PDA

View Full Version : Pre-doctoral Psychology Internship 04-05

earthangel
03-13-2004, 12:32 AM
Ladies,

I know I'm not the only one on Nappturality who either plans to go on internship this year or who is currently on internship. Not a day goes by that I wonder how in the WORLD will I afford to live on my internship year! :huh

My current supervisor told me to choose all of the rotations with psychiatrists who are linked with pharmaceutical companies, since they come with all the money and free food!! *sigh* I'm even thinking of selling some things on eBay this summer, just to help save money. I am saving like there is no tomorrow, just to help provide a cushion for my salary that sucks!!! Shoot, I'm taking a 50% pay cut!! :blab

Well, I know one thing, God didn't bring me this far to let me down. However, I'm just curious, how will you make it, or how are you making it?!?!

PrincessDrRe
03-13-2004, 02:13 AM
School loans, school loans, school loans!!!

This is about the only way, being that you will have to do the internship like a regular job. You cannot work too many hours, as you will become over-tired and not give the attention to your internship.

You take care and know I'm feeling it also...... :blab

earthangel
03-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Oh yeah, how COULD I forget school loans?!?! Yeah, I guess that's a must! *sigh* I hate debt :(

Sunchild
03-14-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by PrincessDrRe@Mar 12 2004, 10:13 PM
School loans, school loans, school loans!!!

This is about the only way, being that you will have to do the internship like a regular job. You cannot work too many hours, as you will become over-tired and not give the attention to your internship.

You take care and know I'm feeling it also...... :blab
OK maybe its federal or school to school. But dont you have to be registered a certain amount of hours to even qualify for financial aid. If you are only registered for the class code for the internship then how will you qualify for financial aid aka loans?

earthangel
03-15-2004, 05:36 PM
As a graduate student, I can take up to 9 credits for internship, I believe. I can also be approved to be a full-time student at my school, even if I take 1 internship credit. Loans are definitely the move though!! :thumbsup

Lagina
03-15-2004, 06:12 PM
:blab

Just wanted to offer a little support! You can do it! Remeber when you have the urge to buy something, Ask yourself if you really need it. Or better yet try not to buy anything at all unless its life or death :duck

Hope that helps

It will be well worth it when your done! Always look at/for the finish line 8)

earthangel
03-16-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Lagina@Mar 15 2004, 01:12 PM
:blab

Just wanted to offer a little support! You can do it! Remeber when you have the urge to buy something, Ask yourself if you really need it. Or better yet try not to buy anything at all unless its life or death :duck

Hope that helps

It will be well worth it when your done! Always look at/for the finish line 8)
Thanks Lagina! I'm actually trying to buy little things here and there, knowing that I ain't gonna have the $$$$ to do so in the fall!! I'll actually start applying for jobs this fall and early next spring, so , you're right, if I can just hang in there for one more year, I'll be straight! :)

Jamilla
03-16-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by earthangel@Mar 13 2004, 08:52 AM
Oh yeah, how COULD I forget school loans?!?! Yeah, I guess that's a must! *sigh* I hate debt :(
I hear you on that. I'm trying to avoid loans, but I might have to use them next year. I just found out that I didn't get the assistantship that I applied for.

Well, I know one thing, God didn't bring me this far to let me down.
This has been my mantra since I first applied to the program and definitely continues to be.

I am in my first year of my doctoral program, so I'm not at the internship stage yet (though it's always in the back of my mind). When I did my practicum for my master's program I was living off my student loans. I had been working part-time while I went to school, but had to quit to do my practicum. That was the first time I ever clipped and used coupons. Fortunately I was living at home with my parents.

earthangel
03-18-2004, 02:11 PM
@ Jamilla- Aw, I'm sorry to hear you didn't get that assistantship. In graduate school, EVERYBODY fights over those things, and there are few to choose among. At my school, I think the entire program applied for the assistantships that me and a couple of people will be giving up at the counseling center.

Don't forget about the American Psychological Association Minority Fellowship Program! I'm a MFP fellow, and honey, that stiped has helped out a WHOLE lot, let me tell you!!! Not to mention the networking opportunities. I would definitely encourage you to apply this fall. I won't get that stipend during internship, so a sista WILL be clippin' coupons!!