PDA

View Full Version : Growing Pumpkins

demi
09-07-2007, 12:05 PM
This is my first time planting pumpkins and I need some help. I planted one pumpkin plant in June and now it is huge and taking over my garden. I have 4 very large (about 40 lbs each), yellow pumpkins and 2 smaller ones. I planted them to have for Halloween so that my kids can carve Jack-O-Lanterns. I also want to roast pumpkin seeds and maybe make something like pumpkin pie or soup. I have no idea what type of pumpkins these are as I just bought the first plant I found. They are big and yellow but look just like the regular orange ones. My question is what is the best way to do this? Should I cut them all now or maybe just a couple of them? Or wait, let them get bigger and cut them closer to Halloween? How do I store them til Halloween? Inside or outside? When we finally do carve them, how to keep them "fresh"? We usually carve them a week or two before Halloween but they rot and get all nasty before Halloween. Anyone growing pumpkins or have any advice for me? Recipes? Ideas?

Thx

honeybunch2k5
09-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Don't wet the leaves and don't water past 5. This helps to avoid mildew.

Squash bugs may become pests. I accidentally found a way to distract them. I had a bird feeder bell in the back yard (which they loved) and my crops in the front yard. They are attracted to the fruit, and if they go to the bell it's easier to kill them all at once. I use diatom earth.

deecoily
09-17-2007, 01:23 AM
Congrats on your pumpkins!

I always wait until the first frost to harvest the pumpkins. But if it's a late start to winter harvest earlier. The longer you leave them, the bigger they will grow.

I have a separate pumpkin patch because I also found that they would take over. I alternate zucchinis with pumpkins in the same patch.

I never had any trouble with bugs. Matter of fact, the only decent veggie crop I got last year was pumpkins because locusts ate everything else.

demi
09-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the advice, ladies. The weather is so weird here lately I don't know what to do. This morning it was sunny and warm and this evening it's cold and raining. I may have to cut them all sooner than planned. But let me tell you what happened last week.

I cut two of the pumpkins off and put them out in front of the house as decorations. Can you believe somebody stole one of them? Well, he said he "thought" they were free give-aways :rolleyes: I live in a really small town with about 900 people where everyone knows everyone. He was from out of town visiting some friends, saw my pumpkins and wanted to take one home to his grandkids or something. Well, my two <strike>noisy</strike> helpful old lady neighbors saw him walking away around the corner with my pumpkin and ran outside to catch him.

At this moment I just happened to look out the window and saw my other neighbor (his friend) walking towards my house with a huge pumpkin that looked just like mine. He was bringing back the pumpkin his friend took. I went outside to see what the hell was going on. The two old ladies were telling him those are Demi&#39;s pumpkins for decoration. He and his friend were apologizing and saying he thought they were okay to take, blah, blah, blah. So being the nice neighbor that I am, I gave him the pumpkin. He said thanks and everybody went home. He stopped by yesterday to apologize again and brought me a huge bag of chocolates, cause he know he was Wrong!!!

I&#39;m gonna plant two plants next year and sell those bad boys!!!

EmpressRi
09-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the advice, ladies. The weather is so weird here lately I don&#39;t know what to do. This morning it was sunny and warm and this evening it&#39;s cold and raining. I may have to cut them all sooner than planned. But let me tell you what happened last week.

I cut two of the pumpkins off and put them out in front of the house as decorations. Can you believe somebody stole one of them? Well, he said he "thought" they were free give-aways :rolleyes: I live in a really small town with about 900 people where everyone knows everyone. He was from out of town visiting some friends, saw my pumpkins and wanted to take one home to his grandkids or something. Well, my two <strike>noisy</strike> helpful old lady neighbors saw him walking away around the corner with my pumpkin and ran outside to catch him.

At this moment I just happened to look out the window and saw my other neighbor (his friend) walking towards my house with a huge pumpkin that looked just like mine. He was bringing back the pumpkin his friend took. I went outside to see what the hell was going on. The two old ladies were telling him those are Demi&#39;s pumpkins for decoration. He and his friend were apologizing and saying he thought they were okay to take, blah, blah, blah. So being the nice neighbor that I am, I gave him the pumpkin. He said thanks and everybody went home. He stopped by yesterday to apologize again and brought me a huge bag of chocolates, cause he know he was Wrong!!!

I&#39;m gonna plant two plants next year and sell those bad boys!!!
[/b]

wow!!!!!!! at least he tried to right his wrong lol

ooh i wonder if i can grow pumpkins. we grew veggies in the backyard this year but i have to see about pumpkins.