PDA

View Full Version : Erykah Badu

hotcocogurl
03-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Erykah Badu has grown her afro beautifully in three years. She is one of my natural hair inspirations. Has anyone come across her haircare regime? I have not been able to find it. Here is a pic for ppl who have not seen it yet.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/owli...dubig030303.jpg (http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/owlive/img/mar03/badubig030303.jpg)

Debonaire
03-11-2004, 11:00 PM
I think that photo is of her wearing a wig. I'm not trying to doubt how logn her hair is because I've seen how long it was when she had dreds. But if I remember correctly she cut her hair (all off) not that long ago.

hotcocogurl
03-11-2004, 11:07 PM
I know she cut it in 2001. I saw a pic with a date. If this is a wig could someone comfirm it for me. I would be crushed though. I didnt think she would be the type to wear a wig though. She has this hair in EVERY pic I find so now I'm confused.

curlymrs
03-11-2004, 11:10 PM
I recently saw her in concert with The Roots in Los Angeles and she had microbraids down past her waist. I think she does utilize wigs, which I don't think is a big problem. JMHO

BlakReign
03-11-2004, 11:10 PM
Its a WIG. She wears a twa that is about in inch and a half underneath of it.

hotcocogurl
03-11-2004, 11:11 PM
I am seriously crushed. Oh well I will move on. Thank You ladies.

Saundus
03-11-2004, 11:13 PM
It's a wig. I saw some pics on other life topics forum of her and her son and it showed her with her twa. It's a sandy red color...i think. That is a wig, for sure.

ulovenae
03-11-2004, 11:23 PM
Just because its a wig doesn't mean your hair cant look like this.

FlyGemini
03-11-2004, 11:27 PM
It is a wig. Someone told me she took it off at the end of her concert late last year. Also, I just saw her accepting an award at one of the 10,000,000 awards shows that comes on and she had a really twa, but it looked like she was about to freeform some locs or something.

southerncurl
03-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Her dreds were fake, she is wearing a wig.
she has no more than 2 inches of hair.
when she first came out years ago she was wearing very long fake braids under all that fabric.
she thought that nobody would doubt that those dreds were hers because we had never seen her hair underneath those gigantic headwraps..she forgot that we are not stupid, there are a few early pictures of her in vibe mag, with a TWA..then suddenly long locks...come on now.

Ameka
03-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Chile this is a sho nuff wig. Ironically, this wig of hers is one of my hair inspirations!

LOCSOFAST
03-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Okay, i think her hair is doing a fine job, of running the Badu country,
it has decided that there will be no 'Common'-laws and everything can be solved by going to the diggy,diggy, DOC- y'all...

southerncurl
03-11-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Ameka@Mar 11 2004, 06:31 PM
Chile this is a sho nuff wig. Ironically, this wig of hers is one of my hair inspirations!
yeah this is how big I want my hair...but angela davis is more my idol than ms. badu.

MissLuna7
03-11-2004, 11:42 PM
I had read that she actually had dreadlock extensions to her locks, I didn't read that it was braided. But you're right, they were extensions, and when people gave her flack when they found out, she buzzed it all off. Now she's growing out the fro under the wig.

southerncurl
03-11-2004, 11:48 PM
during the time of her first album, when she ONLY wore headwraps..she had VERY long braid extensions..you can see them in her first video..under that headwrap..
then when she stopped wearing those absurd gigantic headwraps she rocked a baldy..then suddenly locs.

Applejacks
03-11-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by BlakReign@Mar 11 2004, 05:10 PM
Its a WIG. She wears a twa that is about in inch and a half underneath of it.
yep..it's a wig.. she pulled it off in a concert she had here in Dallas last November. Plus, I've seen her around town a couple of times and she's rockin' a TWA.

nuLuv
03-12-2004, 12:14 AM
It's a wig, she took it off last year at the Taste of Chicago.

just_QT
03-12-2004, 02:54 AM
Okay,

I checked my Mar/April 2001 (yes I archive) about her regimen with locs and they said that she used aloe vera gel on them, let them air dry and that she's a very spiritual person who believes that a good diet will reflect in one's hair. Everything else was said by the stylist, which was basically everything that has been said here as far as shampooing, palm rolling and oiling the scalp.

HuGrad2002
03-12-2004, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by southerncurl@Mar 11 2004, 06:28 PM
when she first came out years ago she was wearing very long fake braids under all that fabric.
she thought that nobody would doubt that those dreds were hers because we had never seen her hair underneath those gigantic headwraps..she forgot that we are not stupid, there are a few early pictures of her in vibe mag, with a TWA..then suddenly long locks...come on now.
wow this is all new to me..I thought her dreds were real

tdrmaquillage
03-12-2004, 03:13 AM
She is rarely seen in public appearances in her own hair (twa). When I saw her in concert at the beginning of February she was wearing superlong microbraid extensions.

EDIT: I am so tired I forgot the point of why I was writing. :lol Ankywhoo, in either the current issue of Organic Style or the one just before, there is an article on Erykah's "must have" products. That might give you some info.

