PDA

View Full Version : Halle's New Movie:

anabwi
10-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Me and my friend had a little heated discussion today. She asks me was I going to see Halle's new movie and I told her I'd wait until it shows on HBO.
She said, "you ran to see Why Did I Get Married on the first night, so why you ain't gonna support Halle?

So I told her from the previews I've seen, it's too much like Monster's Ball.

1. She loses her man to prison/execution in MB, death in new movie.
2. Interracial relationship in both movies.
3. Plays someone that is really distraught and disheveled.
4. Media says new movie role is Oscar-worthy performance, just like she won it for MB.
5. Halle didn't produce this movie like Tyler did his.

It's just that the new movie seems like a warmed-over Monster's Ball and I want to see her do something different. To make a long story short, she hung up on me, so what in the heck was so wrong with what I said?

LuvJones
10-17-2007, 02:57 PM
I think I would have to rethink a friend who hangs up on me because of MY opinion of a MOVIE! Is she kin to halle or something? There&#39;s is nothing wrong with your reasoning, it&#39;s YOUR reasoning. Sounds like she trippin on some ooo weee! <_<

anabwi
10-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Yeah, this one is puzzling. Maybe she&#39;s PMSing.

Natural Mystic
10-17-2007, 05:16 PM
I think I would have to rethink a friend who hangs up on me because of MY opinion of a MOVIE! Is she kin to halle or something? There&#39;s is nothing wrong with your reasoning, it&#39;s YOUR reasoning. Sounds like she trippin on some ooo weee! <_<
[/b]

^^^You ain&#39;t neva lied!! I realllly would have to take a kitkat break over that one.

Maybe she&#39;s going through something right now...

LaChabine
10-17-2007, 05:34 PM
I didn&#39;t know Halle was in a new movie. Never heard of it. From what you described, I wouldn&#39;t see it, either. Your friend&#39;s MAJORLY trippin&#39;...unless she has a bit role in the film or something. :huh:

Sekhmet
10-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Some people take things WAY too personally. Nothing wrong with your opinion. You have your -- very well thought-out IMO -- reasons. Like everyone else has said, she must be stressed out about something.

I&#39;m not going to see Halle Berry&#39;s movie because of the simple fact that, Oscar or no, she can&#39;t act! You can tell your friend that I said it too! :P

GalaxyGirl2012
10-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Some people take things WAY too personally. Nothing wrong with your opinion. You have your -- very well thought-out IMO -- reasons. Like everyone else has said, she must be stressed out about something.
I&#39;m not going to see Halle Berry&#39;s movie because of the simple fact that, Oscar or no, she can&#39;t act! You can tell your friend that I said it too! :P
[/b]
if she could borrow a cup or two of acting chops from angela bassett (who i think overacts enough for 2.5 people in every movie she&#39;s in) then halle would be a&#39;ight.

natural-forever
10-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Hale rolling around in the bed naked with a White dude.

Nothing new.

mzunyque
10-17-2007, 08:38 PM

Nothing new.
[/b]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

librarising
10-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Hale rolling around in the bed naked with a White dude. [/b]

Damn, ya&#39;ll are playing her like Julia Stiles with another black dude.

GalaxyGirl2012
10-17-2007, 09:25 PM
i&#39;m just over here :lol: because you all are assuming the character was originally written to be black. it wasn&#39;t.
i think it&#39;s funny because people will complain that there aren&#39;t any juicy roles for sisters in movies with good stories but then other people will complain that&#39;s it&#39;s a sister in a juicy role that was written for a woman to be a woman not a color.

frau
10-17-2007, 10:45 PM
I&#39;m not going to see Halle Berry&#39;s movie because of the simple fact that, Oscar or no, she can&#39;t act! [/b]
ditto that. she&#39;s a tired bore.

Natural Mystic
10-18-2007, 07:38 AM
i&#39;m just over here :lol: because you all are assuming the character was originally written to be black. it wasn&#39;t.
i think it&#39;s funny because people will complain that there aren&#39;t any juicy roles for sisters in movies with good stories but then other people will complain that&#39;s it&#39;s a sister in a juicy role that was written for a woman to be a woman not a color.
[/b]

Yep. I saw a TV interview with the director and Halle in which they discussed the fact that this part was not originally written for a black woman (or a woman of colour in general), but that she decided to choose Halle because of the emotions etc. she would bring to the role. Halle went on to say that it was nice to actually get a part in Hollywood without having to worry about the racial categorization and gymnastics that prohibit many black actors from getting parts simply because the character itself was not written to be black.

