PDA

View Full Version : Almond Vs. Peppermint Dr. Bronners Shampoo

Rocker
09-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Im looking for a knew shampoo for my locs. I heard about Dr. Bronners shampoo a while back but I couldn't find it. Now that I've found it, I see they have at least two different kinds. The peppermint and the almond. So, what do you prefer or use and why?

KRE8TIV
09-27-2007, 01:28 PM
They have more than just two. Check out the website and view the whole line. :D
Dr. Bronner's Soaps (http://www.drbronner.com/main.html)

I've gotta order some more Peppermint myself!

EvesDilemma
09-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Im looking for a knew shampoo for my locs. I heard about Dr. Bronners shampoo a while back but I couldn't find it. Now that I've found it, I see they have at least two different kinds. The peppermint and the almond. So, what do you prefer or use and why?
[/b]
I've used both.

The Peppermint is a good clarifier-but depending on the texture of your hair I wouldn't recommend it for everyday use.

I loved the Almond, but started back on Jason's naturals just because it's a preference.

Whatever you do, make sure you dilute Dr. Bronner's when you use.

bratkiss
09-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Of the two I used the peppermint. Mmmmm, tingly. I love the lavendar too.

Siren
09-27-2007, 07:26 PM
i bought 5 bottles awhile ago because everyone talked about the product so much...

when I wash my hair i'm going to try it..

since im trying to loc my hair are these products too harsh for my hair? I dont want to wash my locs out.. if that makes sense

Sole_Rebel
09-28-2007, 11:43 PM
I cant say I like the peppermint. The smell sort of bothers me. Sadly thats the one I have right now, but Im considering getting a new bottle of Eucalyptus, that one rocks my world.

One Love

delleaux
09-30-2007, 08:29 AM
i bought 5 bottles awhile ago because everyone talked about the product so much...

when I wash my hair i'm going to try it..

since im trying to loc my hair are these products too harsh for my hair? I dont want to wash my locs out.. if that makes sense
[/b]

No, it is not harsh well at least not on my hair. When you start locks you want to use a shampoo that has no residue it cleans the hair pretty much.

MoBell195
09-30-2007, 09:28 AM
I actually use the peppermint undiluted in combo with regular Creme of Nature. It works extremely well for me!

jmclayb
09-30-2007, 06:19 PM
I have peppermint (love the tingle), almond (very mild) and tea tree (great for itchy scalp). I have been using these products since I locked-always dilute. I have been satisfied with how well they clean.

Bejewelle
10-01-2007, 02:09 PM
I like the almond. I have peppermint, lavender and tea tree also. I'm using the lavender to wash my smalls, the peppermint is okay, but not very fond of minty smelling locks. Surprisingly I quite like the tea tree considering I'm not crazy about tea tree oil. I can't imagine I'll like the eucalyptus, maybe I'll try it one day and see...

LBellatrix
10-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Back when I had locs (and even before that) I found the almond was gentler for my hair than the peppermint.

I would dilute the almond 4-to-1, whereas I usually diluted the peppermint about 6-to-1 and it would still be a little harsh.

PrincessDrRe
10-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Whatever you do, make sure you dilute Dr. Bronner's when you use.
[/b]

I would dilute the almond 4-to-1, whereas I usually diluted the peppermint about 6-to-1 and it would still be a little harsh.
[/b]
That's my formula!

Sometimes I also add a bit of Detol....Yes DETOL...to my wash.

My locs always look "brighter" with a Detol wash....

:unsure:

KRE8TIV
10-02-2007, 12:17 PM
My locs always look "brighter" with a Detol wash...[/b]

What's DETOL?

ava1
10-02-2007, 12:19 PM
That's my formula!

Sometimes I also add a bit of Detol....Yes DETOL...to my wash.

My locs always look "brighter" with a Detol wash....

:unsure:
[/b]

what's detol?

Rocker
10-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Yes! What is Detol?

chelsa
10-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Yes! What is Detol?
[/b]

Check these links
Dettol (http://www.amazon.com/DETTOL-First-Aid-Antiseptic-Liquid/dp/B000GCRX6G)

Dettol by wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dettol)

KRE8TIV
10-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Check these links
Dettol (http://www.amazon.com/DETTOL-First-Aid-Antiseptic-Liquid/dp/B000GCRX6G)

Dettol by wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dettol)
[/b]

Interesting...
I'm guessing this is for any itchies that a person may have???
Does it make the shampoo more 'tingly' PrincessDrRe?

leslielotuspetal
10-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Dettol is a really good antiseptic/ cleansing liquid. My family uses it a lot when in Jamaica and England. It's not really offered much in the States except for maybe in Indian and Carribean stores.
As for Dr. Bronner's Soaps, I loooooooooooooooooove the Peppermint. Such tingly goodness! The lavender is nice (my mom loves it), but think that I'll stick to the Peppermint. I never used the Almond, since I prefer the others. I would love to try the Eucalyptus; it's such a gorgeous smelling plant! :wub:

Schiffon
10-03-2007, 03:39 AM
I used to use the Almond on my loose napptural hair but my locs did not respond favorably to it. For the past couple of years I've been using the peppermint exclusively.

onyxspirals
10-03-2007, 06:40 PM
I've tried the almond, but it didn't seem to clean as well. Too much scrubbing. I lurve the peppermint!

jaythacarebear
10-04-2007, 01:40 PM
[/b]

By the suggestions of other posters, I started using the peppermint about a year ago and haven't used anything else since! I do make sure to dilute it first but I love the tingly feel and fresh minty smell. I use that along with Pantene Relaxed and Natural and my locs keep growing.

selah1017
10-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Dettol is a really good antiseptic/ cleansing liquid. My family uses it a lot when in Jamaica and England. It's not really offered much in the States except for maybe in Indian and Carribean stores.
As for Dr. Bronner's Soaps, I loooooooooooooooooove the Peppermint. Such tingly goodness! The lavender is nice (my mom loves it), but think that I'll stick to the Peppermint. I never used the Almond, since I prefer the others. I would love to try the Eucalyptus; it's such a gorgeous smelling plant! :wub:
[/b]

I second your response!! My family is from Guyana and we grew up on Dettol. Especially for women and personal hygiene cleansing. Nothing beats it!! Re: Dr. Bonner's, I also agree with comments. The peppermint gives you that tingly feeling (but don't let it get in your eyes). The only downside is that the peppermint is too drying on my skin. I generally use Eucalyptus because it gives almost as good of a antiseptic cleansing as the peppermint.

Godscreationnyc
10-14-2007, 05:44 PM
[size=2]

I've tried the almond, but it didn't seem to clean as well. Too much scrubbing. I lurve the peppermint!
[/b]
One love to all of the members of nappturality! All of you have been such a great inspiration to me! After cutting my hair three times this year, (from below the shoulders, them medium length, then cropped) I realized that I could not do the fire cream and the time I wasted in the salon. That time could have gone to my Lord and Savior and my family!
I did the BC on 09/30/07 and have been free and loving it.

I had a consultation to get sisterlocked. I told my consultant that I wanted to use Dr. Bronner`s shampoo. She told me it was to harsh. I went on the web site and purchased Dr. Bronner`s baby shampoo and some EO. I made my natural shampoo base ( that I found on this site ) and just added lavender, peppermint, etc. My scalp does not itch any more. The shampoos that we buy in the store contain alot of junk that I will not be putting into my hair or scalp. That goes for the sisterlock products too. Any way you come out cheaper and your head will love you for it!