PDA

View Full Version : I Found My Fathers Family Too!

Shawndolyn
09-16-2007, 07:47 PM
After almost a year of spending several hours searching on the internet, going to several libraries and digging through old records, making several calls to schools, hospitals, agencies...I FOUND OUT I HAVE 1 SISTER AND 2 BROTHERS.

I have never seen my father or any of his family. He died in Los Angeles just before my 5th birthday. I've always lived in Indianapolis, IN. Anyway the only information I had on him was his name and birthdate. Well Friday I received his divorce papers. That's when I found out about my siblings and the live right here in the same city on the same side of town that he does.

I called their phone number but noone anwered. I don't know if they know about me or not. When I was conceived he lived in LA with his wife/thier mother. So I don't know what kind of reaction I may get, which is scary. My father has been dead for 31 years and hopefully they will want to meet me. If nothing else, I would love to have a picture of my father.

AussieCurl
09-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Wow! Your story really touched me because my experience was similar. In my case my, 'brother from another mother' (as I affectionately refer to him ) sought me out. I'm now really blessed to have an additional brother, sister as well as nieces and nephews that I love dearly.

Assuming you do get in contact with them, the only 'trick' I found is to understand that their relationship and feelings about their father are likely to be very very different from yours. Just respect and seek to understand their unique points of view and it will be fine (I had a lot of abandonment issues that my half siblings didn't understand because he had never left them, for instance). I had to learn that it wasn't appropriate for me to burden them with those feelings. I have other friends and confidants for that.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you make some new friends.

Shawndolyn
09-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Thank you AussieCurl for your wise tips. I definitely don't want to offend them. That's why I am nervous as to how I should introduce myself to them. I don't think my family knows I exist.

I am happy that your experience was positive. How did your family know about you?

SoSoul
12-13-2007, 02:14 AM
After almost a year of spending several hours searching on the internet, going to several libraries and digging through old records, making several calls to schools, hospitals, agencies...I FOUND OUT I HAVE 1 SISTER AND 2 BROTHERS.

I have never seen my father or any of his family. He died in Los Angeles just before my 5th birthday. I've always lived in Indianapolis, IN. Anyway the only information I had on him was his name and birthdate. Well Friday I received his divorce papers. That's when I found out about my siblings and the live right here in the same city on the same side of town that he does.

I called their phone number but noone anwered. I don't know if they know about me or not. When I was conceived he lived in LA with his wife/thier mother. So I don't know what kind of reaction I may get, which is scary. My father has been dead for 31 years and hopefully they will want to meet me. If nothing else, I would love to have a picture of my father.
[/b]

GOOD LUCK GIRL. I WOULD LIKE FOR YOU TO HAVE A PICTURE TOO. OH!! AND CONGRDULATIONS ON YOUR PREGNANCY! YOUR BABY IS SO CUTE ON THE ULTRASOUND. REMINDS ME OF WHEN I SAW MY GIRL.

naturallykristin
02-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Wow your story is similar to mine.

My father was married, and cheated with my mother, so now I'm here. He's still married to that same lady (although he cheated again years later with a different woman and conceived my little sister). Anyway, I just met my family after I turned 18. They don't like me because I'm the other woman's child. I hope things work out better for you!

smchadwic
03-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Wow, so give us an update. Whatever happened?