PDA

View Full Version : I Was Called Anjamima Toda At Work!

niknik02
10-10-2007, 09:20 PM
I wore my hair today in an afro pony tail. My charge nurse had nerve to say "WOW I guess we are working with Anjamima today!" I said nothing. :brickwall: I am ashamed at the ignorance people display toward the black culture. I am proud of my nappy head, and that b!%@# had no right to say that. I took the issue to HR but I had to come home and tell my other nappy sisters. :Angry:

karmlapl
10-11-2007, 01:27 AM
WOW! Folks can be so ignorant sometimes and some folks just don't even care to know anything about us. I am sorry that you had to encounter this foolishness today but you did the right thing by reporting her to HR (I wanted to knock her head off for you, I can be uncouth like that sometimes). Once HR talks to her about her conduct, she'll think twice about what she wants to say before she says it.

honeybunch2k5
10-11-2007, 04:52 AM
:Angry:

Stupid people.

Trenellm
10-11-2007, 06:13 AM
Report her.

Anyways, it don&#39;t even make sense. Aunt Jamima got a p.erm <_< :lol:

mzunyque
10-11-2007, 06:32 AM
^^^^ :lol: i was just thinking that!

some people are just ignant.

my brother called me alfalfa. i was so sad. he was just playing though....we tease like that all the time. but for a second, my feelings were hurt.

100cacao
10-11-2007, 06:35 AM
I wore my hair today in an afro pony tail. My charge nurse had nerve to say "WOW I guess we are working with Anjamima today!" I said nothing. :brickwall: I am ashamed at the ignorance people display toward the black culture. I am proud of my nappy head, and that b!%@# had no right to say that. I took the issue to HR but I had to come home and tell my other nappy sisters. :Angry:
[/b]

So glad you reported her!! That was most definitely a racial slur (even if the nurse was black). No doubt she will try to say it was a joke, but nastiness is often the motivation for shady "jokes". When HR crawls up her tail, she will be put on notice that it was unacceptable and unprofessional.

missladee622
10-11-2007, 06:37 AM
I&#39;m glad you went to HR.

She was outta line.

honeybunch2k5
10-11-2007, 06:59 AM
Report her.

[/b]
Exactly! LOL

Queencece
10-11-2007, 07:16 AM
I&#39;m glad you went to HR.

She was outta line.
[/b]

Basically!

Ebonique
10-11-2007, 07:39 AM
[/b]

Did you report her to EEO as well? Clearly it&#39;s a racist comment, regardless of her race. :Angry: Please document it in case they escalate it and hang a noose outside your locker or something. :rolleyes:

Neosoul
10-11-2007, 07:42 AM
As an HR manager I came in here to tell you to report it at once, but I see that you did already. Good for you. :D That nurse requires some sensitivity training.

naturalisbeauty
10-11-2007, 08:15 AM
You did the right thing :)

Babylon
10-11-2007, 08:18 AM
I would not have reported the crap. I would have said something equally ignant and racist and laughed my head off, as if I was joking.

For instance, if she was white I would have said, "girl if I can work with a cave woman I&#39;m sure you can work with anjamima and make it through the day! :lol:

I believe that this would have worked better to make her see her stupidity then going to HR. JMO though.

JeanBean
10-11-2007, 09:04 AM
I hear you Karmlapl, I would tell her about herself and hurt her feelings no doubt! But you certainly did the right thing going to hr, let them give her a spanking.

DeepBluSea
10-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Wow! People have some nerve! I&#39;m glad you reported her as well. At the very least she needs to be more professional since she is the charge.

mahsoul1
10-11-2007, 10:31 AM
I would have told her that this was rude, ignorant,a show of blatant disrespect and that she should know better. Then, I would have made the report to HR. I see why you said nothing ( remain professional) but she probably went away thinking that was okay..at least to HR talks to her. Hopefully they do.

So Aunt Jemima wore an afro puff? I could have sworn she wore a scarf over hear head.

@ Babylon, I probably would made some equally ridiculousy statement to attempt to show her the ignorance of her statement too but sometimes I think I give some people too much credit regarding their ability to really understand.

notroz2u
10-11-2007, 10:43 AM
I&#39;m glad you took the issue to HR

ashta
10-11-2007, 11:06 AM
[/b]

yowsa!

reporting it is good. but, you should make sure you document your interactions with her from here out. if you start getting moved around to different departments (esp. the undesirable ones for you), etc. that&#39;s a problem and that&#39;s retaliation and that could illegal.

niknik02
10-11-2007, 04:02 PM
THANK YOU ALL!!!!! I needed that support from you all. HR and the manager above her head has handled the situacion. So she n knows that that wasn;t cool. Thank you fo the advice. I will keep a note about the situacion for just in case in the futrue.

