PDA

View Full Version : Protective Syle Challenge Anyone?

monappy28
10-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Well I fell off of my protective styling over the week because I was lazy and sick and had no motivation. Well, today, I am back on track! I did my hair today in flat twists and finger coils and am hoping it will last all week! My flat twists aren't the best in the front, but they were my first try! So anyway, I'm still on for the kinky twists in two weeks!

afroknots11412
10-06-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm gonna start this next week. This week I brought some products and I have some old products. I'm gonna experiment. See what works and what doesn't. What works alone and what works together.

I bought Oyin and Karens. I have some old stuff I will finish tomorrow.

But for next week I will do some small twists all over because its time for a trim. Also I'm starting my "better total body, better health" regimen. Drinking more water, eating right, exercising and writing more.

After that I will be trying: finger coils, flat twist, braids, bantu knots, and some combos of all

Hpmomma
10-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Can I join if I am going to be using extensions? I am getting my hair braided up for the next several months... In the mean time I two strand twist and pin and go!! Love that look. I would love to join in the challenge.

monappy28
10-06-2007, 07:28 PM
^^^^you are more than welcome to join! A protective style is a protective style :D Good Luck!

gr2006
10-06-2007, 07:36 PM
monappy, is there a specific time frame for leaving a style in? see, i got these bitty twists and a historically bad track record of keeping things together for more than 7-9 days.........more like 7 :unsure:

i want to keep these in for at least 2 weeks but imma need some help doing it. HIF disease is a mess and i got it so bad.

count me in for 2 weeks please and i'll need a good ole slap every now and then to remind me.

this is gonna be haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard.

jaimuziq
10-06-2007, 08:54 PM
^^^ To my knowledge there isn't a specific time frame. I've been doing protective styles pretty much the entire year. I have my moments when I'll do a puff or a twistout but that's only for a day or two then I'll go back to my twists.

I plan on washing my twists tomorrow.

JeanBean
10-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Ok, so I would luv to join, can I? I would also like to get some braids put in, but my funds are a little low. So I'm just going to twist my hair after I wash it tomorrow.

UNIQUE_SOUL
10-06-2007, 10:12 PM
OK, I would really like to join the challenge. After 9mths of beautiful growth I decided I was going to trim my own hair (not in twists)..bad idea :( ..now my 9 inches of grow have gone down to 4-5inches. Im so mad at myself. I thinking I was trimming but I was really cutting 5mths of growth off. :doh I have twisted my hair because thats the only style that looks good right now *sigh*. I will probably get braids in a few weeks and stay far far away from the scissors. :bolt: I cant wait until my hair grows back! :wub: one more week of the twists here goes

gr2006
10-07-2007, 05:43 AM
^^^ To my knowledge there isn't a specific time frame. I've been doing protective styles pretty much the entire year. I have my moments when I'll do a puff or a twistout but that's only for a day or two then I'll go back to my twists.

I plan on washing my twists tomorrow.
[/b]

thanks for the explanation jaimuziq!

i put my twists to bed last night and they debulked nicely and look much better. i actually got the feeling i can leave my head alone for 2 weeks!

NewlyNappyNelle
10-07-2007, 05:50 AM
I have moist Ms. Celie braids in a showercap with a scarf on top. I may do my hair tomorrow... but if not, at least i'm not playing all up in it.

mj11051
10-07-2007, 06:01 AM
I'm joining in too , I'll do twist until I get my hair braided at the endof this month.

monappy28
10-07-2007, 06:04 AM
Everyone there is no time limit! You can re-do your hair as often as you like. The point is to not leave your hair loose, but to put in styles that will last you, ie....braids, twists, flat twists, cornrows, micro's, kinky twists, micro twists, bantu knots.......and so on and so forth! I know some people have that disease of taking styles down after only a few days and then redoing them! I let my styles last as long as they will stay! My hair is pretty short, so I average about a week. But when I get these kinky twists in.........I'm keepin them for at LEAST 6 weeks! :D

Welcome Everyone!

mwedzi
10-07-2007, 06:14 AM
Is the "protective style" challenge specs the same as the "no manipulation challenge" specs? Is the second a subset of the first?

monappy28
10-07-2007, 06:25 AM
I don't think so......no manipulation to me means no combing, brushing, or messing with the hair(besides I've never browsed that thread)I think with no manipulation, loose hair is okay. In the protective style challenge, we are trying to stay away from loose hair in order to limit breakage and stimulate growth. I do know that folks will wear their protective styles for so long and then rock a braid out or twist out or whatever for a little while(cause lawd knows we cherish that definition and are in no rush to wash it out! :rolleyes: ) Are you wanting to know if your braided roots wash n go is okay.........well I don't know. Part of me says yes and part of me says no.......challengers, what do you think???

The biggest part of me says who cares! You can join!

naturalisbeauty
10-07-2007, 06:45 AM
I have to say I am the wash and go queen but as the winter approaches ( I live in Boston) I know I will not be able to walk out with wet hair in the snow :unsure: so I will be giving the protective style a try. I've never done much to my hair to begin with other than wash and go and buns but I will try two strand twist. I am thinking about getting them professionally done. Now, my question is can I leave them in for 2 months or is that too long?

Also, any tips about them will be appreciate it.

gtkid17
10-07-2007, 08:05 AM
I've kinda been doing my own PSC for the past three weeks, but I don't like to call it that, cuz then I'll stop doing it! Anywho, I'm gonna 'join' with no promises of how long I'm gonna be able to keep this up. So far I've just been wearin two strands, this week I think I'm gonna flat twist the front and twist the back.

Urbanite
10-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Count me in, ladies. I've been pretty stressed due to some some changes in my life and it's taken a toll on my hair. I am going to put double strand twists in my hair tonight and leave them in for about 3 weeks and then do another style.

mwedzi
10-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Well, I'll watch you all from the sidelines and cheer. :Cool_049: (that was the closest I could find for a cheering smily) I kinda suck at cornrowing, which is what I imagine to be the ultimate protective styling. But I'll pretend I'm in when I have my hair in twists, which I do often and which were the first step in my braided roots thing anyway.

afrobeauty77
10-07-2007, 10:39 AM
After the fun and knots that came with wearing fros and puffs for a couple of weeks it is time for a PSC. I actually just finished twisting my hair last night. I want to keep my two strand twist in for a minimum two weeks, after that I will take them down detangle and do it all over again.

tinykias
10-07-2007, 06:45 PM
3 weeks and a day. That's the longest I've ever had a style in with my natural hair.

-tinykias

AyannaDivine
10-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Count me in too! October marks my 3rd month of transitioning and I'm currently wearing a wig with my natural hair in cornrows underneath. I think I'll continue wearing the wig until November 3rd, thats when I get my micros.

p.s.
my main goal is to rock protective styles until I B/C in 2008 :D

fixture
10-07-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm still holding on and it's a month since I put in this set of braided extensions. I shampooed and deep conditioned my braids last week and re-did the front sections of my hair.

SoSoul
10-07-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm in. I joined a protective style challenge a while ago. Like two months ago or something when i first found out i am pregnant. I said that i would continue it through the duration of my pregnancy. I have so far kept my hair in kinky twist for about two months. They look soo bad. lol. Like i have had them in for about 5 mos. it's only been two. lol. But i dont knw the time i'll have some money to get them done over again, or the energy to do mine. lol wish me luck.

I'v got 5 1/2 months left to go

monappy28
10-08-2007, 07:19 AM
So far so good! My style is holding up! I put it in on Saturday and it is still holding firm! I love this challenge! I am having great results, no breakage, and good growth! Anyone have any cute style's they've tried lately! Show us your cutest protective styles!

prettythug320
10-08-2007, 09:40 PM
I would love to join...How long is this challenge for?? Since I've bc'ed in March of this year I haven't given my hair a break yet and it's been telling me a break is wayyyy past due.What's the longest a style should be left in before you have major hair problems??( I believe I'm a Cnapp???) How often should I wash and DC??If any of you ladies have cute PC styles please share :)

NewlyNappyNelle
10-09-2007, 04:29 AM
I would love to join...How long is this challenge for?? Since I've bc'ed in March of this year I haven't given my hair a break yet and it's been telling me a break is wayyyy past due.What's the longest a style should be left in before you have major hair problems??( I believe I'm a Cnapp???) How often should I wash and DC??If any of you ladies have cute PC styles please share :)
[/b]

The answers to all of those questions are up to you. Everyone's hair is different, and respond to different methods of care in various ways. There's no set time frame for the challenge either. Stay in as long as you'd like! I may break for my birthday, and continue until I come back to the States from London (and the semester is over). I usually wear twists, and I think those are cute. I pin them up, curl 'em, etc.

I still have these big braids in. I'm going to showerap again, with a scarf and a hat on top. It's pouring out here and I have no where to go anyway.

