PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean Geneology

sunnysmile751
09-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Does anyone have any information on where to start geneology research if your family is from the Caribbean? Has anyone had any success with this. I know they say to research church records but is there anything else. I'm wondering if they kept slave registers also.

BKjc41907
09-04-2007, 10:55 AM
maybe hospital or government records
Ive been thinking about doing that to but unfortunely I dont think I would have much luck
both of my parents are from the west indies but I dont think that the Islands would have records that go very far
let me know how you make out

kmacbaje
09-04-2007, 01:03 PM
i think the church records are basically it-they may or may not include slave registers. I know britain has put slave records online. i forget the name of the online genealogic website where you can search them. my mother had great success at the national archives in barbados which contains church records going waaay back. i assume most other caribbean countries are the same. good luck.

kmac

simply natural
09-04-2007, 05:06 PM
my girlfriend from b'dos has been able to trace her family back to 1815 (so far). she contacted a historian living in britain (oddly enough with the same last name as hers) and he gave her a lot of really good information in a relatively short space of time (no doubt the "family" connection between the two made it easy - he's a descendant of the slave owners and she's a descendant of the enslaved). anyway she found him via her searches on ancestry.com (or .uk). i tried to see if the site could give me a lil something to work with (im from antigua and my family connections as far as i know are in antigua, st kitts, jamaica and dominica) but i wasn't able to get anything from the site. because of how the records in some of the islands were gathered (and transferred - or not - to england) your best bet may be to visit a local museum, look at the registry's records of births/deaths etc. it'll be tedious but you may be able to find a lot of good information.

sunnysmile751
09-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Yeah there seems to be a lot of information on Barbados. They kept very good records. My dad is from Antigua so I'll ask him about what records we could possibly look at. My mom is from St. Lucia but I've got more knowledge of her side through oral history but we would still like to know more about the African part.

rastagalNJ
09-05-2007, 09:46 AM
I'd be very interested in what you find. My family is from St. Kitts and I am planning a trip there to find out if I have any relatives alive still there.

BKjc41907
09-05-2007, 01:33 PM
I would love to try this but I dont know how much sucess i would get. My mom is from st vincent and is much smaller than barbados and I dont know how well they would have kept records...
only one way to find out
off to research :bolt:

Denny
09-06-2007, 05:40 AM
To my fellow Antiguans (via my maternal side) what village you all from, my family is from All Saints.

To my fellow Vincentians (via my paternal side) what village you all from, my family is from Georgetown via Sandy Bay.

BKjc41907
09-06-2007, 06:21 AM
my family is from barrolie (gotta love that black sand)
my uncle is Norell Hull he is a politican there

Soulsearch72
09-06-2007, 10:25 AM
I just did search and I found this site. I haven't read through it all..but it seems interesting.

http://www.movinghere.org.uk/galleries/roo...n/caribbean.htm (http://www.movinghere.org.uk/galleries/roots/caribbean/caribbean.htm)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/caribbeanhistory/

sunnysmile751
09-06-2007, 10:50 AM
To my fellow Antiguans (via my maternal side) what village you all from, my family is from All Saints.

To my fellow Vincentians (via my paternal side) what village you all from, my family is from Georgetown via Sandy Bay.
[/b]

My family is from Green Bay and Bolans in Antigua.

On the St. Lucian side, from Laborie, Anse La Raye and currently Castries.

Thanks for those links soulsearch!

BKjc41907
09-06-2007, 12:55 PM
wow thanks fo the info
my famly is decendent of the black carib( african and indian)
I think it is told that the africans that got to St.Vincent were those that tried to escape slavery
from what I understand these carib indians are originally from st vincent(Hairoun is the original name) and then migrated to the latin countries where they are called tanio?? they escaped from the europeans
(please correct me if in wrong)
but basically WE ARE ALL the same people

Kaiecie
09-06-2007, 01:22 PM
I'd say one of the first places to start would be with family members...you'd be amazed at what some ole folks will remember!