I am not sure if I will see this film. If I do see it, it will be more so b/c Benicio Del Toro is in it and I find him interesting....I got nothin&#39; against Halle, but her role in this film doesn&#39;t really pique my interest.

AuNappturale
10-18-2007, 08:08 AM
I agree with all of your points, OP. After her sick role and performance in Monster&#39;s Ball, I lost all respect for Halle as an actress. I even understood B.A.P.S. She was goin&#39; through some thangs at the time. I will not going to see this movie or any movie of hers...unless TP casts her. Then I&#39;m forced to see her.

Black folks were hot @ her after MB. There was even a petition online to boycott all her future movies. The 30 folks who signed it were serious! http://www.petitiononline.com/halleno/petition.html

afromation
10-18-2007, 08:27 AM
if she could borrow a cup or two of acting chops from angela bassett (who i think overacts enough for 2.5 people in every movie she&#39;s in) then halle would be a&#39;ight.
[/b]

Wow. I thought I was the only one who thought this about Angela.

Lovelocks
10-18-2007, 08:28 AM
Yea, I&#39;m just not interested. It reminded me too much of Monster&#39;s Ball and I didn&#39;t even SEE MB. I just don&#39;t want to be bothered. But if someone on here says its good, I may give it a shot.

childofmist
10-18-2007, 08:29 AM
ditto that. she&#39;s a tired bore.
[/b]

Agreed! After I saw her in Queen I was like :huh: I think she is one of the most overrated actresses EVER.

tigress0509
10-18-2007, 08:32 AM
I actually want to see it. I didn&#39;t want to see MB, but this looks interesting to me. Nothing to do with Halle, even though I do like her... except as Storm in X-Men but that&#39;s a whole different thread.

GurlwithCurls
10-18-2007, 10:16 AM
I doubt I&#39;ll see it. I may catch it on cable just for Benicio. She does ok at the whole grief-stricken thing, but Halle is nothing special IMO, acting-wise. The premise of the film doesn&#39;t seem that compelling.

Besides "Monster&#39;s Ball", this film also reminds me of "21 Grams" which also starred Benicio, Sean Penn and Naomi Watts as a woman grieving her dead husband and kids.

guapa1
10-18-2007, 10:30 AM

Nothing new.
[/b]

:lol: :lol: And I bet it&#39;s an ugly one. Why can&#39;t she roll around with someone like George Clooney or Brad Pitt?

Damn, ya&#39;ll are playing her like Julia Stiles with another black dude.
[/b]

LMAO that is hilarious! Y&#39;all are crazy.

swingbolder
10-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Halle&#39;s a lousy actress. I haven&#39;t gone to the theater to see her in a movie since &#39;Boomerang.&#39;

I do wish her and her new baby well though. :)

arunadawn
10-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Will she EVER play opposite to a black man again? Come to it will Wesley Snipes EVER play opposite to a black woman again?

Thank you Lord for Tyler Perry because I was beginning to think that black people didnt marry and date each other anymore in movies.

bajanempress
10-18-2007, 12:50 PM
LOL whenever I say Halle can&#39;t act people say I&#39;m hating. Now I think she&#39;s beautiful but best suited for roles like Jinx in 007 movies because not much is required of her but to be hot. Even in Xmen she made me want to slit my wrists.

frau
10-18-2007, 02:35 PM
she was good in swordfish.

napturallyme
10-19-2007, 10:41 AM
I have absolutely no interest in seeing this movie. MB probably was the last Halle movie I&#39;ve seen. Halle&#39;s acting is mediocre.

femmefatales
10-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Wow!
Some people will never be satisfied and will criticize and complain and criticize and complain about there being no quality roles/movies and decry gabige like Soul Plane, Beauty Shop, White Chicks etc. yet, on the other hand, nitpick for reasons to not support movies like Things We... or even Tyler&#39;s new movie.
Halle is not the greatest of actresses (and Angela Bassett is equally as one-dimensional IMO) but I loved Monster’s Ball and felt Halle did an excellent job and played da hell out of that role. I think the best black actresses out there today are Kimberly Elise, Thandiwe Newton and Regina King.
[/b]
ITA with the bolded. Regina King is my girl and although she is crazy don&#39;t sleep on Vivica&#39;s acting chops.

olympia621
10-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Halle&#39;s acting isn&#39;t really strong but she could act her way out of the paper bag JLO is in.