Jazitones
10-09-2007, 04:56 AM
I will start mine this weekend...hopefully :blush:

naturalisbeauty
10-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Update:

I've decided to two strand twist myself :) :huh: they aren't that great (see my fotki) but practice makes perfect...lol. I pinned my twist up into a bun and take the bun down only to apply rosemary oil to my ends at night. I will do this for a week and then alternate to bantu knots for another week and keep doing that.

I plan on doing unti my birthday Feb 2008 :). I know I'll need patience but I am looking forward to trying.

gr2006
10-09-2007, 07:33 AM
day 4 and all's well and good in my world. i'm really feelin myself with this style........no fuss, no worries, just take off my satin scarf, spritz and go on about my biz!!

the smaller twists seem to really make a difference, i'm just hoping i don't have a big ole problem taking them down :lol:

ms_aunatural
10-09-2007, 09:52 AM
i'm really feelin myself with this style........no fuss, no worries, just take off my satin scarf, spritz and go on about my biz!!
[/b]
Same here. Today marks the official week 2 of My First Set of Box Braids... I'm actually quite mad at myself that I never got up the nerve to try these EARLIER. I could have had BSL hair by now!! :Angry: My hair is getting a little fuzzy but not hard core. I'm going to wash and DC tonight and see what happens. I hope it doesn't mess up my flow. lol

ETA: I am hoping to keep these in for 6 weeks and I will be getting a new set once I take these down and wash and DC. At that time, I will also be trying the wash my hair in sections while in large braids/twists technique I been reading that so many nappturals do. I will be keeping PC styles in until April (6 mos.)

tinykias
10-11-2007, 06:42 AM
Hi Ladies,
Saturday will be 4 weeks I've had my twists in. I can't believe I made it this far. How are you ladies doing? Also, I've been working on mixing my own moisturizer because I'm tired of buying store stuff that doesn't work. But I still love my shealoe but it makes my hair hard so I want to make something more moisturizing that has the aloe and shea butter but with some oils. So far, I've made a pudding like concoction with coconut oil and palm oil. Do any of you ladies know if any of this makes your scalp it or irritated? Just want to know so I don't mix too much.

-tinykias

Ms-gg
10-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Im thinking about totally committing for the late october-march months. The only time I won't be twisted/braided up will be for an occasional braidout here and there only to last for 3 days

I don't know if I can fully commit but I know I NEED to.

PHATDOO
10-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Well, I am not sure if this will be a challenge for me because 95% of the time, I'm wearing a PS. My challenge will be to keep a style in more than a week at a time.

I hope that is OK with everyone doing the PSC.

Phatdoo

naturalisbeauty
10-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Update:

I've never really had my hair up for this long. On sunday I plan to wash my hair. Call me crazy but this is exciting to me...lol I'm going to mess around and rock my wash and go less and less lol. I will be taking a pic of my fussy twist and posting them up and then on to the bantu knots :P

tuzor
10-11-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm in. I am going to twist or braid until December.

shamarie
10-11-2007, 11:21 AM
i am so happy it has been 2 weeks today that i kept my twists in, the longest i have ever gone, i usually cant keep them in for more than 2 days, but the reason for that is my twists are really small and i like them that way on my 5 inch hair . finally a style that i like,im going to wash and condition either today or 2morrw, i need a protein treatment also, do anyone know the best way to detangle , thank you psc

monappy28
10-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Well, I am not sure if this will be a challenge for me because 95% of the time, I'm wearing a PS. My challenge will be to keep a style in more than a week at a time.

I hope that is OK with everyone doing the PSC.

Phatdoo
[/b]

PHATDOO, that is perfectly fine with me. All the others who have recently joined.....Welcome :D

NappiRouts
10-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Count me in, I'mma try and put in some twists tonight, unles I fall asleep.

BrnNappyGrl
10-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Count me in as well. My goal is to wear a set of twists for 2 week intervals until at least late April or early May. I am really gonna be hard pressed not to do my hair since I am used to doing my twists at least once a week, but I am determined to hold true to this one!

Ya'll pray for me :blush:

NewlyNappyNelle
10-12-2007, 03:51 AM
I'm twisting up now... I'll be updating my fotki later. This PSC is getting easier and easier.

Kat Nappydeen
10-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Hi Ladies,
Saturday will be 4 weeks I've had my twists in.

[/b]

This weekend would be 4 weeks for me, but I took my twists out at the 3.5 week mark. It's a good thing I did, because my hair was so tangled within the twists themselves. I guess that's what I get for washing, as I had planned not to. I was going for 40 days, but I think 4 weeks is my absolute limit. I've only made it past four weeks with twists twice.

I now put individual plaits in---planning to keep them until early November, which will make 3.5 weeks.
----

I'm putting up a few pics in my album if anyone cares. I'll be back to link it in my sig. Hopefully I'll keep up with it this time.

I'm twisting up now... I'll be updating my fotki later. This PSC is getting easier and easier.
[/b]

Yes. I did it last year, redoing twists monthly, for about 6-7 months. After a while, 4 weeks didn't seem so long.

gr2006
10-13-2007, 04:51 AM
how's it going PSC sistah's?!

here it is an entire week since i put these twists in and i couldn't take it no mo'! i needed to at least rinse my head off in the shower. it usually spells doom for any style and i'll only be able to get another couple days out of it before i catch a case of the eeeeeeewl's.

so i put some dr. bonner's in a spray bottle, added some water and a little oil and got busy and washed my scalp really good before stepping into the shower, then i got in and rinsed well then poured a baking soda/water mix over my head and rinsed with that out. then grabbed a bottle of conditioner and saturated my hair with that and rinsed one more time. i guess the entire episode lasted about 5-7 minutes.

got out the shower and am now waiting to see what happens - if it looks :huh: then i'll retwist, if it looks :D then i'll just roll with it for another week (i hope!) :lol:

<insert jeopardy music here>

missCONGENIALity
10-13-2007, 05:36 AM
I am still wearing twist. I must say that so far I have been re-twisting every week. I am going to try and stretch it for two weeks this time. I am getting better at twisting justin time for winter. I am glad to say that my edges are growing back nicely.

monappy28
10-13-2007, 12:36 PM
I have 2 strand twists in my hair right now that I put in early this morning while at work :blush: I will wear these until Tuesday night, maybe Wedneday morning, wear my twist out and then Thursday, My hair will be in Kinky Twists Baby!!! That&#39;s right, Thursday is the day and I will have to worry no more about my hair for like 6 weeks. I know I will miss it though and using my products :( Oh well, I&#39;ll get over it I&#39;m sure :P

lacuna
10-13-2007, 02:40 PM
I&#39;m going to join this PSC now that I&#39;ve put cornrows, and box braids in my hair (looks 10X better than it sounds, trust me! Thanks again for the inspiration, PHATDOO. :D ). I&#39;m going to try for 4 weeks with this style, at least..Today is my first day, and I&#39;m lovin&#39; it, although I&#39;ll miss my nightly co-wash.

tinykias
10-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi Ladies,
Today is 4 weeks! I&#39;ve never kept a style in that long before ever. So, sometime this weekend I will take them down and wear a twist-out after I wash them and put some type of light holding gel on them. Although, I don&#39;t know if I will need it to wear a twist-out for an entire week. Then, detangle and do an Aphogee treatment next Saturday and do some comb coils or twists again but smaller.

-tinykias

tuzor
10-13-2007, 04:16 PM
I am hanging in there. Last night I put cocont oil on my scalp I am going to go for three weeks with these twist. My twistouts always seem better the longer I keep my twist in.

kmosi
10-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Im in. This is just the kick in the pants that i need to do protective syles. I think I will put twist in tonite.

afroknots11412
10-13-2007, 08:09 PM
doing my hair tomorrow to begin the challenge. i&#39;m sick of buns (even though they are easy).

I&#39;m giving my hair the works. then I will inspect for split ends and trim. flat twists in the front and two strand twists in the back. can&#39;t wait I need a break from thinking about how to style hair.

next week I will try the 3 strand twist

Naptural_Niyoka
10-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Okay I&#39;m in... I said I wanted to try to keep these twist in my hair for aleast 2 wks but its so hard to keep my hands out of my hair. I&#39;m going to try! :blush:

paulkj
10-14-2007, 12:03 AM
I&#39;m in also. I put in twists this morning and will keep them if for at least a month. Last time I had twists that were braided at the roots, my hair lasted for 4 weeks with washing weekly. So I duplicated the style. I will continue the psc until Christmas or the beginning of the year.

NewlyNappyNelle
10-14-2007, 03:54 AM
I finally retwisted my hair on Friday. Going for maybe 2 weeks with touchups to the flat twists (I&#39;m rally bad at them so they look old as soon as I finish) and the twists in front.