God bless Ya&#39;ll

Alastri
10-11-2007, 07:21 PM
why is it so common for us to be defined by our hair?

geesh. glad you reported it.

Yekomod
10-11-2007, 07:51 PM
DONT PAY HER NO MIND, SOUNDS LIKE A HATER TO ME!!

crmycoco
10-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Report her.

[/b]
:lol: :lol:

shealeytonia
11-02-2007, 03:34 PM
I work in th ER, and I would like to say that she had no right saying anything like that even if she was thinking it. The white people at my job HATE it when I wear an afro to work, because everyone gives me the black power fist as I&#39;m walking down the hall, and it bothers them. I will tell you that I have had people on a couple of occassions say it was unprofessional for me to wear an afro, and I promptly told them that I don&#39;t have to wear my hair straight to gain acceptance from them,and if they have a problem with how my hair naturally is then that&#39;s their problem, and they shouldn&#39;t look if it bothers them so much. I also added that you don&#39;t hear me complaining how they come to work smelling like bologna with their stringy hair sopping wet dripping all over the place.

Coco_P
11-02-2007, 04:24 PM
[/b]

I also think that you did the right thing to just keep cool and go to HR. She would have gotten the message if you had come back at her with an equally rude and inappropriate remark. But why stoop to her level? Work is not the place. Let HR handle it and she&#39;ll get the message and a warning about her behavior.

Gacela20
11-17-2007, 03:44 PM
I work in th ER, and I would like to say that she had no right saying anything like that even if she was thinking it. The white people at my job HATE it when I wear an afro to work, because everyone gives me the black power fist as I&#39;m walking down the hall, and it bothers them. I will tell you that I have had people on a couple of occassions say it was unprofessional for me to wear an afro, and I promptly told them that I don&#39;t have to wear my hair straight to gain acceptance from them,and if they have a problem with how my hair naturally is then that&#39;s their problem, and they shouldn&#39;t look if it bothers them so much. I also added that you don&#39;t hear me complaining how they come to work smelling like bologna with their stringy hair sopping wet dripping all over the place.[/b]

:unsure: :lol:

IndividualME
10-25-2010, 11:32 PM
I work in th ER, and I would like to say that she had no right saying anything like that even if she was thinking it. The white people at my job HATE it when I wear an afro to work, because everyone gives me the black power fist as I'm walking down the hall, and it bothers them. I will tell you that I have had people on a couple of occassions say it was unprofessional for me to wear an afro, and I promptly told them that I don't have to wear my hair straight to gain acceptance from them,and if they have a problem with how my hair naturally is then that's their problem, and they shouldn't look if it bothers them so much. I also added that you don't hear me complaining how they come to work smelling like bologna with their stringy hair sopping wet dripping all over the place.
BWAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! That was just too funny. I cosign!!

IndividualME
10-25-2010, 11:36 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what was her ethnic background?

I am glad you took it to HR, because I would have took it to HR and above.

The good in me:
She would have lost her job over it.

The b*tch in me:
I would have gave it to her raw!

tweetnaps
12-12-2010, 11:31 PM
^^^^love that

so was she just talked to?

Sinamin2
01-20-2011, 09:09 PM
I THINK SHE OWS YOU AN FACE TO FACE APOLOGY. And when she starts talking that.. I was only joking thing, that's when you walk away. But she Needs to apologize, so she can learn. The next time her mouth starts going before her brain, she'll think to raing it back in. It meaning her toung. uuuhhh.... I have very little patience for ignorant grown ups, and NO respect.

Sinamin2
01-20-2011, 09:18 PM
why is it so common for us to be defined by our hair?

geesh. glad you reported it.

Now this is a good question. hhhmmmm })

w04andia
01-20-2011, 09:39 PM
dayam, you did the right thing. this kinda ish needs to be nipped in the bud.

Soul Rebel
01-22-2011, 02:32 AM
ppl realize this is a very old thread, no?

LBellatrix
01-22-2011, 03:02 AM
ppl realize this is a very old thread, no?

Apparently not... :huh: people really don't look at dates like they should...

I obviously missed this the first time around. "Anjamima"? Really?

Sheba
01-22-2011, 06:06 PM
This has happened to me several years ago. I got a new job two weeks later. I was not going to entertain ignorance. My manager mad the statement, but he has no choice but to give me good reviews for jobs.

Princess Pamplemousse
01-23-2011, 03:42 AM
Lol I have noted the date but this thread is relevant to my interests. In elementary school my gym teacher used to call me Anjamima. I didn't know what it meant exactly but I knew it was a not so nice reference to my hair :( I have no idea why I never told my parents. smh. And he was the last person to be making fun of anyone's physical appearance. He was a really nasty unhealthy looking man. Especially to be a gym teacher! Brought fried chicken to class every week and never shared with his students :-| lol