PDA

View Full Version : I Want My Naps Back!

luvmynaps
09-03-2007, 01:12 PM
When my husband proposed, I knew I wanted to wear my hair in a straight updo for the wedding, but for some odd reason I thought I needed to train my naps to be straight so that they wouldn't roll up in GA heat of July. So, from December to July I got my hair straightened every week or every other week. It looked beautiful for the wedding, but my hair took to the training a little too well. It's been 1 1/2 months and I got kinks in the first 2 inches, soft curls in the next 2 inches, and pure straightness at the next 4-5 inches.

I really, really don't want to cut my hair. I love the length of it right now, and I don't look good with short hair. When I first went natural I got a fade and it took forever to grow out and for me to like it. I'm willing to cut 2 inches, but I know that's not enough.

Is there anyway for me to get my fro back without making a big chop? Will my hair eventually revert back to it's natural state or will I have to cut it.

NapturalCollegeQueen
09-03-2007, 01:20 PM
:( I'm sorry to hear that. It really sucks. Unfortunately, you already know the drill: If your hair doesn't revert back after sometime, it might be time for a BC. Heat just isn't a good thing for our naps.

mthud
09-03-2007, 01:26 PM
When my husband proposed, I knew I wanted to wear my hair in a straight updo for the wedding, but for some odd reason I thought I needed to train my naps to be straight so that they wouldn't roll up in GA heat of July. So, from December to July I got my hair straightened every week or every other week. It looked beautiful for the wedding, but my hair took to the training a little too well. It's been 1 1/2 months and I got kinks in the first 2 inches, soft curls in the next 2 inches, and pure straightness at the next 4-5 inches.

I really, really don't want to cut my hair. I love the length of it right now, and I don't look good with short hair. When I first went natural I got a fade and it took forever to grow out and for me to like it. I'm willing to cut 2 inches, but I know that's not enough.

Is there anyway for me to get my fro back without making a big chop? Will my hair eventually revert back to it's natural state or will I have to cut it.
[/b]
Looks like you are either going to have to do the B/C again or transition again. If you like the length, transition. Maybe you can do so protective styles like straw sets or rod sets. Or some braid outs. Just hang in there. You will be fine. Heat is hard on the naps.

Napia Mia
09-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Yep...been there done that.

http://imephotography.smugmug.com/photos/106554043-L.jpg

In the pic above, I used to try to camouflage my ends by rolling them on flexirods. After awhile, I got really tired of trying to deal with the damage. It was as bad as having relaxed ends.

Had to chop, chop. It was hard so I understand how you feel. Then 18 months after I had gotten rid of the obvious damage, I had another round of breakage. It was like the pressing comb/flat.iron and curling iron had created a different weaker texture. All of the remaining hair that had been pressed, although it hadn't had any heat applied to it for a year-and-a half broke off right where it butted against my nappy virgin (never been pressed hair). Again, just like permed hair will do where it meets your nappy new growth.

Up until that point, I mistakenly thought that all my remaining length was healthy...but it wasn't. So in June, I had to get my hair evened up and I said good bye to another four inches of hair. For me that was pretty traumatic, so again, I know how you feel.

It took a minute (more like a month or so) before I could appreciate the fact that I finally, for real, have a head of totally healthy hair that will NEVER have heat applied to it EVER again.

Sorry this happened. But for soooooo many of us (me included) that hand is not real until it slaps you. My suggestion is that you get rid of the obvious heat damage hair. No point in retaining it. Then gradually cut the rest out. It will take awhile but if you can't stand short hair (raises hand) that's one option or your could big chop and of course do extensions until your hair grows to a length that you're happy with.

Hugs, hugs hugs, and good luck. But you'll be aight...just got keep the naps away from the heat. :)

tmichelle
09-03-2007, 04:57 PM
I had to bc after a year. I have been wearing my hair chemical free for ten or so years but would constinently straighten it. My hair would NOT revert back and so I grew it out for almost a year and did the BC. Don't fret because with a years worth of new growth I still have a decent length and you will too.

P.S. Once your hair is damaged by the heat and won't re-napp after being in water for 2 minutes or so it won't ever re-napp.

luvmynaps
09-03-2007, 07:23 PM
http://imephotography.smugmug.com/photos/106554043-L.jpg

[/b]

That's exactly what my hair looks like :Angry:

I'm 'bout to go ahead and get my mind right for the cut. I'm tired of the straight ends. Thanks for the advice ladies!

Jazitones
09-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Sounds like heat damage. You are going to eventually lose that hair if you don't clip those ends. Either you start over again or do a gradual chop.

SeanymphPrincess
09-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Yea I agree with what every lady before me said. Either do the BC, or cut it gradually. I had to cut away probably 5 inches of old heat damaged ends. I felt horrible afterwards, because my hair was a little shorter, but i knew it was for the best. So hang in there everything will be o.k!!! Best of luck to you!!!

gr2006
09-04-2007, 08:03 AM
OT to the OP.

you know it really REALLY burns me up when folks (and this is peeps on :rolleyes: hairboards but also those "knowledgeable" salon peeps) say that you can "train the hair".

there is NO such thing as training your natural hair with ANY heat appliance!!!! What they are actually saying is that they can use heat to severely and permanently <strike>burn away</strike> damage the natural kink out of your hair

.....and to be honest, to burn your hair that straight (because it takes a higher level of heat over a regular number applications (although i know some here have it happen quicker)) over a long period of time is not any different than a cfc, except there are no caustic chemicals involved.

People keep using that phrase like they&#39;re doing something soooooooooo good <_< and :rolleyes: and wholesome <_< and double :rolleyes: :rolleyes: simply because they&#39;re not using a cfc anymore (more :rolleyes: :rolleyes:)

Training the hair is one of the more ridiculously ignorant and assanine statements i have ever heard and i&#39;m always ultra surprised how often i see folks, especialy those you&#39;d think would really know better, say it or even.........type it.

<leaves thread mumbling and grumbling: yea, training the hair...............yea, right - how :rolleyes:)