2nappy
10-14-2007, 04:36 AM
just got my kinky twist done yesterday. count me in!!!!

forgot to tell everyone, i put my kinky twist in with extensions. i&#39;m trying to grow out my "napp-hawk" without cutting it all even, so i got kinky twist put in unitl the sides grow out. didn&#39;t want to mislead anyone.

honeybunch2k5
10-14-2007, 05:42 AM
Uhh, I think I joined a few threads ago. lol

I still have my braids in though the need to be redone. I think I will keep my braids in until summer.

tinykias
10-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Alright ladies. Today I am going to take the twists down partly and wear a twist-out for this week. Then, do an aphogee treatment and then twist or do some comb coils.

-tinykias

monappy28
10-14-2007, 10:20 AM
just got my kinky twist done yesterday. count me in!!!!

forgot to tell everyone, i put my kinky twist in with extensions. i&#39;m trying to grow out my "napp-hawk" without cutting it all even, so i got kinky twist put in unitl the sides grow out. didn&#39;t want to mislead anyone.
[/b]

I&#39;ll be right there witcha on Thursday! Holla!

MzBNS2010
10-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Count me in on this PSC! I just got some senegalese twists yesterday that i plan on keeping in for 8 weeks. plz wish me luck b/c i tend to miss my hair when it&#39;s locked away like this :( but i can do it! :D

afroknots11412
10-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Okay so I experimented, messed up, redid blah blah. I must have some strong hair ya&#39;ll, because I did mad things to my hair, trying to play ms. mixtress. all I can say is after the whole fiasco my hair was drier than the sahara. thanks to aubrey organics (miracle worker) and oyin (life saver products) I was able to get back the moisture I so deperately needed. yeah thats my rant

anyways...

I am ready to join yall. after taking my time I did some fabulous flat twists in the front and 2 stand twists in the front. I will try to keep these in for 2 weeks. I&#39;m in school and its midterm time so I really don&#39;t have the time to be messing.

after these babies I have decided I will do the 3 strand twists

luv yall

p.s I have learned my lesson sometimes less is better (in terms of products)

ledavis1
10-15-2007, 08:22 AM
I&#39;m in! I was supposed to begin like a month ago but, I was being lazy :blush: . Yesterday, I had my sister put some box braids in for me. My plan is to redo them every week after I wash, deep condition, and detangle my hair. I might switch to two strand twists every now and then to change it up but, we&#39;ll see. Wish me luck! :D

ms_aunatural
10-15-2007, 08:25 AM
Still hangin in there. Three weeks tomorrow of the First Set of Box Braids. :D I am missing my hair, but I am not missing my hair. Every time I move my head and I feel my braids move it makes me remember WHY I am doing this.

Maaaan, my chunky fro is gonna be fly as hell this SUMMAH! Yeyah!

Lydmidd
10-15-2007, 08:31 AM
I&#39;m in, although I&#39;m way behind many of you! I just washed and twisted on friday and hope to leave these twists in for as long as I can...I think I now have a style that holds up...full head of twists, then make two large cornrows of twists (I call em twistrows). We&#39;ll see how long I keep em up what with my hand-in-fro disease...

Ipanema
10-15-2007, 10:15 AM
I&#39;m joining! I just did the whole works on my hair--washed, conditioned, trimmed, moisturized, and braided. Now I want to keep these box braids in until Nov 3rd.

Naptural_Niyoka
10-15-2007, 10:25 AM
So I washed my twist this morning. Lord knows my scalp was crying for some water and a nice scrubbing. I was thinking the worst because well my with texture the style doesn&#39;t hold when my hair is moist but it fooled me this time around because it&#39;s still hanging on. I have to retwist half of the twist but thats not bad compared to what I was actually thinking... So I&#39;m still going strong with my twist. I&#39;m about to upload some picture&#39;s of my wet twist. I&#39;m happy! :D

tinykias
10-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Hi Ladies,
I&#39;ve started to untwist the many many small twists I have currently had in for a week and 2 days. I plan to slowly untwist and not manipulate the hair until Saturday. On Saturday, after volunteering, I will detangle and do an aphogee treatment. Then, maybe sunday do some more smaller twists or comb coils. Anyone ever keep comb coils in for a long period of time?

-tinykias

gr2006
10-15-2007, 11:56 AM
i couldn&#39;t make it - i feel like a failure. something told me after i washed it would mean the beginning of the end and i did it anyway :rolleyes: . the twist ends got hard and i found 2 nappyballs on the ends of the twists in the back. :huh:

took &#39;em out and have an untouched twist out fro thing going on that i don&#39;t feel like detangling atm but will in a day or two for the next set of twists.

tinykias
10-15-2007, 02:08 PM
i couldn&#39;t make it - i feel like a failure. something told me after i washed it would mean the beginning of the end and i did it anyway :rolleyes: . the twist ends got hard and i found 2 nappyballs on the ends of the twists in the back. :huh:

took &#39;em out and have an untouched twist out fro thing going on that i don&#39;t feel like detangling atm but will in a day or two for the next set of twists.
[/b]

@ Bold:I get those too after wearing my hair in one style for too long. However, I a lazy about tying my hair up at night so I attributed that to my bad sleeping and hair being out. Oh and they are all over my boyfriend&#39;s floor. lol. Hmmm maybe I should vacuum soon.

-tinykias

monappy28
10-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Okay ladies, I need some help. I will be getting my hair kinky twisted in 3 days as you all know, and I am getting hair added. I want to know if anyone who has had these can tell me how to wash them. I plan on washing them like every 2 weeks but I&#39;m scared they will get really frizzy at the roots and look old. Do i wash them just like I would wash my hair? can I condition with these in? I don&#39;t know what to do. Please help me figure out how to keep my hair clean while it&#39;s twisted. I feel if I can keep them clean and neat, i will keep them longer. My goal is for 2 months, but I&#39;m saying 6 weeks cause that&#39;s probably all I&#39;ll be able to last!

bigmoney247
10-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Hi all,

I am just checking in. I am at the beginning of week 4 of the PSC. I still have these microbraids in that I got done on September 22. And, I am so ready to take them out...

My scalp has been super itchy. I have been spraying with olive oil and water so that does help....

On to week four...

ledavis1
10-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Okay ladies, I need some help. I will be getting my hair kinky twisted in 3 days as you all know, and I am getting hair added. I want to know if anyone who has had these can tell me how to wash them. I plan on washing them like every 2 weeks but I&#39;m scared they will get really frizzy at the roots and look old. Do i wash them just like I would wash my hair? can I condition with these in? I don&#39;t know what to do. Please help me figure out how to keep my hair clean while it&#39;s twisted. I feel if I can keep them clean and neat, i will keep them longer. My goal is for 2 months, but I&#39;m saying 6 weeks cause that&#39;s probably all I&#39;ll be able to last!
[/b]

I had micros 3 times and I think that taking care of kinky twists would be similar. I washed mine every week and I didn&#39;t have any problems with them being frizzy. I took some shampoo and diluted with water in a spray bottle. I sprayed the diluted shampoo on my scalp and massaged it in. I started in the back and worked my way towards the front making sure I got between all the braids. I rinsed and repeated. I didn&#39;t condition with them in but, I made sure that I kept them very moisturized (spritzed with Greg Juice and followed with Whipped Pudding). HTH

Count me in on this PSC! I just got some senegalese twists yesterday that i plan on keeping in for 8 weeks. plz wish me luck b/c i tend to miss my hair when it&#39;s locked away like this :( but i can do it! :D
[/b]

I looked at your fotki and your twists look very nice. I got micros when I was transitioning but, maybe I&#39;ll try these. Are they about the same size as micros or slightly larger?

Naptural_Niyoka
10-16-2007, 01:24 PM
I failed. After washing my hair yesterday it made my hair slowly but surely come part. I was going to twist it but I had so much to do today and just said "forget it" I am however going to try to do them again tonight after a better washing and conditioning it&#39;s very much so needed after helping my husband with the car. Sheesh <_<

MzBNS2010
10-16-2007, 06:22 PM
I had micros 3 times and I think that taking care of kinky twists would be similar. I washed mine every week and I didn&#39;t have any problems with them being frizzy. I took some shampoo and diluted with water in a spray bottle. I sprayed the diluted shampoo on my scalp and massaged it in. I started in the back and worked my way towards the front making sure I got between all the braids. I rinsed and repeated. I didn&#39;t condition with them in but, I made sure that I kept them very moisturized (spritzed with Greg Juice and followed with Whipped Pudding). HTH

B)--><div class=&#39;quotetop&#39;>QUOTE(Mz. B @ Oct 14 2007, 01:40 PM) 1784003<div class=&#39;quotemain&#39;>

I looked at your fotki and your twists look very nice. I got micros when I was transitioning but, maybe I&#39;ll try these. Are they about the same size as micros or slightly larger?
[/b][/quote]

i think they may be close to the same size. how long did u keep ur micros in while u were transitioning and washing them every week?

