PDA

View Full Version : Do-it-yourself Tips

demi
09-14-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't know if this topic range is too large but I thought it would be a good place for us to start listing our tips and little tricks (or what have you) that help us around the house. You can list things that you actually do, use or heard about. You can also make requests. I'll start....

Fruit Fly Killer
1 cup water, 2 TBS vinegar, 1 tsp sugar, a squirt of dishwashing liquid
Stir all in a small bowl or cup and place in area where the fruit flies are. They fly in the solution and die. Easy, non-toxic and it works! I keep a small coffee cup on my kitchen windowsill and it catches all those pesky lil buggers. I replace it about every 4-5 days.

Unclumped Salt Shaker
Add a few grains of rice to salt shaker to prevent salt clumping from moisture.

All-Purpose Cleaner
empty spray bottle, 2 cups water, 1 TBS baking soda, 1-2 TBS vinegar, few drops of essential oil (I use Lavender)

Glass Cleaner
spray bottle, splash of vinegar and rubbing alcohol, few drops of essential oil (orange or lavender)

Anyone else?

tamtam
09-14-2007, 12:11 PM
I don't know if this topic range is too large but I thought it would be a good place for us to start listing our tips and little tricks (or what have you) that help us around the house. You can list things that you actually do, use or heard about. You can also make requests. I'll start....

Fruit Fly Killer
1 cup water, 2 TBS vinegar, 1 tsp sugar, a squirt of dishwashing liquid
Stir all in a small bowl or cup and place in area where the fruit flies are. They fly in the solution and die. Easy, non-toxic and it works! I keep a small coffee cup on my kitchen windowsill and it catches all those pesky lil buggers. I replace it about every 4-5 days.

Unclumped Salt Shaker
Add a few grains of rice to salt shaker to prevent salt clumping from moisture.

All-Purpose Cleaner
empty spray bottle, 2 cups water, 1 TBS baking soda, 1-2 TBS vinegar, few drops of essential oil (I use Lavender)

Glass Cleaner
spray bottle, splash of vinegar and rubbing alcohol, few drops of essential oil (orange or lavender)

Anyone else?
[/b]
yeah I could use that fruit fly concoction. Anything for houseflies besides keeping the dishes clean and taking out the garbage? lol I couldn't find a spray that wasn't lethal to me or my cat.

Pcandlyte
09-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Great topic!

What's the easiest way to clean baseboards? I usually get down on all fours to clean them, but as each home we buy gets bigger, I need an easier approach.

Some tips:

I always clean mirrors with a damp cloth. Before the mirror dries, I wipe it with a soft, clean, dry cloth. I never get any streaks, and window cleaner isn't everywhere.

Same thing for my stainless steel appliances and glass top tables.

anabwi
09-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Nuh, naw, no, no !! I swiffer the dirt from the top of the baseboards with a long-handled Swiffer that's also used for the ceiling fans. When my mom was ill, someone gave her a long handled sponge thing that bends in the middle. I think it was supposed to be used to clean the caulk line where the tub meets the wall. Anyway, I dip that sucker in the cleaning solution, squeeze it out until almost dry, run it down the baseboard and wa-la, it's clean and I'm standing up.

Pcandlyte
10-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Thank you anabwi! I have a swiffer wet and the dusters, but I never thought of using either of them on the baseboards. I think I know what you're talking about. I thank you, but most of all my knees thank you!

tashaboo74
03-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Mopping wood laminate floors: Use a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and cold water. Mop floor with DAMP mop, not soaking wet. Concentrate on areas where dirty, sticky spots are visible. Allow to air dry.

gigglezk
03-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Removing Stain or Anything Sticky From Hands:
Rub hands in vegetable oil and then use dish washing liquid to cleanse hands and remove oil.

tamtam
04-06-2008, 08:48 PM
I have an old porcelain tub in my apt ( the building is 1920's era) and after a plumbers visit there were scratches in the tub - why they can't respect peoples property, I don't know). Of course i had to clean it up right away.
I sprayed some "Tilex" type cleaner in my tub and walked away When i came back there were monstrous rust stains in my tub !!! I was like :noway: then, :( , then :brickwall: .
I did some googling and found out that porcelain/earthenware and clorox do not mix AT ALL. Mind you i have used Softscrub with success - i thought that was chuck full of clorox.
My solution was hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda ( if you want to make a paste). It worked immediately!!!!! My stains are almost gone - i should have taken pics but at the time i thought i had no solution. I went on to google a natural bathroom cleaner to use from now on - it was originally a recipe from Natural Home Magazine:

Silky Scrub
1 cup baking soda, in a medium sized mixing bowl
1/2 cup liquid castile soap
5-10 drops of antibacterial essential oil, such as lavender, tea tree or rosemary (optional)
Procedure:
1. Pour baking soda into a medium size bowl.
2. Add soap a little at a time, stirring continuously, until your mixture has begun to resemble frosting.
3. Mix in drops of essential oil.
4. Store in an airtight jar for up to a year.

I just made some with Dr Bronner's lavender castile soap, so i left out the EO. It smells so good. Looks like soufflee - lol. I can't wait to see how is cleans.

Hope this helps anyone in the future with "rusty" porcelain tubs!

Tamtam