but their prices were better than a lot of the Lakeview/Lincoln Park places)
Matsuya, Clark Street south of Addison (everytime I've been here the place would be at least half filled with Japanese...always a good sign)
Sushi Wabi, Randolph west of Halsted (haven't been here but have only heard good things)

I'm missing some...there's at least one place up in Wicker Park that's supposed to be pretty good; I think it's called Mirai Sushi.

When I moved out to the south 'burbs I pretty much said goodbye to good sushi...BUT happily there's a Japanese restaurant about 10 minutes away. And it looks like I'll be doing carryout from there tonight. (DAMN!) :lol:

GalaxyGirl2010
03-22-2003, 10:45 PM
[quote] yeeah buddy!

I'm partial to the eel.

I also love seaweed salad... yum!

girl don't even get me started on the seaweed salad cuz i love that stuff!! :lol:

Amarige
03-23-2003, 02:30 AM
Philadelphia Roll with salmon, once a week! I just discovered that I love sushi about 6 months ago. Ohhhh the wasted years :wink:

rozlips
03-23-2003, 05:32 AM
Oh Man, I adore sushi! Crunchy shrimp rolls and tuna rolls. I could and have eaten sushi every day for a solid week. When I was pregnant I craved it so bad, I'd literally cry. Preggos of course, can't eat raw fish. Trying to conceive now and I make sure I have it at least once a week because I know I'll have to be without it.

z3000zee
03-23-2003, 04:22 PM
Z3000, Kamehachi is great BUT...here are a couple of others in the Chicago area that are also good.

thanks, lbell

GalaxyGirl2010
03-23-2003, 05:02 PM
Philadelphia Roll with salmon, once a week! I just discovered that I love sushi about 6 months ago. Ohhhh the wasted years :wink:

then you have some catching up to do..

also what do you guys feel about the sushi bars that are popping up in grocery stores now? we have a few here in cincinnati where they have sushi chefs come and package them up. it's cheaper for the most part because as many of you know, you can easily rack up a 60-70$ at a good sushi restaurant, especially for someone like me who eats for 3 people :lol:

CrazeeDCoil
03-23-2003, 05:06 PM
I will only eat grocery store sushi if it is made by a reputable restaurant. Otherwise.... :? it could be scary. I love rainbow roles and spice yellow tail...yum! Might get some for dinner tonite! :)

cocoarose
03-26-2003, 05:11 AM
All I've got to say is I've now got to try some sushi. I've always wanted to but never did. I definitly will. For a beginner sushi eater what would you ladies recommend? Something say easy on the palate? 8) :lol:

CrazeeDCoil
03-26-2003, 02:27 PM
BEGINNER'S SUSHI RECOMENDATIONS:

california roll (cucumber, avocado, crab)
kappa roll (either pickle or cucumber)
Salmon roll or salmon skin roll (salmon skin is cooked)
Kani stick (crab stick)
Tuna roll (tekka roll, everyone seems to like it, i hate it though)
Spider roll (softshell crab roll, cooked. good if you don't mind seeing legs)
Tamago (egg custard, cooked)
Ikura (I think that is red snapper roe, caviar :) large eggs)
Tobiko (also roe, comes in orange and green; green is wasabi flavored. small eggs)
Eel is good too (cooked)
a Philadelphia roll might be up your alley (smoked slamon, cream cheese, rice)
Negihamachi roll (yellowtail, and scallion)

Mix your wasabi into your soy sauce for dipping. wasabi is pretty hot, so start out with a little, then add as you adjust.

Hope this helps! :D 8)

nckyola
03-26-2003, 11:34 PM
My son and I are addicted to this stuff. In fact, when asked what his favorite food is, he'll likely say sushi (imagine that)! It can get expensive though (we have spent upwards of $50 for the 2 of us and he's only 8 - and that's not including tip).

I got some sushi making materials for the holidays and have been experimenting with making it at home. It takes some trial and error but is really fun for both of us (not to mention the relief on my budget). We also have experimented with different combinations of ingredients - fun and delicious, plus quality time with the "kid". Can't beat it!

LBellatrix
03-27-2003, 12:28 AM
also what do you guys feel about the sushi bars that are popping up in grocery stores now? we have a few here in cincinnati where they have sushi chefs come and package them up. it's cheaper for the most part because as many of you know, you can easily rack up a 60-70$ at a good sushi restaurant, especially for someone like me who eats for 3 people :lol:

It depends on the grocery store. Some of them make pretty good sushi and some of them make you wish you hadn't bothered. For example, as much as I love Whole Foods, I don't like their sushi.

But, truth be told, they haven't yet made grocery store sushi that stands up to the fresh-made restaurant stuff. I view grocery store sushi as a quick fix.

GalaxyGirl, I ain't never paid $70 for sushi for MYSELF ALONE. The most I've ever paid at a sushi restaurant for MYSELF ALONE was maybe $30.

Do any of y'all like hot sake with your sushi? I always said that if I had Michael Jackson money I'd have a sushi chef come in a couple of times a week and I'd have a sake heater in my kitchen. :)

ps: I got the jumbo shrimp fried rice...delicious, greasy as hell though, but it lasted for a few days... :)

rozlips
03-27-2003, 02:36 AM
GalaxyGirl, that must be a regional thing. The dh and I have never spent more that $30-50 and both of us can seriously hide some groceries.