SoSoul
10-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Hey ladies just checking in. this past weekend i took my kinky twist out after about 2 1/2 months. LOTS of GROWTH, LOTS of product BUILD UP. So it was deffinately time for them to come down. I washed it really good, and put a deep conditioner in it. The conditioner that i used was a Henna n&#39; Placenta mix. It sounds really interesting , I know, but i did i REALLY good job of moisturing. Then i put some flat twist in. They are soooo cute! I&#39;ll Take a pic and post them

tinykias
10-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Hi Ladies,
Saturday will be 5 weeks. I&#39;m slowly taking the twist out though but still not doing any manipulation. I have half a head to go before I give my hair some TLC this weekend.

-tinykias

missCONGENIALity
10-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Okay, what is everyone doing about moisture. My hair is really dry. I don&#39;t want to wash it everyday because it gets frizzy. But oil in my hair is causing me to leave oil spots everywhere.

ms_aunatural
10-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Okay, what is everyone doing about moisture.
[/b]
I spritz my hair almost every morning and rub in either Carol&#39;s Daughter Healthy Hair Butter or Hair Milk OR Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil moisturizer. I also rub a little oil on my edges and endsevery couple days.

afroknots11412
10-17-2007, 07:00 PM
for moisture I have been using karens hair cream and my own mix of shealoe in the morning. at night I use just oyin honeyhemp and I have been baggying the ends. the baggy thing has been workineg (i was surprised)

ms_aunatural
10-17-2007, 10:23 PM
I have been baggying the ends. the baggy thing has been workineg (i was surprised)
[/b]
:huh: what does this mean, please?

NewlyNappyNelle
10-18-2007, 03:17 AM
:huh: what does this mean, please?
[/b]

Using a plastic baggie (or showercap, or whatever you want) to cover (all or a portion of) moisturized hair. The plastic locks in the moisture with the help of your body heat.

naturalisbeauty
10-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Update:

I dislike what I did with my hair for this week. Second week of the challenge by the way. I did a pony and two strand twist the lose ends. I don&#39;t like how my hair looks :( and I don&#39;t know if I will be doing this again. I might do the bun, I said I was going to do bantu twist but I had to work sunday and I didn&#39;t have time <_< .

Again:

- I pick a style and leave it in for the week.

- Saturday night I put in wild hair growth and put on baggy

- Wash hair on sunday with Suave naturals coconut shampoo and Silicone conditioner, style as desired, and start over for the week ^_^

Natrlchallenge
10-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Yay! I can join now that I learned how to 2 strand twist my hair! :wub: I will only get better the more I twist! My hair responded well when I had cornrows. I just have to get the twist style the way I want. I want to test my hair to see if I can rinse my twists and keep them. If i do that, I can see how often I have to redo my hair. :)

monappy28
10-18-2007, 07:10 PM
And it&#39;s on! When I got off work today, I clarified my hair then deep conditioned with my Mills Creek Jojoba conditioner. I rinsed, towel dried and added some Qhemet Olive cream conditioner, then left for my appointment. Today starts the two month countdown of me keeping in these kinky twists! I will update you all from time to time to let you know how I am feeling and for you all to talk me through taking them down too soon. I think I&#39;ll only make 6 weeks, but I&#39;m hoping I can hold on for 8 weeks. Yall better pray for me!

LadyLibra
10-18-2007, 07:50 PM
i&#39;ll be on the protective style wagon for the fall, right after Halloween. :D i&#39;ll be rotating braid/twist extensions and cornrows until springtime... wish me luck and God grant me strength cuz y&#39;all know i love my hair out and loose... :unsure:

cmesweet
10-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Well I put in 2-strand twists this week, I&#39;ll rock them for another week and then redo them over next weekend.

that1girl
10-19-2007, 02:48 AM
I want to join in :blush:
but i will miss my twist outs
i&#39;m also in like every challenge, so have a long list of things to remember to do

natural06
10-19-2007, 03:37 AM
I have to say I am the wash and go queen but as the winter approaches ( I live in Boston) I know I will not be able to walk out with wet hair in the snow :unsure: so I will be giving the protective style a try. I&#39;ve never done much to my hair to begin with other than wash and go and buns but I will try two strand twist. I am thinking about getting them professionally done. Now, my question is can I leave them in for 2 months or is that too long?
[/b]
Your hair is beautiful.

missCONGENIALity
10-19-2007, 07:08 AM
Thanks ladies for the hair moisture tips. I have to retwist my hair this weekend. My hair is looking like it is locking. I am debating whether to just do twist by twist or just take it all out and detangle.

naturalisbeauty
10-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Your hair is beautiful.
[/b]

awww thanks. Hurry up and get a fotki so I can see your beautiful hair too! ^_^

tuzor
10-19-2007, 10:02 AM
I am still hanging in there. Tonight I think I am going to shampoo my hair. I am not going to retwist though, just keep the same twist in.

Ms-gg
10-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Im officially in my own personal rules:

last until March 23rd or so
Twists or whatever in style lasts 2 or more weeks per style
only out style will be the resulting twist or braid out or any braidout or twistout done post protective style will only be worn for a maximum of 7 days.
Shampoo or clarify once a month conditioner wash once a week or as needed
No shrunken anythings, no puffs to be worn more than 3 days at a time.
Current style is in my avatar.

tinykias
10-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Tonight&#39;s the night I take out the rest of the twists. So, far the longest style I&#39;ve ever worn. Yay! However I think next time I&#39;ll just wear them for 4 weeks.

Here they were...
http://hotimg5.fotki.com/b/128_227/194_254/twistspicresized-vi.jpg[/URL]
-tinykias

2nappy
10-20-2007, 10:32 AM
[/b]

hey girl,
my kinky twist are about 2 weeks old. i have had them before and i have kept them in for about 2 months. i never washed my twists, instead i used this product that cleans the scalp (a mixture of sea breeze and olive oil). i put a little on a wash cloth and genlty rub my scalp. the tingling feels wornderful. after that i rub some healthy hair butter (carols daughter) and some tui&#39;s hair oil (carols daughter) on my scalp and massage it through my twist. this works for me, and this is the regimen that i will use now. i hope this helps

queenwildcoilz
10-20-2007, 10:12 PM
I am a little late but count me in too. Gonna try to keep my hair in braids
for the fall and winter months.

tinykias
10-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Hi Ladies,
I finally finished taking the twists out my b/f wants to take pictures of my gigantic puff so I haven&#39;t been able to give my hair some tlc. When he&#39;s done though I will it surely needs it and then I guess back into twists. However, I&#39;m thinking about doing larger twists. I hope I can keep this going until Christmas or January. My goal is to have boob length hair by January.

-tinykias

Ipanema
10-21-2007, 10:59 AM
It&#39;s only been a week, and I&#39;m getting the urge to wear loose hair. I think for the upcoming holidays, I&#39;ll wear a braid-out, but only for one day each.

ledavis1
10-21-2007, 12:41 PM
I took out last week&#39;s box braids a little early because it got warm again and I couldn&#39;t resist the urge to do a wash and go :blush: . Now I have cornrows in the front and box braids in the back, which I have pulled up in a ponytail. It&#39;s really cute and I may have to make it my signature style fot the winter. Hopefully, I can get 2 weeks out of it.

monappy28
10-21-2007, 01:39 PM
I just greased my scalp with some Burnt Sugar Pomade and spritz with Juice&#39;s and Berries! My head feels so good right now! It has felt good not having to worry about my hair and not dreading having to take the time to style it. Sunday is usually the day I do my hair and it felt so weird to be able to just chill without having my fingers and elbows cramping from digging up in my head all day! i could definitely get used to this :blush: I know in a few weeks I&#39;m going to miss my naps though ^_^

missCONGENIALity
10-21-2007, 05:06 PM
I finally finished doing my twist. I hope these last.

guapa1
10-21-2007, 05:54 PM
I&#39;m in. I spent too long on these to take them out anytime soon. I&#39;m thinking until Christmas.

http://images15.fotki.com/v269/photos/3/370857/5280197/21102007139-vi.jpg

JustKre
10-21-2007, 06:28 PM
I keep falling off this ... but I&#39;m in ... again ... :lol: . I just washed Saturday from having twists in 2 weeks and then a twistout for a week ... that&#39;s the longest I&#39;ve gone ... now I have it back in a small puff ... I&#39;ll rewash and twist and try this routine again ... or maybe box braids ... I&#39;ve been meaning to try those ...