It also depends on which of the islands your prople are from. As you've seen on this site, Barbados' National Archives would be a good source of information. I'm sure all the other islands have their own National Archives.

Tracing your people is time consuming, but I look on it as a labour of love. To paraphrase Bob, "We know where we're going, (cos) we know where we're from"!

As always, Peace and Blessings
GoldenLady

sunnysmile751
09-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah I've talked with family members on my mom's side and got some really good information, like I thought our last name came from the slaveowners, but it's from a Frenchman who was an abolitionist of sorts. He married a black woman and that's how our family got that name.

@BKjc I also have Carib in my family. If you know the name of the Carib individual it should be easier to find more relatives. There are still Caribs in St. Vincent especially on the Northwest side of the island.

The Caribs (Kalinago) in the Caribbean are an Arawakan tribe that got mixed with Caribs (Galibi) from mainland South America. Tainos are Arawakan too. They were all once part of a large Arawak nation that was made up of six clans. Tainos, Caribs (or Kalinago), Garifuna, and Arawaks are related.

During the wars of the 1700s when the British and French were fighting many Caribs (who sided with the french) migrated to Dominica and St. Vincent, which were centers for colonial resistance. They also included black runaway slaves and mixed caribs (called black caribs)

Anyway I don't want to ramble on about it, but it's a good story of unity and resistance. In short, both blacks and Indians working together put up one helluva fight!

simply natural
09-10-2007, 05:12 AM
really? so im mine...well on my mommy's side. what's your family name? mine is archer.

I'd be very interested in what you find. My family is from St. Kitts and I am planning a trip there to find out if I have any relatives alive still there.
[/b]

i'm from town (st. johns) but my mom was born in all saints. whats your family name?

[/b]

all the islands kept records but as i understand it it that responsiblity was mostly left up to the churches (recording baptisms, burials, that sort of thing).

I would love to try this but I dont know how much sucess i would get. My mom is from st vincent and is much smaller than barbados and I dont know how well they would have kept records...
only one way to find out
off to research :bolt:
[/b]

sunnysmile751
09-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Hey all you St. Vincent folks, i just ran across a website dedicated to St. Vincent geneology. It's http://svgancestry.com/ .

BKjc41907
09-12-2007, 08:11 AM
thanx for the info :bolt:

pelogrueso
09-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Try family bibles and ancestry.com. Because of economic reasons and the proximity of the islands, there was a great deal of migration from island to island. My family is from Panama, but we originated from Surinam and St. Vincent (father's paternal side), Jamaica (father's maternal side), Barbadoes and Cuba (mother's paternal side). One of the things I've noticed is that finding my Bajan family (whom we've visited many times in Barbadoes) was the easiest. As one poster stated, they seem to have kept very good birth records and vital statistics. It's been much harder finding family in Surinam and St. Vincent. Through already established connections, the Jamaican family was not that hard to find either. Good luck with your search. Who knows maybe some of us on this board are related! As you can see, my family has been spread throughout south/central america and the caribbean.

Discodumpling
09-13-2007, 12:43 PM

[/b]

I was born in the village of Greenbay. My paternal Grandfather Edward "The Beast" Samuel still inhabits a house on a hill in Grey's Farm. My paternal grandmother (Dorothy Christian aka Mommie Joe) lives in "town". I have relatives from both sides throughout the island. My maternal grandmother is a 1st cousin of the former prime minister Vere Byrd sr. My maternal grandfathers surname was Richards.

FYI: Carib Indians are also alive & well on the island of Dominica. Their numbers get smaller each year as the younger genrations marry outside a. the tribe & b. the island :huh:

sunnysmile751
09-13-2007, 03:10 PM
I'll have to ask my dad about the names in Greenbay. I'm sure that he'll know your family though, lol. That's the way it is in Antigua.

