PDA

View Full Version : Your Homes First Impression...

sunschild57
09-19-2007, 10:08 AM
I've been told many times that my home screams that a black person lives here. Maybe it's because of the black art that's on the walls and that i'm not afraid of color :dunno: Maybe it's the African stools and mask (although i've been to the homes of some of my white co-workers and they have masks and stools). I just don't know.

Does your home say "black owned"? What makes it black?

rastagalNJ
09-19-2007, 01:14 PM
From the outside I don't believe you can tell but as soon as you walk inside, you can certainly tell. I too have lots of African American art on the wall as a matter of fact my sunporch has a large print as soon as you open the door facing you.

I also have very colorful walls (orange sunporch, burgundy dining room and a different shade of orange in the living room)

msdeevan
09-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Essence had an article about this years ago and since then I've always asked myself this question and I think of that when I go into others homes.

Yes, you can tell that my house is owned by us. AA art and all the rest.

Cheleigh
09-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Probably. Not as "soon" as you walk in (the foyer is a blank canvas), but about 10 steps into the house. I have three art pieces on the living room walls--all of black folk (one is an Erte piece with a black woman and a white dog, so it's not all African American per se) and my dining room has African and African inspired pieces in it, including a water color from Kenya. I would mostly say it's because of the wall artwork rather than some of the other pieces.

I prefer neutral wall and furniture colors colors however. Only my "office" is vibrantly colored in olive and grey with B&W photo reproductions.

Reflection Journey
09-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Yes it does. My home is surrounded by Black Art, African status ,painting, drums, Black Angels, African history books, even the status that i collect from willow tree are black.

Jazitones
09-20-2007, 07:08 AM
Not from the outside, but when you enter the foyer yeah my home does represent my love for the African arts.

gigglezk
09-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Nope. I have no African artifacts, pictures, etc. Nothing. I've got wind chimes on the outside and that's it. The only artwork we have is several pictures of flowers that my husband took for me. Whenever he travels, he finds a tulip (my favorite) and catches a breath taking photo for me. Then we blow the photo up and frame them. Aside from pictures of our family, you wouldn't think Black people lived here.

Maybe one day when I'm old, I'll put a picture of Jesus and one of Barack Obama :P

SweetHoneyLocs
09-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Well, from the outside you will think Black people live here. But that is only because it is in a mostly Black neighborHOOD. Once entering my apartment you get the feeling that a Black person most definitely lives here. There is Black Art on the walls, and black literature on the bookcase.

aquababie19
09-23-2007, 03:02 PM
yep! we have black art on our walls. i have a beautiful mudcloth hanging in my front room.

Ebonique
09-24-2007, 10:10 AM
I have a couple of african figurines that my sister game me last christmas and a rug hanging on the wall that I bought from Egypt, otherwise it doesn't look all that black. The walls have a lot of color so maybe I would be mistaken for a Caribbean or other island household.

Yonique
09-24-2007, 10:31 AM
You have to walk all the way in and down the hall toward my bedroom and there you would find some African art. If you stayed in the living, dining, kitchen or den I would say no aside from family photos.

Daughter-of-Diaspora
09-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Hmmm..... I have two themes. One of course is my heritage, so I have masks, figurines, pics, mud cloth and other decor that represent where my forefathers originate from. The other is Asian art. I luv studying the history of the Asian culture and I am a huge Karate fan (and I practice from time to time).

I don't mix the two, but they flow together pretty well.

Not sure what impression folks get when they visit my home, but my wish is that they feel relaxed and welcome... and they usually do since I have earthy tones all over.

deecoily
09-25-2007, 10:19 PM
I've been told many times that my home screams that a black person lives here. Maybe it's because of the black art that's on the walls and that i'm not afraid of color :dunno: Maybe it's the African stools and mask (although i've been to the homes of some of my white co-workers and they have masks and stools). I just don't know.