SoSoul
10-21-2007, 10:29 PM
This weekend i took down my two strand twist and searched and searched for someone to braid my hair in an up do for me. But no one could. I did it myself! lol. i did a pretty good job too. I was worried about the back since and cant see it and wondered how i was gonna braid UP the back of my hair. But i did it. lol. i REALLY like it. Now i dont have to pester any one eles to do it for me. lol. This is one of my favorite hair styles.

gr2006
10-22-2007, 05:12 AM
after wearing that twist out for a few days, i did a lite poo and conditioner then twisted it up in biggies and wore that for a few days.

took that out this weekend and brushed out it out (naw, no snap and crackles LOL) - i can&#39;t get over how thick it is compared to my "old" hair, just amazing. i&#39;m getting some good steady growth too!!

here&#39;s the result - protective styling works yall!!!:

http://aycu20.webshots.com/image/31979/2004813054026809103_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2004813054026809103)

i went ahead and put it in 2 big cornrows and i think i&#39;ll keep this in for a few days then figure out what&#39;s next.

AngelDoll
10-22-2007, 05:19 AM
after wearing that twist out for a few days, i did a lite poo and conditioner then twisted it up in biggies and wore that for a few days.

took that out this weekend and brushed out it out (naw, no snap and crackles LOL) - i can&#39;t get over how thick it is compared to my "old" hair, just amazing. i&#39;m getting some good steady growth too!!

here&#39;s the result - protective styling works yall!!!:

http://aycu20.webshots.com/image/31979/2004813054026809103_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2004813054026809103)

i went ahead and put it in 2 big cornrows and i think i&#39;ll keep this in for a few days then figure out what&#39;s next.
[/b]

WOW!!!! :excl: That&#39;s some amazing hair.

bigmoney247
10-22-2007, 06:16 AM
Okay, so this is officially 4 weeks with these microbraids...the beginning of the 5th week...

honeybunch2k5
10-22-2007, 06:20 AM
I challenge myself to keep the braids until December, then put my hair right back in braids...

gr2006
10-24-2007, 10:03 AM
okies, had big twists in for a few days, washed and conditioned overnight and my hair felt so moisturized i thought i&#39;d sneak in a little puff action on a nice rainy day. it felt THAT good!

what was i thinkin??! hair wasn&#39; t havin&#39; it a.t. a.l.l. it had to be an omen to go back to the twists so had to rewet my hair (think shower) to soften it up, re-detangle and put in some nice safe twists.

think i we&#39;ll just stick with this for a few days.......it&#39;s less stressful :lol: :lol:

paulkj
10-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Hair still up in the twists I did almost 2 weeks ago. Trying to keep them up for at least 4. So far so good

tinykias
10-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Hi Ladies,
We&#39;ll I got the twists down but can&#39;t figure out and partly I don&#39;t have the time to do something to do to my hair. It&#39;s currently banded every night and pulled back with a headband and the end of my hair is held put by a pony tail holder. (if that makes sense, it&#39;s not a normal ponytail.)

-tinykias

monappy28
10-24-2007, 03:58 PM
gr2006, your hair is crazy in that pic :lol: :lol: I :wub: it!

Just checkin into say hey and see how everyone is doing. Looks like everyone is doing just fine! It has officially been 1 week with my twists and i miss my hair already. However, I do not see myself taking these kinky twists down in the near future ^_^

Kat Nappydeen
10-24-2007, 09:30 PM
My braids are nearly a week and a half old. The plan was to keep them for 3 weeks but they are looking pretty bad. I think I&#39;m going to take them out tomorrow, though and redo Saturday night.

amourbliss
10-25-2007, 08:01 AM
I hope it&#39;s ok that I join this challenge with all of you. I&#39;ve really noiced a difference in my hair since I&#39;ve been twisting my hair more and I love. I just took out some two strand twists on...Tuesday and I wore a twist out yesterday, but today I plan on washing it (to clense my hair and scalp) and applying my henna tonight...washing it out and conditioning tomorrow and put another set of twists in. I may attemp to do the ones with the braided root but I haven&#39;t decided yet!! (As of yet I haven&#39;t kept my 2 strands in for 14 days...like 11 or so, but this time I hope to make it past 2 weeks!!!)

that1girl
10-25-2007, 08:55 AM
:P update. Im waiting for my hair to dry. I just DC and detangled. Now i want to dye my hair. It didnt show up to well the first time so i&#39;m going to see if i get more color this time.

then twist at night and twist outs during the day

nappypsychgirl
10-25-2007, 09:11 AM
I&#39;m in. I actually was planning to keep two stranded twists in until X-mas, just to see if it will help with length. I also plan to do tea tree massges daily. I feel tingly after :D , and I think it will help my hair. I keep them in for about 2 weeks, or until they unravel and/or I run out of gel.
The twists are becoming a trademark as is anyhow, and it&#39;s how I actually was on the road to long hair (until that borderline hairdresser from hell butchered me).

NewlyNappyNelle
10-25-2007, 09:24 AM
so It&#39;s almost been a week with these braids and I like them. They wash and condition well, and my ends are protected (usually). I just worry about the take down... :unsure:

Ipanema
10-25-2007, 01:14 PM
I had to take my hair loose. I&#39;ve washed & cornrowed it down in order to wear it under headwraps. That&#39;ll be my new protective style. It&#39;ll keep my head warm, too.

tinykias
10-25-2007, 03:38 PM
so It&#39;s almost been a week with these braids and I like them. They wash and condition well, and my ends are protected (usually). I just worry about the take down... :unsure:
[/b]

Did you do box braids? If so how small or large are they?

-tinykias

myhair84
10-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey everyone,

I want to join this ps challenge as well. I don&#39;t know if my last reply posted so i&#39;m posting a new one. I&#39;ve been natural since feb of this year and i really do love it. there are some bad days and there is a lot of maintenance to put into it but all in all i really do enjoy having a different type of texture.

ok enough of my bio

i&#39;m doing two strands for a couple weeks at a time until april or may. i plan on not worrying about length or anything else. my hair products seem to be working for me (i just got some oyin products so we&#39;ll see how those go) so i think i&#39;m good. i&#39;ll cut my ends once a month after these recent twists (just twisted a couple hours ago and i really love them!) and keep it moving. i believe this is really going to help.

scardynap
10-26-2007, 12:49 AM
I need to put my hair into a transition/protective style. The kinky twists look super cute but i dont know youw to do them?? Is it the same as a two strand twist? I really dont want to pay someone to them for me (on a serious budget crunch) so i want to learn how to do as many styles as I can. Can anyone help??

Love always
ScardeyNap

Ms-gg
10-26-2007, 07:42 AM
I just put in a set of boxbraids last night. It was truly a 12 hour job (detangled first with a new fruit conditioner that smelled like heaven :wub: then followed up with a protein treatment by Audrey&#39;s or Aubrey&#39;s....then deep conditioned with Dove Cool Cucumber conditioner...my hair has NEVER been soft after just conditioning washing but it was yesterday)
Then I proceeded to box braid around 6 pm and finished around 3 in the morning. These bad boys WILL LAST at LEAST until Thanksgiving eve if not into december...I&#39;ll show a picture later...I love them :wub:

Wise1
10-26-2007, 07:58 AM
I want to join in really I do. my hair is so thin that its very scaply with twists :( small twists even make my hair look flat and thin.
What can I do?

jgossett
10-26-2007, 09:56 AM
I&#39;m going to join just as soon as homecoming week is over-doing a mohawk-and I&#39;ll try doing twists and finger coils. :P

I&#39;m doing headwraps too.

i&#39;ll be on the protective style wagon for the fall, right after Halloween. :D i&#39;ll be rotating braid/twist extensions and cornrows until springtime... wish me luck and God grant me strength cuz y&#39;all know i love my hair out and loose... :unsure:
[/b]

Your hair is gorgeous!!!!!! :wub:

nvsnot
10-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Count me in. I&#39;m usually bad about following up, but this time will be different ;) . My hair has been in 8 flat twists for a week now. I&#39;ll be taking them down tomorrow to wear a twist out for a fun party i&#39;m hosting at my house. Sunday I will wash (currently using Carol&#39;s daughters products and just purchased Castor oil which i&#39;ve only used once...won&#39;t know how my hair likes CO until I take my hair down tomorrow). Anyway, after washing sunday, i&#39;ll be deep conditioning with cholestorol or store brand conditioner mixed with castor oil. Afterwards, i&#39;ll be putting my hair in four large plaits until it dries. Once dried i&#39;ll put regular sized twists in that i&#39;ll hopefully leave in for two weeks.

monappy28
10-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Okay, I don&#39;t have a spray bottle right now cause I forgot to get one today when i went to the store, so can I wash my kinky twists without it. My hair itches and I have build up under my nails when I scratch. Please help me cause I wanna wash my hair tonight before I go to bed!

beautifulreality
10-26-2007, 04:49 PM
I&#39;ve been debating joining this challenge for a while, but after the cold weather left my wash and go super dry, I decided to join. I did some mini twists last night and hopefully I can keep them in until Thanksgiving or even until the end of the year. I&#39;ve been thinking that instead of taking them down all at once and redoing, that I could redo in sections so that my hair is always twisted. I&#39;m kind unsure of how to maintain them though, because I&#39;ve never kept my twist in longer than 2 weeks. I&#39;m so determined this time because I&#39;m trying to grow my hair as well and everytime I wear twists it&#39;s like I have a growth spurt. Does anyone have any tips for keeping twists in for a long time?