- Tania :rainfro

southerncurl
03-12-2004, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by HuGrad2002+Mar 11 2004, 10:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HuGrad2002 @ Mar 11 2004, 10:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-southerncurl@Mar 11 2004, 06:28 PM
wow this is all new to me..I thought her dreds were real [/b][/quote]
no her dreds were fake..Wendy Williams called her out on that one to her face..she never denied it.
it&#39;s not a big deal...but i really think she thought she was gonna fool folks and nobody would realize thats not her hair..she cut them out after getting so much flak about it..i mean a wig is one thing but FAKE locs?!..that&#39;s just silly, what are you tryng to prove???

"HEY LOOK AT ME!! I can afford fake locs so I can LOOK spiritual and earthy without the commitment, this is great for my image!!!!$$$$$$

Jamilla
03-12-2004, 03:42 AM
When I first saw the title of the thread I immediately thought, E. Badu&#39;s regimen...uh weave/wig :lol .

She was on Chappelle Show last night and she had a totally different wig going on. It was quite apparent it wasn&#39;t hers. It had a looser curl, but it was weird. I like &#39;do in the pic. It&#39;s cute and looks like it could be hers.

Was it last year&#39;s NAACP awards where she actually wore her own hair? It was a TWA, but I was mad cuz it looked a hot azz mess. It looked like she committed cardinal sin #1 of Nappturality: going to bed without a bonnett, scarf, or other appropriate head covering :nohuh .

myhairandme
03-12-2004, 03:55 AM
I think Erykah has issues with her hair...I heard( :blah now this is from my sister&#39;s best friend who went to grambling with her in the early 90&#39;s) that she used to be EXTREMLY weaved up and school mates would even go so far as to call her Kiki Shepard. I heard it was weaved all down her back--silky straight!!!!!! I think when she became "Badu" she wanted to be natural but couldn&#39;t let go of the hair complex...completely. So maybe that&#39;s the reason for the fake dreds, wigs, etc. Maybe that&#39;s why she puts so much emphasis on hair.

blumoonbabe
03-12-2004, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by myhairandme@Mar 11 2004, 10:55 PM
I think Erykah has issues with her hair...I heard(now this is from my sister&#39;s best friend who went to grambling with her in the early 90&#39;s) that she used to be EXTREMLY weaved up and school mates would even go so far as to call her Kiki Shepard. I heard it was weaved all down her back--silky straight!!!!!! I think when she became "Badu" she wanted to be natural but couldn&#39;t let go of the hair complex...completely. So maybe that&#39;s the reason for the fake dreds, wigs, etc. Maybe that&#39;s why she puts so much emphasis on hair.
Well, she basically said this about herself on Wendy Williams&#39; radio show. She said to her that "both of us are insecure about our hair, look, you always wear weave, and I blah blah blah"

Of course, that&#39;s not verbatim but that&#39;s the gist of it.

Laluna
03-12-2004, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by southerncurl@Mar 11 2004, 05:28 PM

This is true, she was sporting a TWA on the cover of Essence or Vibe or was it Honey ;-) magazine some months ago. I love Erykah, she&#39;s doin&#39; her thang :thumbsup

myhairandme
03-12-2004, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by blumoonbabe+Mar 11 2004, 07:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (blumoonbabe @ Mar 11 2004, 07:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-myhairandme@Mar 11 2004, 10:55 PM
I think Erykah has issues with her hair...I heard(now this is from my sister&#39;s best friend who went to grambling with her in the early 90&#39;s) that she used to be EXTREMLY weaved up and school mates would even go so far as to call her Kiki Shepard. I heard it was weaved all down her back--silky straight!!!!!! I think when she became "Badu" she wanted to be natural but couldn&#39;t let go of the hair complex...completely. So maybe that&#39;s the reason for the fake dreds, wigs, etc. Maybe that&#39;s why she puts so much emphasis on hair.
Well, she basically said this about herself on Wendy Williams&#39; radio show. She said to her that "both of us are insecure about our hair, look, you always wear weave, and I blah blah blah"

Of course, that&#39;s not verbatim but that&#39;s the gist of it. [/b][/quote]
Well at least she acknowledges(sp) it. Sometimes, with all the hair stunts, her image seems a bit contrived.

blumoonbabe
03-12-2004, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by myhairandme+Mar 11 2004, 11:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (myhairandme @ Mar 11 2004, 11:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by blumoonbabe@Mar 11 2004, 07:58 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-myhairandme@Mar 11 2004, 10:55 PM
I think Erykah has issues with her hair...I heard(now this is from my sister&#39;s best friend who went to grambling with her in the early 90&#39;s) that she used to be EXTREMLY weaved up and school mates would even go so far as to call her Kiki Shepard. I heard it was weaved all down her back--silky straight!!!!!! I think when she became "Badu" she wanted to be natural but couldn&#39;t let go of the hair complex...completely. So maybe that&#39;s the reason for the fake dreds, wigs, etc. Maybe that&#39;s why she puts so much emphasis on hair.

Well at least she acknowledges(sp) it. Sometimes, with all the hair stunts, her image seems a bit contrived. [/b][/quote]
Whoooo, you&#39;re right... but this aint eeeeeeeeeeeeeeven the forum to go there :duck . She is definitely a big piece of work.