Yes Caribs are alive and well, though most of us are mixed. But just like you don't necessarily stop being black because you are mixed you don't stop being Carib just because you are mixed. The Carib population has grown a lot! I think in Dominica if you're are born on the reservation there you are a Carib but on the other islands it's a matter of who you're descended from. We don't have a blood quantum requirement like here in the states.

sunnysmile751
09-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Ok more links:

Afrigeneas has a Caribbean forum: http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum-carib/

The CaribbeanGenWeb Project : http://www.rootsweb.com/~caribgw/indexe.html

Candoo (this site has addresses you can write to for records and such) : http://www.candoo.com/genresources/

BKjc41907
09-14-2007, 07:07 AM
"we drinkin, we drikin we drinkin we drinkin"( song from 2007 soca) sorry you all are bring out the west indie in me
:lol:

tangytic
09-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Ok more links:

Afrigeneas has a Caribbean forum: http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum-carib/

The CaribbeanGenWeb Project : http://www.rootsweb.com/~caribgw/indexe.html

Candoo (this site has addresses you can write to for records and such) : http://www.candoo.com/genresources/
[/b]

wow thanks!

nappi777
09-14-2007, 10:03 PM
:( OMG!! I see I'm not alone!!! I can't offer any advice, as all my on-line searches have come up short, and I gave up! The only thing that I've done was plug in key words, in hopes of getting links that might lead to more detailed info..It wasn't of much help, so I gave up a few years back. I'm going to try some of the suggestions that have already been made here.. I hope this all works out for everyone! My mother is from Jamaica, and unfortunately, she can't tell me too much detailed info about my relatives.She left there years ago, and a lot of them are now deceased.. I'd at least like to see some pics, but as of yet, I'm getting very few bits and pieces to the large puzzle.. :( Good luck, everyone!!!

simply natural
09-17-2007, 05:04 AM
very true. and probably will be interesting....my great grandfather (my mom's grandpa) was apparently from out that side (and seems to have single handed populated several villages lol). the family name is Henry. what's yours?

I'll have to ask my dad about the names in Greenbay. I'm sure that he'll know your family though, lol. That's the way it is in Antigua.

Yes Caribs are alive and well, though most of us are mixed. But just like you don't necessarily stop being black because you are mixed you don't stop being Carib just because you are mixed. The Carib population has grown a lot! I think in Dominica if you're are born on the reservation there you are a Carib but on the other islands it's a matter of who you're descended from. We don't have a blood quantum requirement like here in the states.
[/b]

leeltweety
09-17-2007, 06:04 AM
Just wanted to say that I love you my caribbean people!!! We are all the same but different and there lies the beauty of the caribbean islands.

Discodumpling
09-21-2007, 04:47 PM
More links. I found this to be fascinating! I knew the Irish were hated by the British but WOW! Who knew the extent.

Irish Slavery in the West Indies & Mainland America (http://www.raceandhistory.com/cgi-bin/forum/webbbs_config.pl/noframes/read/1638)

I once lived in the north Bronx where there is a large community of Irish people. I always found the Irish brogue so easy on my ears; sounds like WI dialect to me....now I know why.

tangytic
09-21-2007, 10:21 PM
More links. I found this to be fascinating! I knew the Irish were hated by the British but WOW! Who knew the extent.

Irish Slavery in the West Indies & Mainland America (http://www.raceandhistory.com/cgi-bin/forum/webbbs_config.pl/noframes/read/1638)
I once lived in the north Bronx where there is a large community of Irish people. I always found the Irish brogue so easy on my ears; sounds like WI dialect to me....now I know why.
[/b]

You are so right. I used to work with an irish woman who used to say "wait no" quite often. Everytime I heard her say this a strong sense of familiarity always came over me.