MzBNS2010
10-26-2007, 04:55 PM
it&#39;s been 2 weeks since i had my twist extensions in. i still :wub: them! i&#39;ll be washing them tommorrow so hopefully they will hold up for 6 more weeks. ^_^

Miss_Parker01
10-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Well I&#39;ve been MIA for a couple of months now and I&#39;m back and in need of a challenge. Lately my hair seems as if its been coming out but its probably because I keep picking in my head. Anyways I plan on doing some twists this weekend. Hopefully I can keep up with the challenge.

tpace
10-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Hey all,

I want to join. I put in my first set of kinky twists and will try to keep them in until December and then I will let my hair breathe for about 1 week and then put some more back in. My goal is to keep my hair in protective style until the end of winter (March 2008). Pray for me, I am not good at keeping my hair in protective styles for very long. I look forward to doing the challenge with you all.

Hpmomma
10-26-2007, 08:12 PM
I got my own hair corn rowed by one of my mom&#39;s students. It looks great. And she only charged me five bucks to do it... I am going to get a half wig tomorrow to where with it and some flowers to dress it up. How do I keep them in good order? Any suggestions are welcome... I am doing my first challenge.*dancing*

blkbuttafly928
10-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Im in....I&#39;ve been wearing kinky twist extensions since September 14th.

ms_aunatural
10-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Tuesday will mark 5 weeks for me... My hair is shrunken lots, kinda puffy in spots and two of my poor back braids unraveled slowly after two washes. :huh:

I had started undoing some of the ends... to get them redone, but it seems just when I am fed up and ready to redo, I wake up and they look fly enough to sport just a fewwww more days. :blush:

My braider can do them tomorrow or Thursday. Depending on how today goes, I may try to hold off till Thursday for 5 full weeks. In fact, I have just decided while typing this that I will wait till Thursday anyway b/c I still want to section and deep condition and trim... and I KNOW I&#39;m not gonna get that all done today. Taking them down is like a day project in itself, b/c I am laaaazy. :lol:

Anywho, just wanted to update. Several ppl have asked me in week 4, "Your hair is nice; when did you decide to loc?" or "I like you w/ locs" or some variation. :P Heh. :blush:

lacuna
10-28-2007, 10:16 PM
I&#39;m still in :~). I believe I joined the PSC on the 13th of this month, so that will make a little over 2 weeks so far. I took down my cornrows/box braids on thursday to wash my hair, then braided in large box braids for friday and saturday, and had my hair rebraided on sunday for the week. I&#39;ll take it down and repeat this process over again at the end of the week. This round I&#39;m working on keeping my hair moisturized by spritzing it and then putting a shower cap on it over night. Due to my inexperience with caring for protective styles it was super dry when I took it out to wash it last time, so I&#39;m trying not to repeat. Anyone have other ideas as to what to do to keep the hair and scalp from overdrying while wearing protective styles? Do you have overnight treatments as well? I know many of you shampoo, but I&#39;m not too keen on washing my braids; I have a feeling they&#39;ll get matted when I finally go to take them out.

natural06
10-29-2007, 01:08 AM
I have to say I am the wash and go queen but as the winter approaches ( I live in Boston) I know I will not be able to walk out with wet hair in the snow :unsure: so I will be giving the protective style a try. I&#39;ve never done much to my hair to begin with other than wash and go and buns but I will try two strand twist. I am thinking about getting them professionally done. Now, my question is can I leave them in for 2 months or is that too long?
[/b]
Are you a 4c-napp? Your hair is beautiful.

afroluvangel
10-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Hi everyone! I&#39;m thining of keep my hair in twists until the end of &#39;07, then taking them down at the beginning of &#39;08! I&#39;m also thinking every two weeks I should dilute my conditioner to wash my twists, then touch up any twists that need it. Trying to improve the condition of my hair. Good luck ladies!

Kiaya
10-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Ok, I&#39;m in as well. I&#39;ve been lurking since this thread began, but, the cold weather has forced me to make some decisions now, so here goes: I typically wear twists 90% of the time anyway, but my ends were starting to dry and look scraggly. I&#39;ve trimmed them. I hennaed and deep conditioned my hair, put it back into twists, and here&#39;s where my new plan comes in. . . I cornrowed the twists into 2 plaits on either side of my head (think Pocahontas). I then tucked the ends back into the hair. This way, my ends are completed protected.

Two to three nights a week, I massage my scalp with a mixture of Castor oil and sulfur, before covering my hair with a silk scarf. In the mornings, I massage Burt&#39;s Bees Avocado pre-shampoo leave in that I use as a daily dress.

I plan to take down my hair, wash every two weeks, twist and corn row back up. I hope to keep this routine through the new year. I also like someone&#39;s earlier suggestion of using scarfs when I want to switch the look up a bit. Wish me luck.

monappy28
10-29-2007, 10:53 AM
All of you who have just joined......Welcome :D I knew once that cold weather hit, more of you would be joining this challenge! Besides, who want&#39;s to get up any earlier than they have to in order to do their hair this winter,when you gotta get up earlier anyway on account that the weather get&#39;s bad and you have to leave early...and don&#39;t forget having to warm your car up :Angry: It is so much easier to not have that extra step in the morning.

Oh yeah, and protecting is good for your hair too :blush:

fixture
10-29-2007, 12:16 PM
I took down my braided extensions and banded and currently air drying my hair. I don&#39;t know what to do I&#39;ll probably wear bantu knots during my break from extension which should last for 2-4 weeks.

frumny2nc
10-29-2007, 01:26 PM
I&#39;m in. time to tie it up :D

missCONGENIALity
10-29-2007, 04:51 PM
It is time for me to re-twist my hair. I think I will do it this weekend. It is so cool here and I am so glad that I am doing this.

Ms-gg
10-30-2007, 07:36 AM
boxbraids are in and will stay end till late November/early december

LoveMyHair1
10-30-2007, 07:44 AM
I would like to join this challenge. This will be my first challenge. I keep my hair in mini-twists and individual braids all the time anyway. :)

AyannaDivine
10-30-2007, 08:41 AM
I joined the challenge back on 10/07/07 and everything has been going well except for the fact that my hair line is thinning! My wig must have been too tight or something. I threw my wig in the trash and I&#39;m going to hold off on getting my micro braids until December 1st. Right now I&#39;m wearing a sew-in weave, hopefully I can make it last until December. Anyone know how to wash a weave? Should I just cleanse my scalp w/ a mild shampoo and a wash cloth? HELP!

amourbliss
10-30-2007, 11:06 AM
since the last time I updated i still haven&#39;t twisted my hair back up, but today is the day!! :)

nvsnot
10-30-2007, 07:08 PM
On Monday I washed my hair and put four large plaits in to stretch overnight. I didn&#39;t deep condition this time I just applied leave-in conditioner and castor oil. I must say my hair was very moisturized when I took my plaits down today to put two strand twists in my hair. I&#39;ll be leaving my hair like this for at least a week...maybe two.

SoSoul
10-30-2007, 08:00 PM
I did rinse my hair last night. No shampoo , no conditioner, just water. Put shea butter and Rasta&#39;s moisturizing lotion. i two strand twisted it with a little beeswax on my edges to keep them down. worked good. looks good. i two strand twisted it back halfway then stoped and restarted the two strands. It&#39;s really CUTE! :wub: I like it.

This weekend or next weekend ( whenever i get a mintue) i will be getting braids again. i like them

NewlyNappyNelle
10-31-2007, 02:33 AM
I want to take these braids out... <_< I don&#39;t like them anymore.... only when they&#39;re soaking wet after washing.

Germany
10-31-2007, 03:28 AM
thanks for the explanation jaimuziq!

i put my twists to bed last night and they debulked nicely and look much better. i actually got the feeling i can leave my head alone for 2 weeks!
[/b]
:unsure: Your hair is beautiful. How long did it take to get that long? Do you blowdry your hair to get it back into a ponytail like you have it in your picture. Sorry I am a amatuer. Okay so I&#39;ve been natural for about two and a half years and I my hair is about six inches curly. I&#39;ve been rockin single braids this entire time, but for the last 2 months I&#39;ve been wearing the wash and go style. I obtained some good advice from another member yesterday. Any advice to obtain the length you have?

