PDA

View Full Version : Seriously Contemplating Going Natural

zoeisaiah
10-25-2007, 12:16 PM
hello all,

i am so glad to have found this site and looking forward to hearing your stories
let me try to sum it up.......
i must first admit that i am wanting to go natural as a last resort. before anyone gets offended or take this the wrong way, after much thought and research i am looking forward to it....
i was one of those females who felt like her hair was her crown and glory.....i am one of those that feel if my hair does not look right when i walk out the door my whole day is not going to go right......
but anyway here;s my hair history....
- been perming hair for the last 15-16 years (only visited hair dresser occasionally) did myself or by a select few of others
- had surgery (which required general anesthia) 6-7 years ago (mentioning this because a lot of people said the ansthia could've played a part
- had 2 babies recently back to back
and coloring and highlights...so basically my hair has been through it all and is fed up with it.
I am now left with a patchy like spot in the middle towards the back of my head...it's not a bald spot....but clearly it is broken all hte way down to where it looks like a TWA in the middle of my head......
i am surprised i got through all of this without busting into tears.............
Well at least i know that i am not alone and look forward to chatting with you all and learning how to prepare for my new natural hair :)

Cutie McPretty
10-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Welcome to NP. I would suggest visiting the transitioners forum as well as lurking in the photo album forum.

Enjoy going back to your natural hair :afro:.

zoeisaiah
10-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Welcome to NP. I would suggest visiting the transitioners forum as well as lurking in the photo album forum.

Enjoy going back to your natural hair :afro:.
[/b]

thanks much. i appreciate the welcome. is that you and if so is that all your hair in the disply pic ? Either way it looks really nice......

thiswomanswork
10-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Sista zoeisiah...You and your hair have been through a lot, but it sounds like you are in a good place. I recently did my "b/c" on 10/23/07 and I am feeling very good about it. I don't know what will help you with your decision either way, but I just figured out (this 'figuring' lasted 3 years!) my intention(s) for going natural and I was good from there. So even if I have a hair day that is "blah"...my intention is still the same and I can be at peace with that. May God bless you on your journey sista! I'll be adding photos as I get my film developed (so old school I know!).

mstsruffin
10-26-2007, 02:13 PM
God bless you, honey!! It's gonna be alright. If you do decide to go natural, we are behind you all the way. I bc'd back in June of this year and this website has help me alot. Talk to your stylist and whatever you do, pray before making ANY decision!! :D

Hadasah
10-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Hey! Welcome and congrats on your babies. ^_^

If you're unfamiliar with natural hair care then check out my signature and comment in the thread please. :D

Mellie3
10-26-2007, 03:19 PM
I would suggest visiting the transitioners forum as well as lurking in the photo album forum.
[/b]

ITA :) The transitioners forum is a great place to chat with others who are dealing with the "two-texture blues" and figuring out how to reach the BC point. And the photo albums :wub: my gosh, I had no idea what could be done with different hair textures until I started checking out the fotkis.

I am one of those that feel if my hair does not look right when i walk out the door my whole day is not going to go right......[/b]

I know what you mean here. To be perfectly honest, when I was a permie I felt like my hair never looked right (at least not when I did it myself). So I always felt self-conscious and kind of crabby. But since I went natural, I just wake up in the morning, do my daily ritual and go. I haven't had a bad hair day since the morning of my BC.

If you decide to go natural, the best thing to do is continue with your research, stock up on cute hair accessories and read up on good hair care products. It's okay to look in the mirror at first and just be in slight shock (I was after my BC) but the whole thing is a journey. It's the end of one thing and the beginning of something that will be a whole lot better for you and possibly more beautiful than you can imagine. :afro:

newmoe1
10-26-2007, 03:34 PM
CAN YOU GIVE US A GOOD REASON WHY YOU SHOULDN'T GO NATURAL ?

welcome just giving you something to think about

it wont be a breeze but it will be a learning experience one you will love at time one you will hate at time but in the end the benefits are huge
so you try and answer that question and if you cant come up with a good reason then do it

hope to see you around you can pm me anytime
peace

zoeisaiah
10-31-2007, 08:39 AM
thanks for all the replys, tips and kind words.
my decision is final--- i am going natural, although i have decided to transition until the end of december (with braids and i don't know what else ) and then bc the 31st of December; that way i can have a little bit of new growth and an interesting beginning with the new year. I will probably start posting pics once i do my bc in january............
Question: where did most of you guys go for your big chop ? I need someone that I can trust and that know what they are doing here......lol

Again, thanks a million & I appreciate it............

knickld
10-31-2007, 09:00 AM
thanks for all the replys, tips and kind words.
my decision is final--- i am going natural, although i have decided to transition until the end of december (with braids and i don't know what else ) and then bc the 31st of December; that way i can have a little bit of new growth and an interesting beginning with the new year. I will probably start posting pics once i do my bc in january............
Question: where did most of you guys go for your big chop ? I need someone that I can trust and that know what they are doing here......lol

Again, thanks a million & I appreciate it............
[/b]

keep us posted... and welcome ^_^

zoeisaiah
10-31-2007, 09:06 AM
:) will do & thanks

bebedee
10-31-2007, 11:58 AM

Again, thanks a million & I appreciate it............[/b]

Congrats on your decision and welcome to NP.....

I chose to go to a barber last December for my BC. I observed his care in cutting his other clients' hair and decided that I wanted him to cut mine. Others bravely do it themselves with a friend on hand to help by wetting their hair and cutting off all the non-kinky hair. Others cut it themselves and then go to a barber/stylist to clean it up. Decide what's best for you. PM me if you have any questions, and best wishes to you.

naturalisbeauty
10-31-2007, 12:26 PM
hooray! for you it really is a beautiful thing. ^_^

Mellie3
10-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Bebedee has some great advice for getting the BC. There aren't many barbershops in my area. Scratch that. There aren't any barbershops in my area. And all the beauty salons are either anti-nap :rolleyes: or specializing in caucasian hair. I didn't like either option, so I gave my husband a crash course in nappy vs. permed hair and showed him the difference. Then I gave him the scissors and asked him to get rid of all the straight crap on my head. That worked out really well. I suppose it all depends on what you're comfortable with. Lots of luck :)

natural06
11-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Welcome to the family.