PDA

View Full Version : African Violets

tamtam
09-09-2007, 01:43 PM
I think I have the watering thing down, but still have no flowers, just leaves. Any sites that people like to refer to or any tips as to the placement and cultivation of A.V.'s? Mine was a housewarming gift, but promptly lost all it's flowers. I also learned the hard way that too much light yellowed the leaves. Thanks!

mscocoface
09-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Not an expert but learned this can be a picky bunch. There is a food supplement that I bought from Home depot it is completely natural as was created by some college kids doing a thesis and the bottle it comes in is a recycled plastic soda bottle.

You will lose the flowers, but not to worry they will come back next year you will just have green leaves throughout the winter months. Mine showed up again in May and I still have some flowering, but noticed of late the flowers are little a little worn so I think they are about to be dormant again.

I pulled up everything I could find online about them and tried to go with the simpliest routine. I keep my in a window box that is in front of my kitchen sink.

tamtam
09-17-2007, 04:41 AM
Not an expert but learned this can be a picky bunch. There is a food supplement that I bought from Home depot it is completely natural as was created by some college kids doing a thesis and the bottle it comes in is a recycled plastic soda bottle.

You will lose the flowers, but not to worry they will come back next year you will just have green leaves throughout the winter months. Mine showed up again in May and I still have some flowering, but noticed of late the flowers are little a little worn so I think they are about to be dormant again.

I pulled up everything I could find online about them and tried to go with the simpliest routine. I keep my in a window box that is in front of my kitchen sink.
[/b]

Thanks. I'll have to check out Home Depot. :-)

sandye1957
09-27-2007, 06:50 PM
African violet food along with plenty of light helps with blooming and make sure not to get the leaves wet.

caisha
10-27-2007, 07:07 AM
Do not wet the leaves and make sure it has plenty of light. As another poster said the flowers will die but they will come back. Also Miracle Grow also will make blooms come in too.

tamtam
10-30-2007, 09:27 PM
sorry to say..my african violet is no more * sniff* I won't give up though. Another time maybe - oh well.

mwedzi
02-27-2008, 07:50 AM
Oh, sorry I didn't see this earlier. I don't know if I'd call myself an "expert," but probably other people would. I'm a member of the Illinois Gesneriad society (Chicago folk, come to our show Mar 15-16 at the Chicago Botanic Gardens!). Gesneriads are members of the family African violets are in, and African violets are the ones out of the family I grow the most. Just like a lot of things, once you know the basics, it's not hard.

Soil: a medium to light-weight soil. Almost all serious hobby growers will lighten any mix they buy at a box store like Home Depot. You lighten the mix with perlite, which can also be bought at the store. This allows more air at the roots and keeps the soil from staying soggy for too long. Though it's good to have soil that is frequently just damp, you don't want very heavy soil that hangs on to water too much. You'll get root rot.

Watering: Keep slightly damp at most times, but allow the soil to dry out a bit every now and then. Not for too long. Some people keep their violets moist all the time, but I don't like the result this gives me. Water until you see water come out of the bottom. This is a good rule of thumb for most plants, as it helps the plants roots grow down and fill the pot and not all stay at the top of the soil.

Light: Bright indirect. Plants need light. I can't tell you how many times I see plants in low light conditions and people wonder why the plant isn't thriving. They make food from light! This plant can even take some direct light (as in sunshine on its leaves), but preferably in the cooler part of the day, so if you have an east-facing window, that would be good. If you do not have natural light, try a flourescent. I actually grow all my violets under flourescents on a plant stand, but I don't expect most people to do this.

Temp: These plants are generally comfortable at the temperature humans are comfortable at. They bloom less in temps over 80 degrees and start looking unhappy in temps over 90.

Fertilizing: Consistent low levels of fertilizing are good, less in the hottest part of summer and in the coldest parts of winter. But fertilizers will build up. Which is why it's good to flush the soil every now and then by running water through it for 20 sec or so. Think of it like clarifying your hair. Well, not quite. But heavy buildup of salts from fertilizer messes with the ph, so not good.

Of course many people grow decent violets without paying much attention to this, but the guidelines above are for optimal growth. Bright indirect light, consistent moisture and an occasional fertilizing should get you pretty good growth. Check my fotki for a few pictures. hth

tamtam
02-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Wow thanks that was super thorough, I will come back to this thread when i finally DO get another AV.