Jessy55
03-27-2003, 02:57 AM
Don't get me started with sushi!

Many years ago, I could not control my addiction to sushi and I HAD to have it 3 times a week.

I was so hooked, I even gave serious thought to dating this Japanese sushi Chef who was interested in me, just so that I could come to his restaurant and get free sushi. Yeah, I was going to sell my body for sushi. :lol:

Anyway, I got back to my senses and instead decided to take a couple of sushi classes.

People, if you love sushi that much, take classes. A good sushi class will teach you where to buy the freshest fish in your area, how to prepare it etc... It's worth it.

Cococure
03-27-2003, 04:40 AM
I absolutley LOVE rice sushi.

I have yet to try the kind with fish in it.

I wouldn't have tried it at all but my best friend took me out to her favorite sushi bar for lunch one day and I was hooked. It's easier and cheaper to treat myself to some rice sushi from the grocery store then to shell out big bucks for regular sushi.

I must say though it is quite tasty.

Not to mention the fact that my skills with chopsticks now are unbelieveable. I could eat just about anything with them.

atoiK
03-27-2003, 04:50 PM
WoW! This is why I love this forum I learn something new everytime I come here! I've wanted to try sushi for the longest and there are a few Japanese restaurants in my area. But everytime I suggest going or bring it up I get looks like :shock: :shock: :shock:, girl!! ain't nobody eating no sushi!!! And I end up defeated and head to McNasty's. So it's great to read the views on topics like this from black women who like to expermint and don't have such narrow views on things. So with that being said I'm am definitly going to hit up some sushi bars and see what I've been missing.

CurlsWannaHaveFun
03-28-2003, 10:06 PM
Sushi addict here!

When I lived in SF I ate it at least 1-2 times a week. The chefs knew me by name! I'll eat it all, sashimi, rolls, anything. I crave it regularly but am trying to be more fiscally well behaved and so try to hold it down to 1-2 times a month. But this new sushi bar that opened in StL is making it really hard to stick to it.

My favorites
Tobiko (flying fish roe)
Unagi (barbecue eel)
Yellow tail sashimi
Hotate (scallops)
Futomaki
Hamachi
Spicy salmon hand rolls

I better stop---I'm getting hungry. :D

CrazeeDCoil
03-28-2003, 10:23 PM
I couldn't take it any longer! The sushi addict in me left work two hours early today and went and had my own little afternoon sushi delight! It was wonderful!!! King Crab, california roll, yellowtail, salmon, tuna, and fluke w/a lil' bit of Tobiko and that wonderful spicy mayo! Yum! oh and miso soup... the pressure of this thread all week long was just too great... I think I'm going to be on a sushi binge for a while now! 8) :lol: :D

chocol8diva714
03-28-2003, 11:46 PM
When Ican't get to a sushi bar and I am craving an eel roll or mackarel, I go to Harris-Teeter (grocery store)...their sushi is pretty good....just not the authentic freshly slapped in front of you...but hey, it satisfies the craving!!

Smooches and blessings :P

LBellatrix
03-29-2003, 12:13 PM
Had sushi last night:

- Spicy tuna maki
- Philadelphia maki (salmon and cream cheese)
- California maki (I rarely order this but I felt like having some)
- Four pieces of unagi

Ahhhh....great way to start a weekend...

jmnappy
03-31-2003, 09:12 PM
Sushi lover right here!

And I can't afford to eat it as much I'd like to.

Philly & California rolls are my favorite.

New Freedom
04-18-2003, 02:41 AM
Sorry to bump this post up again but...
Three things:
1. I LOVE sushi! :D I was introduced to it a couple of years ago and the experience has been wonderful.

2. My favorites are the rolls. In particular, the tempura roll which is a California roll dipped in tempura batter and then deep fried. (Heaven!) And also the Hijiki roll (probably spelled that wrong).

3. I will apologize because I have not read every single post on this subject, but I was wondering if anyone was from ATL and if so, do you know any good sushi bars over here?

winnie
04-18-2003, 07:38 PM

Ya know!!! I also love Yellow tail sashimi. I'm not much for the rolls and stuff, but I'll take sashimi ANY day!

Me Too! I like the rolls, but I prefer the sashimi.

AFashionSlave
04-21-2003, 07:53 PM
My favorite are Tekka (salmon) rolls.

natural_butterfly4
04-28-2003, 01:21 AM
I often have a craving for California rolls? I got it bad. I might order tonight lol!

curlygirl
04-28-2003, 03:24 PM
We had sushi last night - now that the weather is getting warmer, I am craving it more. My favorite sushi is Maruko, I will also eat shrimp roll, California roll, I love tuna roll w/avocado (yum, yum). I also like getting sushi at Whole Foods because you can get it w/brown rice instead. My fiancee is Asian, he thinks that's blasphemous! :lol:

afronappy
04-29-2003, 06:30 PM
For the past week and a half or so, I've been addicted to these crab-filled sushi rolls available at my favorite lunchtime hangout.

Now I get at least two each time I'm there - they taste so good and are so FRESH!

Do you eat sushi? Do you have a favorite kind? Have you ever made your own?

i totally agree with this here statement you made . to a tee.

they are expensive cuz i mean they're jus like 4 rolls and they cost $5 at the grocery store deli.