PDA

View Full Version : I Need Something Oil Free

Soulsista934
10-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Everything that I have tried with oil in it NEVER works. Pretty much every drugstore product I have tried doesnt work! Well, besides Worlds of Curls aND VO5. I cant order online so what can I do? I can make something!! That is what.

So I made some shealoe. It was this golden shea butter and some green aloe vera gel and you know what? It doesnt work! My hair is crunchy! I dont know what to do. All of the shea butter I had is in the shealoe.

Suggestions? :D

ajargon
10-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Awww I am so sorry about that! I won't be too much help to you. I would suggest that you might want to do a search under "no oil" and see what you come up with. You might find some with the no oil routine, link to their album and see what products they are using and what they are doing. Good luck to you :)

shulta
10-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Everything that I have tried with oil in it NEVER works. Pretty much every drugstore product I have tried doesnt work! Well, besides Worlds of Curls aND VO5. I cant order online so what can I do? I can make something!! That is what.

So I made some shealoe. It was this golden shea butter and some green aloe vera gel and you know what? It doesnt work! My hair is crunchy! I dont know what to do. All of the shea butter I had is in the shealoe.
Suggestions? :D
[/b]

You could try several things:
1. A simple water based spritz using mucilage (plant protein) rich herbs like Organic Marshmallow, Organic Blue Malva.

2. Either a Vege Glycerin spritz or a Lactic Acid spritz - measurements may need to be changed to suit your hair's needs.

Lactic Acid (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64325&hl=lactic+acid)

Lactic Acid and Photosensitivity (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=61372&hl=lactic+acid)

3. Yoghurt in your hair as a prewash condish:

Hair Mask Recipe:

Prep time required = 10 minutes

1. Take a small pot of all natural yoghurt
2. Add a quarter teaspoon of honey.
3. Add a couple of drops of your favourite hair loving essential oil
4. Put the mixture on your dry, clean hair
5. Cover with Cling Film
6. Leave on for 15 to 20 mins.
7. Rinse
8. Enjoy the softness

Not suitable for those with milk intolerance or Ovo-Lacto Vegetarians

4. Coconut Milk - The next time you go grocery shopping why not try and pick up some UHT Coconut Milk or a creamy coconut milk (from the carton not the can) and use that as your shampoo or final rinse?
It conditions as well as cleanses and will leave your locs & tresses with a healthy sheen.

These are just a few off the top of my naps..
HTH

Soulsista934
10-06-2007, 02:09 PM
I thought that veg glycerin only works when there is a certain amount of humidity in the air? I used to use a glycerin spray in the summer but now it doesnt worl because the humidity has gone down.

I was thinking about using flax with shealoe. But some organic aloe vera gel because the one I use just doesnt work.

shulta
10-07-2007, 12:46 AM
I thought that veg glycerin only works when there is a certain amount of humidity in the air? I used to use a glycerin spray in the summer but now it doesnt worl because the humidity has gone down.

I was thinking about using flax with shealoe. But some organic aloe vera gel because the one I use just doesnt work.
[/b]

This is when you *may* need to adjust the vege glycerin and water %'s in your spritz.
Not all vege spritzes are equal - for example: if there is not enough humidity in the air then add more water to your mix. Experiment and see what suits you.
You can also make a spritz from flaxseeds or fenugreek seeds (do a search and see what you find).

Try an Organic Chamomile mucilage spritz or an aloe spritz..
The choice is yours but do try and experiment.

HTH

afrobeauty77
10-07-2007, 11:33 AM
I love shea butter everywhere on my body except my hair. There was a nappy riot for days after using it in my hair. I understand what you are going through, I pretty much gave up on leaving any oil in my hair PERIOD. The only time I use oil is adding some to my deep treatments, hot oil treatments, or co-washes. Shulta is right, spritzes are your best friend as far as moisture is concerned. I may have to try some of her ideas. ^_^ I keep two spritzes, one with lots of glycerin and one with very little. I also moisturize with just conditioners and gels because I tried alot of stuff but if oil was high on the ingredient list my hair became really tangled, brittle, and dry. HTH

Soulsista934
10-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Alright! Spritzes! I dont really think the shea butter helped my hair either it was crunchy and greasy when I put that on my hair.

Where would one get those ingredients from?

Soulsista934
10-20-2007, 03:25 PM
How do I made the Organic Chamomile mucilage spritz?

I got some chamomile flowers and some marshmallow root last week and I tried making flaxseed gel but it didnt work

GalaxyGirl2012
10-20-2007, 05:26 PM
try from nature with love.

you can also try sea vegetables too like oat moss or sea moss. fnwl has those in powdered forms.

im another person who's hair hates oils and butters. ive discovered my hair only tolerates jojoba, castor, and vitamin e oils. and those i can only use a small small small amount

like afrobeauty i moisturize with spritzes and gels . right now my spritz is rose water, mixed with aloe and a drop of vitamin e oil. if i need more help in the winter i'll add some honey and some sea moss since i have lots of that. on days i dont spritz, i just use straight aloe vera. quite honestly i'm loving the fact that i can use the same thing on my hair and my face :D

and i will definitely try the yogurt hair mask

Ash2005
10-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Another nappy checking in to give a vote for gel and spritzes for moisture. I JUST found out this combo works for me so this week I've been spritzing with Oyin Juices & Berries (about 2/3 Oyin and 1/3 distilled water) and then adding some IC gel to my hair. The IC gel is working, but at the moment I'm awaiting the arrival of my Aubrey Organics Moisturizing Jelly. I've heard some good things about it so I'm hoping it provides the moisture that my hair desires.