PDA

View Full Version : Bedroom Makeover

Beautifully Human
09-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Hey all,

I want to update my bedroom and make into my own little sanctuary but I need to do it on a budget. Any tips you can share?

rastagalNJ
09-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Hey Beautifully Human, I live on the HGTV website and they have some really great tips for decorating on there check it out.

Beautifully Human
09-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks rastagal I'll check it out :)

Daughter-of-Diaspora
09-25-2007, 06:31 PM
When I'm ready for a bedroom makeover, I start with a new comforter set (bed-in-a-bag). You can find it at a decent price at K-Mart (like $40 bucks), but you have to buy extra sheets with a better thread count (somewhere down the line, or use what you have already), cause the ones that come with the cheapo but cute comforter set :icon_headshake:

rastagalNJ
09-26-2007, 07:22 AM
When I'm ready for a bedroom makeover, I start with a new comforter set (bed-in-a-bag). You can find it at a decent price at K-Mart (like $40 bucks), but you have to buy extra sheets with a better thread count (somewhere down the line, or use what you have already), cause the ones that come with the cheapo but cute comforter set :icon_headshake:
[/b]

^^^You ain't never lied. That was the first thing I did when I started decorating my new bedroom, I bought a bed in bag comforter set from Kmart, which I love. I also have added tall floor plants, a bamboo mirror. inexpensive things that make a big difference.

Try moving furniture in a new combination if you have room, sometimes that totally changes the look of the room greatly. Enhance all the natural light in your bedroom to give it a airy, roomy feel or if you are going for cozy and secluded, bring in dark window treatments to make you feel like you are in a cocoon.

Beautifully Human
09-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Those are some great tips ladies. I really do need a new bed in a bag too. I actually need to repaint my bedroom so once I get the new comforter set I'll choose colours that compliment the blanket :)

I want to get one of those bamboo looking window treatments I think they're called? Basically like those pull down blinds but in the bamboo texture cause I like that look. I've seen them at wal mart and they're pretty reasonably priced.

anabwi
09-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Candles are a nice touch.

lifeAgift
09-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Extra Pillows

A fabric covered chair

Wicker Hampers

Softer light bulbs

Alter in the corner

pain one wall or the ceiling a contrasting color

Elevae your bed wih extra box springs or risers on the frame

MAke a headboard

Get rid of TV, Stack of Misc paper and anything that doesn't match with sleep, smooches or relaxations

Stencil a design on one wall

seek_first
10-01-2007, 05:12 PM
I bought a yard or two of a fabric design that I liked and hung them on the wall in a decorative pattern. I'll post pictures whenever I get my camera back.

Ebonique
10-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Elevae your bed wih extra box springs or risers on the frame
[/b]

If you do elevate your bed you might have to get longer sheets to compensate for the height, unless you don't mind people seeing what's under your bed.

jorjeni
10-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Paint your old funiture and just update the hardware. Make a cover for your old comforter(I know what it's called just won't even attempt to try and spell it LOL) using material on sale at Walmart or other place that have fabric real cheap.

Us old boxes covered with material or paper or paint. I have those paper boxes you get real cheap from like Hobby lobby I painted them to match my room using the little bottles of paint for like $1 some I got on sale for even less.

Some of the things I did is in my album. I am getting ready to redo the room cause it is no longer what I want.

One more thing

Dollar stores!!!! Like the family dollar or dollar general.

Nappilocs
10-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Some of the things I did :
I went to the African shop in the neighborhood and got some scraps of material, and simply framed them in picture frames that I got from Dollar General.
Marshall's/ TJ Maxx, and Ross is my best friend for decorative items, bedding and curtains.
If there is an IKEA in your area, you can find great things there in the clearance sections.
I found two really fun comfort covers from IKEA recently. I paid a little under $40.00 for both of them and they they both match my bright orange bedroom.
I purchased gold colored sheer drapes from Ross for the low- low on yesterday and I am going to hang them from the ceiling to make a make shift canopy.

mslady
10-23-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm in the process of doing my bedroom over too. Some things I have, some things I still have to buy.

You can check Target, I like the things that they have. Also Marshalls like nappilocs mentioned. I like picture frames. Vases with something in them, you know those fancy sticks. You can get those from a craft store. That's about it, there are some great ideas already mentioned. I have to check out that HGTV website.

Beautifully Human
10-24-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm still being hella lazy and haven't done a thing to my room yet ;) I really just need to get it together and get it painted first and then I will go from there. The people who lived in our house before us had kids and the room i'm in has porcelain doll border going around the room. I find it creepy and I don't like a bunch of white dolls staring at me :unsure:

I love some of the ideas in here though! Love that idea of framing vibrant african fabrics!

I'll update you guys when i've actually accomplished something and will post pics :)

Nappilocs
10-25-2007, 08:14 AM
The people who lived in our house before us had kids and the room i'm in has porcelain doll border going around the room. I find it creepy and I don't like a bunch of white dolls staring at me :unsure:

[/b]
:lol: why did that make me think of children of the corn :lol:

Poetic_Butterfly
10-29-2007, 01:41 PM
I like the idea of buying a comforter set in a bag. I want to redecorate the bedroom as well, because I love change in a room. :wub: I thought about the movie Dead Silence when you were talking about white porcelain dolls looking at you :lol:

Peace,
Rasta

Lovelocks
10-29-2007, 01:47 PM
I love the makeshift canopy idea and the some of lifeagift's ideas. I'll be stealing some of these for myself!

rastagalNJ
01-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Nameless1 where's the pic???

nevermind I found it....really lovely, you did a great job!!!