Does your home say "black owned"? What makes it black?
[/b]

Not from the outside. From the outside it looks like ummmm.... a kind of peyote, Southwestern desert type adobe home. Inside, it is full of Africana and Indonesian furniture like deep carved ebony wood, and tribal things like animal prints, hanging rugs, I have throws on my couch, pillows on the floor around a round, white marble coffee table, etc. You can see in my avatar, my gold buddha (which I've since moved and replaced with a sitting buddha) and my drapes are heavy white raw silk with tiger and zebra print edging. They're from South Africa. My house definitely does not look "White". That's for sure. Nothing matches. :lol:

bajanempress
09-26-2007, 12:04 AM
Yep definitely, its in the artwork on the walls and the black literature on the book cases.

anabwi
09-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Outside? No, but when you open the door, pow-yah !!
Two curios filled with Black figurines, art on the wall including my beloved picture of Buckwheat I've had since college.

honeychild
09-27-2007, 07:52 AM
oh hecky yeah. from the porch. from down the street if you're paying attention: my intercontinental afro-pick collection is displayed in the front window, and the hubster did frosted-glass protective odinkra symbols in each of the four small panes of glass in the front door.

and it just gets blacker from there. ;)

living room:
large framed ghanain barbershop poster ...
small framed 8mm film canister box: 'polynesian beauties'...
waist-high stack of art books by the chair; titles like 'freedom!' and 'black style' (and ok, the journals of kurt kobain and the secret art of dr seuss too; we are nothing if not eclectic)...
cast brass afro pic icon on the inside of the front door...
hand painted 'primitive' style painting on cloth from a DOPE artist friend of ours, featuring two stylized early-man style figures with spears, chasing a bowler-hatted, briefcase-wielding man out of their village

liberian sand painting in the dining room...

kitchen:
photo of a ghanaian man poling a canoe down a river next to the window...
framed menu from a greasy spoon in bed stuy: 'down south cafe & caribbean restaurant' ...
rescued af-am antiques: framed cream of wheat ad from 100 years ago featuring the black chef feeding two white babies; and our 'twin goddesses' holding court over the sink: figurines of a cast iron 'mammy' figure, and storm from the x-men. nurturing and destroying, twin faces of the same black womanhood power.

not to mention the black power bathroom - red walls, green shower curtain, b&w tile... and framed albums of roberta flack and angela davis' most afro-liscious album covers.

or the art rails at the top of the stairs where the hubster keeps a rotating curation of art, album covers, magazines, and comic books: right now it's manu dibango's album with the woman on the savannah; a superman comic where lois lane goes into a maching to turn herself into a soul sista with an afro; and the plastic-encased issue of rolling stone featuring Living Color on the cover.

there's a huge fishbone poster on the outside of the music room door.

cmon. :wub:

we didn't consciously set out to make the blackest house possible or anything; and there are plenty of other collections that don't necessarily count toward the blackness points, (8mm film cameras, lunchboxes, samurai jack and earthworm jim toys, finger puppets, thriving houseplants, 700million books, whatever.) but yeah. the house reflects our aesthetic, and there's no question at all that two really happy proud artsy and playful black folks live in our house.

anabwi
09-27-2007, 05:27 PM
^^^ OK now, power to da people :afro: :)

Nappilocs
10-16-2007, 12:38 PM
I haven't done much work in my home yet but you can tell by the contents of the boxes in my spare bedroom that it's a black person just moved in :lol:
The only room that is complete is my bedroom, it's orange and decorated with Afrikan art, and an oshun shrine.

Y'all are inspiring me...

lifeAgift
10-17-2007, 02:41 PM
My outside screams unkept, which could be a
ny race. We are behind on mowing
and my crepe myrtles look dehydrated.

Inside screams Asian and African as in Egyptian and
Afro Centric/ African American/ B. Smith Ecclectic

Mae
10-23-2007, 11:15 AM
I grew up in a house that had art depicting topless African women, drums, and African animal figurines (including a 5 foot tall straw girrafe)....so you can imagine what my home looks like, lol....I did not think my house looked that Afrocentric anymore (when I was younger I had ancestor altars and the like prominently displayed), but a date that I brought home told me later that he was "uneasy" with all of the African stuff in my house (he was African-American btw)....my artwork is from Brazil and Jamaica, but I have a Kwanzaa banner, various African symbols, some African prints, instruments, and also a bit of Asian and Asian influenced art and decorations...not to mention the tons of books....my colors are eath tones, and i have baskets and plants all through the living room....I also have a bunch of my parents artwork that I have to reframe and hang up...so the topless African woman has a new home.....I LOVE MY HOUSE....