Miss_Parker01
10-31-2007, 06:30 AM
Well I finally twisted my hair last night with the help of a friend. I plan on trying to keep them in longer than usual this time. I&#39;m going to just retwist as the days pass and try not to take them down.

tinykias
10-31-2007, 09:39 AM
I just can&#39;t seem to find time to do any specific style so I&#39;ve been wearing a banded puff that is huge. In between staying up to read and study for exams I can&#39;t see how us college students find the time to do our hair. It&#39;s crazy. Then, it&#39;s funny how once it&#39;s done you spend less time in the morning preparing and can get out the house faster. lol
Any ideas on the next protective style I should try? I did twists first. I&#39;m a little scared of box braids because my hair is fine.

-tinykias

Ipanema
10-31-2007, 11:08 AM
@tinykias, maybe you can try flat-twists.

I flat-twisted all my hair straight back to the nape.

I bought some nice long scarves to wear as headwraps. It&#39;s so quick in the morning.

naturalisbeauty
10-31-2007, 11:13 AM
I noticed my ends were kinda of crazy so I got a trim ( can&#39;t post pics because hair is straight) and now my hair is all even a little past my shoulder ^_^ . I am washing my hair today and doing my protective style :) pics coming soon on my fotki!

naturalisbeauty
10-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Are you a 4c-napp? Your hair is beautiful.
[/b]

You are going to laugh at me but um.. yeah I don&#39;t know what a 4Cnapp is...THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENT THOUGH! :wub:

BrnNappyGrl
10-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Ok, kept my last set of twists in for a full 2 weeks. Am now conditioning my hair to put it back into twists. I&#39;m alternating twists with wraps, so I might just try 3 weeks for this new set... well, at least 2.5 anyway!

Praise Hymn
10-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Hey, I&#39;d like to join this PSC.. I see that I&#39;m super late, but, oh well... I&#39;ve been fully natural since Aug &#39;05. I&#39;ve snipped and cut my hair way too much, so I&#39;m tryna keep the shears away. Only a trim every six weeks for me...

As far as styles go, I did some micro braids w/ human hair in June, kept those in until the end of september.. once those were out, I did some cornrows and natural microbraids in the back. Since then, I&#39;ve kept my natural hair braided in microbraids. So that is what, four months of keeping my hair in? That is a LONGGGG time for me... I&#39;m quick to bust out da fro... haha

Anyway, I plan to keep my hair "in" until the new year... I re-do the braids by sections... the back first, then the sides, then the top... I deep condition/co-wash every week or so. Haven&#39;t really "washed" my hair since taking the micros out in Sept. I must say, I can see the growth and thickness more and more!

I just started positng pics in a fotki album.. tryna get the albums set up by date (they ALL out of order right now) but you all are welcomed to stop by... just remember: the albums are UNDER CONSTRUCTION...haha.. I&#39;ll holla!

Fotki.com/HALLELUJAH

tinykias
10-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Hey, I&#39;d like to join this PSC.. I see that I&#39;m super late, but, oh well... I&#39;ve been fully natural since Aug &#39;05. I&#39;ve snipped and cut my hair way too much, so I&#39;m tryna keep the shears away. Only a trim every six weeks for me...

As far as styles go, I did some micro braids w/ human hair in June, kept those in until the end of september.. once those were out, I did some cornrows and natural microbraids in the back. Since then, I&#39;ve kept my natural hair braided in microbraids. So that is what, four months of keeping my hair in? That is a LONGGGG time for me... I&#39;m quick to bust out da fro... haha

Anyway, I plan to keep my hair "in" until the new year... I re-do the braids by sections... the back first, then the sides, then the top... I deep condition/co-wash every week or so. Haven&#39;t really "washed" my hair since taking the micros out in Sept. I must say, I can see the growth and thickness more and more!

I just started positng pics in a fotki album.. tryna get the albums set up by date (they ALL out of order right now) but you all are welcomed to stop by... just remember: the albums are UNDER CONSTRUCTION...haha.. I&#39;ll holla!

Fotki.com/HALLELUJAH
[/b]

Hi,
You have pretty hair. I wanted to comment on the styles but your comments are not enabled yet.

-tinykias

ms_aunatural
10-31-2007, 04:20 PM
OK, I kinda broke my own rules. My hair has been out for four days. It&#39;s getting trimmed and hot oil treatmented (yes I made up the word) and put back in box braids tomorrow.

jaimuziq
10-31-2007, 04:29 PM
I twisted my hair on Saturday and I&#39;m glad I did because it keeps raining here and I don&#39;t have to worry about my hair. :)

blackbeauty398
10-31-2007, 04:45 PM
I&#39;ve had my hair mostly in box braids still, though I&#39;ve been bad a few times and taken it down. Hey, I have to see my hair every now and then. :P The set of box braids I have in now were put in October 1 and I plan on taking my hair down this weekend and redoing them. Not sure what length of time I&#39;m going for here. Just enjoying not having to deal with loose hair.

tarin88
10-31-2007, 05:53 PM
COUNT ME IN!!
I actually have been in twists since Oct 10th i just forgot to post it on here.

Well my routine consists of this
Twist hair every 2 weeks
Deep treatment using Organic Root Stimulator OLive Oil Replenishing Pack (love this stuff) everytime i retwist
Take 2000mcg of Biotin everyday.
Keep in twists until second week of February 2008

i will then straighten to do a trim and length check.
So im in for the long haul.
it&#39;s really not cold here in Atlanta yet. but I need to get my hair especially my ends back in shape. I also want to see how much length i can retain in four months.

Good luck ladies!

here is how my hair is now. i did these on Oct 26th
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/tarin88/photo9.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/tarin88/photo3.jpg

Praise Hymn
11-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Hey there!

Just checking in... how is everyone holding up on the challenge??

I&#39;m doing very well... Still in my micro box braids... Its been over a month now. Still doing them over by sections...

ummm, I&#39;m wanting to take them down for my birthday (Nov. 15th), but I don&#39;t wanna wear it out cause I know it&#39;ll be hard to resist after that.. maybe I&#39;ll do some twists, just to cure my need for change... that way, it&#39;ll feel "new" but my hair will still be in... yeah, I&#39;ll do that...

also, thinking about purchasing some snoods or hats.. I&#39;m not big on hats though... my head kinda big (laughing at myself)... I might try one.. I don&#39;t wanna be walking next to my husband looking like his son instead of his wife.. haha... my shrinkage is something awful... haha...

One more thing, I have some ACV and EVOO... what can I do with that while my hair is in braids/twists? Rinses? Deep condition??? Just wondering...

fotki album is under construction.. feel free to stop by... may not be able to leave comments yet, still on the free trial... haha

fotki.com/HALLELUJAH

Remain in prayer ladies!!

missCONGENIALity
11-04-2007, 01:35 PM
I am putting a new set in right now. I hope these last for a while. I really need to trim my hair.

monappy28
11-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Okay, I know it&#39;s only been a few weeks since I got my kinky twists, but already I am counting down until I get my micro&#39;s :blush: Sad I know, but I am getting bored, I miss using my products, and I miss playing in my hair......*throwing a pouting, stomping tantrum*....... Okay, okay. I&#39;m better! The important thing is that I&#39;m protecting my hair, right? Right?......

Str8toFro
11-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Ok I think I want to join this challenge. I cut my hair about three months ago for my 2 year anniversary and now I want to grow back that 4 inches I cut and some but healthier. I&#39;m currently in the process of taking out some three month old twists. I was thinking about locing I even went as far as to latch my whole head some weeks ago but ran head on into some build up and have been trying to get rid of it for about two weeks. Thought I had it under control when I decided to undo one of my back twists and found lint. From there I just keep taking them out. I&#39;m about two-thirds of the way maybe even three-quarters I&#39;m not sure.

When I&#39;m done doing this I&#39;ll probably give my head a good scrub and condition and finally run my comb and brush through my hair. I will say I don&#39;t regret attempting to loc because my hair grew about 2 inches over the three months so I see it as a three month long PSC.

My goal for this is to take it two weeks at a time. If I like how it looks after two weeks then I&#39;ll keep going because I know that I can go that long without too much problem.

Jaded1981
11-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Count me in I had my current twist in for one week so far. I would try to keep them in for three weeks.

Praise Hymn
11-05-2007, 01:39 PM
[color=#6600CC]

Okay, I&#39;ve decided to go ahead and slowly transition from these OLD box braids to some twists.. I have to help my friends with a baby shower this weekend and just want to spruce up a bit... I&#39;m starting with the back and work my way forward, using Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioning Creme... I have regular shea butter, but I don&#39;t wanna use it... no reason, just don&#39;t feel like bothering with it today... haha...