Denny
10-02-2007, 03:07 PM
really? so im mine...well on my mommy's side. what's your family name? mine is archer.
i'm from town (st. johns) but my mom was born in all saints. whats your family name?
all the islands kept records but as i understand it it that responsiblity was mostly left up to the churches (recording baptisms, burials, that sort of thing).
[/b]

Lewis

bajanempress
10-02-2007, 03:54 PM

[/b]

That really is interesting. I was always told that the Irish were indentured servants not slaves. Today we still have some of their descendants who are poor and live a hard life known as "poor whites" "red legs" and "ecky beckys"(derogatory) they are mostly found in the parish of St. John.

My mother's family was able to trace their roots for a number of generations back. My father's family roots on his mothers side have been passed down orally. We were lucky as my grandmother who was born in 1911 lived till she was 95 and had a memory that was sharp as a pin up until a week before she died.

Yekinae
10-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Representing for the blue, gold and green! Nice to see some many Vincentian sisters in here! As for finding records I think the court houses and registry offices are a good source of info.

Hope that helps! :wub:

missalyssa
10-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Last year I was able to trace my mother's paternal side to 1827 in Barbados. She had no idea I was doing it, I gave it to her as a Christmas present. My mom's mom was born in Trinidad, so I havent gotten there yet. If I had had more time on the island I would have looked at my dad's side too. I think my parents are going to keep building the family trees when they go back to Bdos this winter.

anyways, a Christian church collected a whole bunch of records from the archives in bdos and made a website (which of course I no longer have :rolleyes: ) it was mildly helpful. Actually being on the island was what helped. There's the Registrar in town for recent records. The Archives for the older records. There's also the manumission records that are kept at the university. If you hit the enslavement block, like I did, you can research the person who enslaved your ancestors, they might have their own journals or records.

From my understanding, Britain made the colonies keep records of enslaved people right around the end of enslavement (and of course I forget the dates, forgive me, its been a year 1830, 1834 around there). So records should exist for other islands. They just might not be online. I cant wait to go back this summer and continue my search.

happy searching
lys

ETA
1) immigration data might be available for inter-island migrations
2) registry of births/baptisms were controlled by the churches for a long time, so you might have to look at records from different churches
3) make nice with the Archives staff! they'll go the extra mile :)

Discodumpling
10-09-2007, 04:57 AM
Churches and local island archives are certainly helpful. but what do y'all know about records that may have been taken back to England? I've heard that many records were shipped back to England after independance...that would make our searches that much more challenging.

My Dad & I had a conversation recently where I learned that A. My great grannie was a whore. I had to laugh at that one....I can only imagine how many men found that saucy mouth attractive; her mouth was still fire when she died at age 89 in 1989
B. My great grandfather was a white man who may or may not have been a client. He was very good to granny and the children they produced & that's why we still have land in English Harbour today.

I also learned the name of my great-GREAT grandmother: Jerusha Drew

nashaa
10-10-2007, 11:04 AM
This is so interesting. I have thought about doing this; however, I never got around to it. My family is from Guyana.

I do have one interesting story -- my grandfather met a long lost cousin in a hospital a few months before he died. He and this cousin was sharing a room. The cousin son heard him speak, and realized that he was from Guyana. They started talking about their family history, and realized at the end of the conversation that they were related. My grandfather and his cousin are now deceased, but they have both left two families that are now getting to know each other.

Beautifully Human
10-18-2007, 07:20 AM
I've always been interested in tracing my roots but the thought of it overwhelms me. ;)

I can probably get as far as my great great grandmother on both my parents side of the family before I'm like forget it! Both my parents are from Guyana. I'm actually more curious about my dad's side of the family b/c I know less about their history. I think i'll ask my dad some questions and see what he says. He doesn't talk about his family history at all so it should be interesting.

I'll let you all know what I come up with...I could have a relative right here on NP and not even know it ^_^

What I know off the top of my head is my Mom's maiden name is Taitt. Her grand father (my great grandfather) was originally from Barbados and moved to Guyana to work where he married a Guyanese woman (my great grandmother) don't know what her maiden name was. My mother's mother (my grandmother) was a Jones. That's pretty much all I know for that side in terms of names.

