PDA

View Full Version : Finding Birth Parents

lafeeka81
09-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Dh expressed today that after 26 ys he would like to find his birth mother and/or father. The only thing I can think of is hiring a private investigator , is this where to start? the adoption agency that placed him is no longer open and all he has are his parents health stats no name.
It was an open adoption, only if eitherwanted to contact each other in the future.

Is this the only place to start? and how much do investigators usually charge by the hour?

carboncopysue
10-01-2007, 08:17 AM
I don't know much about agencies because I had a private adoption. However, when I lost my driver’s license & social security card a few years ago, I got my social security printout. My birth parent’s names were on there (I already knew who they were anyway, but that would have been interesting if I didn’t!). This would probably only work if your dh’s social security number was originally registered until his birth parent’s names.

Do you know where the agency’s records were sent after it closed? Did they report anything to the county? Sometimes open adoption records are available at the county courthouse or website.

The way I found my birth mother was *ahem* interesting. I didn't use a PI, but I've known people in my life who were my personal PI’s (I already knew my birth mother’s full married name). I don’t want to divulge how I got it on the board, but if you can get a name, PM me and I can at least point you in the right direction.

Sue.

lafeeka81
10-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks we have a good start. We would like to at least get a name father or mother. I will try to check the courthouse records, I know he was adopted as an infant so I dont know exactly who applied for his ss#, but we will look to see where his records were sent. And as soon as I get a name I will PM you.'
Since we have a newborn he has expressed more of an interest in finding his birth parents, for the sake of our son.
Thanks again