I still dig her as an musician though.

myhairandme
03-12-2004, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by blumoonbabe+Mar 11 2004, 08:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (blumoonbabe @ Mar 11 2004, 08:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by myhairandme@Mar 11 2004, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by blumoonbabe@Mar 11 2004, 07:58 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-myhairandme@Mar 11 2004, 10:55 PM
I think Erykah has issues with her hair...I heard(now this is from my sister&#39;s best friend who went to grambling with her in the early 90&#39;s) that she used to be EXTREMLY weaved up and school mates would even go so far as to call her Kiki Shepard. I heard it was weaved all down her back--silky straight!!!!!! I think when she became "Badu" she wanted to be natural but couldn&#39;t let go of the hair complex...completely. So maybe that&#39;s the reason for the fake dreds, wigs, etc. Maybe that&#39;s why she puts so much emphasis on hair.

Well at least she acknowledges(sp) it. Sometimes, with all the hair stunts, her image seems a bit contrived.
Whoooo, you&#39;re right... but this aint eeeeeeeeeeeeeeven the forum to go there :duck . She is definitely a big piece of work.

I still dig her as an musician though. [/b][/quote]
:lol Don&#39;t I know it...I&#39;m out!!! :tiptoe

josetth
03-12-2004, 06:56 AM
she a wigged out fool.

alright alright, she&#39;s still da bomb

Cami213
03-12-2004, 07:26 AM
I know this is :offtopic but maybe that&#39;s why Andre left her????

Nappilocs
03-12-2004, 12:43 PM
*BUMP*

candlow
03-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Maybe I am wrong, but the only time I have seen her real hair other than a twa was in the film "The Cider House Rules". It also starred Tobey MacGuire, Michael Caine and Delroy Lindo. Her hair was natural, but in two big fat plaits. Her hair looked brown, the same colour as her twa. I like her music there is nothing wrong with wigs,but I think she became to wrapped up in an image that wasn&#39;t really authentic even though she tried to make out she was natural woman. Sometimes I she comes across as taking herself too seriously in interviews.

free2bmenw
03-12-2004, 05:11 PM
I luv Erykah, whether she&#39;s wearing a wig, fake dreds, bald, whatever, her music is da bomb and she inspires the heck out of me so I hope she keeps on keeping on.....I just did the BC 2 weeks ago today and a few people have referenced our looks, that&#39;s one cool chica in my book and I&#39;m sticking to it!!! :)

LuvJones
03-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by LOCSOFAST@Mar 12 2004, 08:32 AM
Okay, i think her hair is doing a fine job, of running the Badu country,
it has decided that there will be no &#39;Common&#39;-laws and everything can be solved by going to the diggy,diggy, DOC- y&#39;all...
I caught that and you are just a smarty pants! :d) (box You know you are wrong for that but I&#39;m laughing my @ss off. Why you trying to get me fired? :fight :-)

LJ

dedicated
03-13-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Jamilla@Mar 11 2004, 10:42 PM
When I first saw the title of the thread I immediately thought, E. Badu&#39;s regimen...uh weave/wig :lol .

She was on Chappelle Show last night and she had a totally different wig going on. It was quite apparent it wasn&#39;t hers. It had a looser curl, but it was weird. I like &#39;do in the pic. It&#39;s cute and looks like it could be hers.

Was it last year&#39;s NAACP awards where she actually wore her own hair? It was a TWA, but I was mad cuz it looked a hot azz mess. It looked like she committed cardinal sin #1 of Nappturality: going to bed without a bonnett, scarf, or other appropriate head covering :nohuh .
I saw that, I thought the exact opposite. She was rocking a chunky twa that I thought looked fabulous. Oh well...

blumoonbabe
03-13-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Cami213@Mar 12 2004, 02:26 AM
I know this is :offtopic but maybe that&#39;s why Andre left her????
Andre left because he wanted some new booty.... he&#39;s been pretty forthcoming about that. However, word in the street is... he was dealing with another chick on the side while with E anyway.

Geminibrown78
03-13-2004, 03:11 PM
I think she looks better with her TWA. Especially in Heart and Soul Magazine

nottyfreedom
03-13-2004, 07:37 PM
erykah is the shyt whether she&#39;s bald or not. we all overcoming hair complexes. thats why we&#39;re here.

notty

uzuri
03-13-2004, 11:30 PM
It is a wig....No doubt about it...And quite a cute one too! I even think the "long braids" was a wig too....But I´m not complaining...At least she doesn´t go around with straight blond weaves and blue contact lences... :lol

BlakReign
03-13-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by uzuri@Mar 13 2004, 06:30 PM
...At least she doesn´t go around with straight blond weaves and blue contact lences... :lol
Like Diddy&#39;s mama who looked a hot azz mess on 106th and PARK! WRONG WRONG WRONG!

marissasensei
03-13-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Jamilla@Mar 11 2004, 07:42 PM
:lol. Thought the exact same thing: Ms. Badu lives under a harsh wig/weave regime, where any sign of naps is viewed as subversive. I&#39;m assuming the extent of her hair regimen is picking out whichever wig she wants to wear that day.