My dad is a Francisco. I don't know what his mother's (my granny) maiden name is. :unsure:

Natural Mystic
10-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Great thread guys :)

I'm from Jamaica (St. Andrew parish), and I probably can only trace my roots back to my great grandfathers/mothers, some of whom were still alive when I was growing up in JA. My parents don't talk much about their ancestors so I'd have to do some digging.

All I know is that my great granddad on my father's maternal side was Jamaican Chinese (Chung) and he married my Great Grandma Julie who was black (I don't know her maiden name). I don't know anything about my dad's paternal great-grands or family. My mother's maternal great-grandfather was of Portugese and aboriginal/Arawak descent. My grandmother's (mother's mom) maiden name was Xyminis. Not sure about my mom's maternal great-grandmother.

My mom's paternal grandmother was still alive when I was growing up and I spent a lot of time with her. Sadly though, I never really talked about the family history. I just know that her father was white or part white or something. I need to ask the grands these things as they are getting on in years and their memories are not what they used to be.

This thread is very timely for me because I work in high schools, and in one of my schools the Drama teacher has started a geneology project among the staff to show the diversity in the school. He asked me to participate, and I was talking with him and some other teachers. One teacher was able to trace her family roots back to 16th century France and her ancestors had signed some important document in French history or something. Another teacher talked about how her ancestors were some of the first settlers in this area etc. in the year this and that. I was sitting there thinking that I would LOVE to know that much about my ancestors that far back in history!! With what I know now, there is no way I can go that far back.

After the discussion I thought at length about how much Africans and African descended people have lost because of slavery and racial oppression. I think that many whites who I've met and who have access to this information because it has been recorded and passed down really have very little appreciation for the value of that knowledge simply because they don't have an understanding of what it is like to NOT KNOW, or to NOT BE ABLE to know certain things even if one tried to find out.

Btw, that Irish stuff is very interesting!

LuaBonita
01-19-2008, 09:11 AM
my dad is from grenada. i have NO idea where to begin seeing as how i dont know any people on my father's side

any more ideas?

Carib_chick
01-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Good to see so many people interested in their family history.

I wrote a long post about doing online searches in another thread which I am linking to so I hope that answers the questions about that search method for those who are interested. There should also be information in there for those of you just starting out.

Good luck to all and I hope that helps.

Link to thread Tracing Our Roots? Is it possible online? (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50691&hl=)

sunnysmile751
04-23-2008, 04:05 AM
Ancestry.co.uk now has the slave registers for the British Islands online. You have to pay but it's good to have the info available! They also have links to places on each island where you can look for records.
http://landing.ancestry.co.uk/intl/uk/barb...id=0%3a7935%3a0 (http://landing.ancestry.co.uk/intl/uk/barbados.aspx?o_iid=35815&o_lid=35815&offerid=0%3a7935%3a0)

STARGiRL
04-24-2008, 01:27 AM
All I know is that my great granddad on my father's maternal side was Jamaican Chinese (Chung) and he married my Great Grandma Julie who was black (I don't know her maiden name). I don't know anything about my dad's paternal great-grands or family. My mother's maternal great-grandfather was of Portugese and aboriginal/Arawak descent. My grandmother's (mother's mom) maiden name was Xyminis. Not sure about my mom's maternal great-grandmother.
[/b]

At least Chung seems to be a name that modern day Chinese families carry. My mothers side is called Koonhow (and Ali, for those born after my Chinese Great-grandmother remarried an East Indian man) and when researching it I've found nothing that comes even remotely close to it. My mother thinks that the name might have been transcribed incorrectly in records or it evolved from a much more difficult to pronounce spelling. All Koonhows in Trinidad seem to be related as far as we know, however some spell it hypenated (Koon-how) or with a capital H (KoonHow) or a mixture of the two.

Great thread