Poetic_Butterfly
10-24-2007, 03:45 PM
I have Black art in all the rooms of my house or some aspect of African Rastafarian type stuff. I have a picture of a Rastababy in my living room. I have a picture of a African Queen and her baby that I have to put in a frame. I have an altar that you see when you enter my home and artifacts from Zimbabwe that are on our entertainment center. I have an African drum, musical instruments from Zimbabwem baskets with cloth on the inside, fabrics on tables, aprons from South Africa that were wedding presents. I don't think that it would be any big surprise that a Black African centered person lives in my house. I mean you get a big whiff of incense burning when you enter my home as well :lol:

Peace & Bless,
Rasta

meagan22
11-01-2007, 08:35 PM
and it just gets blacker from there. ;)
[/b]
this part made me :lol:

Where I live? From the outside, no. But it would be a reasonable assumption because my neighborhood is majority Black folks.

From the inside? Yes. There are a few pieces of Black art in the living room and tons of Black History and Afrocentric books in the book case. The rest of the house is ver generic/'race' neutral.

Truessence
11-02-2007, 12:40 PM
I mean you get a big whiff of incense burning when you enter my home as well :lol:
[/b]

Same thing happens when you walk into my house! I burn incense at least three to four time a day, and also you can tell that someone loves to read and collects books of the African Diaspora, and that would be me. I really need to get a bigger bookshelf in my living room. My house gives the impression that I love African art such as masks and statues.

Karibana
11-05-2007, 05:37 PM
My house is, in my mind, neutral because I'm more influenced by shelter magazines. My bedroom, at it's best, says hotel chic even with the earth tones I use. Now you can tell a black person lives here because my fridge is littered with pix of my family and I have 2'x2' picture in my living room but take them away and you'd probably assume a white person lives here.

Trenellm
11-06-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm slowly trying to bring some sort of decor to this house.

The first time I walked into this house, my husband lived here with 3 other guys. The lady he bought it from gave him a lot of the furniture. The house basically looked like some frat boys robbed an old lady.

ctate5
11-14-2007, 06:30 PM
nope, i have pieces by black artists, but they don't say 'black art'. but i do have a few seagrass baskets laying around, that might give it away. i also by art whenever i visit a new country.

onyxspirals
11-22-2007, 05:17 PM
No. I, too, live in a Black neighborhood, but, that's the only clue you would have from the outside. The only Black art I have are two paintings done by a friend who is an amazing artist. The first painting is a red and orange "head shot" of a woman with locks. The next one is a similar painting of me done in shades of blue and green. I really like it because she made the locks look wild'n'free. Other than that, you wouldn't know. I do have a box of old Essence mags, does that count? hehe

When I had my apartment, I had a nice mudcloth on the wall and a couple of masks. Got rid of all of it. New beginnings!

tenachie
11-22-2007, 05:21 PM
yes.

african literature and discourse in the bookcase. african art and sculptures around - not overdone. black faces in the picture frames.

there's no denying.

bronze
01-11-2008, 04:01 AM
-------

Wonderfully Made!
02-20-2008, 04:43 PM
No, but I have my eye on some beautiful Nigerian artwork.

ray
02-21-2008, 06:14 PM
When you first enter our townhouse not at all. We don't have any black art or anything. But if you start looking at all of the books we have then oh yeah you can tell. All of the Black history books, slavery and books by Black writters is a majority in our many bookcases.

Soulsearch72
12-08-2008, 03:03 AM
IF it weren't for my personal pictures up, a stranger would think that I was a confused racist. I have art with black folks and white folks in it. I also have a sign that says "Colored waiting area".. I have that posted in my living room. LOL

Chocolate CurlyGirl
12-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Not until they see my pictures. Everyone says my townhouse looks like a model home lol. So, it doesn't seem race specific.

sunschild57
12-10-2008, 08:43 PM
IF it weren't for my personal pictures up, a stranger would think that I was a confused racist. I have art with black folks and white folks in it. I also have a sign that says "Colored waiting area".. I have that posted in my living room. LOL
[/b]
I want one of those signs :P

Nappy Neck
12-12-2008, 09:29 PM
From the outside probably not but once you walk in; yes.