Anyway :blah: , I&#39;ll keep it in... my birthday is coming up on the 15th, I want to wear it OUT in my big fro :afro: ... but I tell ya that is a setup! I know if I wear it out one day, I&#39;ll want to go the whole week!!! Haven&#39;t had my baby out since June... Someone pray with me!!! I need to "look to the hills from which cometh my help..." haha...

fotki still under construction, welcome to visit:
www.fotki.com/hallelujah
no p/w needed.....

mango26
11-05-2007, 01:52 PM
I&#39;m joining too ; ) currently im in twists it&#39;s been a week. I&#39;m going to try for 2 more weeks then redo

LoveMyHair1
11-05-2007, 03:36 PM
I finished a set of microtwists on Sunday. I plan on keeping these in for at least 2 weeks.

naturalisbeauty
11-05-2007, 04:11 PM
so yeah I&#39;ve never done the protective style thing and um...my hair only takes to ONE hair style.... :D or else I look too young or crazy...soooo off to twisting and then putting in a bun I go.

Str8toFro
11-05-2007, 05:23 PM
I&#39;m going to hope that I can wash, condition and possible twists my hair tomorrow morning. If not tomorrow I has to be Wednesday or Thursday. I really want to do flat twists in the front and twists in the back but that&#39;s wishful thinking since I cut my hair. I mean I might be able to do them now with all the practice but I doubt it.

tinykias
11-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi Ladies,
So I finished taking the other twists down and for 2 weeks I wore my hair in a high and low puff. One which my boyfriend called the "afro tail" lol. But Now I&#39;m back in larger twists hoping to wear them for a week and then do a twist-out and keep it going. Of course a twist-out with no manipulation hence the protection.

-tinykias

Kiaya
11-06-2007, 07:49 PM
I took down a set of twists over the weekend; I was really pleased at how well moisturized they were. So, I co-washed, deep conditioned, and put flat twists in all over. I&#39;m keeping with my goal to keep my hair completely "in" this season. My hair is now flat twisted going towards the back and then up into a french twist.

SoSoul
11-06-2007, 07:59 PM
I will be doing my hair tonight. i think. lol. I have had a plastic cap and a pretty scarf over it for the past two days. i washed it this weekend. so it&#39;s all dried out and shriviled to my scalp. but its all good.

beautifulreality
11-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi everyone! I&#39;m still in my twists suprisingly. I guess it&#39;s been around a week and a half. Maybe a day or two longer. I was getting tired of them so yesterday and today I&#39;ve been wearing a wig to class while keeping my twists in. I think I don&#39;t like them as much now because the front is really frizzy from wearing headbands. So I plan on washing them today and if I can keep them stretched out, redo the front and wear my twists a little longer. If I mess them up while washing I can just wear my wig until the weekend when I can redo them.

frumny2nc
11-07-2007, 09:48 AM
I&#39;m still in. I&#39;m wearing a twistout today. I plan on retwisting tomorrow. Beautifulreality, your twists look great :)

MzBNS2010
11-07-2007, 09:57 AM
I finished a set of microtwists on Sunday. I plan on keeping these in for at least 2 weeks.
[/b]

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo in :wub: with your hair :blush:

Ok. It&#39;s been 3 1/2 wks for me with these extension twists. I&#39;m getting the front re-done this coming Saturday so that I may wear them for 4-5 more wks. plz wish me luck b/c I&#39;m missing my fro like crazy! :(

Ipanema
11-07-2007, 01:18 PM
I put my hair in two-strand twists, but I&#39;m still wearing headwraps every day. I got tired of the flat twists. After a week they were sitting up an inch off my head. That&#39;s how puffed up they were.

beautifulreality
11-07-2007, 01:49 PM
I&#39;m still in. I&#39;m wearing a twistout today. I plan on retwisting tomorrow. Beautifulreality, your twists look great :)
[/b]

Thanks! :D I just hopped over to your album and your hair is amazing!

I washed my twists and they came out great. They didn&#39;t shrink up drastically, but I don&#39;t mind shrinkage now because it keeps my hair off of my neck and shoulders. Washing my twists also made me love them once again and the wig is now retired. I wonder if I can make it until Thanksgiving with these? That will be exactly 4 weeks and a new record for me.

nvsnot
11-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Took two strand twist out after wearing them for only 1 week Tuesday. Washed and conditioned then put 8 flat twist in my hair for a loose style i&#39;ll be wearing to a wedding Saturday. Sunday I will put another protective style in (haven&#39;t decided which style) and try my best to keep in for, at least, 2 weeks.

bigmoney247
11-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Hi, I just took out my micros and got some twists done. The guy who did them has beautiful locks..So, if I can keep them in awhile I might try to loc

COUNT ME IN!!
I actually have been in twists since Oct 10th i just forgot to post it on here.

Well my routine consists of this
Twist hair every 2 weeks
Deep treatment using Organic Root Stimulator OLive Oil Replenishing Pack (love this stuff) everytime i retwist
Take 2000mcg of Biotin everyday.
Keep in twists until second week of February 2008

i will then straighten to do a trim and length check.
So im in for the long haul.
it&#39;s really not cold here in Atlanta yet. but I need to get my hair especially my ends back in shape. I also want to see how much length i can retain in four months.

Good luck ladies!

here is how my hair is now. i did these on Oct 26th
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/tarin88/photo9.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/tarin88/photo3.jpg
[/b]

Wow! Your hair looks really healthy

naturalisbeauty
11-07-2007, 04:44 PM
I dont know if this was discussed but I think we should all post before and after pictures after we are done with the challenge :) taking into consideration that not everyone has the same end day for their challenge of course. :D

Praise Hymn
11-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Ok, done with my boxbraid-to-twist transition... my husband loves it!!! He keeps saying how its so much FULLER and longer than before the PSC challenge that I started in June...

dang, I really wish my camera was working... these small phone pics just making me mad... I will try to post some pics in my fotki album though...

I ban them at night just to keep them stretched for a while... I won&#39;t ban them for long though, I love the shrinkage too much!

I will keep these as long as I can... I will say this, my twists don&#39;t usually last long... my hair is just too soft man... the middle will stay for ever and ever, it being so thick and curly, but the back, around that nape area: just don&#39;t know how to act!!! Maybe I should try some type of loc or twist gel???

:blah: you know, now that I think about it, I changed my hair so much, I never really gave my twists a chance to last longer than a week... hmm... maybe I&#39;ll challenge myself this time... give them time to set in..

Aiight.. I&#39;ll holla at u guys next week!

Ms-gg
11-08-2007, 06:00 AM
Im two weeks in on these boxbraids ya&#39;ll...14 days down, 14 more to go :D

tinykias
11-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Im two weeks in on these boxbraids ya&#39;ll...14 days down, 14 more to go :D
[/b]

Whoa good job. So, I of course have questions. So, what are you using to keep them moisturized? Are you noticing any buildup? How often do you wash them? And I&#39;m guessing you plan on keeping them in for a month?

I want to try some but I have fine strands and well buildup is something that just seems to happen faster and it&#39;s harder to cover up after a while and get out of my hair. So, I just want to know before I venture into trying box braids.

-tinykias

fixture
11-08-2007, 08:50 AM
I don&#39;t have any thing to say at the moment but my hair is fine I trimmed off some ends that were in need of trimming. I might get twist extensions this weekend but I&#39;m not sure. Yes I should do it I have nothing to do this weekend. So I shouldn&#39;t have a problem.

carboncopysue
11-08-2007, 09:58 AM
I guess I&#39;m in for the winter...I don&#39;t feel like messing with my hair every day...

I have braids (plaits, box braids) in since last monday--so that&#39;s ten days so far. I&#39;m slowly modifying them because I wanted small diamond parts and the girl gave me triangles. It&#39;s all good though, I&#39;ll change her parts around bit by bit to make it work for me.

Hopefully I can do my usual 4 weeks with this set.

Sue.

Str8toFro
11-08-2007, 10:04 AM
I washed, conditioned and styled my hair Tuesday. Because I volunteer on Tuesday nights I only did the edge of my hair and wore hat that night and no one knew any different. I did manage to finish the twists that night and I am so pleased with how they feel and look. They&#39;re soft and plump. I&#39;m almost surprised by how not dry they are. I couldn&#39;t believe that after I conditioned it and I mean just regular conditioning no leaving it for hours or anything I just detangled and washed it out. But my hair was still very soft and smooth and moisturized. I really couldn&#39;t believe it because usually conditioner just doesn&#39;t do that for me. I guess because my hair was really clean it worked better. I don&#39;t really know. I do want to keep this in for at least a week. I&#39;ll probably not wash until I take them out or if my scalp starts itching.

chanson
11-08-2007, 10:18 AM
...ok i&#39;m in...twists, coils or just plain keepin it covered...